Police ask hoodlums to return looted firearms from 205 police stations – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Police ask hoodlums to return looted firearms from 205 police stations

Published

on

The committee set up by the Inspector General of Police (IG), Mr Mohammed Adamu, to assess the level of damage to police formations during the #EndSARS protest has warned hoodlums who carted away firearms from 205 police stations in 17 states to return them or face prosecution.

The committee has also raised the alarm that the looting of the weapons at the end of the year when the rate of crime is potentially high is dangerous.

Speaking to THISDAY, the Chairman of the nine-member committee, Commissioner of Police (CP) Abutu Yaro, also urged parents to encourage their children in possession of the looted police firearms to return them.

Adamu had set up the nine-man committee to evaluate police losses during the #EndSARS protests.

Apart from Yaro, the committee has Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Atayero Patrick as vice-chairman and Adedeji Julius, a superintendent of police, as secretary.

Others are: ACP Sulaiman Gulma, ACP Samuel Dang, CSP Kehinde Ope, SP Chijioke Kalu, SP Ajibade Sunday, and DSP Mahmud Haruna as members of the committee.

The committee, which has visited police formations at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and Lagos State, will visit Ogun State Police Command today.

Yaro told THISDAY that it had become imperative to alert members of the public on the need to return the looted firearms to the police, implying that those who voluntarily return the looted items immediately will be spared.

He said: “We need to alert members of the public on the need to return looted police firearms in their possession. If you see people in possession of firearms, you should report to us.

“Parents, who see their children in possession of firearms, they should have the courage to report to us because we want to recover them. If they (hoodlums) make it impossible for us to recover them, if it’s found with them at a later time or in other locations, it may have some severe consequences.

“It’s important for you to help us educate some members of the public because anybody who is part of the arms’ loot can return it incognito because if it is found with them, there will be consequences. They will face prosecution.”

According to him, the IG led the committee to inspect sites of destruction in Lagos.

He said. “The inspection of some sections of the damage was undertaken by the IG himself. On the first day, the IG was able to go to Makinde, Ebute Ero and the destroyed palace of Oba Akiolu and some other places. We continued the next day because the damage in Lagos is extensive in 36 locations. So far, we have been able to see all. It’s a frightening scenario.

“Not only buildings were destroyed, police equipment, arms and ammunition were carted away.

“Carting away arms and ammunition when the year is ending, not a normal time, but a time of potential higher criminality is dangerous.

“It’s a grave situation but we have made some recoveries.

I think we are making progress.”

He urged community leaders to assist the police to recover stolen arms.

“There are many ways of returning these things. Community leaders could also help by reporting any firearms seen anywhere. They should help because it is important to retrieve these things because it is for the safety of everybody. If they are not checked, if we Nigerians do not react collectively at the end of the day, they may move from house to house and order you to bring out all your property. We are in a Hobbesian state and we need to checkmate it before it consumes everybody,” he stated.

Abutu said the committee would visit 17 states.

The terms of reference of the committee include physical visit of the scenes of incident and capture of pictorials of all damages done to police infrastructure and personnel; verify the fatalities suffered by the police; establish the weapons holdings that were lost during the incidents, among others.

-Thisday

News

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

Published

on

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

The leadership of the Organised Labour has responded to the Department of State Services (DSS) over its warning that the union should shelve its proposed protest billed to hold February 27 and 28.

DSS had admonished the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and its counterpart from Trade Union Congress (TUC) to rescind their decision, saying the plea was in the interest of peace across the country.

But reacting to the DSS’ warning, the President of NLC, Joe Ajaero, said DSS should not blackmail the Organised Labour and arrest those that want to use the opportunity of the protest to foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence as claimed.

The labour leader described the forthcoming action as “peaceful protest against unpardonable cost of living”, adding that the Congress would not fold its arm while Nigerians continue to live in penury.

He said: “We are concerned by the unsolicited advice of the Department of State Security to shelve our planned protest against the unprecedented high cost of living in spite of the indescribable suffering in the land, spiralling inflation, deepening poverty and the Naira at an exchange rate of N1,900 to the US Dollar.

READ ALSO:

“According to the Service, the planned protest should be shelved “in the interest of peace and public order”, pre-supposing that the action is intended to be violent and disruptive even when we have a history of peaceful protests.

“More worrying is the new role the Service has assigned to itself, the chief spokes person of the government.

“According to the Service, “It is common knowledge that all levels of Government are striving to ameliorate the prevailing economic condition and as such, should be given a benefit of the doubt, So far, appropriate authorities are working assiduously with a spectrum of stakeholders to fashion out modalities to address the current difficulties”.

“We are equally worried that although the Service is aware that some elements are planning to use the opportunity of the protest to foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence”, and yet have not executed the arrest of these elements.

“We are equally intrigued by the innuendos of the Service, their philosophy of “peace” and wild allegations and we want to reassure them that no one loves this country more than us and on our honour, we would never do anything that will compromise its sovereignty or security.

“Having said this, we would not have ourselves blackmailed or lied against by the Service. Our protest is a peaceful one against the unpardonable cost of living of which the unserviced personnel of the Service are also victims. We cannot fold our hands and pretend all is well. That will be a grievous conspiracy that history will not forgive.”

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

Continue Reading

News

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Published

on

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

The Ogun state government has closed the Nursing Department of Harvarde College of Science Business and Management Studies in Abeokuta as it operated without accreditation from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).  

The enforcement team, comprising officials from the Ogun Ministry of Health’s enforcement team and members of the State Nursing and Midwifery Committee (SNMC), sealed the department on Tuesday. 

The shutdown  

Dr Kayode Oladehinde, the Permanent Secretary of the Ogun Ministry of Health, revealed during the enforcement exercise that the private institution had been offering a degree program in Nursing Sciences for approximately six years without the required accreditation.  

  • Represented by the Acting Director of Nursing Services, Mrs. Serifat Aminu, Oladehinde stressed that such unauthorized programs contribute to quackery in nursing, posing a threat to public health. 

READ ALSO:

 

  • The nursing department will remain sealed until it obtains full accreditation, as emphasized by Oladehinde.  
  • He denounced the value of a Nursing degree obtained from Harvarde College and similar unaccredited institutions, stating that graduates would be unable to obtain a valid license to practice in Nigeria and other parts of the world. 

He expressed concern about the proliferation of institutions offering nursing degrees without accreditation, leading to the production of quacks in the nursing profession, which poses a danger to society.  

Oladehinde urged parents and candidates interested in nursing programs to conduct due diligence by checking the NMCN website for a list of accredited institutions, cautioning against wasting time and resources on unaccredited programs. 

The permanent secretary warned parents to be wary of institutions making false claims and assured that the Ogun government would continue its efforts to combat quackery in both the education and practice of the nursing profession in the state. 

In response to the closure, a 300-level student, who preferred to remain anonymous, expressed shock at the lack of accreditation, regretting the financial investment her parents had made on her behalf in the unaccredited program. 

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Continue Reading

News

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

Published

on

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

The Senate on Wednesday, February 21, confirmed the nomination of 17 persons for appointment as National Commissioners of the National Population Commission (NPC).

The red chamber also approved the appointment of Jalal Arabi as the chairman of the National Hajj Commission (NAHCON) and three other commissioners for the agency including, Aliyu Abdul-Razak (Commissioner – Policy, Personnel and Finance), Prince Anofiu Elegushi (Commissioner-Operations) and Prof. Abubakar A. Yagawal (Commissioner-Planning and Research).

The Commissioners of NAHCON cleared by the Senate are Hon Emmanuel Trump Eke (Abia), Dr Clifford Zirra (Adamawa), Mr. Chidi Christopher Ezeoke (Anambra), Isa Audu Buratai (Borno), Bishop Alex Ukam (Cross River), Ms Blessing Brume-Ataguba (Delta), Dr. Jeremiah Ogbonna Nwankwegu (Ebonyi), Dr. Tony Aiyejina (Edo), Mr Ejike Eze (Enugu), Mr. Abubakar Damburam (Gombe) and Prof. Uba Nnabue (Imo).

READ ALSO:

Others are Ms. Sa’adatu Dogon Bauchi Garba (Kaduna), Dr Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa (Kano), Hon Yori Afolabi (Kogi), Ms. Mary Ishaya Afan (Plateau), Mr Saany Sale (Taraba) and Mr. Ogiri Itotemaan Henry (Rivers).

The report on the screening of the NPC commissioners was presented by the chairman,

Senate Committee on National Identity Card and Population, Senator Abdul Ningi (PDP – Bauchi Central) while the report of the NPC was presented by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Senator Sani Bello.

The Senate also confirmed the nomination of Dr. Kelechi Ohiri for appointment as the director general of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA).

The chairman of Senate Commended on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), Senator Ipalibo Banigo (PDP – Rivers West) presented the report.

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content