Connect with us

Education

Police probe 19-year-old who threatened JAMB with N1b suit

Published

on

There was mild drama at the headquarters of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Bwari, FCT on Friday when Chinedu Ifesinachi John, a 19-year-old candidate in the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), who accused the board of altering his original score of 380, was handed over to the Nigeria Police for investigation.

The candidate, according to JAMB’s Head of Information and Media, Fabian Benjamin, has allegedly confessed to committing the offence.

He said: “The candidate who was paraded for forging the Board’s result has confessed after the Board discovered that he saved his sister’s number on his phone as 55019 and used the phone to send the fake result to his phone. When he sends such results they come as 55019.

“He pleaded for mercy that he had to do that when the result he got was not up to what could give him his desired programme.

“The police are on their way to Enugu to arrest his sister.”

There was mild drama at the headquarters of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Bwari, FCT on Friday when Chinedu Ifesinachi John, a 19-year-old candidate in the 2021 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), who accused the board of altering his original score of 380, was handed over to the Nigeria Police for investigation.

The candidate, according to JAMB’s Head of Information and Media, Fabian Benjamin, has allegedly confessed to committing the offence.

He said: “The candidate who was paraded for forging the Board’s result has confessed after the Board discovered that he saved his sister’s number on his phone as 55019 and used the phone to send the fake result to his phone. When he sends such results they come as 55019.

“He pleaded for mercy that he had to do that when the result he got was not up to what could give him his desired programme.

“The police are on their way to Enugu to arrest his sister.”

John had claimed he scored 380 in the examination conducted in June this year and was surprised to receive 265 from the board after the results were released. After several enquiries, 265 kept appearing as his score as against the 380 score.

Following the alleged “alteration” of the UTME score, his father, John Ifenkpam approached an Enugu – based lawyer, Ikeazor Akaiwe, who wrote to JAMB for another opportunity for the boy to retake the examination and demanded N1 billion as damages.

The lawyer said the N1 billion was to cover physical and emotional trauma the boy had suffered from being offered “two separate scores from 2019 – 2021.”

John claimed that his UTME scores from 2019 till 2021 had been “altered” by the board, thereby denying him the opportunity to study his desired course – medicine.

On Friday, the candidate, his father and lawyers traveled down to Abuja from Enugu state following an invitation from the management of the board led by the Registrar of JAMB, Prof Is-haq Oloyede.

Initially, the boy was given some minutes to “come clean” in a closed session with his father and lawyers about the results he was parading but insisted that his original score from the examination was 380.

At the Friday meeting, documentary evidence tendered by the board showed that John actually scored 265 not the 380 he had claimed.

Oloyede accused the candidate of result tempering, adding that he will be handed over to the police for investigation and subsequently prosecuted.

The Registrar said John was among 11 eleven other candidates who allegedly forged their results that the board would prosecute.

He said the original result issued to John would be withdrawn pending the end of the investigation.

He also said a team of security agents would visit Enugu state to arrest members of a tutorial group the boy confessed to belong to.

John’s lawyer, Ikeazor, appealed to the board to give room for further investigation.

He said: “I will not stand against investigation. Let there be investigation but what I will not agree to is to prejudge him.”

Education

Varsity Strike: ASUU demands exclusion of Ngige from negotiations

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has accused the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, of allowing the over four-month strike in nation’s universities to linger.

President of the union, Prof Emmanuel Osodeke, who stated this on Friday, also denied the claim by the minister that the union was invited to meeting on Thursday.

On Wednesday, Ngige said the FG would soon resolve issues on the strike by ASUU and that concerns over payment platforms would be addressed with the union and other stakeholders in the next meeting fixed for Thursday.

But speaking on Sunrise Daily, a Channels Television programme, on Friday, the President of ASUU, Emmanuel Osodeke, said the union did not receive any letter of invitation from the minister.

He said Ngige should remove himself from the ongoing negotiation because the minister had worsened the situation.

He said, “We were not invited to any meeting. None of our members was invited. We have a secretariat but we never got any invitation from them.

“The problem we have with this government, especially with the minister of labour, is that if you can tell the world that you have fixed a meeting which you didn’t; how do you expect us to believe other things you have said?

“He should confirm to the world that he sent an invitation to ASUU for a meeting on Thursday.

“The minister of labour should leave us to deal with the minister of education. He was the one that made this matter worse to this extent. He was the one that decided to use hunger as a weapon, when he said no work no pay.”

ASUU, on February 14, declared a one-month warning strike to protest the non-implementation of its demands by the FG.

But on March 14, the union extended the action by eight weeks, citing the government’s failure to fully address its demands.

On May 6, Ngige promised that the FG would resume negotiations with ASUU with the aim of ending the strike.

Three days after his promise, the union extended the strike by another 12 weeks.

Continue Reading

Education

Supreme Court verdict: MSSN urges Lagos to issue circular on Hijab

Published

on

MSSN Lagos State Area Unit Amir (President), Miftahudeen Thanni

•Seeks sanction for defaulting principals, teachers

Continue Reading

Education

ASUU will call off four-month strike soon – Ngige

Published

on

Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, on Wednesday said the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities would soon be called off.

He stated this while briefing State House correspondents at the end of the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by the President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential villa, Abuja.

Ngige said efforts were underway to resolve the ongoing dispute between the FG and ASUU over payment platforms.

ASUU, which grounded academic activities in Nigerian universities since February 14, 2022, had insisted on the use of its own generated payment platform, University Transparency and Accountability Solution.

It premised its demand on claims that the government-backed Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System was shortchanging its members.

However, the Federal Government, last March claimed that UTAS was unfit for wide-scale use as it failed three integrity tests.

Aside from UTAS, the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities and Non-Academic Staff Union of Allied and Educational Institutions also proposed their payment platform: Universities Peculiar Personnel Payroll System.

Ngige argued that the Federal Government was indeed engaging with ASUU, despite notions that it has been snubbing the union.

He also said there were no plans to establish an alternative payment table for all the labour unions in tertiary institutions.

Continue Reading

Trending