POLICE DENY LAGOS JAILBREAK REPORT – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

POLICE DENY LAGOS JAILBREAK REPORT

Published

on

premiumtimesng.com

The Lagos Police Command has de denied a report of a cell break in the state.

It described the report as mischievous.

The report  had indicated that suspects fled from the detention of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Ikeja.

Many suspects were said to have fled from custody on Wednesday night while being moved to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Panti.

 But the spokesman for the police command, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, while refuting the claim said it was an unfounded, baseless and mischievous rumour.

The statement read in part, “The attention of the Lagos State Command has been drawn to a rumour making waves on the social media that some suspects of the disbanded SARS escaped from the cell at the command headquarters, Ikeja, Lagos State on Wednesday.

“The command perceives such rumour unfounded, mischievous and baseless. It is an attempt to cause fear and panic in the minds of Lagosians, and distracting the command.

“In line with the directive of the IGP, the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba, has taken over the disbanded SARS and other tactical units’ buildings in Ikeja and other satellite offices across the state, including the suspects.

“It’s pertinent to state that some of the suspects, who have been convicted, have undergone COVID-19 test which is a prerequisite to accepting them into correctional centres; but the command awaits their results before further actions. “The suspects in all the cases handled by the disbanded SARS are intact.

“The Deputy Commissioner of Police, State CID, Panti, Yaba, DCP Yetunde Longe, has temporarily relocated to the disbanded SARS building at Ikeja for thorough supervision and accountability of the taking over the process.

“The command, therefore, urges the public to regard the news as a rumour, baseless and mischievous to suit the intention of the originator(s) as the command is committed to reforming the policing system and providing adequate security for all in the state.”

News

Senate forms panel to investigate CBN’s N30 trillion loan to FG

Published

on

Senate forms panel to investigate CBN’s N30 trillion loan to FG

The Senate has established a nine-member committee to probe the N30 trillion Ways and Means advances provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to the federal government.

During Tuesday’s session presided over by Deputy Senate President Barau Jibrin, Senator Jibrin Isah (representing Kogi East) was appointed the committee’s chairman.

The Senate’s decision to investigate the utilization of the loan follows its adoption of the report from the Joint Committee on Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions, Finance, National Planning, Agriculture, and Appropriations last week.

Ways and Means is a loan facility extended by the CBN to the federal government to address budget shortfalls.

READ ALSO:

The loan facility has stirred controversy, with experts raising concerns over the CBN surpassing its lending limits to the federal government, contrary to existing laws.

Barau, in his statement before announcing the committee’s composition, highlighted that excessive borrowing has contributed to inflation in the country.

He remarked, “The financial obligation to the CBN now stands at N30 trillion. It is therefore imperative to scrutinize the N30 trillion Ways and Means loans to recover whatever is feasible.”

The ad hoc committee includes Ekpeyong Asuquo, Mohammed Tahir Monguno, Victor Umeh, Olamilekan Adeola, Sani Mohammed Musa, Aliyu Wadada, Abdul Ningi, and Ipalibo Banigo Harry. They have been granted four weeks to submit their report for further legislative action.

Senate forms panel to investigate CBN’s N30 trillion loan to FG

Continue Reading

News

NLC suspends nationwide protests, gives govt fresh March 13 ultimatum

Published

on

NLC suspends nationwide protests, gives govt fresh March 13 ultimatum

 

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its two-day nationwide protests.

It also announced a March 13 ultimatum to the government to meet all its demands.

The NLC disclosed these in a communiqué issued Tuesday night but declared that its nationwide action would continue on Wednesday with press conferences.

The union had declared a two-day nationwide mass protest for February 27 and 28, over the economic hardship facing millions of Nigerians since the removal of the petrol subsidy in May 2023.

The NLC and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) on February 8, gave a 14-day ultimatum to the Federal Government over the rising cost of living in the country.

A late night meeting on Monday between the Federal Government and the NLC was failed to stop the nationwide protests.

On Tuesday morning, the protesters began their marches from the Labour House in Abuja and the Ikeja under-bridge in Lagos, while chanting solidarity songs and slogans.

Joe Ajaero, NLC president, and Omoyele Sowore, presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC) in the 2023 election, led the Abuja rally.

But in a communique at the end of its national executive council meeting on Tuesday, the NLC said the objectives of the protest were achieved on the first day of the demonstration.

It stated, “Consequently, NEC-in-session resolved as follows: to suspend street action for the second day of the Protest having achieved overwhelming success thus attained the key objectives of the 2-day protest on the first day.

“However, nationwide action continues tomorrow with simultaneous Press Conferences across all the states of the federation by the state councils of the Congress including the National Headquarters.”

The NLC NEC also resolved in its meeting, to “reaffirm and extend the 7-days ultimatum by another 7 days which now expires on the 13th day of March, 2024 within which the government is expected to implement all the earlier agreements of the 2nd day of October, 2023 and other demands presented in our letter during today’s nationwide protest.

“To meet and decide on further lines of action if on the expiration of the 14 days government refuses to comply with the demands as contained in the ultimatum.”

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu launches initiative to balance expatriate quota in Nigeria 

Published

on

Tinubu launches initiative to balance expatriate quota in Nigeria 

 

President Bola Tinubu on Tuesday launched the Expatriate Employment Levy (EEL), an initiative aimed at facilitating homegrown skill retention and technology domestication.

It is also to balance employment opportunities between Nigerians and expatriates in foreign firms in Nigeria.

Speaking at the launch of the EEL handbook, the President said the aim is to close wage gaps between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force, while increasing employment opportunities for qualified Nigerians in foreign companies operating in the country.

Tinubu, however, warned that the scheme should not be used to discourage foreign investors.

The President said, “We expect improved revenue generation; improved naturalization and indigenization; we anticipate the employment of more qualified Nigerians by foreign companies operating in this country.

“We seek a greater balancing of employment opportunities between Nigerians and expatriates and the closure of the wage gap between expatriates and the Nigerian labour force by making it more attractive to hire Nigerians.

“I declare my support for the Expatriate Employment Levy scheme, and I will continue to encourage the operators, practitioners of immigration matters and expatriate quotas, but I emphasize: do not use it as a bottleneck; do not use it as an obstacle to frustrate potential investors.

“There will be clear lines of implementation and effective acceleration of aims and objectives of this programme.

“Officials in charge of immigration matters, expatriate quotas, and relevant stakeholders have to be effectively guided to make Nigeria the focus of the objective of this EEL.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content