metro
Lagos assembly warns Obasa after insisting being speaker
Lagos assembly warns Obasa after insisting being speaker
Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly yesterday cautioned impeached Speaker Mudashiru Obasa against heating up the polity with his claim to a seat from which he was removed by majority lawmakers.
Obasa, had denied allegations of corruption leveled against him, describing them as baseless and politically motivated.
A statement by the House signed by the lawmaker representing Oshodi State Constituency I, Ogundipe Olukayode, said the majority of the members stand by the decision of January 13, when they impeached Obasa and elected Mrs. Mojisola Lasbat Meranda as a replacement.
According to Ogundipe, the same majority that elected Obasa as Speaker of the 10th Assembly last year removed him on January 13.
The statement reads: “It is imperative to clarify that over 2/3 of the members of the Lagos State House of Assembly are solidly united behind the new Speaker, Rt Hon Mojisola Lasbat Meranda, therefore we stood by the decision taken on the 13th of January where Rt Hon Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa was impeached and we shall defend our positions to the latter.
“As elected representatives of the people of Lagos, we owe them good governance and harmonious relationship with other arms of government.
“The position of the House remains the same and nothing has changed. The position being canvassed by former Speaker, Rt Hon Obasa is uncalled for and unparliamentary.
“The majority of members elected Rt. Hon Mudashiru Obasa as the Speaker for the 10th Assembly and we also at the said Plenary took the majority decision to remove him and stand by the new Speaker so, nothing has changed.
READ ALSO:
- Yoruba nation agitators, MURIC differ over Sharia panel in S’West
- More ‘Yahoo’ people in govt than outside – Obi
- Bandits reportedly abduct 22 in attacks on Kaduna communities
“All members were elected from their various constituencies across the state and we all have the inalienable rights under the necessary Statutory orders to remove their Principal officers, including the Speaker.
“I, therefore, appeal to the former Speaker to toe the line of peace and harmony as being followed by others, as the current intransigent posture will heat up the polity and not augur well.
“Any attempt to heat the polity will be resisted by the majority of distinguished members who unanimously elected Rt Hon Meranda. Peace we want in Lagos and Peace we will achieve.”
Speaking on Saturday at a welcome event held in his honor in Ikeja GRA, and attended by his supporters from Agege, Alimosho, and Kosofe local government areas, Obasa refuted allegations of financial mismanagement, including claims that he spent ₦16 billion to construct a gate for the Assembly.
The former Speaker also addressed accusations that the House purchased over 45 Hilux vehicles for lawmakers at an inflated cost of ₦47 billion.
He refuted the claim, stating that if divided, it would imply that each vehicle was worth ₦1 billion, which he deemed unrealistic.
Obasa insisted that the allegations were attempts to discredit his leadership and integrity, emphasizing his long-standing commitment to legislative duties and service to Lagos State.
READ ALSO:
- Boko Haram attacks Borno military base, kills army commander, other soldiers
- Controversy over reported killing of Ogun old woman that transformed from bird
- Arsenal in narrow victory over Wolves with each side seeing red
“Is it possible to construct an ordinary gate with N16 billion? It is not the wall of Jericho or the wall that demarcated the United States of America and Mexico.
“How can they say we bought one Hilux bus for N1 billion each and 40 pieces for N40 billion? Talking about Thanksgiving, they should compare the one they said we spent N200 million on and the one organized by the state government.
“I am not disturbed or perturbed, and I am not afraid. I will debunk all the allegations leveled against me by the House.
“I have not done anything wrong. I have been a lawmaker for over two decades, and I am the longest-serving lawmaker in the House,” he said.
“For me, I am not disturbed, perturbed, or afraid. I will address these allegations head-on and prove my innocence,” he asserted.
Reacting to his reported removal, Obasa clarified that there was no impeachment process in the Assembly but a removal attempt that did not follow due legislative procedures.
“I am not afraid of being removed. After all, it is not my father’s chieftaincy title. I am representing my people, and they have returned me six times. If you want to do anything, do it well.
“They did the removal all because I was out of the country. Lagos is a special place; we cannot denigrate the state.’’
Lagos assembly warns Obasa after insisting being speaker
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
-
metro3 days agoFrom Pulpit to Ifá Shrine: Ex-Pastor Exposes ‘Deceit’ in Christianity, Embraces Yoruba Tradition
