International
Russia okays S’Arabia venue for potential Ukraine peace talks
Russia okays S’Arabia venue for potential Ukraine peace talks
MOSCOW: Saudi Arabia is “sincere” in its efforts and would be an acceptable location for Russian-Ukrainian peace talks, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday, but any negotiations would be dependent on Ukraine lifting its ban on dealing with Russia.
During a press conference following the launch of the BRICS Business Forum in the Russian capital, Putin said in response to an Arab News question that he was open to the idea of participating in a peace conference hosted by Saudi Arabia, but noted that while the Kingdom would be an acceptable venue, the substance of the discussions would matter more than the location.
“If such measures are organized in Saudi Arabia and the place, the venue, is acceptable, that would be acceptable to us,” he said, replying to a question from Arab News Editor-in-Chief Faisal J. Abbas.
However, Putin stressed that the focus of any talks should be based on previous negotiations, specifically the draft agreement initially reached in Istanbul in 2022, which he says Ukraine later backed away from.
“We are ready to continue a dialogue to attain peace, but building on a document that was prepared for detailed discussions for many months and was initialed by the Ukrainian side,” he said, adding that it was Ukraine, not Russia, that had halted negotiations.
Saudi Arabia, despite condemning the Russian offensive at the United Nations, has taken a balanced stance, maintaining strong relations with both Russia and Ukraine, and has expressed a willingness to help resolve the crisis. Putin acknowledged the Kingdom’s balanced approach and its ability to engage both sides in dialogue.
He clarified that Russia remained open to peace negotiations. “We would be ready to come back,” he said. “Like no other, Russia is interested to continue it as soon as possible by peaceful means.”
Putin also welcomed initiatives from other countries.
READ ALSO:
- Two killed as rival cult groups clash in Akwa Ibom
- Police confirm death of Lagos DPO in office
- 24-year-old man commits suicide in Ogun
Praising Moscow’s ties Riyadh, Putin said: “We have good relations with both the King and friendly personal relations with the crown prince. I know, and I’m sure, that whatever Saudi Arabia does on this track, it does sincerely. No doubt here.”
He noted that Saudi Arabia had shown itself to be an invaluable intermediary, balancing its friendly relations with both Moscow.
The 16th annual BRICS summit will take place in Kazan, Russia, next week between the namesake five countries — Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa — as well as the first meeting for new members Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran and the UAE.
Saudi Arabia, which was invited last year to join the bloc, will be represented by Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan.
For nearly a year, the Saudi foreign minister has been engaged in intense diplomatic efforts aimed at global recognition of a Palestinian state and finding a way to end the conflict in the Middle East.
Putin told Arab News that the Israel-Palestine crisis would be on the agenda in discussions between the countries.
He reiterated the Kremlin’s support for the implementation of the two-state solution, adding that he was in contact with authorities in Israel and Palestine and had invited Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to take part in next week’s summit.
“Our stance is well known,” Putin said. “The baseline of our position was that we need to put into practice the UN Security Council resolution on building two states — Israel and the State of Palestine. It is the root cause of all problems.”
READ ALSO:
- Family kicks as police deny chasing suspected ‘yahoo boy’ to death
- Russia, Ukraine each swap 95 prisoners of war
- Photos from Nigeria Transport Summit
He also said resolving the Palestinian issue could not be reduced to economic measures alone, underscoring the need to address the deep “historical” and “spiritual” dimensions of the conflict.
“In my opinion, in addition to just material concerns, there are aspects related to the spiritual domain, to history, to the aspirations of peoples living in certain territories,” he said. “I think it is a much deeper idea, and it is more complex too.”
In Putin’s view, the solution lies in ensuring the Palestinians have the right to return. He was clear that Russia’s stance, established during Soviet times, remains unchanged. “The main method to address the Palestinian issue is to create a full-fledged State of Palestine,” he said.
Putin also criticised the disbanding the Middle East Quartet, a group that included the UN, the EU, Russia, and the US which aimed to mediate between Israelis and Palestinians.
“Unfortunately, it was the wrong thing to do to disband the (Quartet). I mean, they (the US) are not to blame for everything, but the (Quartet) was working. They (the US) monopolized all the work. But eventually it failed, unfortunately.”
During the briefing, Putin also said that 30 other countries had expressed interest in cooperation with BRICS nations, and said that its “doors are open, we are not barring anyone.”
He echoed India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and said that BRICS was “not an anti-Western alliance, just a non-Western alliance.”
Russia okays S’Arabia venue for potential Ukraine peace talks
ARAB NEWS
![]()
International
Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again
Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again
Tensions between Iran and the United States escalated on Wednesday after Tehran warned that any new American military strike could trigger a conflict extending beyond the Middle East region.
The latest threat followed comments by US President Donald Trump, who disclosed that he was close to authorising another military operation against Iran before deciding to delay the move to allow diplomatic talks to continue.
Speaking at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had nearly approved a fresh bombing campaign targeting Iran.
“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters, while warning that military action remained possible if ongoing negotiations fail.
The warning comes six weeks after Trump paused the military operation known as “Operation Epic Fury” under a temporary ceasefire arrangement aimed at creating room for diplomacy. However, efforts to secure a long-term peace deal between Washington and Tehran have reportedly stalled.
Earlier reports revealed that Iran submitted a new peace proposal to the United States, demanding control over the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damages, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen Iranian assets, and withdrawal of US troops from parts of the Middle East.
READ ALSO:
- Corp Member Kills Dad Over Pocket Money Dispute in Abuja
- Son, Grandson Kidnap Father Twice for N6.5m Ransom in Kaduna
- Omokri Exposes Truth Behind Peru Drug Allegations Against Peter Obi
The proposal was reportedly rejected by the Trump administration.
Reacting to Trump’s latest remarks, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) renewed threats of retaliation against American interests and countries hosting US military bases across the region.
In a statement carried by Iranian state media on Wednesday, the IRGC warned that any renewed aggression from Washington would spark a broader conflict outside the Middle East.
“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the statement said.
The development has further heightened global fears over a possible expansion of the Iran-US conflict, particularly around the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest oil shipping routes.
Analysts warn that any escalation could disrupt global crude oil supplies, increase tensions across the Gulf region, and trigger fresh instability in international energy markets.
The renewed standoff also comes amid rising concerns over Iran’s nuclear programme, ongoing sanctions, and the growing military presence of the United States and its allies in the Middle East.
Diplomatic observers say the coming days could prove critical as both countries continue negotiations while simultaneously exchanging threats of military action.
Iran Threatens Wider War Beyond Middle East If US Attacks Again
![]()
International
Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured
Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured
Spanish authorities have arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of killing his parents and injuring four other people, including two babies, during a deadly mass shooting in the southern Spanish town of El Ejido near Almería.
According to the Guardia Civil, the shooting occurred shortly after 11:00 p.m. local time on Monday in the El Canalillo area of El Ejido, a municipality located in the Andalusia region of southern Spain.
Police confirmed that two people died in the attack, while four others sustained serious injuries and were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment.
Spanish media reports identified the deceased victims as the suspect’s parents, who were allegedly found inside a vehicle riddled with bullets near the scene of the attack.
Among those injured were two young children, including a seven-month-old baby believed to be the suspect’s son, according to local reports. An 18-month-old child was also seriously injured during the shooting.
READ ALSO:
- BREAKING: Kwara APC Race Heats Up as Governor AbdulRazaq Endorses Seriki
- Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
- MUSWEN Demands Immediate Action Over Oyo School Abductions
Authorities further confirmed that a 60-year-old man was among those wounded in the incident, though officials have not yet publicly disclosed the identities of all victims.
Following the shooting, the suspect reportedly fled the area, triggering a police manhunt involving heavily armed security operatives and emergency response teams. However, Spanish news agency Europa Press later reported that the suspect eventually surrendered himself at a local police station.
The Guardia Civil said investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack, including whether domestic disputes, mental health issues, or other personal factors may have contributed to the shooting.
Spanish investigators are also examining how the suspect obtained the firearm used in the attack, amid reports suggesting he may not have possessed a valid firearms licence.
Emergency medical personnel and specialized police units were deployed immediately after authorities received multiple reports of gunfire late Monday night.
The incident has shocked residents across the Andalusia region and reignited concerns over gun violence, although mass shootings remain relatively rare in Spain due to strict firearm regulations and comparatively low gun-crime rates.
According to Project Insight, a European gun violence monitoring initiative, only four mass shootings were recorded in Spain between 2000 and 2023.
Local authorities in El Ejido expressed condolences to the affected families and pledged full cooperation with investigators as the case continues to unfold.
Meanwhile, officials urged the public to avoid speculation while police complete forensic examinations and gather witness statements connected to the deadly attack.
Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured
![]()
International
Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
A fast-moving Simi Valley wildfire has forced authorities to expand evacuation warnings across communities along the Ventura County and Los Angeles County border as firefighters battle intense flames threatening homes, schools, and critical infrastructure across Southern California.
The blaze, identified as the Sandy fire, erupted on Monday morning in Ventura County and rapidly spread through dry vegetation fueled by strong winds and hot weather conditions. By Monday evening, the fire had scorched approximately 1,364 acres and remained at 0 per cent containment, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire).
Officials confirmed that at least one home and another structure were destroyed as the wildfire intensified, raising fears of further damage if weather conditions worsen.
Evacuation warnings and mandatory evacuation orders were expanded across large parts of southern Simi Valley and surrounding county-line communities, including areas near Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Hidden Hills, Chatsworth, West Hills, Lake Manor, and northern Thousand Oaks.
According to Ventura County officials, more than 28,600 residents were under evacuation orders or warnings as emergency crews worked to prevent the fire from spreading deeper into populated areas.
READ ALSO:
- MUSWEN Demands Immediate Action Over Oyo School Abductions
- Hisbah Arrests Man Found Inside “Ghana Must-Go” Bag in Married Woman’s House
- Understanding Ahmad Gumi Controversy and Nigeria’s Security Power Structure
Authorities urged residents in affected communities to remain prepared to evacuate immediately, especially elderly individuals, families with children, and residents requiring additional time to relocate safely.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass confirmed that although the wildfire was burning in Ventura County, the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) had deployed significant resources to support containment efforts and protect nearby Los Angeles communities.
“While the Sandy Fire is in Ventura County, the Los Angeles Fire Department continues to closely monitor the situation and has deployed resources on the ground — including strike teams, a hand crew, and helicopters — to assist local crews in firefighting efforts,” Bass said in a statement.
She added that the city had strategically positioned firefighting resources throughout the San Fernando Valley to respond rapidly if the fire advanced toward Los Angeles neighborhoods.
Fire officials confirmed that more than 500 firefighters, along with helicopters, bulldozers, hand crews, water tenders, and strike teams, had been mobilized as part of ongoing containment operations.
The wildfire also triggered growing air quality concerns across Ventura County and parts of Los Angeles County as thick smoke drifted into nearby communities.
Jamie Stewart, spokesperson for the fire department, warned that shifting winds were carrying smoke into the Los Angeles region, potentially affecting vulnerable residents.
“Winds are carrying smoke from the Sandy fire into Los Angeles, and air quality may be impacted,” Stewart said. “If you are sensitive to smoke or have respiratory conditions, stay indoors, keep windows closed, and limit outdoor activity.”
In a separate but related development, another wildfire known as the Burro fire broke out Monday near Burro Peak in the Angeles National Forest. The U.S. Forest Service reported that the fire had burned approximately 30 acres by Monday night and was about 20 per cent contained, with officials describing its spread as moderate.
The fires have also disrupted education across the region. Officials with the Simi Valley Unified School District confirmed that at least seven schools were directly impacted after falling within evacuation zones, forcing temporary closures and emergency safety measures.
California authorities have repeatedly warned that dry vegetation, rising temperatures, and gusty winds are increasing wildfire risks across Southern California as the state enters another potentially dangerous fire season.
Emergency management agencies continue to monitor weather conditions closely as firefighters work around the clock to prevent additional destruction and protect threatened communities.
Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
![]()
-
metro3 days agoKidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded As Makinde Confirms Arrest Of Six Suspects
-
Entertainment3 days agoSandra Okunzuwa Reveals Movie Kiss Scene Ended Her Relationship
-
metro3 days agoBREAKING: Several Injured as Car Crashes Into Tricycles in Lagos
-
International2 days agoThree Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
-
Education3 days ago‘HNO Must Go’ — WAEC Workers Declare After 9-Hour Talks End in Deadlock
-
metro1 day agoIgboho Calls for Approval of “Iru Ekun Security Network” After Oyo School Attack
-
Education2 days agoUTME 2026: JAMB Gives Fresh Update on Original Result Slip Delay
-
Entertainment3 days agoChike Reacts To Rumours Linking Him With Frank Edoho’s Estranged Wife
