Sanwo-Olu, Fashola seek support for proposed 4th Mainland Bridge – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Sanwo-Olu, Fashola seek support for proposed 4th Mainland Bridge

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has appealed for cooperation from Lagos residents and all other stakeholders toward the successful execution of the proposed 4th Mainland Bridge in the state.

Represented by his deputy, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, the governor made the appeal on Tuesday during a maiden stakeholders meeting on the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge in Ikeja.
Sanwo-Olu said, “There is a need to review and evaluate the gains we have made so far, assess the bottlenecks we have encountered and recommend necessary steps towards achieving our desired objective, that is the delivery of the 4th Mainland Bridge.

“It is instructive to note that the commencement of the project will be another undeniably flagship project of this administration.

“We must therefore use this stakeholders meeting to consult amongst ourselves as we take steps to remove all the bottlenecks that may impede the delivery of the bridge.

“All the components of Lagos mobility must be considered.”

According to him, the proposed 4th Mainland bridge project has been well integrated into the overall Lagos Master Plan in relation to transportation infrastructure and will boost the economy of the state.

“The project allows for the first time direct access from the large suburb of Ikorodu to the Island and the Lekki Free Trade Zone area,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu said the meeting, which would be replicated in various local government areas where the project would be extended, was expected to boost the acceptability and implementation ratings of the bridge.

The governor recalled that the 4th mainland bridge project was conceived 15 years ago to complement the existing 3rd Mainland Bridge in addressing the transportation needs of the growing population.

Sanwo-Olu explained that government was working with other agencies and the private sector and had also appointed a dedicated advisory team, including KPMG Nigeria, to handle the financial aspects.

He added that Olaniwun Ajayi and AEC-Rendel were to handle the legal and technical areas respectively.
Sanwo-Olu said the team evolved strategies working through various stages of selecting a consortium to deliver the project, which was at the sixth and final stage for construction to begin.

The governor said in order to proceed to the next phase of the process, six consortia were selected, including Mota-Engil/CCCC Consortium and Power China International Group Limited/Power Construction Corporation of China.

Others are China State Construction Engineering Corporation Nigeria Limited, CGGC/CGC Consortium, CCECC/CCRICG Consortium and ICICTAS Insaat San ve Tic ASIConds INds and Trade Corp.
Sanwo-Olu explained that the various stages of negotiation and construction would be handled by different layers of experts, giving opportunity for replacement of under performing preferred bidders in the six categories on the project.

In his remarks, the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, assured Lagos residents of his “unalloyed support toward the construction of the 4th Mainland Bridge”.

He noted that the bridge would create job opportunities, both direct and indirect, for the people of Lagos and its neighbouring states.

He said, “It will empower a lot of its citizens and a lot of businesses will blossom.

“Currently, the 6 October Bridge, Cairo, Egypt, which measures 20.5km, holds the continent’s length-crown.

“When completed, the Fourth Mainland Bridge will be the longest in Africa.”’

Giving a brief of the project, Dr Peter Agunbiade of Advance Engineering Consultants said the project was redesigned to reduce the length of the bridge, travel time and number of houses to be demolished on the alignment of the construction.

According to him, the project is now a 37.4km freeway, subdivided into three sections, namely: Island Section, Lagoon Section and Mainland Section.

He said, “It starts at the Abraham Adesanya Roundabout in Lekki, where a free flow interchange will be constructed, as well as some traffic flow alterations to the existing Lekki-Epe Expressway so as to maintain traffic movements during construction.

“The freeway then proceeds north, toward the lagoon, passing through Ajah and Langbasa areas, crossing the Addo Badore Road, before arriving at the lagoon shoreline.

“The road crosses the lagoon via a 4.5km lagoon bridge and land between Bayeiku and Ijede villages.

“It continues northward, passing through the Ikorodu/Epe and Ikorodu/Sagamu expressways and then continue and turns northwest, within Ikorodu suburbs toward Isawo Road.

“The freeway continues west, where it briefly enters and exits Ogun State toward the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, where it will interfaces with the federal highway.”

News

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

Published

on

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

The leadership of the Organised Labour has responded to the Department of State Services (DSS) over its warning that the union should shelve its proposed protest billed to hold February 27 and 28.

DSS had admonished the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and its counterpart from Trade Union Congress (TUC) to rescind their decision, saying the plea was in the interest of peace across the country.

But reacting to the DSS’ warning, the President of NLC, Joe Ajaero, said DSS should not blackmail the Organised Labour and arrest those that want to use the opportunity of the protest to foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence as claimed.

The labour leader described the forthcoming action as “peaceful protest against unpardonable cost of living”, adding that the Congress would not fold its arm while Nigerians continue to live in penury.

He said: “We are concerned by the unsolicited advice of the Department of State Security to shelve our planned protest against the unprecedented high cost of living in spite of the indescribable suffering in the land, spiralling inflation, deepening poverty and the Naira at an exchange rate of N1,900 to the US Dollar.

READ ALSO:

“According to the Service, the planned protest should be shelved “in the interest of peace and public order”, pre-supposing that the action is intended to be violent and disruptive even when we have a history of peaceful protests.

“More worrying is the new role the Service has assigned to itself, the chief spokes person of the government.

“According to the Service, “It is common knowledge that all levels of Government are striving to ameliorate the prevailing economic condition and as such, should be given a benefit of the doubt, So far, appropriate authorities are working assiduously with a spectrum of stakeholders to fashion out modalities to address the current difficulties”.

“We are equally worried that although the Service is aware that some elements are planning to use the opportunity of the protest to foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence”, and yet have not executed the arrest of these elements.

“We are equally intrigued by the innuendos of the Service, their philosophy of “peace” and wild allegations and we want to reassure them that no one loves this country more than us and on our honour, we would never do anything that will compromise its sovereignty or security.

“Having said this, we would not have ourselves blackmailed or lied against by the Service. Our protest is a peaceful one against the unpardonable cost of living of which the unserviced personnel of the Service are also victims. We cannot fold our hands and pretend all is well. That will be a grievous conspiracy that history will not forgive.”

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

Continue Reading

News

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Published

on

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

The Ogun state government has closed the Nursing Department of Harvarde College of Science Business and Management Studies in Abeokuta as it operated without accreditation from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).  

The enforcement team, comprising officials from the Ogun Ministry of Health’s enforcement team and members of the State Nursing and Midwifery Committee (SNMC), sealed the department on Tuesday. 

The shutdown  

Dr Kayode Oladehinde, the Permanent Secretary of the Ogun Ministry of Health, revealed during the enforcement exercise that the private institution had been offering a degree program in Nursing Sciences for approximately six years without the required accreditation.  

  • Represented by the Acting Director of Nursing Services, Mrs. Serifat Aminu, Oladehinde stressed that such unauthorized programs contribute to quackery in nursing, posing a threat to public health. 

READ ALSO:

 

  • The nursing department will remain sealed until it obtains full accreditation, as emphasized by Oladehinde.  
  • He denounced the value of a Nursing degree obtained from Harvarde College and similar unaccredited institutions, stating that graduates would be unable to obtain a valid license to practice in Nigeria and other parts of the world. 

He expressed concern about the proliferation of institutions offering nursing degrees without accreditation, leading to the production of quacks in the nursing profession, which poses a danger to society.  

Oladehinde urged parents and candidates interested in nursing programs to conduct due diligence by checking the NMCN website for a list of accredited institutions, cautioning against wasting time and resources on unaccredited programs. 

The permanent secretary warned parents to be wary of institutions making false claims and assured that the Ogun government would continue its efforts to combat quackery in both the education and practice of the nursing profession in the state. 

In response to the closure, a 300-level student, who preferred to remain anonymous, expressed shock at the lack of accreditation, regretting the financial investment her parents had made on her behalf in the unaccredited program. 

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Continue Reading

News

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

Published

on

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

The Senate on Wednesday, February 21, confirmed the nomination of 17 persons for appointment as National Commissioners of the National Population Commission (NPC).

The red chamber also approved the appointment of Jalal Arabi as the chairman of the National Hajj Commission (NAHCON) and three other commissioners for the agency including, Aliyu Abdul-Razak (Commissioner – Policy, Personnel and Finance), Prince Anofiu Elegushi (Commissioner-Operations) and Prof. Abubakar A. Yagawal (Commissioner-Planning and Research).

The Commissioners of NAHCON cleared by the Senate are Hon Emmanuel Trump Eke (Abia), Dr Clifford Zirra (Adamawa), Mr. Chidi Christopher Ezeoke (Anambra), Isa Audu Buratai (Borno), Bishop Alex Ukam (Cross River), Ms Blessing Brume-Ataguba (Delta), Dr. Jeremiah Ogbonna Nwankwegu (Ebonyi), Dr. Tony Aiyejina (Edo), Mr Ejike Eze (Enugu), Mr. Abubakar Damburam (Gombe) and Prof. Uba Nnabue (Imo).

READ ALSO:

Others are Ms. Sa’adatu Dogon Bauchi Garba (Kaduna), Dr Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa (Kano), Hon Yori Afolabi (Kogi), Ms. Mary Ishaya Afan (Plateau), Mr Saany Sale (Taraba) and Mr. Ogiri Itotemaan Henry (Rivers).

The report on the screening of the NPC commissioners was presented by the chairman,

Senate Committee on National Identity Card and Population, Senator Abdul Ningi (PDP – Bauchi Central) while the report of the NPC was presented by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Senator Sani Bello.

The Senate also confirmed the nomination of Dr. Kelechi Ohiri for appointment as the director general of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA).

The chairman of Senate Commended on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), Senator Ipalibo Banigo (PDP – Rivers West) presented the report.

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content