Defence Minister faults Wike’s handling of Naval land dispute - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Defence Minister faults Wike’s handling of Naval land dispute

Published

on

L-R, The Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike

Defence Minister faults Wike’s handling of Naval land dispute

The Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, has confirmed that the Ministry of Defence has launched a formal investigation into the reported land dispute between the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, and a naval officer, Lieutenant A. Yerima.

The incident, which reportedly occurred in Abuja on Tuesday, has sparked public debate on civil–military relations within the FCT.

According to reports, Lieutenant Yerima acted under the directive of former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Zubairu Gambo (retd.), during a disagreement involving the disputed property.

Speaking in an interview with DCL Hausa, Matawalle described the confrontation as “unnecessary and avoidable”, noting that it amounted to indirect disrespect to President Bola Tinubu, the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

“What happened between Minister Wike and the officer is unfortunate. The officer explained that he was obeying orders. Wike should not have exchanged words with him but rather channelled his concerns through the officer’s superior,” Matawalle said.

He explained that Wike had earlier contacted both the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Naval Staff, who advised him to allow the military to handle the issue internally before taking further action.

Matawalle disclosed that despite these assurances, the FCT Minister proceeded to the site, disregarding repeated advice to wait for an official inquiry.

READ ALSO:

“The Minister should understand that every officer has superiors. He was advised to wait for an investigation but chose to visit the site and confront the officer. As a leader, he ought to have exercised patience,” the minister stated.

Clarifying his stance, Matawalle stressed that his comments should not be misconstrued as defending military misconduct but as a reminder of the importance of discipline and respect for the chain of command.

“The officer acted lawfully and respectfully. He was trained to obey orders and did not commit any offence under military regulations,” he noted.
“Anyone who disrespects a soldier indirectly disrespects the President, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.”

The minister added that the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, has since visited the disputed site to begin a comprehensive investigation into the ownership and allocation of the land.

“Now that the Chief of Naval Staff has visited the area, the matter will be investigated to determine who holds the lawful documents. If the land has been revoked, there are established procedures to address it,” Matawalle said.

He revealed that although the Ministry of Defence had not received any formal complaint from Wike, he personally contacted the FCT Minister after the video of the confrontation went viral.

Meanwhile, Minister of Defence Mohammed Abubakar has reaffirmed that no officer performing lawful duties will face punishment over the incident.

“We will always protect officers and personnel on lawful duty. Any officer acting within the law will be protected,” Abubakar said.

Defence Minister faults Wike’s handling of Naval land dispute

metro

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

Published

on

commercial drone

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has reportedly acquired about 35 commercial drones, marking a dangerous escalation in insurgent tactics and raising fresh security concerns for Nigeria’s military operations in the north-east and north-west regions.

Security assessments indicate that the drones are largely First-Person View (FPV) quadcopters, a low-cost but highly effective technology increasingly used by non-state armed groups globally. Unlike conventional surveillance drones, FPV systems allow operators to guide drones in real time using video goggles, enabling precise navigation and target selection on the battlefield.

The reported acquisition comes months after air and drone strikes ordered by Donald Trump targeted insurgent positions in Sokoto State on Christmas Day 2025. Although those strikes were intended as a deterrent to militant groups operating along the Nigeria–Niger border, security analysts say insurgents have instead adapted by investing in mobile, hard-to-detect aerial platforms.

READ ALSO:

While insurgent groups in Nigeria have previously relied on drones mainly for intelligence gathering and surveillance, recent developments suggest ISWAP is preparing for offensive drone operations. Security experts warn that FPV drones can be modified to carry small explosive payloads and directed to detonate on impact, allowing militants to strike military assets, personnel, and defensive positions with greater accuracy.

Analysts say the use of such drones could enable repeated and sustained attacks on military formations rather than isolated raids. The availability of multiple drones also raises the risk of coordinated or swarm-style attacks, which could overwhelm troops and complicate traditional defensive measures.

Both ISWAP and Boko Haram have increasingly deployed drones alongside ground fighters during assaults on Forward Operating Bases and remote outposts, some of which have resulted in significant losses for government forces. Observers note that this tactical shift mirrors trends seen in the Ukraine war, where low-cost FPV drones have transformed modern combat by neutralising conventional military advantages.

Security commentators argue that Nigeria must urgently strengthen its counter-drone capabilities to maintain battlefield superiority. Recommended measures include greater investment in electronic warfare and signal-jamming systems, enhanced intelligence gathering, improved air-defence coverage for military bases, and expanded deployment of locally developed drone technologies.

Experts also stress the importance of tighter border controls and regional cooperation to disrupt the flow of drone components and technical expertise. They warn that failure to adapt quickly to the emerging drone-enabled insurgency could prolong insecurity across Nigeria’s conflict-affected regions and further strain military resources.

Insurgents Acquire 35 Drones as ISWAP Shifts to Aerial Attacks

Continue Reading

metro

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Published

on

An accident scene
File photo

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

– Brake Failure Suspected as Governor Orders Immediate Probe

Tragedy struck on Tuesday morning as seven persons lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in a multiple-vehicle crash at the busy Ota Toll Gate along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.

The fatal collision, which occurred during peak traffic hours, reportedly involved a fully loaded trailer suspected to have suffered brake failure before ramming into smaller vehicles, including a commercial tricycle and a mini-bus. Eyewitness accounts described scenes of panic as the out-of-control truck ploughed into vehicles waiting near the toll gate.

Emergency responders from the Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), and the Nigeria Police swiftly arrived at the scene to rescue victims and clear the wreckage.

The injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were deposited at a state mortuary.

“The truck was speeding and suddenly lost control. People were shouting and running for safety,” an eyewitness told reporters at the scene.

READ ALSO:

In a statement issued hours after the incident, Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, expressed deep sorrow over the loss of lives and ordered a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the crash. He condemned reckless driving and poor vehicle maintenance, particularly among heavy-duty truck operators.

“This avoidable tragedy underscores the urgent need for strict adherence to traffic regulations and proper vehicle maintenance,” the governor stated.

Motorists experienced heavy gridlock along the expressway as officials worked for several hours to restore normal traffic flow. Authorities have reiterated calls for drivers to exercise caution and ensure their vehicles are roadworthy before embarking on journeys.

The Lagos–Abeokuta corridor, especially around Sango–Ota, has witnessed repeated fatal accidents over the years, raising concerns among residents and commuters about road safety enforcement and infrastructure conditions.

Investigations into the exact cause of Tuesday’s crash are ongoing.

Seven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel
TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

A young woman identified as Mirabel has shared a harrowing account of a near-death experience following an alleged rape attack in her apartment in Lagos, triggering widespread outrage and calls for justice.

In a video posted on TikTok under the handle @mirab351, Mirabel said the incident occurred on Sunday morning after she opened her door, believing it was a neighbour. According to her account, she was overpowered and lost consciousness during the attack.

She later said she regained awareness to find an intruder assaulting her. The assailant allegedly left her injured before fleeing. Mirabel explained that she initially thought the bleeding she noticed afterward was menstrual, until she received disturbing messages from a man she identified as the suspect.

READ ALSO:

Screenshots shared by the victim show the suspect boasting about the attack and making threats intended to discourage her from seeking justice. The messages, which have circulated widely online, have drawn strong condemnation from the public.

In a follow-up video, Mirabel appeared visibly distressed and disclosed that she attempted to harm herself afterward but was rushed to hospital by a friend and survived. She thanked those who reached out in support and said she needed time to recover before engaging further.

The case has sparked an outpouring of sympathy from Nigerians across social media, with many demanding the immediate arrest and prosecution of the suspect and renewed action against sexual violence. Advocacy groups and citizens are urging law enforcement to ensure accountability and protect survivors.

Mirabel’s story has reignited conversations about women’s safety, survivor support, and the need for swift justice in Nigeria.

If you or someone you know is in danger or struggling after an assault, please seek immediate help from trusted people or local emergency services.

Lagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending