It’s the summer all over again for Cristiano Ronaldo, who could be replaced at Manchester United by a forward who’s already flopped in the No.7 shirt…
SAUDIS ONLY TAKERS SO FAR FOR RONALDO
Cristiano Ronaldo starts his World Cup campaign with Portugal later today as a free agent. The 37-year-old needs to put himself in the shop window, it would seem…
After it was announced by Manchester United on Tuesday evening that the megastar had been cut loose, Ronaldo might have expected a clamour at his door. Instead, clubs are only queueing up to register their non-interest.
Newcastle, tempted as though their Saudi owners perhaps were, won’t be making Ronaldo an offer, with Football Insider saying he does not fit the Magpies’ transfer policy. It’s hard to think of a club where he would.
Nor are Chelsea keen. Todd Boehly wanted to bring the former Real Madrid star to Stamford Bridge last summer but Thomas Tuchel said no. Even with the German gone, though, The Sun says the Boehly won’t be tempted again.
- LASTMA recovers pump-action rifle inside impounded vehicle
- Nicki Aycox, ‘Supernatural’ Actress, Dies at 47
- Innoson makes history, exports Nigeria-assembled vehicles to Sierra Leone
Once again, it seems the only firm interest is from Saudi Arabia. In the summer, Ronaldo turned down silly money to move to Saudi’s Pro League, with the forward keen to play again in the Champions League. The Telegraph says the Saudis will try again now Ronaldo has no ties.
UNITED MOVING FOR MEMPHIS
United are considering how they go about replacing Ronaldo, with Erik ten Hag shorn of a problem but short of strikers.
The Daily Mail says the Red Devils are contemplating whether to take the Odion Ighalo approach once more by signing a forward on loan for the rest of the season.
Sport suggests United have already set in motion a move for Memphis Depay. The Holland striker could be available on a free in January, with Barcelona willing to tear up the remainder of his contract if it saves them half a season’s worth of wages. Of course, Depay has already had one stint at Old Trafford and, let’s be honest, he was bloody awful.
PREM TRIO EYE FRANCE STAR
Ten Hag was keen to sign Adrien Rabiot last summer but no deal could be agreed with the Juventus midfielder. As Rabiot approaches free agency, three other Premier League big hitters are planning on trying their luck with the France international.
According to Calciomercato, Arsenal and Chelsea are both willing to give Ma Rabiot the deal she’s seeking for her son. Since United walked away from negotiations, the former PSG star has been in outstanding form for Juve, strengthening his representative’s bargaining position.
Tottenham too are also looking to elbow their way towards the front of the line. Juve are keen to agree a renewal with Rabiot, but the Old Lady fears being blown out of the water by Premier League offers.
FG redeems 28-year pledge to Westerhof
The Federal Government has redeemed its pledge to one of the 1994 Super Eagles Team members 28 years after by handing over the keys of a 3-bedroom bungalow to Mr Clemence Westerhof, former Coach of the team.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola handed over the keys to Westerhof at the prototype housing estate along Gwagwalada-Kuje road, on Wednesday in Abuja.
He was represented by Mr Solomon Labafilo, Director, Department of Public Buildings and Housing.
Fashola said that the government came up with the scheme called prototype housing scheme in Lagos, Abuja, Port-harcourt and other parts of the country.
“The programme was started in 2014 and we have phases I and II while the total houses completed and occupied are 206.
“The phase II is where the allocations for the two coaches were made, Jo Bonfrere has house 1A and Clemens Westehof has unit 1B,” Fashola said.
Fashola said government was committed to rewardiing citizens who made sacrifices to project the good image of the country.
- Osogbo shut down for Atiku/Okowa as LP guber candidate joins PDP
- 2023 Election: PDP admits Obi’s votes will affect its chances
- ICPC Arraigns Rector, others over N6m fraud
- Fuel queues to end soon, says NMDPRA
“It will interest you to know that government’s pledge to the 1994 Super Eagles was not fulfilled until when President Muhammadu Buhari approved that all the members be handed over their houses.
“Westehof was allocated his in the prototype housing scheme here in Gwagwalada and other beneficiaries were allocated their homes in the respective states of their choice in the National Housing Programme estates across the country.
“We handed over keys and Certificate of Occupancy today to former coach of the Nigeria Super Eagles who led the 1994 Team, Clemens Westehof.
“This is to show government’s resolve to ensure that Nigerians, irrespective of time, who made sacrifices to project the good image of the country are recognised and encouraged to keep working for the corporate benefit of all.
“We have entered a season of completion and handover of keys to beneficiaries in 35 states and the FCT to Nigerians who have successfully subscribed for houses built under the National Housing Programme (NHP) through the ministry’s website: Https:nhp.worksand housing.gov.ng.
Fashola said the web-portal was launched on Nov. 12, 2021, adding that over 13,000 applications had been received from Nigerians who have created personal account profiles on the website.
The minister, therefore, called on all Nigerians to avail themselves with the opportunity of owning a house in the 35 states and FCT that have been completed except for Lagos State.
Also speaking, the Permanent Secretary, Mr Bashir Alkali, represented by Mrs Lucy Uzodimma, said the ministry was able to fulfill the pledge by the government with the completion of the National Housing Programme estates in 35 states and the FCT.
Alkali said: “Nigerians should be aware that other members who had collected their houses did so in the National Housing Programme sites across the country.
“The philosophy behind the NHP is the provision of pilot scheme that is affordable, accessible and acceptable as contained in the National Housing Policy.
“The approach to the design and use of materials take cognisance of the cultural and climatic peculiarities of the region’s while responding also to the tenets of Building Energy and Efficiency Code (BEEC).”
Westehof, represented by Mrs Charity Biwet commended the Federal Government for fulfilling its promise after so many years, adding, ”it was something noteworthy.
“I stand in here with great joy to receive these keys to this beautiful edifice, I love the building and am sure the owner will love it.
“It is a promise kept and it is really encouraging to see that efforts are being recognised and rewarded. We appreciate this and I will convey the goodwill of the president and the minister to Mr Westehof.”
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the other beneficiaries who had since collected their keys and title documents to their homes were: Alloy Agu, Uche Okafor, Emmanuel Amunike and Thompson Oliha.
Others were: Peter Rufai, Efan Ekoku, Isaac Semitojo and Austin Eguavoen, among others.
Ronaldo denies Saudi Arabia transfer deal, rejects new offer from Australia
Cristiano Ronaldo has denied reports linking him with a potential move to Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Nassr on a lucrative offer worth £173million-a-year.
The Portuguese star, who came off the bench in Portugal’s 6-1 thumping of Switzerland, said after the match that the report is untrue.
Ronaldo is a free agent after reaching a mutual agreement with Manchester United to terminate his contract following his explosive interview with journalist, Piers Morgan.
This has intensified interest from clubs with reports rife in the media recently of a deal reached with Al-Nassr that would see the 37-year-old forward ply his trade in the Middle East.
- NAF bombs bandit hideouts, kills scores in Kaduna
- JUST IN: Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, wife finally part ways
- Hijab circular: MURIC expresses appreciation to Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu
“No, that is not true – not true,” Ronaldo said.
The five-time Ballon d’Or has also rejected a move to join a club in Australia (A-League).
A-League chief Danny Townsend disclosed the plans to lure Ronaldo to Australia shortly after the 37-year-old’s Manchester United exit but has now confirmed that the Portugal captain has knocked back their offer.
“We had interesting discussions, and there was genuine interest, but it’s clear he has other priorities at this stage,” Townsend told the Sydney Morning Herald.
Ramos bags hat-trick as Portugal reach W’Cup quarter-finals
Goncalo Ramos justified the shock decision to drop Cristiano Ronaldo by scoring a hat-trick on his full debut as Portugal demolished Switzerland 6-1 on Tuesday to power into the World Cup quarter-finals.
The 21-year-old Ramos, who started instead of Ronaldo, became the youngest player to strike three times in a World Cup knockout match since Pele in 1958.
Pepe, Raphael Guerreiro and Rafael Leao were also on target for a rampant Portugal, who booked a showdown with Morocco on Saturday for a place in the last four in Qatar.
Ronaldo, 37 and now without a club after his departure from Manchester United, has hogged the headlines during the tournament while looking a shadow of his former self.
The only man to score at five World Cups, Ronaldo was left out by coach Fernando Santos against the Swiss following his angry response to being substituted in the last group game.
- I’m the most investigated and most accused former governor – Tinubu
- Bandits strike in Abuja, kidnap corps member, 7 others in Kubwa
- Spain’s World Cup exit to Morocco ‘cruel’ – Busquets
It was a bold call to omit a player with a record 118 international goals in favour of giving a full debut to Ramos, the Benfica striker who had played just 33 minutes across three previous appearances.
But it took just 17 minutes for Ramos to reward Santos’ faith, and to achieve something Ronaldo has never done — score in a World Cup knockout game.
Joao Felix clipped delicately into the feet of Ramos, who quickly swivelled past Fabian Schaer and rifled into the roof of the net past a stunned Yann Sommer.
Otavio, who returned to the Portugal midfield after injury in their opening match, shot straight at Sommer before Ramos did likewise moments later.
Xherdan Shaqiri drew a fingertip stop from Diogo Costa with a dipping free-kick from distance, but Portugal soon had their second.
Bruno Fernandes whipped in a corner and the 39-year-old Pepe towered above the Swiss defence to powerfully head home.
Diogo Dalot hacked Remo Freuler’s header off the line after Diogo Costa failed to properly deal with a cross, but the Swiss simply had no answers against an irresistible Portugal.
Ramos turned in his second from close range six minutes into the second half from Dalot’s cross down the right.
He then turned provider by playing in Guerreiro to lash in another just four minutes later as the Swiss defence was ruthlessly ripped apart.
It was also Ramos who inadvertently glanced a corner towards Manuel Akanji at the far post as the Manchester City centre-back pulled one back for Switzerland.
Ramos completed his treble after more outstanding work from Felix, nonchalantly dinking over Sommer with one of his final touches before making way for Ronaldo.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s introduction elicited the biggest roar of the night. Ronaldo did have the ball in the back of the net but it was ruled out for a clear offside.
Leao capped off a sensational Portugal performance with a terrific curling strike in stoppage time.
Over 100 injured in Spanish train collision
FG recovers N120bn from crime proceeds —Lai Mohammed
FG redeems 28-year pledge to Westerhof
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
metro5 days ago
Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, abduct Imam, 11 worshippers injured
Politics5 days ago
Why Oyetola, others took away official vehicles – Osun APC
Politics2 days ago
Tinubu: Private sector should drive economy; speaks on power, insecurity, electoral violence, his identity
Entertainment5 days ago
I may accept if Ooni proposes marriage — Peju Johnson
Business5 days ago
Old N200, N500, N1,000 notes will be in use till Jan 31- CBN
metro5 days ago
300-level university student commits suicide over alleged inability to cope with studies
Politics2 days ago
Manifesto: Keyamo accuses Peter Obi of plagiarism, identity theft
Politics4 days ago
Actor Olaiya Igwe prays for Tinubu stark naked + Video, photo