metro
Boko Haram massacre dozens of farmers in Borno, as hunters kill two terrorists, injured scores
Armed members of Boko Haram terrorists suspected to be ISWAP group last Sunday invaded farmlands on the outskirts of Kala Balge Local Government Area of Borno state and massacred over 50 farmers.
This is even as local hunters ambushed hideouts of terrorists in Wanori village of Konduga Local Government Area of the state and killed two terrorists, while several others sustained various degrees of injuries, after recovering 11 wheelbarrows used in looting foodstuff by the terrorists.
Kala Balge is a border town with the Cameroun Republic with a poor telecommunications network which delayed the Information on the latest massacre of farmers.
Sources said, the insurgents armed with sophisticated weapons sneaked into the farms and started killing farmers one after the other, but confirming the incident, member house of representative, Kala Balge, Bama and Ngala federal constituency, Hon Dr Zainab Gimba told Vanguard that the victims were mostly not farmers, but scavengers who went outside the community to fend for themselves before they were ambushed by the terrorists.
“Over 50 people were buried in Rann on Monday. As of this morning, more dead bodies have been found; the death toll is over 60 now.” Said a farmer, Ali Isa who escaped unhurt.
Recall that Boko Haram has increasingly targeted farmers, herders and loggers, accusing them of spying and passing information to the Nigerian military.
READ ALSO:
- EFCC Operatives Surround Okorocha’s House
- Drama As Namadi Sambo’s Son Asks Delegates To Return His Money After Losing PDP Ticket
- APC excludes super delegates from primaries, adjusts timetable again
They have also been raiding herding communities and stealing cattle, a valuable commodity in the region to fund their operations.
In 2020, the insurgents invaded a rice plantation in Zabarmari, a community in the Jere Local Government Area, killing at least 43 farmers.
When contacted for confirmation, the Police Commissioner, Abdu Umar told Vanguard that, he is yet to get details on the incident, even as he promised to furnish the press when he gets in touch with the Divisional Police Officer, DPO of Kala Balge.
But the member House of representative (Kala Balge, Bama and Ngala) federal Constituency, Hon Zainab Gimba had earlier confirmed the incident to our Correspondent in Maiduguri said, “My people who are mostly Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, went outside their camps to scavenge for what they will eat.
“There were about 40 of them, and in the process, some armed Boko Haram terrorists ambushed them, the terrorists selected 35 of their victims, tight their hands and legs and shot all of them dead, while the other five who were freed are old women and children”. Gimba lamented.
In a related development, resilient hunters led by their Chairman, Mai Kyari stormed Boko Haram hideouts in Wanori village of Konduga Council area and killed two terrorists, with injuring about 20 others, after recovering their wheelbarrows used for looting foodstuff and livestock.
It was gathered that the insurgents have been terrorizing the community for a long time by looting their fruits such as mangoes, cashew and cassava tubers.
READ ALSO:
- Russia intensifies Donbas offensive as war enters fourth month
- FG targets 1.4mbpd domestic refining before 2027
- Lagos explosion: Gas plant owner dies, lawyer insists on N800m compensation
But acting on intelligence, the leader of the hunters in Wanori, Mallam Kyari notified the overall Chairman of Hunters in Borno, Mai Gana Mai Durma, who gave them the matching order to confront the terrorists.
According to Kyari, he mobilized his men to the hideouts of the terrorists and engaged them in a fierce battle which led to the successes recorded against the terrorists.
“We received credible information on the hideouts of Boko Haram sect who have been terrorizing our community in recent times, they usually invade and loot foodstuff and livestock.
“I quickly mobilized my team to their hideouts and we overwhelmed them by killing two of them and recovered 11 wheel Barrows they normally use in looting our properties and farm produce”. Kyari stated.
Meanwhile, the immediate past Commissioner for Intergovernmental Affairs and Special Duties to Governor Babagana Zulum, Engineer Kabir Mohammed Wanori who hail from the village (Wanori) have since visited the community for solidarity to the hunters, where he gave out some token as support to boost their morale in the fight against Boko Haram.
VANGUARD
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
Politics2 days agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
