News
UPDATED: Custody drama as ex-Pension boss, Maina bags 8-year jail term for money laundering
…. armed security agents foil EFCC’s attempt to re-arrest him within the court premises
The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Monday, convicted and sentenced the former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team, PRTT, Mr Abdulrasheed Maina, to eight years in prison for money laundering.
The court, in the judgement that was delivered by Justice Okon Abang, found Maina guilty on all the 12-count charge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, preferred against him and his company, Common Input Property and Investment Limited.
It held that the anti-graft agency successfully established the essential ingredients of offences contained in the charge, beyond a reasonable doubt.
Justice Abang held that the sentence would run concurrently, with effect from October 25, 2019, which was the day the Defendants were arraigned.
He ordered Maina and his firm to forfeit about N2.1billion that was traced to their bank accounts, as well as another sum of $223, 396, 30, to the Federal Government, after which he directed that the company should be wound up.
The court held that the forfeited funds should be paid to FG within 90 days.
READ ALSO:
- 2 men arraigned over alleged forceful eviction of tenants
- 5G: Deployment won’t affect Nigerians’ health, NCC assures National Assembly
- Nigerian Air Force arrests sergeant over attack on NDA
- CIG Motors, UNILAG launch business school for workers
Besides, it ordered the forfeiture of Maina’s two choice properties at Life camp and Jabi districts of Abuja, to the government, likewise the auction of a bulletproof car and a BMW 5 Series exotic car that was found in premises of the convict.
Justice Abang stressed that though the law made provision for a maximum sentence of 14 years for the offence that was committed by the Defendants, he said he was moved by Maina’s plea for mercy.
Meanwhile, drama ensued shortly after the judgement, as plain-clothed officials of the EFCC, attempted to re-arrest the convicted former pension boss within the court premises.
The EFCC agents had immediately officials of the Nigerian Correctional Service, NCS, who were leading Maina out of the court, used both a Hilux and a White Hiace Bus, to block the vehicle that was meant to convey the convict to prison.
Their move to grab Maina was vehemently resisted by armed officials of the NCS.
After the clash that lasted over 30mins, the EFCC operatives backed out and allowed Maina to be taken away by officials from Kuje Correctional Center.
Though there is another criminal case pending against Maina before a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, it was however not clear why the EFCC wanted to take him into its custody.
Meantime, earlier in his judgement, Justice Abang held that EFCC successfully discharged the evidential burden that was placed on it by the law, noting that the Defendants failed to offer any concrete defence to the charge.
He held that the EFCC adduced sufficient evidence that was “unchallenged”.
Justice Abang said there was uncontroverted evidence that Maina had at a period that pension funds were stolen, paid in over N1.5million, N500m and N300m, into five bank accounts that were traced to him.
He said there was no explanation from the 1st Defendant about where the money, which was above his legitimate earnings, came from.
The trial judge held that Defendant, whose monthly salary was about N250, 000, could not have been able to save over an N2billion, within the 30 days period that the deposits were made.
“Judgement is hereby entered in favour of the Prosecution and the Defendant is accordingly convicted”, he held.
At this juncture, Maina’s lawyer, Mr Olusegun Jolawon, SAN, begged the court for leniency.
“I beg my lord to give the Defendant a second chance by not bringing down the full weight of the law. Defendant obviously made some mistakes and he is very remorseful about them. He is the breadwinner of both his nuclear and extended family.
“Moreover, there is documentary evidence that he is seriously sick. Nobody is immune to illness”, the defence lawyer added.
Likewise, Maina while addressing the court by himself, apologized for his past conduct.
He said: “My lord, I want to apologise for anything I may have done, with or without my intention. It was all adduced to me.
“I was never opportune to be in the witness box, if not, you would have heard a lot of things”, Maina stated, saying he has three different tumours in his body and would need to undergo a medical operation urgently.
After he had listened to the Allocutus (plea for mercy) by both Maina and his lawyer, Justice Abang said the facts of the case was “sordid, immoral and dirty”.
“Facts of this case portray the moral decadence of the society we live in. Having considered the monumental fraud, about how pensioners’ funds were stolen.
“It is a clear case that the convict is inhuman, heartless and had no compassion for the pensioners. Some of them have suffered, others have died while waiting to get their reward on earth.
“Whereas the convict was feeding fat from their sweat in faraway Dubai, buying properties, driving bulletproof cars that were beyond his legitimate earnings.
“Abnormal situation requires drastic action to send a message to those that believe in dishonesty, to have a rethink”, he added.
The court maintained that FG ought to have withdrawn the operating licenses of the two banks it noted connived with the convict to steal pension funds to the tune of over an N2.1billion.
EFCC had in the charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/256/2019, alleged that Maina used a bank account that was operated by his firm and laundered funds, part of which he used to acquire landed properties in Abuja.
It told the court that the 1st Defendant (Maina) used fictitious names to open and operate various bank accounts, as well as recruited his relatives that were bankers to operate fake bank accounts through which illicit funds were channelled.
The EFCC alleged that Maina induced staff of some banks to open accounts for him, without conducting the requisite due diligence to verify the identity of the beneficial owner.
The Prosecution maintained that Maina and his company, committed criminal offences, punishable under sections 11(2) (a), 15(3), and 16(2) (c) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, and also acted in breach of the Advance Fee Fraud Act.
Maina had midway into his trial, jumped bail and escaped from the country.
Though the court okayed his trial in absentia and issued a warrant of arrest against him, Maina, was subsequently re-arrested in the Niger Republic and returned back to the country on December 4, 2020.
EFCC closed its case against the Defendants after it called a total of nine witnesses.
In his defence, Maina, called a sole witness, even as the court, in a ruling on July 16, closed his defence after he failed to produce his second witness.
Subsequent application by the Defendants, to be allowed to re-open their defence, was rejected by the court which described it as an abuse of the judicial process.
The Defendants had applied for the court to compel about 15 persons to appear as his witnesses.
Maina insisted that evidence of the subpoenaed witnesses would be crucial to his defence of the charge.
The court had after he jumped bail, remanded his surety, Senator Ali Ndume, in prison custody.
It ordered Ndume who is representing Borno South Senatorial District, to either produce Defendant for the continuation of his trial or to forfeit his N500m bail bond.
Alternatively, it directed the sale of Ndume’s property situated at Asokoro in Abuja to raise the N500m it said should be paid into the Federation Account.
After he regained his freedom on November 27, 2020, following Maina’s re-arrest, Ndume, applied to withdraw from the case, a request that was rejected by the court.
It will be recalled that Justice Abang had in a judgement he delivered on October 7, also convicted and sentenced Maina’s son, Faisal, to 14 years imprisonment for money laundering.
Vanguard
News
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.) has earned international acclaim as its Group Chief Executive Officer, Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari, has been conferred with the Fellowship of the Energy Institute (FEI), United Kingdom — one of the highest honours in the global energy industry.
The Fellowship recognises senior energy leaders who have demonstrated sustained, high-impact contributions to the advancement of the energy sector. It was formally conferred on Ojulari during International Energy Week (IEW) in London, a leading platform for energy policy, finance, and industry leadership. (punchng.com)
The honour was presented by Andy Brown, President of the Energy Institute, who praised Ojulari’s transformative leadership of NNPC Ltd., highlighting his role in strengthening governance, embedding a performance-driven culture, and repositioning the company for long-term value creation.
Under his stewardship, NNPC Ltd. has implemented investor-focused reforms, enhanced operational excellence, and expanded strategic global partnerships, all contributing to increased confidence in Nigeria’s energy sector. The recognition reinforces NNPC’s ongoing transformation into a commercially driven, globally competitive, and transparent energy company.
READ ALSO:
- FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
- ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election
- Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
Significance for Nigeria and Africa
Experts note that the FEI Fellowship is not only a personal achievement for Ojulari but also a major institutional endorsement of NNPC Ltd.’s reform agenda. Being recognised at International Energy Week, which convenes policymakers, financiers, regulators, and industry leaders, positions the company at the centre of critical global energy discussions on sustainability, energy transition, and capital formation.
The award also signals growing international confidence in NNPC Ltd. and highlights Nigeria’s strategic role in Africa’s energy security and global energy transition ambitions. (vanguardngr.com)
Ojulari’s Leadership Achievements
Since assuming office, Engr. Ojulari has overseen multiple strategic reforms at NNPC Ltd., including:
- Driving governance and operational reforms to boost accountability.
- Expanding strategic partnerships and investor-focused initiatives.
- Enhancing execution efficiency across the company’s subsidiaries.
- Positioning NNPC Ltd. as a credible, investment-ready energy enterprise.
These efforts have not only improved the company’s profitability and performance but also strengthened Nigeria’s energy security and market competitiveness. (punchng.com)
Ojulari described the Fellowship as a reflection of collective effort within NNPC and reiterated his commitment to sustainable value creation, global best practices, and energy sector innovation.
NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London
News
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
The Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room has raised concerns over multiple irregularities in the ongoing Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council Elections, citing late polling unit openings, reports of vote buying, and logistical challenges that could affect voter participation.
According to the Situation Room, a coalition of over 70 civil society organisations advocating for credible elections in Nigeria, many polling units opened late, with an average start time of 9:15 a.m., well after the official 8:30 a.m. schedule. Observers also noted low voter turnout in several areas, particularly in AMAC, although queues began forming later in Kuje, Kwali, Gwagwalada, and Abaji Area Councils.
Vote Buying Observed
The coalition reported instances of vote buying, with voters allegedly offered up to ₦10,000 in exchange for ballots in units such as PU008, PU056, PU057, and PU058 in Gidan Mangoro Ward, AMAC. While some of the transactions were open, others were conducted discreetly.
The Situation Room warned that such electoral malpractice undermines the integrity of the election and called on electoral officials, political parties, and security agencies to intervene and prevent further incidents.
READ ALSO:
- ADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election
- Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
- Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
Logistical and Accessibility Issues
Observers noted that some voters struggled to locate their polling units after last-minute changes communicated by INEC via text messages. The Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) generally performed efficiently, with a one-minute average accreditation time, though malfunctions were reported in a few units including Gwako Town Primary Schools II & IV and PU143, Gwagwalada.
The Situation Room also highlighted accessibility challenges for voters with disabilities, noting that braille ballot guides, magnifying glasses, and other assistive materials were largely absent, even in designated disability communities such as Karimajiji and PU052, Wuse.
Security and Election Conduct
Security personnel, including officers from the Nigeria Police, Civil Defence, Immigration Service, and Fire Service, were present in significant numbers and generally maintained order and professionalism.
Isolated incidents of intimidation and harassment were reported in locations such as Grade 1 Area Court, Rubochi (Kuje); Naharati Sabo School II, Rimba/Ebagi; and PU3, UNG Liman/UNGWAR LIMAN 1, Abaji Central, but security agents swiftly resolved these situations.
Call for Calm and Integrity
The Situation Room commended the INEC FCT Help Desk for promptly addressing reported issues and called on all stakeholders to maintain calm, resist vote buying, and ensure that the will of the people is respected as the polls continue and results are collated.
The report was jointly signed by Mma Odi and Celestine Odo, co-conveners of the coalition.
FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges
News
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
United States President, Donald Trump, has introduced a sweeping immigration proposal that could halt the issuance and renewal of work permits for asylum seekers for many years, marking what analysts describe as one of the most consequential shifts in U.S. asylum employment policy in decades.
The proposed rule, released on Friday by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), seeks to suspend new employment authorisation for asylum applicants until the average processing time for designated asylum cases falls to 180 days or fewer.
According to DHS data, the asylum case backlog now exceeds 1.4 million applications, with the department projecting that meeting the 180-day benchmark could take between 14 and 173 years under current conditions—effectively creating an indefinite suspension of asylum work permits.
Despite the bleak projections, DHS said administrative restructuring, staffing increases, and efficiency-focused reforms could eventually reduce processing delays. However, officials acknowledged that significant improvements would take time.
READ ALSO:
- Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare
- Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage
- Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom
In a statement accompanying the proposal, DHS said the rule, if finalised, “would reduce incentives for frivolous, fraudulent, or otherwise meritless asylum claims.” The department stressed that work authorisation is not an entitlement, but a discretionary benefit granted by the DHS secretary.
If implemented, the policy would generally bar migrants who entered the United States unlawfully from receiving new work permits or renewing existing ones while their asylum claims remain pending.
Limited exemptions would apply only to individuals who alerted U.S. border officials within 48 hours of arrival that they feared persecution, torture, or faced another urgent humanitarian threat.
The proposal forms part of a broader immigration clampdown under President Trump, who returned to office in 2025 after campaigning on stricter border enforcement and tougher asylum standards.
Throughout his campaign and early months back in office, Trump portrayed immigrants and asylum seekers as economic and security burdens, claims that critics argue are not supported by crime or labour market data.
Immigrant advocacy groups, civil rights organisations, and some Democratic lawmakers have criticised the proposal, warning that denying work permits could push asylum seekers into poverty, increase dependence on charities, and drive people into undocumented employment.
Legal experts also expect significant court challenges, arguing that the rule could weaken long-standing U.S. and international asylum protections and undermine due-process guarantees.
The proposal will undergo a 60-day public comment period once it is formally published in the Federal Register on Monday. The regulatory process could extend for months or even years, with the final outcome uncertain amid anticipated legal battles.
Until then, existing regulations governing asylum seeker work permits in the United States remain in force.
Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International3 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro3 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
Politics3 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
-
Education8 hours agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
metro3 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North


