Return to Lagos roads, Sanwo-Olu begs police – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Return to Lagos roads, Sanwo-Olu begs police

Published

on

  • Says, we feel your absence
  • Unfolds new welfare package, modern police stations, life insurance

Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has pleaded with the police to return to the roads to restore sanity to the nation’s economic capital’s highways, saying Lagosians feel the absence of the police.

Many people have in the last few days been continuously trapped in gridlock for hours as traffic police and Lagos State Traffic Management Authority officers stay away from major traffic points, either for fear of being attacked by hoodlums or protesting the killing of some of their colleagues and burning of a number of their police stations during last week’s unrest that followed the #EndSARS protest.

While the gridlock persists, some transport union members and other volunteer battle to free the roads of the heavy traffic.

And to encourage the police to return, Governor Sanwo-Olu has unveiled a new welfare package that will engender a lease of life for serving police and families of the recently killed cops while on duty.

He said the new welfare package including a life insurance cover, modern working environment and health facilities would serve as a morale booster for those still in service and stressed that their absence on the Lagos roads was felt.

The governor said all policemen killed in the violence resulting from the nationwide protests against police brutality will not die in vain, adding that their children would be given scholarship awards to ensure that they would not suffer unduly as a result of the demise of their fathers.

Sanwo-Olu has therefore directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarships to the children to the university level.

Twenty-nine Divisional Police Stations and 17 police posts were razed by hoodlums, who disguised as protesters.

Also, six police officers were lynched, 36 critically injured, while 71 police operational vehicles were torched.

The governor made the offer when he visited the Lagos Police Command Headquarters in Ikeja.

He said the state government would also be compensating family members of the officers killed in the violence and take care of the burial arrangement of the slain officers, adding that the state would be picking up the hospital bills of those injured in the mayhem.

He said the measures were meant to boost the morale of officers, following the demoralising events of the past week in which police officers and their stations were targeted by hoodlums.

Sanwo-Olu said the statutory duties of the police could not be wished away because of the actions of a few bad eggs.

He said the state must put the event of the past week behind it and move on to restore peace.

To achieve this, police officers, he said, must regain their confidence.

He said “Commissioner of Police has come forward with a number of requests, which we will need to address to boost the morale of officers after last week’s event. As your governor, I have come here to take full responsibility for the loss you have suffered in terms of logistics. From tomorrow (Thursday), we will start implementing these requests.

“Through the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF), we will be replacing the police operational vehicles burnt in the violence. We have a bigger plan for all the police stations burnt down. We will look for the funds and build befitting stations that will set the standard of what police stations should be.

“The most important request is to offer scholarship to the children of officers that died. I have directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board under the Special Adviser on Education to immediately award scholarship to the children of the slain officers.”

The governor directed the Executive Secretary of LSSTF, Dr Rasaq Balogun, to establish the modality with the police leadership in the state.

The governor also approved the request to upgrade Police Cottage Hospital in Ikeja, directing the Commissioner for Health to inspect the facility for the required upgrade.

In addition to donating two 150KVa generating sets to the police, Sanwo-Olu said the command headquarters would be connected to the state’s Independent Power Project (IPP) for constant power supply.

The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu, said the manner with which the slain officers were murdered brought down morale in the command.

He said the police officers remained committed to their statutory responsibilities, thanking the governor for approving their requests.

The governor’s gesture, the police boss said, would restore confidence in the state’s police workforce.

Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police in charge of Research and Planning, Leye Oyebade, said the police took away valuable lessons from the EndSARS protest, noting that there was no better time to fully implement the community policing than now.

He said the protest had ended and it was time for the police to win back citizens’ confidence and trust.

“As police officers, we must now go back to the drawing board and cultivate the goodwill of the communities in which we operate. I’m particularly charging divisional police headquarters to devise strategies tailored toward your local realities and employ digital tools,” he said.

News

BREAKING : EFCC declares Yahaya Bello wanted, seeks information on his whereabout

Published

on

BREAKING : EFCC declares Yahaya Bello wanted, seeks information on his whereabout

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Thursday declared former Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, wanted.

The anti-graft agency said Bello is wanted for alleged offences relating to economic and financial crimes to the tune of N80.2 billion.

The EFCC called on Nigerians with information as to his whereabout to report immediately to the Commission or the nearest Police Station.

READ ALSO:

“The public is hereby notified that YAHAYA ADOZA BELLO (former Governor of Kogi State), whose photograph appears above is wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in connection with alleged case of Money Laundering to the tune of N80,246,470,089.88 (Eighty Billion, Two Hundred and Forty Six Million, Four Hundred and Seventy Thousand and Eighty Nine Naira, Eighty Eight Kobo).

Bello, 48-year old Ebiraman, is a native of Okenne Local Government of Kogi State. His last known address is: 9, Benghazi Street, Wuse Zone 4, Abuja.

Anybody with useful information as to his whereabouts should please contact the Commission in its lbadan, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt and Abuja offices or through these numbers 09-9044751-3, 08093322644, 08183322644, 07026350721-3, 0706350724-5; its e-mail address: info@efccnigeria.org or the nearest Police Station and other security agencies, ” a public notice issued by the EFCC read.

BREAKING : EFCC declares Yahaya Bello wanted, seeks information on his whereabout

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Submit yourself for probe, FG tells Ex-Kogi gov, Yahaya Bello

Published

on

Yahaya Bello

BREAKING: Submit yourself for probe, FG tells Ex-Kogi gov, Yahaya Bello

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, has called on the immediate-past governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, to submit himself for probe.

Bello is being wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged corrupt practices while in office as governor of Kogi State.

In a statement he signed on Thursday, the AGF said the EFCC is empowered by law to invite any Nigerian for interrogation.

He also described the action of the incumbent governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Ododo, who used his immunity to prevent Bello’s arrest on Wednesday as ‘disquieting.’

According to him, he stands for the rule of law and will ensure no right of any Nigerian is trampled upon.

The AGF said: “The bizarre drama confronting the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in the course of its efforts to perform its statutory duty has come to my notice (Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice) as a matter of very grave concern.

READ ALSO:

“It is now beyond doubt that the EFCC is given power by the law to invite any person of interest to interact with them in the course of their investigation into any matter regardless of status. Therefore, the least that we can all do when invited is not to put any obstruction in the way of EFCC but to honourably answer their invitation.

“A situation where public officials who are themselves subject of protection by law enforcement agents will set up a stratagem of obstruction to the civil and commendable efforts of the EFCC to perform its duty is to say the least, insufferably disquieting. A flight
from the law does not resolve issues at stake but only exacerbates it.

“I state unequivocally that I stand for the rule of law and will promptly call EFCC and indeed any other agency to order when there is indication of any transgression of the fundamental rights of any Nigerian by any of the agencies, but I also tenaciously hold the view that institutions of State should be allowed to function effectively and efficiently. Nigeria has a vibrant judicial system that is capable of protecting everyone who follows the rule of law in seeking protection.

“I, therefore, encourage anyone who has been invited by the EFCC or any other agency to immediately toe the path of decency and civility by honouring such invitation instead of embarking on a temporising self-help and escapism that can only put our country in bad light before the rest of the world.”

BREAKING: Submit yourself for probe, FG tells Ex-Kogi gov, Yahaya Bello

Continue Reading

News

APC: Reprieve for Ganduje, Federal High Court stops his suspension

Published

on

National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje

APC: Reprieve for Ganduje, Federal High Court stops his suspension

The former governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, has secured a court order from a Federal High Court in Kano halting his purported suspension as the National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The order is sequel to an ex parte motion filed by Ganduje seeking to enforce his fundamental right to fair hearing.

According to the certified true copy of the order released on Thursday to journalists, the respondents in the application are the Police, Department of State Services DSS, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps NSCDC and nine other individuals.

Recall the APC executives in Ganduje ward of Dawakin Tofa local government area of Kano State had on April 16, announced the suspension of Ganduje over alleged corruption.

The decision was however quashed by both the State Working Committee of the APC in Kano and the National Working Committee NWC.

READ ALSO:

A judge of the Kano State High Court, Usman Na’abba, had however affirmed the suspension and warned Ganduje against parading himself as head of the NWC and National Chairman of the APC.

However, in the ex parte order delivered on Wednesday by the Federal High Court and made available to journalists on Thursday, A.M Liman, a judge of the Federal High Court in Kano said the suspension should not be implemented until the case is heard and determined.

“That all the Respondents, their servants, agents or privies are hereby restrained from Implementing and/or giving effect to the purported decision reached during the purported emergency meeting of the alleged Executive members of APC Ganduje Ward, held at Ganduje Ward of Dawakin Tofa Local.

“That all the parties are hereby mandated to maintain status quo before the purported emergency meeting of the alleged executive members of APC Ganduje Ward, and to stay action in respect of this matter pending the hearing and determination of the substantive application,” Liman said.

April 30 has been fixed to hear Ganduje’s appeal.

APC: Reprieve for Ganduje, Federal High Court stops his suspension

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content