Sports
Ronaldo to lead Portugal against Eagles Nov 17

The Nigeria Football Federation and Federação Portuguesa de Futebol have signed a formal agreement for the Super Eagles and A Seleção to clash in a prestige international friendly at the Estádio José Alvalade on November 17 in Lisbon.
The three-time African champions are already billed to play 2019 African champions Algeria on September 27 in Oran.
The match with Portugal will be the first clash at senior men’s level for both countries, though last year summer, the Super Falcons and the Portuguese women’s national team fought out a thrilling 3-3 draw in the USWNT Summer Series in Houston, Texas, USA.
READ ALSO:
- Ndidi fancies Leicester’s EPL chances
- PDP crisis: Ayu, not Jibrin, should resign, says Wike
- 20 Venezualans Vanish After Their Prophetess Promised Them ‘a Meeting With God’
Portugal will be led by five-time Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo, easily one of the best footballers the world has ever seen, while the Eagles will be led at the fore by Napoli forward Victor Osimhen, growing to be one of the most lethal strikers in world football.
It can also be recalled that in 1989, Portugal’s U-20 team defeated Nigeria’s U-20 2-0 in the final of the U-20 World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Eagles have won the Africa Cup of Nations on three occasions (as well as Olympic men’s football gold, silver and bronze) while Portugal won her first continental trophy (Euro Championship) in France in 2016, defeating hosts France 1-0 after extra time at the Stade de France.
As hosts, A Seleção lost the Euro Championship final to Greece in 2004.
Punch
Sports
Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final

Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final
It was mission accomplished, said Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti after his side fought back from two-goals behind to snatch a rip-roaring 4-4 draw on Tuesday for a 5-4 aggregate win that put them through against Real Sociedad to the Copa del Rey final.
Ancelotti brushed off questions about a sub-par performance by Real Madrid and praised his players’ effort in what he considered a highly entertaining encounter.
“We have achieved our goal today which was to reach the final and there is not much time to think about it,” Ancelotti told a press conference.
“It was an entertaining game with some mistakes and a lot of good things. It was fun and we are in the final.
READ ALSO:
- Rainstorm destroys schools, mosques, others in Kwara community
- Rivers police arrest General Overseer for alleged homosexuality
- CBN posts $23bn net FX reserve, strongest in three years
“I never saw ourselves out of it because anything can happen at the Bernabeu. When we have to come from behind, we never give up. We never give up, especially at home, with the fans by our side.”
Ancelotti said David Alaba was not to blame after he deflected two balls into his own goal, calling it “bad luck” by the Austrian defender, but urged his defence to play with better focus moving forward.
“It’s not good to concede four goals in a game,” Ancelotti said.
“Right now we are a team that has a lot of effectiveness up-front, but little balance.
“However, we can’t ignore what we did in attack, scoring four goals against Real is not that easy. I think we are doing quite well.”
Real Madrid, who have won the Spanish Cup only once in over a decade, will play either Barcelona or Atletico Madrid in a mouth-watering final in Seville next month.
Atletico fought back to hold Barca to a thrilling 4-4 draw ahead of Wednesday’s second-leg in Madrid.
Ancelotti says mission accomplished as Real Madrid reach cup final
Sports
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham

Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham
Arsenal secured a crucial 2-1 victory over Fulham at the Emirates Stadium, with Bukayo Saka making a triumphant return from injury to score the decisive goal.
The match saw the Gunners dominate possession, but it was Fulham who came closest to scoring in the opening stages.
Arsenal struggled to break down their resolute defence early on, with Gabriel Martinelli having a goal ruled out for offside and several opportunities narrowly missed.
In the 37th minute, Mikel Merino gave Arsenal the lead, collecting a pass from Ethan Nwaneri to strike a low shot past Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno. The first half ended with Fulham unable to find an equaliser, despite a couple of dangerous moments.
READ ALSO:
- Nigerian Army opens online registration for new intakes
- Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania
- Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
The turning point came just after the hour mark when Arsenal doubled their advantage. Gabriel Martinelli delivered a perfect cross, and Saka, making his return to action, rose to head home a brilliant goal. The Gunners were cruising with a comfortable 2-0 lead.
However, Fulham responded on added time when Rodrigo Muniz capitalised on a deflected shot to pull one back for the visitors. Despite the late pressure, Arsenal’s defence held firm, and the match finished 2-1 in their favour.
Saka’s return was a key moment, not only for the goal but also for the confidence he brought to the team, sealing another vital three points for Arsenal in their quest for the title.
Saka’s stunning return powers Arsenal to victory over Fulham
Sports
Maguire, Yoro set for Man United return

Maguire, Yoro set for Man United return
Manchester United manager, Ruben Amorim has confirmed that defenders, Harry Maguire and Leny Yoro are available to play against Nottingham Forest in the Premier League on Tuesday.
The Red Devils boss issued fitness updates on the injured players in the squad including England left-back Luke Shaw, who Amorim says he has returned to training but is still building his fitness before a return to first-team action.
Leny Yoro has suffered repeated injuries this season after arriving at the club from Lille in the summer.
The 19-year-old has been out since March 9 when he picked up a foot injury during United’s draw with Arsenal.
Maguire has been unavailable with a calf injury since the end of February.
READ ALSO:
- Amosun, Adeola engage in verbal attack over project diversion allegation
- Iran warns US against attack, threatens with nuclear weapon
- Lagos Govt says speed limit rules have come to stay
Amorin confirmed that Luke Shaw returned to training on Friday but also noted that the left-back is still working on his fitness before a return to first-team action.
“Luke [Shaw] is not ready yet. We are starting to do some drills with the team but we are building Luke,” Amorim said.
The Red Devils manager also issued injury updates on Mason Mount, Kobbie Mainoo, Johnny Evans, and Lisandro Martinez.
“Mason Mount is feeling better but he was on the bench in the last game, Kobbie [Mainoo] is almost ready, Jonny [Evans] is recovering, [Lisandro Martínez] is out. [Harry] Maguire is also ready to go to the game and [Leny] Yoro, yes,” Amorim added.
Maguire, Yoro set for Man United return
-
metro1 day ago
BREAKING: Senator Natasha defies restrictions, arrives homecoming rally by helicopter [VIDEO]
-
metro2 days ago
Uromi: Edo residents flee towns over likely reprisal attack, arrest
-
International3 days ago
In pictures: Eid celebrations around the world
-
metro2 days ago
Breaking: ‘Cancel your homecoming’ — Police tell Senator Natasha
-
metro2 days ago
How they murdered my Kano-bound passengers in Edo
-
metro2 days ago
‘I was offered N5bn bribe to impeach Fubara’
-
metro19 hours ago
Breaking: Tinubu sacks Kyari, appoints Ojulari as new NNPCL GCEO
-
Sports3 days ago
Nigerian boxer collapses, dies in ring during fight in Ghana