Two Zamfara Banditry Kingpins, Many Others Killed In Rival Clash - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Two Zamfara Banditry Kingpins, Many Others Killed In Rival Clash

Published

on

Two notorious bandits in Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Dullu and Dan Maigari, have been killed alongside at least 15 others during an attack on their base by another notorious bandit, Bello Turji.

The Tuesday morning clash was the bloodiest encounter between the two sides who have been locked in a long rivalry.

The recent clash followed the killing of a member of the gang of a bandit kingpin on Turji’s side, Na-Sanda.

Daily Trust gathered that Turji mobilised fighters loyal to him who launched an unexpected attack at the Maniya hideouts of the rival gang where they killed some of the gang’s members including Dullu himself and Dan Maigari, who is a younger brother of Bashari Maniya – a noted bandit turned intermediary.

A source from a nearby Dangondi village said many gunmen from Maniya were seen crossing the Moriki-Shinkafi Road into Sububu Forest, escaping from the onslaught.
“Turji also abducted some men from the area but we heard he later killed. Dullu’s corpse and some others have been abandoned at his own base.

“Turji himself is believed to have lost some men but we are not sure how many. But I have seen some of them returning with bullet wounds,” he said.

READ ALSO:

The spokesman of the Zamfara Police Command, SP Shehu Mohammed, did not answer phone calls and a text message seeking his comment on the story.

Meanwhile, bandits on Monday reportedly killed no fewer than 30 members of the local vigilante otherwise known as Yan Sakai in a gunfight near Gidan Dan Inna community in Auki district, Bungudu LGA of Zamfara State.

Residents said the armed men had earlier invaded Gidan Inna village and some other neighbouring communities, rustled some cattle and killed some residents.

“Shortly afterward, the leaders of the local vigilantes otherwise known as Yan Sakai from at least 10 neighbouring communities started mobilising their members to chase and recover the rustled cattle from the criminals.

“Within half an hour, the vigilantes mobilised themselves and gave the rustlers a hot chase on motorbikes. However, when the armed bandits realised that they were being pursued, they divided themselves into two; one group herded the stolen animals into the bush.

“The other group then laid ambush for approaching vigilantes. They killed more than 30 on the spot largely because the criminals were more in number,” said a resident, Umar Kadowa.

A witness said he saw the vigilantes on dozens of motorcycles ride towards Gidan Dan Inna village while on his way to his farm.

He said, “I sensed trouble and had to come back home immediately. The remains of the slain vigilantes who were from more than 10 communities were later retrieved for burial at their respective villages.

The spokesman of the state police command, SP Muhammad Shehu, could not be reached for comments.

He had yet to respond to calls and a text message sent to him by our correspondent at the time of this report.

metro

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Published

on

Nigerian military troop
Nigerian military troop

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.

Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.

READ ALSO:

Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.

The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.

In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.

Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.

Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Published

on

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

 

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.

The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.

In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.

“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.

Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.

The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.

During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.

According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.

Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.

She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.

As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.

Continue Reading

metro

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

Published

on

Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

The Osun State Government has awarded the 55.6-kilometre Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road project to three contractors as part of a strategic effort to accelerate construction, improve inter-state connectivity, and stimulate economic activity along the busy southwestern corridor linking Osun and Oyo states.

According to the Osun State Ministry of Works and Transport, the road has been divided into three segments and awarded to Pecular Ultimate Concerns, Kimzee Global Resources, and A’skorg Integrated Service Limited, with all contractors expected to be mobilised this month. The segmented approach aims to ensure timely delivery, improve supervision, and reduce construction bottlenecks.

READ ALSO:

The announcement comes amid ongoing infrastructure interventions in Iwo town, including the construction of a 3.6-kilometre dual carriageway — the first of its kind in the local government. Engr. Moruf Ojebode, Director of Highways, confirmed that phase one of the dual carriageway, spanning from Odo-Ori Market to Oja-Oba near the post office, is already 50% complete, with drainage, medians, and pedestrian walkways under development. Internal roads connecting key districts, including Ansarudeen to Puti Road, Fesu Agbowo Road, and Army Junction to Jagun Ode Road, have also been completed.

Residents and community leaders have commended Governor Ademola Adeleke’s administration for prioritising infrastructure development, noting the projects’ impact on mobility, safety, and local commerce. Prof. Lai Olurode, Chairman of the Iwo Board of Trustees, described the upgrades as a “visible Adeleke revolution,” emphasizing that connecting township roads to the main highway will enhance usability and economic benefits. Similarly, Chief Mujidat Sarumi, Iyaloja of Iwo land, praised the projects for opening up the local economy and supporting trade.

The Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan road is a key trade artery in southwestern Nigeria. Once completed, it is expected to reduce travel time, ease congestion, improve road safety, and strengthen regional trade and investment opportunities. By splitting the highway project among multiple contractors, the government hopes to speed construction timelines while maintaining high standards of quality and supervision.

Osun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending