Ortom kicks as EFCC arrest Benue PDP campaign DG over N100,000 – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Ortom kicks as EFCC arrest Benue PDP campaign DG over N100,000

Published

on

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has expressed concern over the arrest of the Director General or the Benue State Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Campaign Organisation, Dr. Cletus Tyokia by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for allegedly being in possession of N100,000.

The Governor made his position on the matter known shortly after casting his vote at Tse Ortom Polling Unit 016, Nzorov Council Ward, which was moved to Government Science and Technical College Gbajimba after the community was sacked by armed herdsmen.

The Governor said, “I received reports that the Direcror General of our campaign was arrested purportedly by the EFCC for having N100,000 on him. He was searched, what is the meaning of that. Are they agents of destruction, are they agents of destabilisation of the electoral process or what?

READ ALSO:

“Are you telling me that I should not have money for my upkeep or what. N100,000, it is a shame. I want to advise the EFCC to immediately release the Director of our campaign. He did not commit any offence. It is wrong; he was not buying votes, you can arrest him if he is buying votes.

“It is wrong, if they are paid agents of any particular political party to destabilise us on this election day that we have all prepared for, for over one year it is not correct.

“Whoever is the head of the EFCC Command in the state should know that what he has done is not correct.”

Efforts to reach the EFCC Public Relations Officer, Adebayo Adeniran was unsuccessful.

metro

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

Published

on

Timothy Omotoso

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

A High Court in the Eastern Cape division of South Africa has acquitted Timothy Omotoso, a Nigerian televangelist, accused of raping young women in his church.

Omotoso and his two co-defendants were arraigned on a 32-count charge bordering on rape and human trafficking.

News24 reported that Omotoso would be deported to Nigeria immediately after the judgment.
The co-defendants are Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho.

READ ALSO:

Several young women had accused the pastor of luring them into his home in Umhlanga, a town in South Africa, where he allegedly molested them.

In April 2017, the Nigerian pastor was arrested shortly after he landed at an airport in South Africa.
He is the senior pastor of the Jesus Dominion International based in Durban, South Africa. He is also the founder of Tim Omotoso Global Outreach and Ancient of Day Broadcasting Network

According to News24, Irma Schoeman, the trial judge, yesterday, ruled that the state prosecutor did not prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.
The Nigerian pastor had been in South African prison since his arrest in 2017.

South African court acquits Nigerian pastor of rape after 8 years in jail

Continue Reading

metro

Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport

Published

on

Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport

Justice Deinde I. Dipeolu of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, yesterday,  convicted and sentenced Okunfulure Olusola Steve to three Months imprisonment for money laundering.

Head, Media and Publicity, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Dele Oyewale, said, the convict was arrested on March 28, 2025, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, by operatives of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), for false currency declaration to the tune of $30,0000.

The NCS had, on Friday, March 28, 2025, handed him over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC,Ikoyi, Lagos, for further investigations.

Consequently, he was arraigned yesterday on one-count charge bordering on money laundering.

The count reads: “That you, Okunfulure Olusola Steve, on the 28th day of March, 2025, in Lagos, within the Jurisdiction of this Honorable Court, failed to make a declaration of the sum of $20,000 to the Nigerian Customs Service at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, and thereby committed an offence Contrary to and Punishable under Section 3(5) of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.”

The defendant pleaded “guilty” to the charge when it was read to him.

Following his guilty plea, prosecution counsel, C.C. Okezie called on Felicia Paul, an operative of the EFCC, to review the facts of the case.

READ ALSO:

Paul, while giving details of how she knew the defendant, told the court that the NCS handed him over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC on Friday, March 28, 2025.

Led in evidence by the prosecution counsel, Paul also told the court that the defendant was arrested with the sum of $30,000, which he failed to declare. She further told the court that “ his statement was recorded under caution and was served with the bail conditions.”

Thereafter, she identified the defendant’s statement, the handing-over note from the NCS, the arresting officer’s statement as well as the sum of $30,000 to the EFCC.

Okozie ,then sought to tender, in evidence, the documents.

Justice Dipeolu admitted and marked them as exhibits 1,2,3 and 4 and held that: “ I have read the exhibits, the statement of the defendant, and I found him guilty. He is accordingly convicted as charged.”

Okezie thereafter, prayed that the undeclared sum of $20,000 be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria and that the defendant be jailed.

Defence counsel, Joel Ogundere, while addressing the court, said that the defendant,“is a first-time offender and is not aware of the disclosure policy . He is a family man and has responsibilities. His bank account shows the legitimacy of the funds.”

He also prayed the court to, “ magnanimously waive any prison sentence”, adding that the convict would not mind forfeiting the sum of money or pay a fine.

Justice Dipeolu convicted and sentenced the defendant to three months imprisonment, with effect from the date of his arrest on March 28,2025. The Judge also ordered that the money be forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Steve, a departing passenger on Delta Airline to Atlanta, United States, had declared that he was not in possession of any  money in foreign currency but in Naira, while being profiled at the Currency Declaration Desk. 

However, the sum of $30,000 undeclared was found on him during a search conducted by operatives of the NCS.

He was subsequently handed over to the Lagos Zonal Directorate 2 of the EFCC for further investigations, a development that led to his arraignment and conviction.

Man jailed 3 months for non-declaration of $30,000 at airport

Continue Reading

metro

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge

Published

on

Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge 

By Dada Jackson

Many motorists, workers, traders, children and other people were trapped in a gridlock on roads around the Independence Bridge in Lagos for about seven hours due to repair work going on the closed bridge.

A lot of appointments were cancelled, flight missed, productivity at work low due to lateness and sales dwindled as the traffic dragged to the early hours of this morning.

Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular traffic.

The minister issued the directive on Wednesday following the massive traffic gridlock that stretched from Lekki through Victoria Island to Falomo Bridge and beyond.

The directive followed the earlier closure of the bridge by the Federal Government for planned maintenance and rehabilitation works.

READ ALSO:

However, the commencement of repairs on Wednesday caused major traffic with Lagos residents spending hours on the road.

The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, confirmed the latest development on Wednesday night.

She expressed the Ministry of Works’ regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation

She stated, “Efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable .

“The Ministry hereby express regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation.”

The Federal Ministry of Works clarified that the necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out at a later time

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge

Continue Reading

Trending