JAMB extends UTME, DE registration by two weeks - Newstrends
Connect with us

Education

JAMB extends UTME, DE registration by two weeks

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has extended the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and the Direct Entry registration by two weeks.
The board also extended the dates for the mock exam preceding the UTME and exam proper, indicating that the examination date had been shifted from June 19 to July 3.
JAMB’S Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, announced the extension at a press conference on Saturday in Abuja.
He said the decision was the outcome of a two-day stakeholders’ meeting the board had in Abuja.
He said the stakeholders recommended that the two-week extension to accommodate candidates who had not been able to register as a result of some challenges associated with the National Identification Number and others.
He said a total of 1,134,424 candidates had so far registered for the exam.
Oloyede had ahead of the stakeholders’ meeting hinted about the extension, noting that although 50 per cent of candidates had already registered without problem, there was a need to carry everyone along.
He had said, “The possibility of shifting the exam forward is still high; but that will be determined after our meeting with stakeholders.
“This is because about 600,000 candidates who have indicated interest in the exam are yet to register. There is a need to give everyone the opportunity.”
He apologised for the new initiatives introduced in the 2021 UTME, saying that it was not to punish candidates but to expose candidates in the habit of indulging in various forms of malpractices.
He added that candidates were expected to provide two pictures on the candidate slip, picture of the person who registered at the JAMB office, and a picture of the owner of the name who registered with NIN.
Oloyede said the candidates should take note of the process, stressing that the essence was to detect any disparity in the process.

Education

BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike

Published

on

Taraba State University

BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Taraba State University (TSU) branch, has resumed an indefinite strike, citing the failure of the Taraba State Government to honour agreements reached earlier with the union.

The industrial action comes weeks after ASUU suspended its earlier strike following negotiations held on January 17, 2025, a move the union said was done in good faith to allow the government time to meet its commitments. According to ASUU, those promises were not fulfilled, forcing lecturers to withdraw their services again.

In a statement issued in Jalingo, the ASUU TSU branch chairman, Joshua Garba Mbave, said the government failed to take practical and verifiable steps toward resolving the lingering issues affecting staff welfare.

READ ALSO:

The union said its congress meeting held on February 18, 2026, reviewed developments since the suspension of the strike and unanimously agreed to resume the total, comprehensive, and indefinite strike.

ASUU listed several unresolved demands, including unpaid salary arrears, non-payment of Earned Academic Allowances, the absence of a functional pension scheme for university workers, and the failure to implement the 2025 ASUU–Federal Government agreement applicable to state-owned universities.

Dr. Mbave warned that the continued neglect of these issues has crippled staff morale, worsened economic hardship for lecturers, and disrupted academic stability at Taraba State University. He stressed that sustained dialogue with the Taraba State Government had produced no concrete outcome.

As a result of the renewed strike, academic activities at Taraba State University have been suspended indefinitely, with students advised to remain at home until further notice.

BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike

Continue Reading

Education

Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students

Published

on

UNILORIN

Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students

The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) has released a new list of students eligible to apply for the 2024/2025 NELFUND refund, according to the UNILORIN Students’ Union (SU). Students who paid school fees before NELFUND disbursed funds directly to the university are now required to check their names and submit refund requests through the proper channels.

The official refund eligibility list has been shared in an Excel spreadsheet format and contains verified student details, including full name, matriculation number, department, and eligibility status. Students can search the file using their name or matric number to confirm their eligibility.

Those whose names appear on the list are instructed to fill the official refund form and submit supporting documents, including fee receipts and bank account details, to the Student Affairs Unit (SAU) or their respective Dean’s Office. The refund disbursement is gradual and ongoing, depending on NELFUND fund release schedules.

READ ALSO:

For students whose names are not on the current list, they are advised to check their NELFUND portal status at portal.nelf.gov.ng and ensure all records are correctly verified. UNILORIN and the Students’ Union have also clarified that this is not the final list, as additional batches of eligible students may be added as verification continues.

Students are urged to act promptly, as following the prescribed procedures will ensure timely refund of fees paid in advance.

How to Check Your Eligibility

Students can confirm their eligibility by viewing the official list published by the university. To streamline verification, a table of students in the Department of Accounting and select departments is presented below.

S/N Matric Number Student Name Programme Level Department
1 20/66MA093 Johnson Babatunde Ogunwunmiju B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
2 21/66MA002 Zainab Oreoluwa Abdulrahmon B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
3 21/66MA021 Shukurat Oluwapelumi Adetunji B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
4 21/66MA038 Josephine Oluwateniola Akoki B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
5 21/66MA049 Vivian Member Aun B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
6 21/66MA054 Yusuf Olamilekan Babatunde B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
7 21/66MA065 Precious John Elijah B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
8 21/66MA083 Mariam Omowunmi Issa B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
9 21/66MA088 Toyosi Kolade B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting
10 21/66MA091 Ayanfe Olaoluwa Makanjuola B.Sc. Accounting 400 Accounting

Note: The above table shows a partial list for illustration. The full list includes hundreds of students across various faculties and levels.

UNILORIN NELFUND Refund List 2025/2026

Nelfund 25_26 Update II

Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students

Continue Reading

Education

NELFUND Refutes UniAbuja Loan Diversion Claims

Published

on

NELFUND

NELFUND Refutes UniAbuja Loan Diversion Claims

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has strongly refuted recent claims that officials of the University of Abuja (UniAbuja), including the vice‑chancellor and senior administrators, diverted or misappropriated student loan funds intended for indigent students.

In a detailed statement, NELFUND clarified that no verified evidence exists to support allegations that UniAbuja unlawfully withheld or diverted loan disbursements. The Fund said the speculation circulating in some media reports — which implicated the university’s vice‑chancellor, the Dean of Students’ Affairs, and other officials in the alleged diversion of multibillion‑naira funds — is unfounded and misleading.

The reports also suggested that UniAbuja failed to reimburse residual balances to students whose actual tuition fees were lower than the amounts disbursed by NELFUND on their behalf. In response, NELFUND maintained that its structured disbursement and reconciliation framework ensures that funds released for student loans are properly applied in line with its statutory mandate.

READ ALSO:

Mrs. Oseyemi Oluwatuyi, NELFUND’s Director of Strategic Communications, emphasised that the Fund’s operations are governed by formal verification, compliance, and reconciliation protocols. According to her, loan funds are released through established institutional channels, and strict accountability mechanisms are in place to safeguard both student and institutional interests.

The Fund acknowledged that discrepancies or timing issues sometimes arise in the process of crediting student or institutional accounts, but said these are typically resolved through direct engagement with the relevant institutions, in accordance with due administrative processes.

“Where concerns arise regarding timelines of crediting student accounts or institutional reconciliation processes, NELFUND engages directly with the relevant institution to clarify and resolve such matters administratively and in accordance with due process,” the statement read.

NELFUND reiterated its commitment to transparency, accountability, and rigorous audit procedures, which include reliance on verified documentation and formal reconciliation mechanisms when addressing any issue related to its student loan disbursements.

The Fund also reaffirmed its dedication to protecting the interests of eligible Nigerian students and ensuring that all disbursements are applied lawfully and effectively to support access to tertiary education.

NELFUND Refutes UniAbuja Loan Diversion Claims

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending