News
37.1bn fraud: Why I didn’t honour EFCC’s invitation – Ex-minister
37.1bn fraud: Why I didn’t honour EFCC’s invitation – Ex-minister
Citing health challenges, the former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, Sadiya Umar-Farouq has officially written to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission seeking an extension of the deadline to meet with EFCC interrogators over an ongoing probe into the N37,170,855,753.44 allegedly laundered during her tenure in office, through a contractor, James Okwete.
The PUNCH had earlier exclusively reported that Umar-Farouq faces arrest by operatives of the EFCC after failing to appear before interrogators at the EFCC Headquarters on Wednesday.
Reacting to the development in an exclusive telephone interview with our correspondent on Thursday, the spokesperson for the EFCC, Dele Oyewale said Umar had sent a legal representative to the commission and has written to the commission seeking to be given more time to honour the invitation while citing health challenges.
Oyewale said, “The former Humanitarian Minister didn’t appear before the commission yesterday, but she sent in a letter pleading for more time and also explaining that she has some health challenges and that was why she couldn’t honour the invitation. She also sent in her lawyer to meet with interrogators.
“However, the commission has mandated her to submit herself to the commission without further delay. We are still tracing all the transactions, hence we cannot put a figure to everything now as the investigation is still ongoing.”
The PUNCH had reported that Umar-Farouq kept interrogators waiting for over eight hours on Wednesday without an official communication to the commission as to why she didn’t honour the invitation.
The former minister was asked to appear before investigators at the EFCC Headquarters, Jabbi, Abuja on Wednesday, January 3, 2024, at about 10:00 am, to give an account of the alleged monumental fraud that took place under her watch, a document exclusively seen by our correspondent on Saturday revealed.
However, our correspondent who was at the EFCC Headquarters from 9 am and left at about 6:30 pm on Wednesday confirmed that Umar-Farouq did not show up at the anti-graft agency’s office for interrogation.
Our correspondent who monitored development at the EFCC Headquarters on Wednesday observed the presence of journalists who arrived at the venue at different intervals in expectation of Umar Farouq’s arrival.
An interrogator who spoke with our correspondent on the condition of anonymity Wednesday evening revealed that the interrogation team had to retire from work at about 6 pm when they were certain that the former Minister was not going to show up on Wednesday.
“We just closed from work now because she didn’t show up today, and it’s 6 pm already, it’s certain that she’s never going to show up today,” she said.
Meanwhile, an impeccable senior anti-graft source revealed that Umar-Farouq might be arrested by operatives of the EFCC within the week if she fails to voluntarily appear before investigators at the EFCC’s Headquarters as officially requested by the commission.
“Hajia Sadiya didn’t show up at our (EFCC) office today for interrogation. In fact she kept interrogatories waiting for hours. Meanwhile, our operatives may arrest her this week and bring her in for questioning if she fails to show up tomorrow,” the source revealed.
The PUNCH had earlier exclusively reported that the EFCC invited the former Minister to come to answer questions concerning an ongoing investigation into an alleged ₦37.1bn fraud uncovered in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.
READ ALSO:
- Man arrested for attacking Lagos building control officials with charms (picture)
- N40bn probe: EFCC may declare ex-minister wanted, traces N30bn to private accounts
- Naira falls to N1,035/$ official rate, N1,230 at black market
The document partly read, “The commission is investigating a case of money laundering involving the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development during your time as Minister.
“In view of the above, you are requested to kindly report for an interview with the undersigned. Scheduled as follows: Wednesday 3rd, January 2024. 10:00 am. This request is made pursuant to section 38 (I) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act 2004 & section 21 of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.”
The ex-minister could not be reached for comments on Wednesday. Also, when contacted, Umar-Farouk’s former media aide, Nnaka Ikem did not respond to phone calls and text messages from our correspondent.
The PUNCH had earlier reported that the EFCC arrested a contractor, James Okwete, in connection with the ongoing probe into the N37.1bn allegedly laundered by the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development under the former Minister, Umar-Farouk.
A top EFCC official, who confided in our correspondent on Sunday, said the contractor had made useful statements concerning Umar-Farouk and former director-general of the ministry.
Impeccable sources had earlier confirmed to The PUNCH that Okwete, who is still being held at the EFCC Headquarters, Jabi, Abuja, had been cooperating with investigators.
A source said, “The contractor, Mr Okwete, who was used in laundering the money had been arrested by the commission. He is currently detained in our custody and has been giving investigators more details that have indicted the former Minister, Sadiya and some DGs under the ministry, and they may be brought in anytime soon too.”
Alleged N37.1bn fraud
Another source noted, “The contractor involved in the N37.bn fraud has been arrested and will spend Christmas in our custody. He has given some names, and the former humanitarian affairs minister and directors-general in the ministry were linked to the fraud.”
READ ALSO:
- Former Sierra Leone President relocates to Nigeria on asylum after treason charges
- FG orders agencies to immediately begin 50% remittance of IGR
- Africa’s richest: S’African businessman Rupert displaces Dangote
The PUNCH reports that the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs currently serves as the parent ministry to eight agencies, including the National Social Investment Office, the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals, and the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants, and Internationally Displaced Persons, among others.
Umar-Farouq was the pioneer Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.
She was appointed by former President Muhammadu Buhari in July 2019 as the youngest cabinet member.
Her work with Buhari dates back to his days as the leader and presidential candidate of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change when she was the national treasurer of the party and later the national treasurer of the All Progressives Congress.
Meanwhile, in 2020, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission said it uncovered N2.67bn meant for the ministry’s school feeding programme in private bank accounts.
The former ICPC Chairman, Prof Bolaji Owasanoye, disclosed that the commission unravelled N2.67bn in personal accounts, being payment made to some federal colleges for school feeding during the COVID-19 lockdown in 2020.
Other discoveries by the ICPC include 18 buildings, 12 business premises and 25 plots of land.
Owasanoye said under the Open Treasury Portal review carried out between January and August 15, 2020, of the 268 Ministries, Departments and Agendas, 72 had cumulative infractions of N90m.
The former ICPC chairman argued that the money was paid when children were not in school.
37.1bn fraud: Why I didn’t honour EFCC’s invitation – Ex-minister
News
Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
A former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini, has raised concerns that Nigeria’s ongoing debate over electronic transmission of election results exposes unresolved legal, institutional, and technological challenges, despite years of electoral reforms. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Monday, Igini warned that recent Senate amendments to the Electoral Act could create confusion and vulnerabilities in future elections, particularly the 2027 general polls. He stressed that failing to clarify rules on electronic results transmission risks undermining democracy, transparency, and public confidence.
The controversy stems from the Senate’s recent amendment to the Electoral Act, which now allows electronic transmission of results but removed the “real-time” requirement that had previously been proposed to enable direct uploading from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IREV). Under the amendment, Form EC8A, the physical result sheet, remains the primary document in cases of internet outages or connectivity failure. Igini cautioned that this creates a grey area that could trigger disputes in 2027 if presiding officers are allowed discretion over network availability, highlighting that legal and technological clarity is essential to avoid chaos.
READ ALSO:
- DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training
- Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring
- EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations
Referencing a 2021 technical report by INEC and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Igini said Nigeria possesses adequate telecommunications coverage, with 2G and 3G networks covering about 93% of the country, making electronic transmission feasible nationwide. INEC had also mapped polling units to mobile network operators and prepared SIM cards and data arrangements to ensure smooth uploads to IREV. He explained that Nigeria had previously relied on interim innovations, including biometric voter registers, card readers, and digital result-viewing platforms, to enhance transparency where legal provisions prohibited full electronic transmission.
Igini further warned that introducing discretionary fallbacks for “network issues” could reintroduce vulnerabilities, as presiding officers might abuse their authority to manipulate results. He emphasised that modern election devices, such as BIVAS machines, can operate both online and offline, uploading results at the nearest connectivity point to ensure integrity in IREV. “The whole purpose of IREV is to make results verifiable and immutable once entered. Allowing manual override defeats the reforms we have painstakingly implemented over the years,” he said.
He also noted that judicial interpretations and evolving legislative amendments have contributed to uncertainty over the legality of technological innovations in elections. Igini urged lawmakers to consider the long-term implications of changes to the Electoral Act, stressing that Nigeria’s democratic stability relies on cooperation between INEC, the judiciary, and key stakeholders. “Our democracy’s future depends on the rule of law. Without it, society risks being dominated by those who act for personal interest rather than public good,” he added.
With the 2027 elections approaching, Igini’s warnings underscore the need for clear legal frameworks, technological preparedness, and robust institutional coordination. He urged all stakeholders to work collaboratively to ensure that electronic transmission of results enhances transparency, accountability, and credibility in Nigeria’s electoral process.
Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
News
Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives
Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives
Tension gripped Abuja on Monday as security operatives fired teargas to disperse protesters and supporters of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, during a confrontation at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The standoff reportedly occurred when hundreds of El-Rufai’s supporters accompanied him to the anti-graft agency’s headquarters, escalating an already charged political atmosphere in the Federal Capital Territory.
Eyewitness accounts and video footage circulating online showed security personnel deploying teargas canisters as crowds surged toward the EFCC complex.
In one of the videos, agitated voices were heard declaring, “We will come back; when it clears, we will come back,” suggesting the group’s resolve to sustain their protest despite the crackdown.
READ ALSO:
- NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
- Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening
- Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
The development follows reports last Thursday that El-Rufai was allegedly stopped by security operatives at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, in what his supporters described as an attempted arrest.
While official details surrounding the airport incident remain unclear, the situation appeared to have heightened tensions among his loyalists.
El-Rufai, who served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, remains a prominent political figure and a key voice within Nigeria’s political landscape.
His tenure was marked by sweeping reforms as well as controversy over security challenges and policy decisions in the state.
As of press time, the EFCC had yet to issue an official statement clarifying the circumstances surrounding Monday’s confrontation or addressing reports of any investigation involving the former governor.
Security presence around the commission’s headquarters was significantly reinforced following the clash, with access to parts of the area temporarily restricted.
The incident adds to growing political tensions in the country, particularly as anti-corruption investigations continue to intersect with high-profile political actors.
Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives
News
NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, has clarified that the council has never received financial support from any government, either within or outside Nigeria. Speaking in Lagos at the 31st Annual Pre-Ramadan Lecture of the University of Lagos Muslim Alumni (UMA), Oloyede stressed that the NSCIA operates independently and relies largely on modest private donations to sustain its activities.
Oloyede, who also serves as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), explained that in his 15-year tenure as NSCIA Secretary-General, the council had not received “a kobo” from any government. He added that fewer than 20 individuals have donated amounts up to ₦500,000 since 2013, highlighting that the council functions without significant external funding. He decried misinformation and divisive narratives suggesting government involvement under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Saad Abubakar, noting that such speculation undermines unity within Nigeria’s Muslim community.
READ ALSO:
- Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening
- Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
- Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire
Speaking on the theme “Muslims: The Challenge of National Security,” Oloyede warned against viewing insecurity, terrorism, and banditry through a religious lens. He said extremists often cloak their violent acts in religious language, but such actions do not reflect Islam. “Islam cannot be determined by what extremists say or do. We have a duty to correct that narrative,” he said, urging Muslims to reject all forms of extremism while understanding that insurgency thrives on enabling political, social, and economic conditions.
Oloyede stressed that security is central to Sharia, emphasizing that a true Muslim is someone “from whose actions neighbours — regardless of their faith — are safe and secure.” He cautioned against reducing insecurity to regional or religious differences, noting that all parts of Nigeria face security challenges. He called on Muslims to embrace moral responsibility, civic accountability, and practical partnerships to improve national security.
Other speakers at the lecture also highlighted the societal dimensions of insecurity. Dr. Ridwan Jamiu, Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, described insurgents as agents of evil and stressed the need for religious leaders to promote peace and guide followers toward positive community engagement. Lagos State Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa identified poverty and economic inequality as key drivers of insecurity and urged the government and policymakers to focus on job creation, education, and inclusive development as long-term solutions.
The lecture, part of the annual pre-Ramadan engagements, comes at a time when Nigeria continues to grapple with complex security challenges, including insurgency in the Northeast, banditry in the Northwest and North-Central, and rising violent crime in the South. Experts emphasize that national cohesion, interfaith cooperation, and community-led security initiatives are vital to tackling these threats effectively.
NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
-
Education2 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News2 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro24 hours agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
metro3 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro3 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News2 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro1 day agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
metro2 days agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop


