Connect with us

News

Soldiers comb Abuja forests, others, flush out terrorists

Published

on

Soldiers of the Guards Brigade in the Nigerian Army have raided forests in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Niger, Kogi and Kaduna and arrested terrorists and kidnappers taking refuge there.

This followed the ambush of soldiers by terrorists in the Bwari Area Council last Sunday.

Daily Sun also reports the destruction of the criminals’ camps and hideouts by soldiers, where they recovered dangerous weapons, ammunition and other logistics.

It quoted a security source as saying the soldiers had taken the fight to the terrorists and would not relent until they are decimated.

The source said the terrorists mostly foreigners used power bikes to operate, adding that a good number of the terrorists had been arrested and made useful statements to intelligence officers.

It was gathered that the suspect arrested revealed on their members who are Okada riders, water vendors, wheelbarrow pushers, petty traders, mobile tailors, shoe Coblers among other informants to obtain information on troops movement, security presence among others before carrying out attacks.

News

Lagos working on salary increase for civil servants, says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday said the state government was working to increase the salaries of public workers in the state civil service.

He made this known while addressing the workers at the state secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja.

“I have looked around and I know that as a country, there is pressure. I know that, as a country, there is a high level of inflation. At our cabinet meeting, I instructed the head of service office and the ministry of staff, training, and pensions to start work on how we are going to increase the entire salary of our public servants,” the governor said.

Continue Reading

News

Trump sues CNN for defamation, demands $475m damages

Published

on

Former US president Donald Trump has sued the CNN for defamation, seeking $475 million in punitive damages for labelling him as ‘racist,’ ‘Russian lackey,’ ‘insurrectionist,’ and ‘Hitler’.

Trump claims the news network had carried out a “campaign of libel and slander” against him.

In the lawsuit filed in US District Court in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Trump says that the network had used its influence as a leading news organisation to defeat him politically.

Trump, a Republican, claims in the 29-page lawsuit that CNN had a long track record of criticising him but had ramped up its attacks in recent months because the network feared that he would run again for president in 2024.

“As a part of its concerted effort to tilt the political balance to the left, CNN has tried to taint the Plaintiff with a series of ever-more scandalous, false, and defamatory labels, the lawsuit claims.

The lawsuit lists several instances in which CNN appeared to compare Trump to Hitler, including a January 2022 special report by host Fareed Zakaria that included footage of the German dictator.

Trump, who in 2020 lost a re-election bid to Democrat Joe Biden, has not said whether he would seek re-election.

Continue Reading

News

2022 National Honours list in circulation doctored, says FG

Published

on

The Federal Government has disowned the list of nominees for the 2022 National Honours that has been trending on some social and traditional media platforms.

Spokesperson for the Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, Julie Osagie-Jacobs, on Monday, said the list had been doctored by mischievous persons to cause national disharmony.

She said that the authentic list had been compiled by the ministry for the National Honours but yet to be made public.

Controversy and wide condemnation by opinion leaders and public analysts had greeted the inclusion of certain names and omission of some found to have excelled in their callings over the years.

Osagie-Jacobs said, “The attention of the Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs has been drawn to a purported list of nominees for National Honours being circulated by some online media organisations.

“While it is true that President Muhammadu Buhari will be conferring National Honours on deserving Nigerians and friends of Nigeria on October 11, 2022, the authentic list of nominees is yet to be released to the public. The Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs will publish the list at the appropriate time and medium.

“Members of the public are hereby enjoined to discountenance the list in circulation as it is an attempt by overzealous reporters whose aim is to break news even when such news is fake.”

Continue Reading

Trending