2 dead, many injured as APC, PDP supporters clash in Osun
Two people have been reported killed and many others injured from a clash between supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ikire, Osun State.
At the centre of the clash which occurred on Tuesday were Amidu Tadese, the APC senatorial candidate in Osun West District and his PDP rival, Lere Oyewumi.
Both candidates were reported to have fixed their campaign rallies for Ikire on the same day.
Mr Tadese said Mr Oyewumi led a band of thugs to attack the gathering of his own supporters when they were about to start their rally.
“Our supporters had already erected canopy and assembled at Ward 9, Ikire before the incident occured. We were about to start the meeting when we saw the hoodlums shooting sporadically shortly after someone offered the opening prayers at the meeting,” he said.
“They were more than 30 in number led by Akogun Lere Oyewumi, the PDP Osun West Senatorial Candidate.
“They were shooting from Naira and Kobo area and before we knew it, they were already at the venue attacking people and destroying property, including our vehicles and commercial minibuses and tricycles,” he added.
- Cameroonian forces apprehend pro-Biafra commander in Bakassi
- Breaking: Tinubu alleges plans to scuttle elections using fuel scarcity, naira redesign
- Female banker stripped naked while trying to recover bank loan
But Mr Oyewumi said it was the APC members that attacked and killed two of his supporters.
“The APC thug attacked our members while coming from our rally in the night and they have killed two people now while some of our members are receiving treatment in a hospital presently,” he said.
“They started attacking us as we were running for the safety of our lives.”
Yemisi Opalola, the police spokesperson in the state, confirmed the incident.
Mrs Opalola said one person was confirmed dead while some others were receiving treatment in the hospital.
“There was a fracas between the two parties yesterday and when the police intervened, we settled the crisis amicably for the two parties.
“It was later in the night that they attacked each other again that led to the death of one person and some were injured. The injured have been taken to the hospital,” she said.
“When we interrogated one of the injured victims, he said five people were brought to the hospital and only two of them were seen this morning, so he didn’t know the whereabouts of the remaining three people.”
The police spokesperson said normalcy has been restored in the area in Ikire.
“Normalcy has been restored in the area, people are now going on with their businesses.”
Osun State was run for 12 years by the APC from 2010, until the PDP won the last governorship election in the state on 16 July.
Since the election, many cases of political violence involving the two parties have been reported.
The governorship election petition tribunal will on Friday deliver judgement on a petition filed by the APC against the return of Governor Ademola Adeleke as the winner of the election.
PDP crisis worsens as Benue ward suspends national chairman Ayu
The Peoples Democratic Party on Sunday announced the suspension of its National Chairman, Senator Iyorchia Ayu.
This was announced by the Benue ward head of the party, which accused Ayu of working against the party and responsible for the poor performance of the PDP at the ward in the last governorship and house of assembly elections.
This is coming after the National Working Committee of the party had dragged the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, to the disciplinary committee to investigate him on alleged anti-party activities.
The Ward Executive of the party at Igyorov Ward of Gboko Local Government Area, LGA, of the state announced Ayu’s suspension on Sunday.
Addressing journalists on behalf of Kashi Philip, the Ward Chairman, the Ward Secretary, Mr Vangeryina Dooyum, said Ayu was suspended by the executive for alleged anti-party activities.
Dooyum read from a text signed by 12 out of the 17 member Ward Executive.
He said, “We observe with utmost dismay that Dr Iyorchia Ayu who is the National Chairman of the PDP worked against the success of the party in Igyorov Council Ward.
“It is on record that he has also failed to pay his annual subscription fees as provided under Section 8 (9) of the constitution of the PDP 2017 (As amended).
“Further investigation also revealed that he did not vote during the governorship and state assembly elections held on March 18, 2023.
“It was also discovered that most of his closest allies worked for the opposition party, the All Progressive Congress, and hence, the abysmal performance of the PDP in Igyorov Ward.
“In view of the foregoing, we hereby pass a Vote of No Confidence in Dr. Iyorchia Ayu and suspend him as a member of our party with immediate effect. The suspension takes effect from March 24, 2023.”
I’ll continue to challenge outcome of Feb 25 presidential poll – Atiku
Atiku denies legitimising Tinubu mandate
Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, says he will continue to challenge the process that conferred victory on the All Progressives Congress candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
He said this in a statement he signed in Abuja, on Saturday.
He described as fake a statement written in his name stating that he conferred legitimacy on the election which Tinubu was said to have won.
Atiku said, “I have been notified of a fake press release attributed to me and purportedly giving legitimacy to the widely rigged presidential election of February 25.
“The so-called press release did not emanate from me or my office, and it should be treated with repudiation, untrue, and deliberately contrived by those who illegally appropriated the mandate of the Nigerian people.
“For the avoidance of any doubt, I wish to state categorically that my lawyers still have my unflinching mandate to challenge the outcome of the February 25 presidential election.
“I join other lovers of democracy in Nigeria and friends of our great country in the outright rejection of the pre-determined outcome of the February 25 election.
“I shall continue to challenge the legality of that election, alongside my party, the Peoples Democratic Party.
“The decision to challenge the sham election of February 25, the worst election in our democratic history, is not predicated on my personal interest but for the interest of Nigeria and its people.
“It is aimed at deepening democracy and ensuring that we do not confer legitimacy to an outcome of illegitimacy.
“My commitment to the democratic struggle in Nigeria is beyond an election season.”
Tinubu talks tough, says nobody can truncate transition process
‘You can’t be in court and on the street‘
President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has warned those plotting to stop his inauguration on May 29 to bury the thought.
He also said the efforts by some opposition parties to truncate the transition process would be resisted, adding that those trying to subvert the nation’s democracy would soon be fished out and brought to book.
Tinubu in a statement by his Director, Public Affairs and Minister of State Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo SAN, also warned the presidential candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and that of the Labour Party LP, Mr Peter Obi against taking to the streets while also pursuing their cases in court.
In the statement released on Saturday in Abuja, the Tinubu noted that those taking to the streets protesting against his mandate were fixated on having an Interim National Government.
Part of the statement read, “We have watched with great concern the condemnable activities of some persons and groups who are desirous of truncating our democracy.
“For reasons best known to them, these persons have remained embittered that Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was declared winner of the 2023 General Elections. Repeatedly, but unfortunately, these misguided individuals have called for either the cancellation of the results or that the President-elect should not be inaugurated on the 29th of May, 2023.
“We wish to reiterate and emphasise that these positions are not in tandem with our constitutional provisions or our electoral laws. We would have taken these as mere wishful thinking, however, because of their implications for national security and public order, we have therefore considered it necessary, if not expedient, to call them to order.
“We are aware of the intentions of those engaged in these treasonable and subversive acts. We also know those involved in the many plots being contrived to undermine the transition in particular and democracy in general. They are fixated on an Interim Government. They have done it in this country before and it threw the country into avoidable crises for many years and they want to do it again. They are bent on delegitimizing the new government. Some have made treasonable insinuations and openly called for military take-over. It is for these reasons that they are desperate to incite the people against the incoming Government.
“It is perplexing to see that those contesting the results want to be in the courts and on the streets at the same time. However, if their intention is to truncate the inauguration of the President-elect and Vice-President-elect, they should immediately bury the thought. It is gratifying to note that the President has set in motion steps for the actualisation of the swearing-in ceremonies. In this regard, the Presidential Transition Council has remained focused and committed to its Terms of Reference in respect of organizing a hitch-free handover.”
The statement also noted that on many occasions after the declaration of Tinubu as the winner of the election, his public speeches and utterances had centred on reconciliation, forgiveness and a greater vision for Nigeria.
It added that the President-elect knows those sponsoring violent protests against his mandate as well as their sponsors from within and outside Nigeria and that he would be working closely with the security agencies to apprehend them and bring them to book
It said, “By being declared winners, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Senator Kashim Shettima are legally entitled to be inaugurated into office as provided for by law and as we have practised since 1999, whilst those who feel otherwise have the right to seek legal redress in court. Why should their situation be different from what we have practised since 1999?
“Those who are dissatisfied with the declaration must conduct themselves within the ambits of the law. Nigeria is not a lawless country and should not be portrayed as such no matter the frustrations as presently being exhibited by some bad losers.
“Those who are stoking the embers of hate, division and falsehoods as well as peddling misleading narratives through some compromised media outlets should detract from such. It amounts to campaigning after elections. Hate speeches, fake news and propaganda at a time like this are needless because Nigerians have already made their choice. Those who are bent on scuttling the process will ignite the fire of destruction and run away. But they should not even start.”
PDP crisis worsens as Benue ward suspends national chairman Ayu
UK says Lagos, Onitsha, P’Harcourt should be cosmopolitan cities
FG fixes census for May 3-5
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Politics7 days ago
BREAKING: NNPP wins Kano guber election
metro4 days ago
BREAKING: NLC directs workers to shut down CBN offices nationwide
metro1 day ago
Updated: Court dismisses PDP suit seeking Tinubu, Shettima’s disqualification
News6 days ago
Ramadan: Sultan urges Muslims to look out for new moon on Wednesday
metro5 days ago
Grandmother sets son, wife, two grandchildren ablaze in Ondo
metro7 days ago
House of Assembly member, 163 others arrested over attempt to destroy Kano INEC office
Politics6 days ago
Wike’s anointed candidate, Siminialayi Fubara, declared Rivers governor-elect
metro7 days ago
Bandits kill chief’s wife after N2m ransom in Kaduna