metro
16-yr-old girl recounts how own father repeatedly defiled her after mother relocated to SA
A teenager (name withheld) on Thursday narrated to an Ikeja Domestic Violence and Sexual Offences Court how her 43-year-old biological father (name withheld) allegedly defiled her many times.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the survivor, aged 16, testified at her father’s trial.
She was led in evidence by Lagos State counsel, Ms Bukola Okeowo.
The witness said that before the alleged defilement, her mother relocated to South Africa.
According to her, her mother relocated in 2014.
She said that her father had been having sex with her since she was 14 years.
The survivor said that her father told her that “holy spirit” instructed him to have sexual intercourse with her.
“I was 14 years’ old when the incident happened. It started with him touching my body.
“When I noticed this, I moved away my body from him. I told my twin brother about it the following morning, but he did not believe me.
“The next day, he had sex with me . I could not shout nor do anything because my father threatened me,” the survivor told the court.
She testified that her father continued to defile her even after they relocated to Badore, Ajah, Lagos State.
READ ALSO:
- Gunmen attack Soludo’s LG secretariat, kill 2
- Ghana, other African countries lobbying companies to leave Nigeria —Adebayo, Industry Minister
- Ukraine Army Is Using ‘Terminator Drones’ to ‘Scare Russians’ Into Retreat
“At this point, it became an issue because he had sex with me almost every time on a beach.”
“There was a night he woke me up and told me that ‘holy spirit’ told him to have sex with me and when he realised I was not ready to submit myself, he forcefully had sex with me.
“There was also a time my father had issues with his girlfriend. He woke me up and took me to the kitchen to have sex with me.
“I did not make any sound because he threatened to kill me – the reason I could not tell my mother.”
She testified that her father later took her and her twin brother to his girlfriend’s residence at Chevron area of Lekki, Lagos State, to live with her, adding that he still had sex with her (survivor) there.
She said that her father asked her to pack out of his girlfriend’s house one midnight but she objected and neighbours waded in.
“I saw him at my back at midnight telling me to pack my things and leave the house that day.
“As I was packing, I was scared he might have sex with me again; so, I locked the door from inside,” she testified
The minor told the court that after interventions from the landlord and another old man, she opened the door.
“He took my bag and dragged me out. It was from there I started shouting for help.
“Some youths in the neighbourhood came out and confronted him, asking him where he wanted to take me to at that time of the night.
“He told them that I would not stay in that house again.
“It was at that time I told the other old man that my father had been having sex with me.”
READ ALSO:
- Russia becomes 2nd country ever kicked off UN Human Rights Council
- No more media coverage of Nnamdi Kanu, B’Haram sponsors trials – Court
- Eight years after, court acquits Abba Moro over recruitment tragedy
The survivor said the old man called the estate chairman the following morning.
“The man asked if I wanted to pursue the case and I told him, ‘Yes.’
She said that she also told her father’s girlfriend about the alleged defilement in April 2021 and she connected with her mother on Facebook and informed her about the alleged crime.
She said that her father and mother communicated to each other once in a while and mostly ended up in a fight.
“The case was later reported at Langbasa Police Station in Ajah. After that, it was transferred to the state command.
I later went to the Gender Section of the state police command and they took me to Mirabel Medical Centre where tests were carried out on me.
“I also went to the Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Agency (DSVRA) for counselling,” she said.
While responding to questions from defence counsel, Mr Buhari Momoodu, the teenager testified that she was once defiled before her father had canal knowledge of her.
She also said that she did not have any quarrel with her father.
“But he said we were not peaceful; that was the reason he took us to his girlfriend’s place.
“I saw my father as a role model before, because people respect him. He always prays; sometimes, he wakes us up at midnight to pray.
Another witness, Dr Oyedeji Alagbe, a forensic examiner at the Mirabel Centre, told the court that he carried out medical examinations on the survivor on June 28, 2021.
He said that his findings showed no fresh injuries on the vagina but showed that the survivor had repeated forceful vaginal penetration.
Justice Ramon Oshodi adjourned the case until June 6 for continuation of trial.
Vanguard
![]()
metro
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, supported by vigilantes and local hunters, apprehended 30-year-old Halima Ibrahim during an intelligence-led raid in Bassa Local Government Area. The operation, linked to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, a locally fabricated revolver, and other military items.
Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria and local hunters, have arrested a suspected gunrunner and recovered an AK-47 rifle, magazines and other military-related items in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. The operation was carried out on Friday, August 21, following intelligence linking the area to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, Dr Abraham Owoicho, who was kidnapped on August 19.
According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops moved into Kisayi and Dogon Daji settlements after receiving intelligence on the activities of suspected criminals operating in the communities. The troops, supported by local security volunteers and hunters, raided the settlements and searched identified locations.
Several male residents reportedly fled into the surrounding bush when they sighted the advancing security personnel, leaving women and children behind. A 30-year-old woman, identified as Halima Ibrahim, was however arrested while allegedly attempting to escape with two AK-47 rifle magazines. Following her arrest, troops cordoned off and searched her residence in Kisayi B Village.
The search reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, which investigators are working to trace to its source and determine its ownership. During preliminary questioning, the suspect allegedly told investigators that the rifle belonged to her husband, identified as Ibrahim. Troops also recovered a locally fabricated revolver pistol, a military jungle hat and three mobile phones from the residence. The suspect and the recovered items have been taken into military custody as investigations continue.
READ ALSO:
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
- Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
The Nigerian Army has reiterated its commitment to conducting intelligence-driven operations to dismantle criminal networks involved in kidnapping, arms trafficking, and other violent crimes across the country. The operation in Plateau was part of broader efforts, with separate operations in Edo State leading to the rescue of a kidnapped victim.
According to security sources, investigators are working to establish the source of the firearms, the circumstances surrounding their possession and any possible links between the suspects and criminal networks operating in the area. The operation forms part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to disrupt kidnapping networks and the illegal arms trade in Plateau State, particularly following recent abductions in Bassa Local Government Area. Further intelligence-driven operations are expected in the affected communities as security agencies continue investigations.
The arrest comes amid heightened security operations in Plateau State, where troops and other security agencies have intensified efforts to disrupt criminal networks. In a separate operation on August 19, troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, recovered one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated revolver rifle, two Dane guns and 15 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during a raid in Mangu Local Government Area, following intelligence about a suspected attack on Mwar community. The military has also intensified operations across the state, with troops of Sector 6 arresting 19 suspects in Riyom Local Government Area following an ambush that killed two security operatives.
Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
![]()
metro
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.
The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.
The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.
The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
READ ALSO:
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
- Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
- N3.14 Trillion Spent on Electricity Subsidy in 31 Months – FG
The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.
The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.
Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.
The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.
The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.
The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.
After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.
With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.
However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.
The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.
For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.
For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
![]()
metro
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro3 days agoArmed Men Raze ADC Chieftain’s House, Beat Family Members in Rivers Attack
