Politics
Osun Election: Defeat Already Staring PDP in the Face, Says Oyetola’s Campaign DG
The All Progressives Congress (APC) Campaign Council for the Osun 2022 governorship election has described as laughable and unfounded, the claim by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Ademola Adeleke that Governor Adegboyega Oyetola was asking civil servants in the state to surrender their Permanent Voter Cards, PVCs.
A statement signed by the Director General of the Campaign Council, Senator Ajibola Basiru, said the PDP was now running from pillar to post because defeat is already staring it in the face.
The Oyetola campaign team wondered where PDP and Ademola were when the workers’ union in the state openly endorsed the incumbent governor as its preferred choice one clear year before the election. It added that with what Governor Oyetola had done for workers in particular and generality of Osun people, he needs not coerce the electorate to vote for him come July 16.
“Ordinarily, we would have ignored the allegation by the Ademola Adeleke Campaign Council because it is laughable, unfortunate and unfounded. However, because those outside the state may be tempted to believe their lies, we felt compelled to puncture it with facts.
READ ALSO:
- APC has no governorship candidate in Akwa Ibom – INEC
- Africa Athletics Championships: Nigeria climbs to third spot on medals table
- Gale Of Defections Hit Kebbi APC As 2 Senators, 6 Others Join PDP
“It is sad that the Adeleke Campaign Council has consistently chosen the path of falsehood and misinformation as a campaign method and strategy. This is an indication that the PDP in Osun is down and it should stay down, accept its misfortune and stop making things worse for itself by polluting the political space with falsehood and propaganda.
“One, it is on record that since the creation of the state in 1991, this is the first time all workers’ unions will be unanimous in their decision to support a governorship candidate. Why does a popular and loved government need to threaten the workers that have already endorsed it for a second term? Why can’t the PDP candidate’s campaign Council keep quiet when it has nothing meaningful to say? Must the Adeleke people embarrass themselves everywhere, everyday?
“Two, this is the first time workers will devote May Day to the adoption of a governorship candidate. They did it last year. They adopted our candidate even before his emergence. This is because he (Governor Oyetola) has consistently prioritised their welfare and fulfilled all the pledges he made to them. Our candidate has delivered the goods and the civil servants are happy.
“Therefore, the workers on their own have resolved to campaign and vote for him because they do not want any kindergarten politician to come experiment with Osun.
“Three, this is the first time since the creation of the state that an administration will run a government for four years without any industrial unrest. If workers were not treated well, can that feat be achieved? Why do we need to coerce such people to vote for our party and candidate? They will naturally be our canvassers.
“Of course, we sympathise with the PDP’s desperation and lack of campaign prowess and materials. We feel their pain because nobody, no union, no group has found their candidate, Ademola Adeleke, good enough to adopt or support. They know they are a disappearing act. It is pathetic when a drowning man comes on air and spew out only misinformation.
“For the avoidance of doubt, it is worth repeating that Governor Oyetola did not, and will not ask civil servants to submit their PVCs under any guise. The Osun civil servants are in a good place and they know it. They also know that the PDP’s ship is at best a floundering and about-to-sink one.
“The PDP tried to use pensioners to blackmail the state government, it fell flat on their faces. This too, has failed. We therefore implore Mr. Adeleke’s Campaign Council to stay down, hide its ignorance and prepare to attend the inauguration ceremony of Oyetola for second term,” the statement said.
THISDAY
Politics
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
Less than 48 hours before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council elections, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairmanship candidate for Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Hon. Zadna Dantani, has pulled out of the race and declared support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Hon. Christopher Zakka Maikalangu.
Dantani’s withdrawal follows a similar move in Bwari Area Council, where the PDP candidate, Hon. Julius Adamu, stepped down in favour of APC’s Joshua Ishaku Musa, signalling a major shift in political alignment ahead of Saturday’s elections.
In a formal declaration, Dantani explained that his decision was influenced by high-level intervention from the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, whom he described as both “party leader and FCT leader.”
READ ALSO:
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
- MOMAN, ALCMAN Partner BKG to Drive Nigeria’s Shift from Auto Imports to Industrial Production
“I want to sincerely appreciate everyone who supported us. This decision is not about personal interests. The Honourable Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, emphasized that this is a brotherhood election. I am aligning with APC in support of the good works of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” Dantani said.
Dantani also confirmed that he had completed all legal formalities, including submitting a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), stating that the move was entirely voluntary and made after consultations with family and stakeholders.
He called on his supporters across AMAC’s 12 wards to vote for APC’s Christopher Maikalangu, describing the alignment as a step toward unity and effective governance in the territory.
Political analysts note that these high-profile PDP withdrawals in both AMAC and Bwari have reshaped the FCT political landscape, increasing APC’s chances of sweeping the elections and stirring debates about PDP’s internal cohesion ahead of upcoming local and national contests.
AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
Politics
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial district of Rivers State, Senator Mpigi Barinada is dead.
He was aged 64.
The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Works, Akin Alabi, confirmed the sad development in a tribute post on his official X handle on Thursday.
He wrote, “Good night my dear friend. Rest in Peace, Senator Mpigi Barinada. Sen Mpigi represented Rivers South East in the Senate”.
The Rivers Senator was the Chairman, Senate Committee on Works.
READ ALSO:
- Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
- Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
- Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Senator representing Nasarawa South, Mohammed Onawo, also paid glowing tribute to the late Rivers senator and urged his colleagues to honour his memory.
He spoke during the session of the Senate Committee on Culture and Tourism on Thursday.
First elected in 2011 to the lower house, he was re-elected for a second term in December 2016.
In 2019, he was elected as the Senator representing Rivers South East Senatorial District under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Politics
LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
The leadership crisis rocking the Labour Party (LP) has taken a new turn as the Julius Abure–led faction firmly rejected reconciliation efforts initiated by Abia State Governor Alex Otti, declaring it has no interest in any peace move proposed by him.
In a strongly worded response, the factional National Working Committee (NWC) led by Julius Abure described Governor Otti’s call for unity as dishonest, premature, and ill-fated, insisting that the internal dispute within the party is far from being resolved.
The Abure camp was reacting to Otti’s recent appeal for aggrieved factions within the party to sheathe their swords and work towards rebuilding the LP ahead of future elections. The governor had announced plans to set up a reconciliation committee, stating that the interim leadership would determine the appropriate timing.
However, the Abure faction dismissed the move outright, accusing Otti of playing a central role in triggering and escalating the crisis. According to the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Obiora Ifoh, the governor lacks the moral authority to champion reconciliation.
READ ALSO:
- Rivers Assembly Halts Impeachment Proceedings Against Gov Fubara
- PDP Chairmanship Candidate Withdraws, Backs APC Ishaku in FCT Polls
- Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others
“We are not interested in any reconciliation being proposed by Governor Alex Otti because he is largely responsible for the crisis facing the party today,” Ifoh said. He questioned why the governor was rushing reconciliation talks when legal battles over the party’s leadership are still ongoing, stressing that the matter is “far from over.”
The rejection comes amid heightened tensions following the removal of Abure’s leadership details from the INEC portal, a development that further deepened divisions within the opposition party.
Background: How the Labour Party Leadership Crisis Began
The Labour Party crisis stems from a prolonged power struggle over national leadership, which intensified after the 2023 general elections that significantly boosted the party’s national profile.
At the heart of the dispute are two rival factions: one led by Julius Abure, the party’s embattled national chairman, and another aligned with Nenadi Usman, who heads an interim leadership structure.
The crisis escalated when a court of first instance issued an order that effectively recognized the Nenadi Usman–led group as the authentic leadership of the party. Acting on the ruling, the Independent National Electoral Commission adjusted its records, delisting the Abure-led NWC from its official portal.
While Abure’s faction has since filed an appeal and maintains that the court ruling is not final, the Usman-aligned camp has continued to operate as the recognized leadership, widening the rift within the party.
Governor Otti, one of the most prominent LP officeholders, has publicly aligned with reconciliation efforts, arguing that internal unity is critical for the party’s survival. However, the Abure faction views his actions as politically motivated interference, rather than a genuine peace initiative.
With legal proceedings still pending and both factions refusing to back down, the Labour Party remains deeply divided, raising fresh concerns about its cohesion and electoral prospects ahead of future political contests.
LP Crisis Deepens as Abure Faction Rejects Otti’s Reconciliation Call
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International9 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


