metro
$6bn Mambilla Contract: Appeal Court suspends judgment barring EFCC from probing Leno Adesanya
$6bn Mambilla Contract: Appeal Court suspends judgment barring EFCC from probing Leno Adesanya
The Court of Appeal in Abuja has stayed the execution of a Federal High Court judgment which barred the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) from investigating Leno Adesanya, the promoter of Sunrise Power and Transmission Ltd, over criminal allegations related to the $6 billion Mambilla hydropower contract.
The appeal court delivered the verdict on Thursday in an application for stay filed by the Attorney General of the Federation’s counsel, T.A. Gazali SAN.
It was reported that Justice Inyang Ekwo of the trial court had ordered the EFCC to immediately remove Leno Adesanya, the promoter of Sunrise Power and Transmission Ltd, from its wanted list in connection with any criminal allegations related to the $6 billion Mambilla hydropower contract.
Justice Ekwo issued the judgment on Monday, September 23, 2024, in a suit filed by Adesanya’s lawyer, M.S. Diri SAN, against the EFCC, the Federal Ministry of Power and Steel, the Federal Government of Nigeria, and the Attorney General of the Federation.
The EFCC had declared Adesanya wanted for “an alleged case of conspiracy and corrupt offer to public officers” related to the Mambilla project.
However, the applicant’s lawyer, Diri, sought a perpetual injunction restraining the EFCC from further investigating, inviting, or publishing his client’s name as a wanted person over the Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Project, citing a pending case at the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration in Paris.
READ ALSO:
- Senate passes tax reform bills for second reading
- Why we jettisoned regional system, split Nigeria into 12 states – Gowon
- NNPCL says Port Harcourt refinery products only for its outlets
During the proceedings at the lower court, Adesanya’s lawyer asked the court to determine the propriety of the EFCC’s powers to investigate the commercial transaction between his client, the federal government, and the Ministry of Power.
- Diri argued that Adesanya, seeking to ensure sustainable power in Nigeria, proposed constructing the Mambilla Hydroelectric Project through Sunrise as the special purpose vehicle to drive the project.
- He noted that Sunrise and its Chinese partners, North China Power and China Hydroelectric companies, held various meetings in China with three Power Ministers regarding the Zungeru and Mambilla projects.
- He submitted that in 2005 and 2006, ex-President Obasanjo approved financial negotiations for the project, but to date, no funds have been disbursed by the federal government to the plaintiffs regarding the contract.
- He said that in an effort to amicably resolve the issues concerning the project, the company wrote letters to the Ministry of Power, leading to meetings between his clients and the executive branch of government.
He added that by a letter dated April 22, 2020, rather than honoring the agreement, the federal government wrote through the Attorney General seeking a review of the terms.
He stated that arbitral proceedings had been scheduled for a virtual hearing on March 22, 2024, on the issue. However, despite the pending case, the federal government and its security agencies, including the EFCC, have sought to criminalize and scandalize the Mambilla Project, aiming to evade their legal contractual obligations.
- In response, the EFCC legal team argued that evidence of criminal activity was established against the plaintiffs during the investigation, leading to charges being framed in a high court.
- The EFCC also denied being used by the federal government or any other entity to witch-hunt or intimidate the plaintiffs, emphasizing that the investigation and prosecution are related to the contractual award for the Mambilla project, which lacked Presidential and Federal Executive Council approval.
READ ALSO:
- FBI informant among 3 Americans released in China-US prisoner exchange
- TCN spends N8.8bn to repair 128 vandalised transmission towers
- UK opens Africa’s largest visa application centre in Lagos
- Justice Ekwo, in his judgment, held that since the Ministry of Power had contested the claims of the plaintiffs and had counterclaimed against them at the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration, the sanctity of the arbitral proceedings must be respected and protected.
- The judge further held that regarding the EFCC’s publication of the name and photograph of the first plaintiff as a “wanted person” on its website, he did not find any valid defense from the agency.
He subsequently declared that the EFCC is not legally entitled to investigate, resolve, or prosecute the contractual dispute between Sunrise and the Ministry of Power and the Federal Government, which is pending before the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration in Paris, under ICC Case Reference No. 26260/SPN/AB/CPB.
However, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) appealed the judgment and also requested that the court stay execution of the judgment, arguing that irreparable damage would occur if the trial judgment is executed before the determination of the pending appeal challenging the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court to determine the suit.
Passing its verdict on Thursday, a three-member panel of the appeal court, led by Justice Joseph Oyewole, upheld the AGF’s submission about the potential damage occurring if the judgment is not stayed.
- Oyewole dismissed Adesanya and his firm’s claim that the application was an abuse of court process.
- He agreed that the balance of convenience was in favor of granting the relief sought in the motion for stay.
He subsequently stayed the execution of the September 23 judgment pending the determination of the pending appeal filed by the AGF.
$6bn Mambilla Contract: Appeal Court suspends judgment barring EFCC from probing Leno Adesanya
metro
Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
A motorcycle accident in Niger State turned deadly when an injured rider was beaten to death by a mob after a sack recovered from the crash scene was found to contain three AK‑47 rifles, six magazines, and 104 rounds of ammunition, police have confirmed. The incident occurred on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, along the Boyi‑Sarki/Toll Gate area in Suleja, as the riders travelled from Tafa in Kaduna State towards Abuja.
According to the Niger State Police Command, two men on a motorcycle collided with a road construction/diversion barrier in a lone accident. One rider died instantly from injuries sustained in the crash, while the second, who was injured, was lynched by a crowd that had gathered under the guise of helping. Both corpses were later taken to the General Hospital morgue in Suleja.
READ ALSO:
- Tacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication
- UK Court Hands Life Sentence to Nigerian Teen for Knife Attack Killing
- Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
Police confirmed that a sack belonging to the victims contained three AK‑47 rifles, six magazines, and 104 rounds of live ammunition, raising concerns about illegal firearms trafficking and potential criminal activity along the busy Kaduna‑Abuja corridor.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, condemned the act of jungle justice, stating that the injured rider could have assisted police in tracing the source of the weapons and exposing criminal networks. CP Elleman directed the Area Commander in Suleja to conduct a thorough investigation and arrest the perpetrators. The recovered rifles are currently undergoing ballistic analysis for further investigation.
The Niger State Police Command emphasised that mob justice endangers lives, obstructs investigations, and undermines the rule of law. Authorities called on citizens to report crimes and suspicious activities to law enforcement rather than resorting to violence.
Security analysts warn that incidents like this highlight broader challenges in parts of northern Nigeria, including illegal arms proliferation, mob violence, and the risks of self-help justice. Communities are urged to cooperate with law enforcement to ensure public safety and accountability.
Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
metro
Police Bust Gang Armoury, Arrest Two Suspects in Delta
Police Bust Gang Armoury, Arrest Two Suspects in Delta
The Delta State Police Command has made a major breakthrough in its fight against armed gangs and violent crime by arresting two suspected armed robbers and uncovering a gang armoury containing locally fabricated firearms and ammunition.
According to the Command, the operation reflects a renewed commitment to dismantle criminal networks, recover illegal weapons, and ensure public safety. Commissioner of Police Aina Adesola stated that the Command “remains resolute in dismantling criminal networks, mopping up illegal firearms, and ensuring that perpetrators of violent crimes are brought to justice.”
The raid followed intelligence-led investigations that led operatives of the Special Assignment Team (CP‑SAT), under ASP Julius Robinson, to a suspected criminal hideout along the Sapele–Warri Road near Adeje Community in the early hours of February 19, 2026. The operation was linked to the interrogation of 25-year-old Dafiaga Timothy from Effurun, allegedly associated with a gang terrorising commuters along the Warri–Sapele axis.
READ ALSO:
- Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
- Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom
- Reno Omokri Alleges El-Rufai, Sons Linked to Dadiyata’s Disappearance
Police recovered a locally fabricated long gun, a cut-to-size firearm, and a Beretta-style pistol loaded with five rounds of live ammunition, along with ten additional cartridges and a dagger. The Command described the seizure as a major disruption to the operational capability of the gang, while investigations continue to identify other suspects and trace the source of the arsenal.
In a related operation on February 18, 2026, officers from the Area Command in Warri intercepted a tricycle along the Agbarho/Warri Expressway. Two occupants fled, but the driver, Aliyu Sabo, 25, was arrested. A search uncovered a locally fabricated pistol, one live cartridge, one expended cartridge, and several other items, including mobile devices and a bag suspected to be linked to criminal activity. Sabo remains in custody as police work to apprehend his accomplices.
The Delta State Police emphasized that these operations form part of a broader campaign to curb violent crime, illegal firearms proliferation, and gang-related activities across the state. Authorities have urged residents to remain security-conscious and report credible information that could aid ongoing investigations.
The discovery is expected to have a significant impact on reducing armed robberies and cult-related violence, particularly along high-risk corridors such as Sapele–Warri Road and Agbarho/Warri Expressway, which have long been affected by criminal syndicates.
Police Bust Gang Armoury, Arrest Two Suspects in Delta
metro
Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom
Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom
The family of seven abducted residents in Erinmope-Ekiti, Moba Local Government Area, Ekiti State, is mourning the death of one of the victims, identified as Hawau Suleiman, who reportedly died in captivity, even after her family paid a ₦25 million ransom for the release of the hostages. Six other abductees were freed following the payment, but the deceased’s remains have not yet been recovered.
The victims were initially kidnapped on January 24, 2026, when armed gunmen stormed the community, abducting five women, including a nursing mother and a pregnant woman. The kidnappers initially demanded a ₦100 million ransom for their release.
Family members first raised ₦10 million and sent two relatives to deliver the money, but the kidnappers rejected the amount and detained the emissaries, increasing the number of captives to seven. After further negotiations, a total of ₦25 million was paid, resulting in the release of six abductees.
One of the freed victims, Muhammad Soliu, who had also been detained as part of the ransom negotiation, recounted the harrowing conditions in captivity. He said the abductees were tied together like goats and forced to trek several kilometres barefoot through dense forests spanning Ekiti, Kwara, and Kogi states.
READ ALSO:
- Reno Omokri Alleges El-Rufai, Sons Linked to Dadiyata’s Disappearance
- UK-Based Nigerian Gets 13-Year Jail Term for Forcing Girlfriend to Abort Pregnancy
- Lawmaker Jailed for Mocking President in Facebook Post
Soliu revealed that the deceased, Hawau Suleiman, became too weak to continue the trek and collapsed. “She was exhausted from the long distance we were made to walk. We pleaded with them to allow us carry her, but they threatened to kill us if we stopped. They ordered us to keep moving without looking back. It was the worst experience of my life,” he said.
He added that the pregnant woman among the captives was taken to an undisclosed hospital for medical attention, while locating Suleiman’s remains would be difficult due to the depth and density of the forest where she reportedly died.
Sunday Abutu, the Police Public Relations Officer in Ekiti State, said the command would investigate the incident and provide further details, but no official updates have yet been released regarding the recovery of the deceased.
The ordeal highlights the growing kidnapping crisis in Ekiti and southwestern Nigeria, where families are often forced to pay large ransoms under threats of violence, and victims face life-threatening conditions in captivity. Security analysts continue to warn that ransom payments, while sometimes saving lives, may embolden criminal gangs and perpetuate the cycle of banditry and insecurity.
Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom
-
International1 day agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
News14 hours agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Politics7 hours agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Entertainment2 days agoActress Destiny Etiko Breaks Silence on Alleged Nollywood Betrayal
-
metro1 day agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
International15 hours agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis


