19 children, two adults killed in Texas school shooting - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

19 children, two adults killed in Texas school shooting

Published

on

Nineteen children and two adults have been confirmed dead in a shooting at a primary school in south Texas, of the United States Tuesday night.

The gunman opened fire on Robb Elementary School, where young children aged seven to 10 are being taught, in the city of Uvalde before he was killed by law enforcement, officials said.

Accoding to a BBC report, investigators say the 18-year-old suspect had a handgun, an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and high-capacity magazines.

The teenager is suspected of shooting his grandmother before the rampage and local media report he may have been a high school student in the area.

Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Chief of Police Pete Arredondo said the shooting began at 11:32 local time on Tuesday, and that investigators believe the attacker “did act alone during this heinous crime”.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott said the shooter, whom he named as Salvador Ramos, abandoned a vehicle before entering the school to “horrifically, incomprehensibly” open fire.

One of the adults killed was a teacher, who has been named in the US media as Eva Mireles. Her page on the school district’s website said she has a daughter in college and loved running and hiking.

Nearly 500 pupils are enrolled in the predominantly Hispanic school around 85 miles (135km) west of the city of San Antonio.

The Associated Press news agency reports that a US Border Patrol official who was nearby when the shooting began rushed into the school and shot and killed the gunman, who was behind a barricade.

Border Patrol is a federal agency that guards US ports of entry. Uvalde, which is fewer than 80 miles from the border with Mexico, is home to a Border Patrol station.

Two border agents were reportedly shot in an exchange with the gunman. One agent was shot in the head, officials say, adding that both were now in a stable condition in hospital.

According to CBS News, the attacker was wearing body armour as he carried out the attack. Another 18-year-old who is suspected of attacking a grocery store in Buffalo, New York, on 14 May was also wearing body armour and carrying a semi-automatic rifle – both of which are commercially available in the US.

The Uvalde Memorial Hospital posted on Facebook earlier that 13 children had been taken to hospital “via ambulances or buses”.

A 66-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl were in a critical condition at a hospital in San Antonio, University Health hospital officials said.

There have already been 27 school shootings this year alone. Young school children routinely rehearse what to do if a gunman enters their classroom.

It’s only 10 days since ten people were killed in a mass shooting in New York.

Politicians recognise this a problem almost unique to America, where guns have overtaken car crashes as the leading cause of death for children and teenagers. But it’s a problem that politics seem incapable of solving. Deeply entrenched views on gun control are not changed in response to events like the tragedy in Uvalde.

“Why do we keep letting this happen?” asked President Biden. “Why are we willing to live with this carnage?”

But there is no sign that Democrats will get any closer to passing tighter gun control legislation. Some Republicans are already accusing of them of using this latest school shooting to cynically further their own political objectives.

Robb Elementary School will join the roll call of school shootings along with Sandy Hook and the Parkland shooting. The killing of innocent schoolchildren has reignited the debate over guns in America, but has not brought it any closer to a resolution.

As evening fell police remained outside the community centre in Uvalde braving an intense rainstorm.

Earlier, cries and sobs could be heard from outside as family members who gathered there received the devastating news that their children had been killed.

Others were asked to give DNA samples to help identify some of the young victims.

Just a few blocks from the Robb Elementary school, a small vigil was held for the victims and survivors of the attack.

Karla Bohman’s voice cracked as she told the group about a family friend whose young daughter, a student at the school, was among those still unaccounted for.

“They don’t know if she’s in surgery or one of the fatalities, but they know she’s a victim of some sort because she’s missing,” Bohman cried. “I can’t believe this.”

Cheryl Juhasz, a lifelong resident of Uvalde, quietly wept during the prayer.

“You can’t comprehend evil like this. No matter where it happens, but it’s harder when it happens at home.”

School district superintendent Hal Harrell said the school year had been ended early in the wake of the shooting.

In a speech from the White House, US President Joe Biden said he was “sick and tired” of responding to mass shootings, as he called for gun control.

“How many scores of little children who witnessed what happened – see their friends die, as if they’re in a battlefield, for God’s sake,” he said. “They’ll live with it the rest of their lives.”

He ordered that flags at the White House and other US federal buildings be flown at half-mast in honour of the victims in Uvalde.

School shootings have become recurring emergencies in the US, with 26 recorded last year, according to EdWeek, an education trade publication.

 

Advertisement

metro

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Published

on

Kano State Hisbah command

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Officials of the Kano State Hisbah Board have arrested nine Muslims in Kano State for allegedly failing to observe fasting during Ramadan, triggering renewed debate over religious enforcement and personal freedoms in northern Nigeria.

According to the Hisbah authorities, the arrests were carried out during routine patrols across parts of Kano metropolis after reports that some individuals were eating and drinking publicly during fasting hours. The suspects were picked up at different locations, including eateries and roadside areas, and were subsequently taken into custody for questioning.

A senior Hisbah official explained that the enforcement action was in line with the agency’s mandate to uphold Islamic moral standards during the holy month of Ramadan, particularly among Muslims who are expected to fast from dawn to sunset.

The official noted that exemptions exist for certain categories of people, including the sick, pregnant women, travelers, and nursing mothers, but stressed that anyone claiming exemption must provide valid justification.

READ ALSO:

“The essence of this exercise is not to punish but to ensure compliance with Islamic principles and preserve the sanctity of Ramadan,” the official said, adding that those arrested would be counselled and possibly released after undertaking to observe the fast.

The arrests have, however, drawn mixed reactions from residents and rights advocates. While some Kano residents supported the move, arguing that public disregard for fasting offends religious sensibilities, others expressed concern over civil liberties and freedom of religion, especially in a plural society.

This is not the first time the Hisbah Board has taken such action. The agency has a history of enforcing Ramadan-related regulations, including the closure of eateries during fasting hours and warnings against public consumption of food by Muslims.

Kano State operates an Islamic legal system alongside conventional law, and the Hisbah Board plays a central role in religious and moral enforcement, particularly during Ramadan.


Background: Hisbah and Ramadan Enforcement in Kano

The Kano State Hisbah Board is a government-backed moral enforcement body established to promote Islamic ethics and social order. Its activities typically intensify during Ramadan, a period regarded by Muslims as sacred and spiritually significant.

Over the years, Hisbah’s actions—ranging from arrests for public eating to crackdowns on alcohol and “immoral conduct”—have sparked recurring debates about human rights, religious tolerance, and the limits of state-backed moral policing.

Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano

Continue Reading

metro

Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North

Published

on

Ondo State Police Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Abayomi
Ondo State Police Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Abayomi

Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North

Oba Kehinde Falodun, the traditional ruler of Agamọ Community in Akure North Local Government Area, has been killed following a violent bandit attack on his palace, escalating concerns over rising insecurity in Ondo State.

According to community and security sources, the incident occurred on Wednesday evening when armed men invaded the monarch’s residence in what was described as an attempted kidnapping. Residents said the attackers operated in numbers, causing panic within the community and surrounding villages.

The traditional ruler was later found dead close to the palace, prompting immediate intervention by security agencies. The Ondo State Police Command confirmed the incident and said a full investigation had commenced.

Police spokesperson Abayomi Jimoh said operatives were swiftly deployed to the area, with tactical teams working alongside local security outfits to track the suspects. He added that surveillance and patrols have been intensified to prevent further attacks and restore calm.

Security operatives from the police, local hunters, vigilantes, and Ondo State Security Network Agency (Amotekun) were involved in combing nearby bushes and forest corridors believed to serve as escape routes for criminal gangs.

READ ALSO:

The killing has triggered widespread condemnation from residents and traditional leaders, who described the attack as a grave threat to grassroots leadership and a sign of worsening rural insecurity.

The incident comes amid a spate of violent crimes in Akure North, including recent abductions and armed raids that have unsettled communities and disrupted farming and trading activities. Residents are now calling for sustained military-style operations, improved intelligence gathering, and a stronger security presence in forest-bordering settlements.


Why Akure North Is Under Threat

Akure North Local Government Area, which surrounds the Ondo State capital, is largely rural and dotted with thick forests, farmlands, and isolated communities. These geographic features have increasingly been exploited by bandits and kidnappers, who use forest routes to launch attacks and evade arrest.

In recent months, Akure North has recorded:

  • Kidnappings for ransom, including the abduction of residents from farming communities
  • Attacks on villages near forest boundaries
  • Arrests of suspected bandits following joint operations by security agencies

Despite periodic arrests, residents say criminal groups often regroup and return, raising concerns about porous security coverage and the need for long-term security infrastructure, including permanent patrol bases and aerial surveillance.

The killing of a sitting monarch has intensified calls for federal intervention, as community leaders warn that continued attacks could undermine local governance, traditional institutions, and economic activities in the area.

Ondo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North

Continue Reading

metro

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

Published

on

Dibu Ojerinde, former Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB)

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned the trial of former JAMB Registrar Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, his children, and several corporate entities on charges of official corruption and abuse of office until April 30, 2026.

The matter was before Justice Mohammed Umar, but proceedings could not take place due to the judge’s absence on another official assignment. Consequently, the case was rescheduled for later in April.

Prof. Ojerinde, who previously served as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), is being prosecuted alongside four of his children — Mary Ojerinde, Olumide Ojerinde, Adebayo Ojerinde, and Oluwaseun Ojerinde — as well as six companies linked to him.

READ ALSO:

The companies named as co‑defendants in the case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, are: Doyin Ogbohi Petroleum Limited, Cheng Marbles Limited, Sapati International Schools Limited, Trillium Learning Centre Limited, Standout Institutes Limited, and Esli Perfect Security Printers Limited.

The charges were filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and relate to alleged corruption and abuse of office during Prof. Ojerinde’s tenure as JAMB Registrar.

In addition to the current corruption trial, Ojerinde is facing a separate 18‑count charge alleging the diversion of funds during his time as Registrar of the National Examinations Council (NECO) and later at JAMB. That matter is before a sister Federal High Court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, and is scheduled to resume on March 25, 2026.

Legal experts say the multiplicity of charges reflects increased enforcement efforts by anti‑corruption agencies against high‑profile public officials accused of financial misconduct. Ojerinde’s legal team had sought additional time to prepare their defence, a request accommodated by the court’s adjournment.

The adjournment comes amid heightened public interest in accountability within Nigeria’s public institutions, particularly concerning the management of examination bodies and the oversight of funds in federally funded agencies.

Observers note that the outcome of the Ojerinde trials could set an important precedent for prosecuting alleged financial crimes by senior public servants, especially where family members and associated businesses are implicated.

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending