Connect with us

News

Recruitment: 925 names smuggled on constable list, says PSC

Published

on

The Police Service Commission (PSC) said on Tuesday that a total of 925 persons who did not undergo any of recruitment process for 10,000 Constables were smuggled on the list last year.

It said the 925 persons neither applied for the job nor went through screening, aptitude test and medical examinations.

The PSC said this while refuting allegations it was withholding the payment for some police constables recruited last year.

A statement signed by spokesman for the commission, Ikechukwu Ani, said all constables properly recruited had been screened and their appointment letters released capturing into the Integrated Pay-Roll and Personnel Information System, (IPPIS) for the payment of their salaries and allowances approved.

It stated, “The commission wishes to clarify that it had to bend backwards to accommodate the list of these candidates even after the Court of Appeal gave judgment in favour of the Commission nullifying the hijack of the recruitment exercise by the Nigeria Police Force.

“The Appeal Court judgment which is still subsisting had declared the exercise null and void and returned the constitutional powers of the commission to recruit all persons into the Nigeria Police Force.

“It is also necessary to clarify that in the cause of screening of the list of the 10,000 successful candidates, the commission discovered that 925 persons never applied for recruitment and did not go through the stages and processes of recruitment. These included screening, aptitude test and medical examinations.”

It added, “The commission however in the overall interest of the nation and considering that resources had been expended in the training of these candidates and that these candidates had been exposed to weapon and weaponry decided to rescreen them.

“These candidates already rescreened, except those found to be criminally minded (with mutilated certificates) are expected to be absorbed into the Force.

“The commission is expected to approve their recruitment at its next Plenary Meeting holding next week after which they will receive letters of appointment and subsequently captured by IPPIS.”

News

Cash crunch: Protesters defy police in Abeokuta, make bonfires on major roads

Published

on

Residents of Abeokuta, Ogun State, took to the streets on Tuesday protesting the scarcity of cash and the attendant pains.

Major streets affected by the protests are Aladesanmi, Fajol and Somorin in Obantoko area of Abeokuta as the protesters made bonfires and chanted anti-CBN songs
The Sapon branch of First Bank was also vandalised and the protesters tried to set it ablaze.
Ogun Police spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed the protest, saying police officers were on the ground to monitor the situation and prevent the destruction of property and loss of lives.
He said some group of boys were involved in the crisis.
The police later came to disperse the protesters but they regrouped as soon as the operatives withdrew from the scene.
The situation affected vehicular movement as motorists and pedestrians ran in different directions to avert being caught up in the chaotic situation.

Continue Reading

News

Court frees Diezani associate Omokore of $1.6bn fraud

Published

on

An Abuja federal high court on Tuesday discharged and acquitted Jide Omokore, chairman of Atlantic Energy Drilling Concepts Nigeria Limited, of $1.6bn fraud allegations.

Omokore, an associate of former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, was arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) with Victor Briggs, Abiye Membere, and David Mbanefo on a 15-count charge on July 4, 2016.

They were accused of fraudulently diverting the $1.6bn said to be part of proceeds of sales of petroleum products belonging to the Federal Government.

Continue Reading

News

FG raises N742.56bn Sukuk fund for road projects

Published

on

The Federal Government, through Debt Management Office (DMO), has raised N742.56 billion via Sovereign Sukuk for the construction and rehabilitation of roads across the country.

This is from 2017 till December 2022. Director General of DMO, Patience Oniha, made the disclosure in Abuja on Monday while presenting the 2022 Sovereign Sukuk cheque of N130 billion to various implementing ministries (Works and Housing and Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

She stated that the money will be released as part of the Capital Expenditure in the 2022 Appropriation Act, which has been extended by the National Assembly to March 31, 2023.

According to her, the Sukuk issuance journey has paid off with the first N100 billion realised in September, 2017.

She said: “The DMO has issued Sukuk four more times bringing the total amount raised as at December 2022 to N742.56 billion. From the Sukuk issued between 2017 and 2021, a total of N612.56 billion was raised and deployed to the construction and rehabilitation of sections of 71 roads and four bridges covering a total of 2,820.06km.

READ ALSO:

“I wish to commend the implementing Ministries and their various contractors for supporting the DMO in this initiative. Not surprisingly, the two Ministries are also beneficiaries of the N130 billion 2022 Sovereign Sukuk, whose proceeds will be similarly deployed to road projects”

Oniha added that through the Sovereign Sukuk initiative, the DMO has demonstrated its strong alignment with the policy of President Muhammadu Buhari infrastructural development.

She noted that the agency has positioned itself not only as one for managing the public debt including borrowing on behalf of the Federal Government, but as an active stakeholder in the domestic capital market through innovation, investor engagement and collaboration with other stakeholders.

“These have deepened the market, created benchmarks for other borrowers and promoted financial inclusion by providing a retail product, FGN Savings Bond, as well as, Sukuk and Green Bonds for ethical investors”, she stated.

Earlier in her remarks, the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, noted that Sukuk, a project-tied debt instrument, was one of the many innovative and very successful initiatives of the Buhari administration towards financing the development of critical infrastructure in the country.

She gave a breakdown of the beneficiary Ministries as: Federal Ministry of Works and Housing – N110,000,000,000 and the Federal Capital Territory Administration – N20,000,000,000.

“As at November 2022, N1.88 trillion had been released as Capital Expenditure, which represents about 40 percent performance when compared to the total Capital Budget of N4.7 trillion. This informed the need to extend the period to implement the capital component of the 2022 budget”, she explained.

SUN

Continue Reading

Trending