TVC says no plans to sack 550 workers - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

TVC says no plans to sack 550 workers

Published

on

TVC Communications has said it has no plans to sack any of its 550 workers as a result of the recent destruction caused to the TV station’s buildings and equipment by hoodlums that set the Lagos headquarters on fire.

The broadcast platform was touched by some miscreants last week and the company’s main studio and some vehicles on the compound were burnt.

The situation resulted in the television station going off-air for some days and it was reported that some of the employees would be laid off because of the incident.

It resumed broadcasting last weekend at another location, while efforts are being made to rebuild the studio.

Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, paid a visit to the Ikosi-Ketu head office of TVC Communications to see the extent of the damage done to the company.

It was reported that the TVC could sack some members of staff just three years after it fired about 145 persons from the organisation.

But the Chief Executive Officer of TVC Communications, Mr Andrew Hanlon, said in a statement that reports of the company firing some staff were not true.

According to him, all the 550 persons on the organisation’s payroll still have their jobs intact, noting that there are no plans to send anyone away because of the unfortunate incident.

“The CEO of TVC Communications, owners of TVC, TVC News, Max FM (Lagos and Abuja) and Adaba FM, Andrew Hanlon, has stated today (Friday) that the jobs of all its 550 employees are safe and secure.

“Mr Andrew Hanlon made the announcement on the foot of ‘misleading reports’ which suggested that 250 jobs were lost following an arson attack on its studious in Ikosi-Ketu, Lagos last week,” a part of the statement noted.

“The reference to 250 jobs related to those of our employees who had been physically displaced due to the fire at our premises. This does not mean those same employees had subsequently lost their jobs due to the fire.

“All of our staff remain with us and have merely now been relocated to temporary offices while we build a bigger and better television studio complex,” Hanlon was quoted as saying in the statement.

TVC is one of the national television stations in Nigeria. It is believed that the broadcast platform was attacked by thugs because of its link with the national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Mr Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

News

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

Published

on

Senate plenary

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

The Nigerian Senate has defended its decision to make electronic transmission of election results discretionary rather than mandatory in the ongoing amendment to the Electoral Bill 2026, insisting the move is grounded in data, infrastructure realities and legislative responsibility — not political sentiment.

The controversy centres on Clause 60(3) of the proposed amendment, which originally stated that a presiding officer “shall electronically transmit the results from each polling unit to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IReV) in real time.”

After debate, lawmakers retained electronic transmission but removed the mandatory “real time” requirement, introducing a caveat that where internet connectivity fails, Form EC8A — the official manual result sheet — will serve as the primary basis for collation.


Senate: Decision Based on Empirical Data

Leader of the Senate, Opeyemi Bamidele, clarified the chamber’s position in a statement issued through his Directorate of Media and Public Affairs, stressing that lawmaking “comes with huge obligations globally” and cannot be driven by emotion.

According to Bamidele, the Senate consulted stakeholders in the telecommunications and energy sectors before revising the clause. He said the decision reflects the “stark realities” of Nigeria’s communications and power infrastructure.

READ ALSO:

Key Data Cited by the Senate

  • Nigeria recorded about 70% broadband coverage in 2025, but actual internet penetration stood at roughly 44.53% of the population, according to figures from the Nigerian Communications Commission.
  • The Speedtest Global Index ranked Nigeria 85th out of 105 countries in mobile network reliability and 129th out of 150 countries in fixed broadband reliability.
  • In the power sector, approximately 85 million Nigerians lack access to grid electricity, representing about 43% of the population.
  • Although generation capacity fluctuates between 12,000 and 13,500 megawatts, only around 4,500 megawatts are typically delivered nationwide.

Bamidele argued that making real-time electronic transmission mandatory under such conditions could create operational bottlenecks, trigger disputes and potentially destabilise the electoral process, particularly in rural communities with weak connectivity.

“By global standards, real-time electronic transmission of election results may not be practicable at this stage of our development,” he said.


What the Amendment Means

The revised clause does not abolish electronic transmission of results. Instead, it provides flexibility in implementation.

The Senate maintains that Section 62(2) of the Electoral Act 2022 already establishes a National Electronic Register of Election Results, and the amendment aims to reinforce the framework without creating a rigid mandate that may prove impractical nationwide.

Under the current system operated by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC):

  • Results are entered into Form EC8A at the polling unit.
  • The presiding officer uses the BVAS device to upload a scanned copy to the IReV portal.
  • The portal allows public viewing of polling unit results for transparency.

READ ALSO:

The Senate’s revision would allow uploads to remain in place, but without invalidating results in areas where connectivity prevents immediate transmission.


Opposition and Public Backlash

The decision has sparked significant debate across Nigeria’s political landscape.

Former presidential candidate Peter Obi and former Rivers State governor Rotimi Amaechi have criticised the move, arguing that weakening mandatory real-time uploads could undermine electoral transparency and public trust ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Civil society groups and election observers warn that introducing a “network failure” clause may create loopholes that could be exploited during collation, particularly at ward and local government levels.

However, supporters of the Senate’s position argue that insisting on a strict real-time requirement without adequate infrastructure could lead to widespread technical failures, contested results and post-election instability.


House–Senate Differences and Next Steps

The House of Representatives is understood to favour retaining the mandatory real-time transmission language, setting the stage for a conference committee to harmonise both versions of the bill.

The final wording of Clause 60(3) will likely shape Nigeria’s electoral governance framework heading into 2027 and determine whether real-time electronic transmission becomes a statutory obligation or remains subject to operational discretion.

As debates intensify, the issue has become a defining test of Nigeria’s commitment to electoral reform — balancing technological ambition with infrastructural reality.

Senate Explains Why Real-Time E-Transmission Cannot Be Mandatory in 2027 Elections

Continue Reading

News

Osogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones

Published

on

Osogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones

The 5th anniversary celebration of Osogbo Sons and Daughters drew prominent indigenes, political office holders, traditional leaders and stakeholders to a colourful gathering focused on the development of Osogbo, the Osun State capital.

Members of the Osogbo United Youth Forum were also in attendance at the event, which featured the presentation of meritorious awards to distinguished sons and daughters of the town in recognition of their contributions to community growth.

Among the award recipients were the member representing Osogbo Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Alhaji Moruf Adewale Gangari; the Secretary to the Osun State Government, Alhaji Teslim Igbalaye; and the member representing Osogbo in the Osun State House of Assembly. Others honoured included the Chief Executive Officer of Mars Filling Station, Alhaji Eniafelamon, the Head Baale of Osogbo, as well as several other eminent indigenes.

The awards, according to the organisers, were aimed at appreciating individuals who have demonstrated dedication and service toward the advancement of Osogbo.

The Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, who was represented at the event by the Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, used the occasion to stress the importance of collective support for the administration ahead of the August 8 governorship election.

READ ALSO:

In his address, the commissioner noted that Osogbo and Ile-Ife are strategically positioned in ongoing political discussions concerning succession politics toward 2030. He stated that the town which records the highest number of votes in the forthcoming election could stand a stronger chance of producing the governor’s successor in 2030.

He also highlighted developmental projects executed by the present administration in Osogbo and urged residents to remain united in order to attract more dividends of democracy to the town.

Speaking earlier, the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Teslim Igbalaye, outlined several initiatives he said he had facilitated for Osogbo through his office. According to him, over 100 indigenes of Osogbo have secured employment opportunities since the inception of the current administration.

He added that arrangements were at an advanced stage for more Osogbo indigenes to occupy principal officer positions across tertiary institutions in the state. Igbalaye promised to provide the leadership of Osogbo Sons and Daughters with the names and phone numbers of beneficiaries to ensure transparency and verification.

He also pledged to donate a bus to the association, following a request by its President, Saheed Akinyemi.

The programme further provided an avenue for elected representatives from Osogbo to present their scorecards before the audience, promoting accountability and engagement with constituents.

In his closing remarks, the President of Osogbo Sons and Daughters commended dignitaries and participants for their presence and reiterated the organisation’s commitment to the continued progress and unity of Osogbo.

Osogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones

Continue Reading

News

Afenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland

Published

on

South West Governors forum

Afenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland

The pan‑Yoruba socio-political group Afenifere has warned that escalating terrorist attacks in states bordering the South-West are heightening fears of a full-scale incursion into Yorubaland, calling on governors to urgently implement robust security measures and push for the take-off of state police.

In a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Jare Ajayi, Afenifere expressed deep concern over repeated attacks in Kwara, Kogi, and Niger states, as well as kidnappings in Ondo, Ekiti, and Oyo states. The group cited the recent Woro and Nuku attacks in Kwara State, where nearly 200 people were reportedly killed and several others abducted, as a warning of the growing threat.

“This is a very disturbing development as cases of abduction seem to be on the increase in Yorubaland. Terror acts are no longer confined to rural areas; even cities like Ibadan have witnessed incidents,” the statement read. Afenifere highlighted the broad-daylight abduction of a schoolgirl in Ibadan’s Challenge area as a chilling example of the insecurity affecting urban centres.

Ajayi urged governors of the six South-West statesOyo, Ogun, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo, and Lagos — as well as neighbouring states including Kwara, Kogi, Edo, and Delta, to implement practical security arrangements that will allow residents to “sleep with their two eyes closed.”

READ ALSO:

The group recalled that during a November 24, 2025, meeting in Ibadan, the South-West governors had agreed to strengthen regional security through measures such as the South-West Security Fund and the creation of monitoring centres to track potential terrorist activity. Afenifere noted that recent steps, such as Ogun State’s inauguration of CCTV monitoring centres, are commendable but insufficient.

Ajayi stressed that the persistence of banditry and terrorism is not due to a lack of intelligence, but rather the failure to effectively utilize available information. He insisted that state police should take off immediately, while communities must be empowered to develop local security arrangements, including support for the Amotekun Corps and other regional security initiatives.

“It is high time governors in Yorubaland went beyond sermonisation and swung into decisive actions that will make the region truly secure,” Ajayi said.

Afenifere’s warning comes amid growing concerns over security across southern Nigeria, where the spread of banditry, kidnappings, and terrorist attacks is increasingly threatening both rural and urban communities. The group’s call reinforces longstanding advocacy for state-level policing as a critical measure to combat rising insecurity.

Afenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending