International
New fast-growing fire ignites near Los Angeles
New fast-growing fire ignites near Los Angeles
A new fast-moving wildfire has erupted in Los Angeles County, prompting tens of thousands to evacuate a region already reeling from the most destructive fires in its history.
The Hughes fire ignited about 45 miles north-west of the city of Los Angeles on Wednesday morning, near Castaic Lake in a mountainous area that borders several residential areas and schools.
The blaze grew to more than 9,200 acres in several hours on Wednesday, fuelled by winds and dry brush. No homes or businesses have been damaged, and fire officials expressed confidence about getting the blaze under control.
The new fire is located north of the two mammoth blazes – which are still burning – that destroyed multiple neighbourhoods in the Los Angeles area earlier this month.
Local news showed residents near the Hughes fire hosing down their homes and gardens with water and others rushing to evacuate neighbourhoods.
Orange flames lined the mountains as aircraft dropped water and flame retardant.
The region is once again under a red flag warning, which cautions of a high fire risk due to strong winds and dry, low-humid conditions.
Winds in the area were blowing around 20 to 30mph (32 to 48km), but could pick up, which would fan the blaze and make it harder for air crews to operate.
About 31,000 people in the area are under a mandatory evacuation order and another 23,000 have been warned they may have to flee, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna said. A jail in the area was evacuating nearly 500 inmates at the facility, he added.
The fire continued to grow as the sun set, but Los Angeles County Fire Chief Anthony Marrone said he believed crews were making progress.
“The situation remains dynamic, and the fire remains a difficult fire to contain, although we are getting the upper hand,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Trump to Putin: Make Ukraine deal now or face tougher sanctions
- Real Madrid top annual money football league clubs
- Trump orders raids on churches, schools, hospitals for illegal immigrants
Chief Marrone explained how different this fire is compared to the Palisades and Eaton fires, which killed at least 28 people and decimated more than 10,000 homes and businesses earlier this month.
He said it was a mix of lower winds – unlike the 70 to 90mph winds seen during the previous fires – and having so many helicopters and planes able to fight the blaze from above.
“I think that we’ve all been on edge over the last 16 days,” he said. “We were able to amass a lot of fire resources early on to change what this fire looks like.”
Ed Fletcher, who works for Cal Fire – California’s statewide fire agency – told the BBC that this fire was different than those earlier this month. The winds are not as strong yet, he said, and there are a lot of crews trying to tame the flames.
“It’s super dry and we know it will be increasingly windy later,” he said. “We’ll know more in a few hours.”
Mr Fletcher noted the area is not highly populated and current winds are blowing the fire toward Castaic Lake, which is acting as a buffer between the Castaic area – home to about 20,000 residents.
“If it jumps the lake,” he said, “it becomes a much more dynamic situation.”
One woman who evacuated her home told NBC 4 that she was stuck on Interstate 5, California’s primary transportation highway that runs through the state. Parts of the interstate in the area had been closed due to the fire.
“It looked like a cloud, but as you got close, it looked like we were driving into hell,” she said of the dark smoke and red flames she saw. “It was pretty terrifying to be honest with you.”
She acknowledged being on edge after watching the Palisades and Eaton fires burn nearby.
“I don’t know why they keep popping up,” she said. “It’s definitely a scary time in this area.”
Two other fires ignited Wednesday farther south near San Diego and Oceanside, officials said.
They are both smaller – 85 acres for the Lilac fire near Oceanside and 3.9 acres for the Center fire – but were burning in populated areas. Fire crews appeared to have a handle on both of the blazes and evacuation orders had been mostly lifted.
Dana Dierkes, a spokesperson for the Angeles National Forest, noted the winds and dry brush have made these recent fires much harder to fight.
“We don’t have a fire season in California. We have a fire year,” she said. “We’ve had wildfires in January before, but it’s exacerbated by the Santa Ana winds. The wind is a huge factor when we’ve had such a dry year.”
Rain is in the weekend forecast in the region, a welcome bit of news to douse the fire threat. But the rainfall is bringing new fears in the form of mudslides, flooding and landslides.
Areas touched by the recent fires are particularly at risk because torched grounds aren’t as absorbent.
Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order on Monday to help free up resources for flood and landslide preparation after the fires.
New fast-growing fire ignites near Los Angeles
BBC
![]()
International
Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured
Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured
Spanish authorities have arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of killing his parents and injuring four other people, including two babies, during a deadly mass shooting in the southern Spanish town of El Ejido near Almería.
According to the Guardia Civil, the shooting occurred shortly after 11:00 p.m. local time on Monday in the El Canalillo area of El Ejido, a municipality located in the Andalusia region of southern Spain.
Police confirmed that two people died in the attack, while four others sustained serious injuries and were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment.
Spanish media reports identified the deceased victims as the suspect’s parents, who were allegedly found inside a vehicle riddled with bullets near the scene of the attack.
Among those injured were two young children, including a seven-month-old baby believed to be the suspect’s son, according to local reports. An 18-month-old child was also seriously injured during the shooting.
READ ALSO:
- BREAKING: Kwara APC Race Heats Up as Governor AbdulRazaq Endorses Seriki
- Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
- MUSWEN Demands Immediate Action Over Oyo School Abductions
Authorities further confirmed that a 60-year-old man was among those wounded in the incident, though officials have not yet publicly disclosed the identities of all victims.
Following the shooting, the suspect reportedly fled the area, triggering a police manhunt involving heavily armed security operatives and emergency response teams. However, Spanish news agency Europa Press later reported that the suspect eventually surrendered himself at a local police station.
The Guardia Civil said investigations are ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack, including whether domestic disputes, mental health issues, or other personal factors may have contributed to the shooting.
Spanish investigators are also examining how the suspect obtained the firearm used in the attack, amid reports suggesting he may not have possessed a valid firearms licence.
Emergency medical personnel and specialized police units were deployed immediately after authorities received multiple reports of gunfire late Monday night.
The incident has shocked residents across the Andalusia region and reignited concerns over gun violence, although mass shootings remain relatively rare in Spain due to strict firearm regulations and comparatively low gun-crime rates.
According to Project Insight, a European gun violence monitoring initiative, only four mass shootings were recorded in Spain between 2000 and 2023.
Local authorities in El Ejido expressed condolences to the affected families and pledged full cooperation with investigators as the case continues to unfold.
Meanwhile, officials urged the public to avoid speculation while police complete forensic examinations and gather witness statements connected to the deadly attack.
Spain Mass Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Babies Seriously Injured
![]()
International
Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
A fast-moving Simi Valley wildfire has forced authorities to expand evacuation warnings across communities along the Ventura County and Los Angeles County border as firefighters battle intense flames threatening homes, schools, and critical infrastructure across Southern California.
The blaze, identified as the Sandy fire, erupted on Monday morning in Ventura County and rapidly spread through dry vegetation fueled by strong winds and hot weather conditions. By Monday evening, the fire had scorched approximately 1,364 acres and remained at 0 per cent containment, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire).
Officials confirmed that at least one home and another structure were destroyed as the wildfire intensified, raising fears of further damage if weather conditions worsen.
Evacuation warnings and mandatory evacuation orders were expanded across large parts of southern Simi Valley and surrounding county-line communities, including areas near Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Hidden Hills, Chatsworth, West Hills, Lake Manor, and northern Thousand Oaks.
According to Ventura County officials, more than 28,600 residents were under evacuation orders or warnings as emergency crews worked to prevent the fire from spreading deeper into populated areas.
READ ALSO:
- MUSWEN Demands Immediate Action Over Oyo School Abductions
- Hisbah Arrests Man Found Inside “Ghana Must-Go” Bag in Married Woman’s House
- Understanding Ahmad Gumi Controversy and Nigeria’s Security Power Structure
Authorities urged residents in affected communities to remain prepared to evacuate immediately, especially elderly individuals, families with children, and residents requiring additional time to relocate safely.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass confirmed that although the wildfire was burning in Ventura County, the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) had deployed significant resources to support containment efforts and protect nearby Los Angeles communities.
“While the Sandy Fire is in Ventura County, the Los Angeles Fire Department continues to closely monitor the situation and has deployed resources on the ground — including strike teams, a hand crew, and helicopters — to assist local crews in firefighting efforts,” Bass said in a statement.
She added that the city had strategically positioned firefighting resources throughout the San Fernando Valley to respond rapidly if the fire advanced toward Los Angeles neighborhoods.
Fire officials confirmed that more than 500 firefighters, along with helicopters, bulldozers, hand crews, water tenders, and strike teams, had been mobilized as part of ongoing containment operations.
The wildfire also triggered growing air quality concerns across Ventura County and parts of Los Angeles County as thick smoke drifted into nearby communities.
Jamie Stewart, spokesperson for the fire department, warned that shifting winds were carrying smoke into the Los Angeles region, potentially affecting vulnerable residents.
“Winds are carrying smoke from the Sandy fire into Los Angeles, and air quality may be impacted,” Stewart said. “If you are sensitive to smoke or have respiratory conditions, stay indoors, keep windows closed, and limit outdoor activity.”
In a separate but related development, another wildfire known as the Burro fire broke out Monday near Burro Peak in the Angeles National Forest. The U.S. Forest Service reported that the fire had burned approximately 30 acres by Monday night and was about 20 per cent contained, with officials describing its spread as moderate.
The fires have also disrupted education across the region. Officials with the Simi Valley Unified School District confirmed that at least seven schools were directly impacted after falling within evacuation zones, forcing temporary closures and emergency safety measures.
California authorities have repeatedly warned that dry vegetation, rising temperatures, and gusty winds are increasing wildfire risks across Southern California as the state enters another potentially dangerous fire season.
Emergency management agencies continue to monitor weather conditions closely as firefighters work around the clock to prevent additional destruction and protect threatened communities.
Simi Valley Fire Burns 1,364 Acres as Wildfire Triggers Evacuations Near Los Angeles
![]()
International
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
Three people were killed after two teenage gunmen stormed the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, United States, in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime targeting Muslims.
The deadly San Diego mosque shooting, which happened on Monday at the Clairemont-area mosque, also left the two suspects dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to police.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed that officers responding to reports of an active shooter found three adult male victims dead inside the mosque complex.
One of those killed was identified as a mosque security guard who officials said played a heroic role in preventing the attack from becoming even more devastating.
“One of the deceased is a security guard that works there and I think played a pivotal role in assisting from this being much worse,” Wahl said during a press briefing.
Authorities said the two suspects, aged 17 and 19, were later discovered dead inside a vehicle several blocks away from the mosque after allegedly taking their own lives.
Investigators revealed that one of the suspects had reportedly taken firearms from a parent’s home before carrying out the attack.
Police also disclosed that the teenager’s mother had earlier alerted authorities that her son was missing, suicidal and possibly armed, sparking concern before the shooting unfolded.
The investigation intensified after detectives reportedly recovered anti-Muslim writings and hate-related messages from weapons and materials linked to the suspects.
“We are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Police Chief Wahl stated.
READ ALSO:
- NDC Confirms Peter Obi As Only Presidential Aspirant After Deadline
- “Atiku Can’t Win Election” — Amaechi Rules Out Stepping Down
- El-Rufai Denies Wrongdoing As DSS Presents TV Interview In Court
The Islamic Center of San Diego, regarded as the largest mosque in the city, also houses Islamic schools attended by Muslim children.
Witnesses described terrifying scenes as gunfire erupted during activities around midday prayers, forcing worshippers and students to seek cover while heavily armed police officers flooded the area.
A nine-year-old student who survived the attack told reporters he hid inside a closet with classmates as the shooting continued outside.
Police said officers arrived at the scene within four minutes of receiving the first emergency call at about 11:43 a.m. local time.
More than 50 officers later conducted an extensive search of the mosque and surrounding buildings as part of the emergency response.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) confirmed that federal agents, evidence response teams and victim specialists had joined the investigation.
FBI Director Kash Patel said federal authorities would provide all necessary resources to support the probe into the deadly attack.
Imam and Director of the mosque, Taha Hassane, condemned the shooting and described the attack on a place of worship as heartbreaking.
“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” Hassane said while thanking emergency responders and community leaders for their support.
Authorities confirmed that all children, teachers and staff members linked to the mosque’s schools were safely evacuated.
Following the shooting, police departments in cities including New York, Los Angeles and Washington increased security patrols around mosques and other places of worship.
United States President Donald Trump and California Governor Gavin Newsom were also briefed on the incident.
Trump described the attack as “a terrible situation” and said federal authorities were closely monitoring developments.
Meanwhile, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the violence and warned about rising cases of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim discrimination across the United States.
Investigators said the motive behind the California mosque shooting remains under active investigation as authorities continue reviewing surveillance footage, weapons evidence and the suspects’ online activities.
Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
![]()
-
metro3 days agoAbducted Oyo School Principal Begs FG For Rescue In Viral Video
-
metro2 days agoKidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded As Makinde Confirms Arrest Of Six Suspects
-
News3 days agoAFIDMURG Trains Over 150 African Researchers On Infectious Disease Systematic Review
-
Entertainment2 days agoSandra Okunzuwa Reveals Movie Kiss Scene Ended Her Relationship
-
metro2 days agoBREAKING: Several Injured as Car Crashes Into Tricycles in Lagos
-
metro3 days agoLexus Driver Crushes Policeman To Death On Third Mainland Bridge
-
Education2 days ago‘HNO Must Go’ — WAEC Workers Declare After 9-Hour Talks End in Deadlock
-
International1 day agoThree Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide
