30,000 insurgents, families surrender in North East - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

30,000 insurgents, families surrender in North East

Published

on

Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha

Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha, in Kaduna, yesterday, said over 30,000 insurgents and their families have, so far, surrendered in the ongoing kinetic security measure in the North East.

Boss Mustapha’s keynote address was read by the Director, Special Service, Office of the SGF, David Attah, at a two-day stakeholders’ engagement on current security challenges in the North West geo-political zone – Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto and Zamfara.

He said the Federal Government is concerned with security challenges across the country and has been working assiduously to reduce them to the barest minimum quickly, adding that tackling insecurity is one of the three priority areas of the present administration.

Some of the measures, so far, taken to address the security challenges in the country include an increase in budgetary allocation, as well as shoring up the equipment holding of the military and other security agencies.

“Similarly, approval was granted for the recruitment of 10,000 police personnel for three consecutive years, while their salaries have been upwardly reviewed to boost their morale, enhance productivity and elicit hard work.

READ ALSO:

“It is, therefore, gratifying to note that the security situation has relatively improved across all parts of the country. The insurgents in the North East have been decimated considerably. Over 30,000 insurgents and their families have, so far, surrendered,” he said.

He enjoined the participating stakeholders drawn from the traditional institution, religious organisations, civil society, trade union, security personnel and other individuals and organisations whose contributions to national security have been noticed to be open to one another in their contributions within the engagement.

“With the recent dimensions of security challenges including, human/child trafficking, baby factory syndrome, ritual killings and the like, the sanctity of human life has been called to question.

“The perpetrators of the evil acts live among us and are our relatives. This highlights the need for the cooperation of the communities and the whole-of-society approach to tackle insecurity.

“This workshop is part of the non-kinetic approaches to sensitise the communities on the need to collaborate with government at all levels to tackle the menace of armed banditry and other related crimes in the North West geo-political zone,” he added.

To address the issue of confidentiality associated with sharing credible information to the security agents by the civilian populace, the AGF hinted that a platform was being established in six states, including Kaduna for sharing credible information among the stakeholders for enhanced security.

SUN

metro

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

The Kano State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all entertainment centres across the state as part of measures to ensure a peaceful and spiritually focused observance of Ramadan. The directive, issued by the Kano State Censorship Board, affects entertainment venues popularly known as gala houses, as well as disc jockey (DJ) operators and related entertainment outlets under the board’s regulatory jurisdiction.

Abdullahi Sulaiman, the board’s Public Relations Officer, announced that the closure will take effect from 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, and will remain in force throughout the holy month. He explained that the action aims to create a calm and morally conducive environment for Muslim residents to observe fasting, prayers, and other religious activities without distractions.

READ ALSO:

The board emphasised that reopening dates, particularly for Eid‑el‑Fitr celebrations, will be communicated at the appropriate time. Enforcement teams have been mobilised to ensure compliance, with sanctions for violations under the board’s regulatory mandate.

Officials clarified that the closure does not apply to event centres used for weddings, conferences, or political gatherings, which fall outside the board’s jurisdiction. Board director Usman Dankwano reiterated that only entertainment outlets such as gala houses are affected by the directive.

The government said the decision aligns with efforts to promote social harmony, maintain public order, and respect religious observances during Ramadan. Residents and business operators are urged to comply fully to avoid penalties.

The move reflects a broader pattern in northern Nigeria, where authorities adjust entertainment and public activities during Ramadan to respect cultural and religious practices while maintaining community peace.

Kano Closes Entertainment Centres Ahead of Ramadan

Continue Reading

metro

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Published

on

Asari Dokubo
Asari Dokubo

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Port Harcourt — Former Niger Delta militant leader and activist, Asari Dokubo, has cautioned Igbo residents and groups against any attempts to instigate a religious crisis in Rivers State, warning that such actions could destabilise the state.

In a video widely shared on social media, Dokubo urged individuals and organisations to refrain from acts capable of triggering violence, emphasising that Rivers State must not become a theatre of religious conflict. He reportedly warned of serious consequences for anyone attempting to foment unrest in the oil-rich region.

READ ALSO:

Known for his outspoken views on regional and political issues, Dokubo highlighted the importance of peace and stability in Rivers State, which is economically significant due to its oil and gas resources.

His comments have sparked mixed reactions. The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, dismissed claims that Igbo groups were planning any form of religious war, affirming that Igbo residents in Rivers State are law-abiding and committed to peaceful coexistence.

Security authorities in the state are reportedly monitoring the situation closely, amid concerns that inflammatory rhetoric could heighten tensions in a region with a diverse ethnic and religious composition.

Observers stress that dialogue, mutual respect, and proactive conflict prevention are crucial to maintain stability in Rivers State, particularly given its history of political and communal tensions.

As of the filing of this report, the Rivers State Government has not issued an official statement regarding Dokubo’s comments.

Asari Dokubo Warns Igbo Groups Against Sparking Religious Conflict in Rivers

Continue Reading

metro

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

Published

on

Bauch State Governor, Bala Mohammed
Bauch State Governor, Bala Mohammed

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

The Bauchi State Government has announced a reduction in working hours for civil servants during the holy month of Ramadan, aimed at accommodating fasting schedules and religious observances.

A statement issued by the State Head of Service, Dr. Yusuf Gidado, directed all civil service offices to adjust their working hours from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm throughout the month. The adjustment applies to both permanent and contract staff across all ministries, departments, and agencies.

Dr. Gidado urged civil servants to use the shortened working hours productively, maintain high performance, and continue delivering efficient public services to residents.

READ ALSO:

The government noted that the decision was part of its commitment to supporting employees during religious observances, ensuring they can fulfill both spiritual and professional duties without undue strain.

Officials also reminded staff to adhere to workplace regulations and maintain discipline despite the adjusted schedule, emphasizing that public service continuity remains a priority.

This move follows similar initiatives by other states in Nigeria that seek to balance work efficiency with religious observance during Ramadan.

Bauchi Reduces Working Hours for Civil Servants During Ramadan

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending