Connect with us

News

Troops eliminate 391 bandits, arrest scores in N/W, NC

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters says troops eliminated no fewer than 391 bandits and arrested about 60 including bandits’ informants and collaborators in various operations across North West and North Central in one month.

 

The Acting Director, Defence Media Operation, Brig.-Gen. Bernard Onyeuko, disclosed this while giving update on the military operations across the country between Sept. 2 and Sept. 30 on Thursday, in Abuja.

 

Under operation Hadarin Daji, Onyeuko said the troops intensified their offensive operations on bandits’ enclaves in the North West Zone leading to the killing of 240 bandits within the period

 

He said that the Air component conducted air bombardments on criminal enclaves in different locations in Zamfara leading to the killing of no fewer than 53 bandits, while several others escaped with varying degree of gunshot wounds.

 

He also disclosed that troops recovered 125 assorted arms including AK-47 and FN riffles, dane guns and 1,166 rounds of 7.62mm special/NATO ammunition.

 

According to him, a total of 1,304 livestock and 54 motorcycles among other items were also recovered during the period.

 

Onyeuko further disclosed that a total of 47 bandits, informants and bandits’ collaborators were arrested within the period.

 

He said the operations had drastically degraded their operational capabilities and denied them freedom of action, frustrated movement of arms, ammunition and other illegal items and at the same time built confidence among locals.

 

Under Operation Safe Haven, Onyeuko said that troops arrested 15 suspects including two drug peddlers, two armed herdsmen and 11 bandits were involved in an attack on Angwan Thabo village in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

 

He said troops also rescued some civilians who were kidnapped at Jakko Gashish District in Barkin Ladi Local Government t of Plateau and arrested two kidnappers on Sept. 9.

 

“A gun runner and impostor named, Saliu Ibriahim, was arrested at Mailafiya village in Jama’a Local Government Area with a total of 14 locally fabricated rifles, 27 rounds of 9mm ammunition, 14 cartridges and 44 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition among other items,” he said

 

“Under Operation Whirl Stroke, Defence Spokesperson said troops and other security operatives arrested a notorious militia leader named Keffas Aondofa aka Azonto at Jalingo Metropolis in Taraba.

 

He said that Azonto, who took over leadership of the late Gana’s militia gang, had been on wanted list for terrorising and imposing levies on locals in the state.

 

According to him, a total of 15 bandits were neutralised, while 23 AK-47 rifles with magazines as well as 66 rounds of 7.62mm special and 39mm ammunition were recovered during the period.

 

“Under Operation Thunder Strike/whirl Punch, troops maintained their highway and fighting patrols to dominate and provide security in major and minor roads as well as deny armed elements freedom of action.

 

“ Sept. 5, offensive air strikes were executed, using a force pack of Nigerian Air Force platforms, on a bandits’ camp at Kuza Hills, which led to the destruction of some of the criminals’ hideouts and logistics facilities.

 

“No fewer than 43 bandits were neutralised in the process.

 

“In same vein, over 40 bandits were neutralised at Fadaman Kanauta in Kidandan forest under Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

 

“This feat was achieved when the Air Component carried a 3-day intensive air offensives on bandits’ enclaves at the location between Sept.13 and Sept. 15,” he said.

News

FG Threatens to Sanction Chinese Firm over Slow Pace of Rail Project

Published

on

The federal government has threatened to sanction the China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC) over the firm’s alleged failure to provide 85 per cent counterpart funding for the rail project in some parts of the country.

The Minister of Transportation, Muazu Sambo, decried the slow pace of work in the Kanu-Kaduna and Maiduguri-Port Harcourt rail lines.
Sambo gave the warning yesterday while briefing journalists in Lagos at the end of a tour of the Lekki Deep Seaport to ascertain the level of work done so far.

Sambo, who frowned at the attitude of the Chinese firm, said two years after the agreement was signed, CCECC had not provided any of its 85 per cent counterpart funds.

According to him, the agreement stipulates that CCECC is to provide 85 per cent of the project cost while the federal government provides the remaining 15 per cent.

READ ALSO:

He said: “I have given them till October 2022 to fulfill their own part of the agreement or stiff sanction would be meted out to them.
“How could it be said that two years after the agreement was signed, CCECC is yet to provide a dollar?”

A former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, had in March accused the firm of playing politics with the Kanu-Kaduna rail project, urging the contractor to provide funding for the project.

Amaechi had said, “The pace is extremely slow, the equipment are supposed to be 2,000 plus, but what they (CCECC) have brought so far is 541, they claim that 300 and something equipment are in Kaduna. I will send people to check. Even if you add that all together, you will have 800 equipment in place of 2,000 equipment they are supposed to bring. That means something is wrong somewhere.

“I know they (CCECC) claim that there is no money, that we have not funded them. But what of their responsibility in the contract, which is to look for the money?

“CCECC has not brought money; the Chinese are no longer giving us money for more than three to four years now. So CCECC can’t afford to delay their responsibility to look for money for the project. That is what the Chinese must do.”

Thisday
Continue Reading

News

Oshiomhole praises Jonathan, says he left enviable legacies

Published

on

Former Chairman of the All Progressives Congress,Adams Oshiomhole, has said ex-President Goodluck Jonathan left enviable legacies behind.

The former Edo State governor said no leader is appreciated until they leave office, explained that his disagreement with former President Jonathan was due to their differences in political interests.

He stated this at the one-year memorial lecture in honour of late Captain Hosa Okunbo, in Abuja on Saturday.

Oshiomhole said, “You (Jonathan) left legacies even though I had cause to fight because it is politics. The legacy you have left, there is no successor who can afford to do less.

“But the logic of multi-party democracy is that even an angel can be defeated. You have set a standard that none of your successors can afford to go below.

“Part of your (Jonathan) legacies was when you launched the almajiri school and your thought was that no Nigerian child should be left on the street and also appropriated special funds.

“These ideas are not new but what we lack is the will to transform it to practice. We never know who are our friends until when we are no more. No one is appreciated until he or she leaves office.”

Other speakers at the event were Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, Olu of Warri, Ogiame Atuwase III decried the glorification of stomach infrastructure in Nigeria’s political culture, among others.

They described the late Captain Hosa Okunbo as a man with a large heart and spirit of philanthropy.

They noted one of his legacies that would continue to endure was that he nurtured and mentored many to become responsible members of the society.

Continue Reading

News

Shaving Inibehe Effiong’s hair, beard a security measure, says NCoS

Published

on

The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), Akwa Ibom command, says the shaving of the hair and beard of Inibehe Effiong, a legal practitioner, is a security measure.

Effiong was sent to prison July 27 by the Chief Judge of Akwa Ibom, Ekaette Obot, after the lawyer reportedly protested against the presence of armed policemen in court.

The human rights lawyer was in court to defend Leo Ekpenyong, a lawyer, in a libel suit filed by Udom Emmanuel, governor of Akwa Ibom.
Many Nigerians, including civil society organisations (CSOs), have called for the release of the human rights lawyer.
On Thursday, reports surfaced on social media that Effiong had been transferred to the Uyo correctional centre, and that the lawyer’s hair and beard had been forcefully shaved.
Speaking on the reports, Femi Falana, human rights advocate, said such action was a violation of Effiong’s fundamental human rights.
In a statement on Friday, Richard Metong, NCoS Akwa Ibom spokesperson, said the shaving was not done with blunt instrument as speculated on social media, adding that the action was “a security measure as well as a routine practice in the facility”.
“On arrival at Uyo, he was duly admitted into the facility and was also informed of the need to cut his hair and beards as a security measure as well as a routine practice in the facility, which he obliged and willingly allowed the barber using a clipper and not a blunt instrument as speculated on social media,” the statement reads.
Meeting told TheCable on Saturday that the decision to shave Effiong’s hair and beard was carried out to ensure his safety among other inmates.
“On the security aspect, you know that the cells where they stay is not only for one person. There are a lot of other persons, and if you know barrister Effiong very well, he has a very long beard,” he said.
“In case of an argument or altercation with somebody in the cell, it can lead to him being harmed in a way if there is anything ensuing between himself and other inmates.
“You know he is a very popular human rights lawyer and I’m also very sure that there are other persons he prosecuted their cases who are also in the same facility.
“So, we are also considering his own safety by asking him to please shave to be clean. It is for his own best interest. It poses security threat to him as he goes into the facility. We don’t want him to be harmed.”
Speaking further, Metong said the decision was in line with the personal hygiene clause stipulated in the United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners, also known as the Nelson Mandela rules.
Rule 18 (personal hygiene) of the Nelson Mandela rules states: “Prisoners shall be required to keep their persons clean, and to this end they shall be provided with water and with such toilet articles as are necessary for health and cleanliness.
“In order that prisoners may maintain a good appearance compatible with their self-respect, facilities shall be provided for the proper care of the hair and beard, and men shall be able to shave regularly.”

Continue Reading

Trending