Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania

Published

on

Arrested

Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania

Operatives of the Zone 2 Command of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested a woman whose identity was not disclosed alongside an accomplice for allegedly trafficking young girls to Mauritania as commercial sex workers for N50,000.

The Zonal Public Relations Officer, Umma Ayuba, disclosed in a statement on Tuesday that the suspects were arrested at their hideout in the Meiran area of Lagos State on March 22.

She disclosed that the syndicate worked with other accomplices in Mauritania to traffic young ladies as commercial sex workers.

According to Ayuba, the suspects confessed to the crime upon their arrest and interrogation.

Ayuba stated, “Operatives of the Zonal Intelligence Response Squad led by SP Francis Kpoughul stormed their base where two suspects were apprehended.

“The first suspect said she was introduced to a woman based in Mauritania by another woman, who has been prosecuted for the same offence and is currently serving a jail term.”

READ ALSO:

The ZPRO added that the first suspect confessed that she received a sum of N50,000 for each person, and among her victims was her 19-year-old daughter.

“She said the woman in Mauritania contracted her to recruit young girls below the age of 22 to be used as sex workers there.

“She added that she received N50,000 as a commission for each girl sent to Mauritania.

“She confessed that, among the girls she recruited, was her 19-year-old daughter. She also admitted to receiving over N500,000 from the woman in Mauritania.”

The second suspect was said to have admitted that she was contracted by the first suspect to recruit girls as domestic staff in Mauritania, but when she sent one victim to the first suspect, she rejected it.

The second suspect told the police further that she became suspicious after the victim she sent to the first suspect was rejected, and upon further questioning, she realised that the victims were to be used as sex workers.

The ZPRO continued. “She said that, upon further questioning, she discovered the girls were to be used as sex workers and decided to withdraw from the business.

“She added that the only girl she sent to the first suspect was rejected due to her age and body size. That was when she realised something was wrong.”

Ayuba concluded that the suspects would be charged in court upon the conclusion of an ongoing investigation.

PUNCH Metro reported on March 3 that the Ogun State Police Command arrested a 28-year-old woman, Opeyemi Adetoro, for trafficking three girls to Libya from the Oke Itoku area of Abeokuta, Ogun State.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Omolola Odutola, disclosed that the suspect was arrested after the mother of one of the trafficked victims reported to the police that her child had been taken to Libya without her consent.

Woman arrested for trafficking daughter for N50,000 to Mauritania

Punch

metro

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Published

on

An accident scene
File photo

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

– Brake Failure Suspected as Governor Orders Immediate Probe

Tragedy struck on Tuesday morning as seven persons lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in a multiple-vehicle crash at the busy Ota Toll Gate along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.

The fatal collision, which occurred during peak traffic hours, reportedly involved a fully loaded trailer suspected to have suffered brake failure before ramming into smaller vehicles, including a commercial tricycle and a mini-bus. Eyewitness accounts described scenes of panic as the out-of-control truck ploughed into vehicles waiting near the toll gate.

Emergency responders from the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), and the Nigeria Police swiftly arrived at the scene to rescue victims and clear the wreckage.

The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were deposited at a state mortuary.

“The truck was speeding and suddenly lost control. People were shouting and running for safety,” an eyewitness told reporters at the scene.

READ ALSO:

In a statement issued hours after the incident, Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and ordered a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the crash. He condemned reckless driving and poor vehicle maintenance, particularly among heavy-duty truck operators.

“This avoidable tragedy underscores the urgent need for strict adherence to traffic regulations and proper vehicle maintenance,” the governor stated.

Motorists experienced heavy gridlock along the expressway as officials worked for several hours to restore normal traffic flow. Authorities have reiterated calls for drivers to exercise caution and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before embarking on journeys.

The Lagos–Abeokuta corridor, especially around Sango–Ota, has witnessed repeated fatal accidents over the years, raising concerns among residents and commuters about road safety enforcement and infrastructure conditions.

Investigations into the exact cause of Tuesday’s crash are ongoing.

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel
TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

A young woman identified as Mirabel has shared a harrowing account of a near-death experience following an alleged rape attack in her apartment in Lagos, triggering widespread outrage and calls for justice.

In a video posted on TikTok under the handle @mirab351, Mirabel said the incident occurred on Sunday morning after she opened her door, believing it was a neighbour. According to her account, she was overpowered and lost consciousness during the attack.

She later said she regained awareness to find an intruder assaulting her. The assailant allegedly left her injured before fleeing. Mirabel explained that she initially thought the bleeding she noticed afterward was menstrual, until she received disturbing messages from a man she identified as the suspect.

READ ALSO:

Screenshots shared by the victim show the suspect boasting about the attack and making threats intended to discourage her from seeking justice. The messages, which have circulated widely online, have drawn strong condemnation from the public.

In a follow-up video, Mirabel appeared visibly distressed and disclosed that she attempted to harm herself afterward but was rushed to hospital by a friend and survived. She thanked those who reached out in support and said she needed time to recover before engaging further.

The case has sparked an outpouring of sympathy from Nigerians across social media, with many demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of the suspect and renewed action against sexual violence. Advocacy groups and citizens are urging law enforcement to ensure accountability and protect survivors.

Mirabel’s story has reignited conversations about women’s safety, survivor support, and the need for swift justice in Nigeria.

If you or someone you know is in danger or struggling after an assault, please seek immediate help from trusted people or local emergency services.

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Continue Reading

metro

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Published

on

Speaker, House of Reps, Tajudeen Abbas

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Abuja — Tension erupted at the National Assembly on Tuesday as opposition lawmakers staged a dramatic walkout in protest against the approval of manual collation of election results as a backup to electronic transmission.

The controversy unfolded during plenary when a motion seeking to adopt manual collation as a contingency measure in the event of technical failure of electronic transmission systems was presented for consideration. While the majority lawmakers supported the proposal, opposition members strongly objected, arguing that the move could undermine electoral transparency and public confidence in the electoral process.

Heated Debate on the Floor

The debate quickly grew intense as several opposition representatives warned that reintroducing manual collation, even as a backup, could open the door to manipulation and irregularities.

One opposition lawmaker described the decision as “a dangerous step backward,” insisting that Nigeria’s electoral reforms were designed to eliminate the flaws associated with manual processes. According to them, reliance on manual collation in previous elections had been a major source of disputes and litigation.

However, lawmakers from the majority caucus defended the proposal, stating that the backup option was necessary to safeguard the integrity of elections in situations where electronic systems malfunction due to network failure, cyber threats, or logistical challenges.

A ranking member of the majority party argued that “no responsible legislature should ignore the possibility of technical glitches,” stressing that manual collation would only serve as a last resort and not replace electronic transmission.

READ ALSO:

Dramatic Walkout

Following the Speaker’s ruling allowing the motion to proceed to approval by voice vote, opposition lawmakers rose from their seats in protest. Chanting “No to manual manipulation” and “Protect our votes,” they exited the chamber en masse.

The walkout temporarily disrupted proceedings, drawing reactions from observers and legislative aides present in the gallery.

Despite the protest, the remaining lawmakers proceeded to adopt the motion, effectively approving manual collation as a backup mechanism pending further legislative fine-tuning and possible amendments to the electoral framework.

Implications for Electoral Reform

The development is expected to generate significant political debate across party lines and among civil society organizations. Advocacy groups have consistently pushed for full electronic transmission of results to minimize human interference and enhance credibility.

Political analysts say the decision could become a flashpoint ahead of future elections, especially given past controversies surrounding result collation.

As of press time, leaders of the opposition caucus were reportedly preparing a joint press briefing to outline their position and next steps, including the possibility of seeking judicial interpretation if the approval translates into legislative amendments.

Further updates will follow as the situation develops.

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending