Queen of England greets Nigeria at 60 – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Queen of England greets Nigeria at 60

Published

on

Queen Elizabeth II of England has congratulated Nigeria on its 60th independence anniversary.
Nigeria gained independence from Britain on October 1, 1960.
Prior to independence, the northern and southern regions of the country were amalgamated in 1914 by Frederick Lugard, a British soldier and colonial administrator.
Since the amalgamation, Nigerians have lived together despite clamours of secession in some quarters.
In a statement on Wednesday, Femi Adesina, presidential spokesman, said the congratulatory message from the Queen of England was conveyed to the presidency by the British high commission in Nigeria.
In the message quoted by Adesina, the Queen prayed for happiness and prosperity in Nigeria.
She also called for stronger bonds between Nigeria and the United Kingdom.
“It gives me great pleasure to offer my warmest congratulations on the 60th anniversary of Nigeria’s Independence, together with my best wishes for your country’s continued happiness and prosperity,” the message read.
“The United Kingdom and Nigeria benefit from strong and enduring ties as Commonwealth partners through shared history and most importantly, our people. These are bonds that I hope and believe will flourish.”

News

Tinubu says new minimum wage ready for legislative action

Published

on

Tinubu says new minimum wage ready for legislative action

President Bola Tinubu said on Wednesday that an agreement had been reached on a new minimum wage between the Federal Government and organised labour.

He stated this in his national broadcast to mark the 2024 Democracy Day in Abuja.
Tinubu added that an executive bill would soon be sent to the National Assembly to legalise the new minimum wage.

He said, “We have negotiated in good faith and with open arms with organised labour on a new national minimum wage.

“We shall soon send an executive bill to the National Assembly to enshrine what has been agreed upon as part of our law for the next five years or less.”

He said his administration chose a democratic approach over dictatorship in addressing the demands of labour.

“In the face of labour’s call for a national strike, we did not seek to oppress or crack down on the workers as a dictatorial government would have done. We chose the path of cooperation over conflict.

“No one was arrested or threatened. Instead, the labour leadership was invited to break bread and negotiate toward a good-faith resolution. Reasoned discussion and principled compromise are hallmarks of democracy.

“These themes shall continue to animate my policies and interaction with the constituent parts of our political economy,” Tinubu said.

The President added, “I take on this vital task without fear or favour and I commit myself to this work until we have built a Nigeria where no man is oppressed.

“In the end, our national greatness will not be achieved by travelling the easy road. It can only be achieved by taking the right one.

“The words of the American President Franklin Roosevelt certainly ring true: There are many ways of going forward. But only one way of standing still.”

The labour had settled for N250,000 as new minimum wage, while the Federal Government team stayed on N62,000, both proposals were sent to President Tinubu at the close of negotiation on the issue.

This came after several failed meetings between the government and labour unions.

Continue Reading

News

Appeal Court rejects Kanu’s move to challenge IPOB’s proscription

Published

on

leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu with some of his lawyers

Appeal Court rejects Kanu’s move to challenge IPOB’s proscription

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has rejected an application by detained leader of the proscribed separatist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu seeking to be allowed to challenge the order proscribing the group.

In a judgment, the Court of Appeal upheld the argument by lawyer to the federal government, Oyin Koleosho, that the application filed for Kanu by his lawyer, Alloy Ejimakor, was inappropriate.

Kanu had, in the application, sought to be allowed to appeal, as an interested party, the January 18,  2018 ruling by Justice Abdu Kafarati of the Federal High Court, Abuja (now late) affirming his earlier ex-parte order of September 20, 2017 proscribing IPOB and designating it a terrorist group.

It was part of Kanu’s contention that, since the Fed Govt allegedly capitalised on the IPOB proscription order to charge him with belonging to, and leading a terrorist group, he was qualified as an interested party, who should be allowed to part of a pending appeal filed by IPOB against the order proscribing it.

In the judgment delivered on May 30, a certified true copy (CTC) of which The Nation saw on June 12, a three member panel of the Court of Appeal held that it was inappropriate for Kanu to have filed his application directly at the appellate court.

Justice Hamma Barka, in the lead judgment, held that, as an applicant seeking leave to appeal as an interested party, Kanu ought to first file his application before the Federal High Court, Abuja, whose decision he sought to appeal.

READ ALSO:

Justice Barka further held that Kanu’s failure to first file his application before the Federal High Court was a violation of Order 6 Rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Rules 2021.

He said: “In the instant case, it is apparent that no such leave was sought from the court below, thus, an affront to the provisions of Order 6 Rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Rules, 2021.

“This knocks off the present application as being incompetent, not capable of being granted.

“The consideration of all other issues canvased to my mind will amount to an academic exercise for which courts are enjoined not to embark upon, and for this singular reason, the application being incompetent is accordingly struck out.”

Upon an ex-parte motion by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), marked: FHC/AB)/CS/871/2017, Justice Kafarati had, in a ruling on September 20, 2017 ordered as follows:

*That an order declaring that the activities of the respondent (Indigenous People of Biafra) in any part of Nigeria, especially in the South east and South-South regions of Nigeria, either in groups or as individuals, amounts to acts of terrorism and illegality is granted.

*That an order proscribing the existence of the respondent (Indigenous People of Biafra) in any part of Nigeria, especially in the South east and South-South regions of Nigeria, either in groups or as individuals by whatever name they are called and publishing same in the official gazette and two national dailies, is granted.

*That an order restraining any person or group of persons from participating in any manner whatsoever in any form of activities involving or concerning the prosecution of the collective intention or otherwise of the respondent (Indigenous People of Biafra) under any other name or platform however called or described, is granted.

IPOB later applied to the court for it to set aside the orders, and in a ruling on January 18, 2018, Justice Kafarati dismissed IPOB’s application and affirmed his earlier orders proscribing the group and designating it a terrorist organisation.

IPOB subsequently lodged an appeal at the Court of Appeal, Abuja against the January 18, 2018 ruling.

It is the appeal, marked: CA/A/214/2018 that Kanu applied to be given permission to join as an interested party.

Appeal Court rejects Kanu’s move to challenge IPOB’s proscription

Continue Reading

News

No agreement reached with FG on new minimum wage, labour counters Tinubu

Published

on

No agreement reached with FG on new minimum wage, labour counters Tinubu

Organised Labour has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s claims that an agreement has been reached on new national minimum wages in his nationwide broadcast to make Democracy Day.

According to Organized Labour at the time negotiations ended on Friday, June 7, there was no agreement reached by the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage.

READ ALSO:

Rather, two figures such as N250,000 from Organised Labour and N62,000 from government and Organised Private Sector, OPS were arrived at and ought to have been submitted to the President.

In a statement by the Acting President of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Prince Adewale Adeyanju, Labour noted that anything to the contrary was not only doctored but won’t be accepted by Labour.

No agreement reached with FG on new minimum wage, labour counters Tinubu

Continue Reading

Trending