metro
Teacher, Church Choir Master Arrested for Murder of 16-Year-Old WAEC Candidate
Teacher, Church Choir Master Arrested for Murder of 16-Year-Old WAEC Candidate
A 30-year-old private school teacher and church choir master, Nathaniel Baiyegun, has been arrested by the Ogun State Police Command for the alleged kidnapping and murder of his 16-year-old former student, a West African Senior School Certificate Examination candidate identified as Florence . In a shocking confession obtained by Saturday PUNCH, Baiyegun admitted that after the teenager died, he collected a ransom of N500,000 from her father and spent almost all of it on online sports betting . He is now in police custody facing charges of kidnapping and murder, while the police continue their investigation into the tragic incident that has sent shockwaves through the Ogijo community in Sagamu Local Government Area .
The suspect, who taught Physics and Further Mathematics at a private school in Ogijo, Sagamu Local Government Area, and also served as the choir master of a Pentecostal church in the same community, was arrested following an investigation by the Anti-Kidnapping Section of the Ogun State Police Command . According to police sources, what initially appeared to be a missing person case quickly escalated into a kidnapping investigation and later a homicide case. The command’s image maker, CSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, confirmed the arrest and described the successful operation as a testament to the bravery and professionalism of the operatives involved .
According to Baiyegun’s confessional statement, he reconnected with the victim on April 7, 2026, while shooting content for his Instagram page in the community. The teenager had failed her O-Level examinations the previous year and was preparing to rewrite WASSCE. They exchanged contacts, and Baiyegun introduced her to his JAMB and WAEC coaching class, advising her to attend the coaching camp he was organizing for candidates. Baiyegun noted that he was not her direct teacher when she was in his former school, as she was in the humanities class while he taught only science students, but they became very close despite no amorous relationship between them .
READ ALSO:
- US Ends 60-Year Policy, Orders Nigerians, Others Home for Green Card Processing
- Iran Accuses US of ‘Excessive Demands’ as Tehran Weighs Fresh Peace Proposal
- Court Sentences Church Usher to Death for Murdering Girlfriend Over Mobile Phone
The turning point came when Baiyegun’s friend, identified simply as Sola, expressed interest in dating the teenager. On April 8, 2026, Baiyegun called the victim to come to his new school, where Sola was waiting behind the school premises. After Baiyegun left for his class, Sola allegedly demanded sex from the girl, which she declined, claiming she was on her menstrual period. When Baiyegun returned around 6:30 p.m., Sola had already left. The victim then requested transport fare to return home, but Baiyegun claimed he had no money on him, setting in motion a chain of events that would end in tragedy .
It was at this point, according to the suspect, that the pair planned a fake kidnapping together with the intention of extorting money from her family. “Both of us planned it together. The intention was to collect money from her family. She told me her father could not afford to pay ransom, but that she had a wealthy uncle who could pay. I initiated the kidnap,” Baiyegun reportedly told police. Instead of camping her in the school as she had suggested, Baiyegun took the teenager to an uncompleted building behind the school. Using her phone, he negotiated a ransom of N3 million from her father, communicating through her mobile device, a plan that would ultimately lead to her death .
The girl later complained that she could not sleep well on the first night because she was scared. Baiyegun then gave her four dosages of D5 sleeping tablets and left her there. He was away the following day attending his pastor’s father’s burial ceremony. He returned on the night of April 11, 2026. When he went to check on the girl, he discovered that she was gasping for breath. Instead of seeking medical help, the suspect quickly stopped a motorcycle and took her to a river in the MTN area of Ogijo, where he dumped her body. He lied to the bike rider that she was sick and that he was taking her to his aunt for treatment, a deception that allowed him to conceal his crime temporarily .
After the teenager had died and her body had been dumped, Baiyegun continued communicating with the victim’s father. The father eventually agreed to pay a ransom, sending N500,000 to the suspect. However, Baiyegun never informed the father that his daughter was already dead. “I lied to him that his daughter would be released as soon as the ransom was paid,” the suspect confessed. He then admitted, “I spent almost all the money on online sports betting, and I regret it now” – a chilling admission that has drawn widespread condemnation from members of the public and legal observers .
READ ALSO:
- Troops Sustain Rescue Operations for Ngoshe Abductees, Kill Several Terrorists
- Insider Betrayal: Farm Worker Arrested After Confessing He Initiated Boss’s Kidnap
- Wife Seeks Divorce, Says Husband Left Wedding Night for Political Meeting
Though Baiyegun claimed that the killing was accidental, preliminary police investigations revealed that he was allegedly involved in internet fraud and had at one time requested nude photographs from the deceased, which were reportedly sent to him through her mobile phone. Police sources also alleged that the suspect had attempted to force the teenager into a relationship with his friend before the kidnapping. These revelations have painted a darker picture of the suspect, who was expected to be a role model to his students and a respected figure in his church as a choir master .
In his confessional statement, Baiyegun provided more background about his relationship with the victim. “We became very close, but there was no amorous relationship between us. At times, she would go to my table in the staff room and drop gifts for me, even when I was not around,” he said. He claimed he had severed ties with her after an incident involving their former principal, where she asked him to lie on her behalf. “She lied to our then principal that she was coming to return my power bank to me after she was caught at a faraway location. It was true that I gave her my power bank, but she returned it to me at school. So, when she called me to tell me that I should help her lie to the principal that she had come to return my power bank when he saw her, I was very upset, and I severed my relationship with her,” he reportedly wrote in the statement .
CSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, the spokesperson for the Ogun State Police Command, while reacting to the incident on Friday, urged residents to be mindful of the company they keep. He commended the officers of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit for their successful operation leading to the arrest of the suspect and recovery of incriminating exhibits . “The successful operation carried out by the Anti-Kidnapping Unit, leading to the arrest of the notorious suspect and recovery of incriminating exhibits, underscores the bravery, professionalism, and unwavering dedication of the operatives,” Babaseyi said .
The command expressed appreciation for the continued support of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, towards tactical policing, intelligence-led operations, and the fight against kidnapping and other violent crimes. The command also acknowledged the strategic leadership of the Commissioner of Police, CP Lanre Ogunlowo, which has continued to yield remarkable security successes within Ogun State . “The Ogun State Police Command assures residents that sustained efforts are being intensified to dismantle all criminal syndicates operating within the state and its environs, while urging members of the public to continue supporting security agencies with timely and credible information,” Babaseyi added .
As the investigation continues, Baiyegun remains in police custody. The tragic death of the 16-year-old WAEC candidate has sent shockwaves through the Ogijo community, raising troubling questions about the safety of students and the trust placed in educators. The suspect, who was expected to be a shining light to his students and choristers, now faces the full weight of the law for the alleged kidnapping and murder of a young girl who once looked up to him as a mentor and guide. The case has also reignited conversations about the prevalence of online sports betting addiction among young Nigerians and its potentially devastating consequences when combined with criminal desperation.
Teacher, Church Choir Master Arrested for Murder of 16-Year-Old WAEC Candidate
![]()
metro
Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
In a move that has sparked excitement across the country, the Federal Government has made an official declaration that will see workers nationwide enjoy a well-deserved break from their daily routines. The announcement, which came through the Ministry of Interior on Friday, has sent waves of anticipation through offices and businesses as citizens begin making plans for the upcoming holiday.
The Federal Government has officially declared a public holiday to commemorate this year’s Eid ul Mawlid, which marks the birth of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). The declaration gives workers across the country a break and provides Muslim faithful an opportunity to observe the occasion with prayers, religious activities, and family gatherings. The declaration was made by the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Dr Magdalene Ajani. The announcement has been welcomed by Muslim communities across Nigeria, who are now preparing to mark the significant religious occasion with traditional observances and communal festivities.
READ ALSO:
- Ooni of Ife, Other South-West Monarchs, Sunday Igboho Unite for Historic Security Summit in Ekiti
- Tinubu FBI records: Agency seeks secret court filing over safety, investigative methods
- 2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket
In his goodwill message, Tunji-Ojo extended warm felicitations to Muslims in Nigeria and across the diaspora, while also urging all Nigerians, regardless of their religious affiliations, to use the occasion as an opportunity for introspection and moral renewal. He emphasised that the life and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad offer timeless lessons that transcend religious boundaries and speak to the universal values of humanity. The minister stated that every Eid ul Mawlid gives citizens reason to pause and draw lessons from a life defined by compassion, humility and service to others, adding that these are qualities the nation needs now more than ever. He encouraged every Nigerian, not just Muslim brothers and sisters, to reflect on them, underscoring the importance of embracing these virtues as a foundation for national transformation.
The minister stressed that the celebration period should serve as a time for collective prayer for peace, unity, and national cohesion, emphasising that the task of maintaining peace across the country requires the collective efforts of all citizens, irrespective of their ethnic or religious backgrounds. He called on citizens to observe the celebration with restraint, mutual respect, and consideration for one another, while wishing the Muslim community a joyous and peaceful Eid. Tunji-Ojo further noted that the occasion presents an opportunity for Nigerians to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood and foster a spirit of tolerance and understanding, which are essential for the nation’s progress and development.
Reaffirming the Tinubu administration’s commitment to safeguarding lives and property, the minister assured Nigerians that the government remains dedicated to ensuring peace and stability across the nation at all times. He encouraged citizens to support initiatives designed to promote national unity and peaceful coexistence among Nigerians of diverse religious and cultural backgrounds, noting that sustainable development can only thrive in an environment of peace and security.
Eid ul Mawlid, also known as Mawlid al-Nabi, is observed by Muslims in many parts of the world to honour the birth of Prophet Muhammad. In Nigeria, the occasion is usually marked with special prayers, religious gatherings, lectures, and charitable activities. The declaration means workers across the country will enjoy a day off from work on the designated day, giving many Nigerians an opportunity to rest, spend quality time with family, and participate in Eid ul Mawlid activities. Businesses, schools, and government offices are expected to remain closed on the holiday.
Just In: FG Announces Public Holiday – Here’s When Nigerians Will Get Break
![]()
metro
Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
Abuja Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Dutse, Abuja, has ordered the remand of a 52-year-old dry cleaner, Abdul Mohammed, who pleaded guilty to stealing expensive jewellery belonging to Senator Ireti Kingibe, the lawmaker representing the Federal Capital Territory in the National Assembly. The stolen items, which included gold bangles, necklaces, luxury wristwatches, and earrings, were allegedly sold by the suspect to two buyers for a total sum of N45.7 million.
Magistrate Abdullahi Ilelah gave the remand order on Friday following Mohammed’s guilty plea and adjourned the matter until September 21 for sentencing, allowing the court time to deliberate on the appropriate penalty for the offence .
The case has drawn significant attention due to the high-profile nature of the victim and the brazen breach of trust by a service provider who had been granted access to the senator’s residence. The prosecution told the court that Senator Kingibe, who resides in the upscale Zangon Daura Estate in Kado, Abuja, first reported the incident at the Criminal Investigation Department of the Nigeria Police Force on June 27 .
READ ALSO:
- Ooni of Ife, Other South-West Monarchs, Sunday Igboho Unite for Historic Security Summit in Ekiti
- Tinubu FBI records: Agency seeks secret court filing over safety, investigative methods
- 2027: Senator Saliu Mustapha quits APC after losing Kwara governorship ticket
According to the prosecution counsel, Adama Musa, the dry cleaner gained unlawful entry into the complainant’s private room, where he forcefully broke open her jewellery box and carted away an assortment of high-value items . The offence, which contravenes Section 289 of the Penal Code Law, carries prescribed punishment for theft and related property offences .
During police investigation, Mohammed reportedly confessed to the crime and disclosed that he did not act alone in disposing of the stolen assets . The defendant admitted to selling all the stolen jewellery to two buyers, identified as Suleiman Isah and Isah Yusuf, both residents of the Federal Capital Territory, for a total sum of N45.7 million . This confession formed a crucial part of the evidence linking him to the crime.
The prosecution urged the court to proceed with sentencing without further delay, citing Section 112(8) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, which empowers the court to act swiftly on guilty pleas in appropriate circumstances . The court is now expected to determine the legal consequences for the convicted dry cleaner when it reconvenes for sentencing on September 21 .
Dry Cleaner Pleads Guilty to Stealing Senator Ireti Kingibe’s Jewellery Worth N45.7 Million
![]()
metro
Ooni of Ife, Other South-West Monarchs, Sunday Igboho Unite for Historic Security Summit in Ekiti
-
Insurance3 days agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
metro3 days agoUS Court Grants Four-Day Extension for Release of Tinubu Drug-Trafficking Records
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
metro3 days agoPolice Nab 49-Year-Old With Pump-Action Rifle, 50 Ammunition Rounds In Anambra
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
