Sports
Odegbami Apologises To Pinnick, Rohr Over Controversial Interview
Nigerian football legend, Segun Odegbami, on Tuesday apologised to former president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, over a recent interview conducted on his radio station with ex-Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr.
Newsbreak.ng reports that the interview anchored by Osasu Obayiuwana has steered controversy following the leak of private exchanges.
In the interview on Odegbami’s Eagle7FM Sports Radio, Rohr criticised Pinnick for the Super Eagles’ failure to pick a ticket to the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
“Pinnick said my dismissal will avert a disaster, but in the end he created the disaster that cost Nigeria the ticket to the World Cup.
“I regret that I did not take my team to win the World Cup,” Rohr had said.
Following the interview, Odegbami said Pinnick reached out to him to express serious displeasure. The football adminstrator accused Obayiuwana of disparagement.
But “a totally private message” between Pinnick and Odegbami concerning the issue found its way to the public — a development Odegbami is not happy with.
READ ALSO:
Read Odegbami’s full post below:
It is a program produced and presented by my friend and super journalist, Osasu Obayiuwana.
He is fully responsible for the sports personalities he interviews on the show and the questions he asks them.
It is in that spirit that he interviewed Mr. Gernot Rohr, a former coach who is inconsequential in Nigerian football today, after 5 barren years without a Silverware to show, and most irrelevant now that he has been fired and is earning ‘free’ money for work not done.
After the Interview, last week, Pinnick Amaju reached out to me and expressed disapproval at the conduct of the interview a large part of which, he said, was skewed to disparage his person.
I assured him that was not the case even though I had no hand in the questions Osasu asked him. Osasu was the producer and presenter of the program.
I told him, of course, that Osasu is responsible for content of the interview and not me.
In a fit of anger he sent me a mail that was not flattering, to say the least. I understood his pain and forwarded the message to Osasu to let him know just how Amaju felt. How he was not happy.
It was a totally private message between Amaju and I, and I would never in a million years have taken that as his public reaction to the Interview. If I ever thought so, I would have published it myself and made a cheap point of it.
I discussed it with Osasu and I assumed the matter would die a natural death, only for me to see a publication today on social media quoting from the private and confidential message exchange between Amaju and I, that I forwarded to Osasu.
READ ALSO:
- 51 Boko Haram terrorists surrender in North East
- Osun tribunal: Statistician gives evidence on BVAS, as INEC sets to present Adeleke’s certificate
- PDP Crisis: If you are not corrupt, take me to court, Wike dares Ayu
- EFCC re-arraigns Kaduna State former governor for money laundering
Amaju is my friend despite our disagreements over Gernot Rohr and the man’s place in the story of Nigerian football. But I would never have used my own opinion to denigrate him in any way.
This publication on social media disclosing my private exchange with Amaju and accusing Gernot Rohr of some misconduct during his stay in Nigeria is totally uncalled for, and a betrayal of Amaju’s trust in my person. It is totally out of my character and I take full responsibility for abusing his confidence.
I use this opportunity to unreservedly publicly apologise to Amaju Pinnick for whatever ‘harm’ this must have done and may do to him. He does not deserve this treatment at all.
Eagle7 Sports Radio is not meant to fight vendettas, and this is smelling very much like one. I don’t use my position to take cheap shots at anyone.
I am truly sorry for betraying Amaju’s trust and hereby apologise for how our private exchange has now turned ‘lethal’.
Meanwhile, the content of that story is not a news item, and I fully understand, as a Nigerian, the context in which some words were expressed.
I also publicly apologise to Mr. Gernot Rohr for the embarrassing report.
Sports
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Arsenal surrendered a commanding two-goal advantage to settle for a damaging 2–2 draw against last-placed Wolverhampton Wanderers in a dramatic Premier League encounter at Molineux on Tuesday night.
The Gunners looked firmly in control early on, racing into a 2–0 lead and appearing set to claim all three points. However, a spirited second-half comeback from Wolves denied the title chasers victory and reignited questions over Arsenal’s consistency at a crucial stage of the season.
Arsenal struck first inside the opening minutes through Bukayo Saka, who capitalised on early pressure to put the visitors ahead. The lead was doubled shortly after the break when Piero Hincapié finished clinically following a set-piece situation, seemingly putting the game beyond the struggling hosts.
READ ALSO:
- Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
But Wolves responded almost immediately. Hugo Bueno reduced the deficit with a long-range effort that shifted momentum and lifted the home crowd. Arsenal, who dominated possession for large spells, failed to regain control as defensive lapses and dropped intensity invited pressure.
Deep into stoppage time, substitute Tom Edozie completed the comeback, firing home a dramatic 94th-minute equaliser that sparked wild celebrations at Molineux. A late deflection off an Arsenal defender wrong-footed the goalkeeper, sealing a point that felt like a win for the league’s bottom side.
The result represents a significant setback for Arsenal’s title hopes, as dropping points against the Premier League’s last-placed team allowed rivals to close the gap at the top of the table. For Wolves, the draw offered a rare positive moment in a difficult campaign, underlining their resilience despite their position.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta cut a frustrated figure after the match, with the failure to protect a two-goal cushion once again proving costly in a high-stakes title race.
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Sports
Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League
Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League
Galatasaray delivered a remarkable comeback to defeat Juventus 5–2 in the Champions League knockout playoff first leg at Rams Park, Istanbul, giving the Turkish side a commanding three-goal advantage ahead of the second leg in Turin on 25 February 2026. The match was a thrilling spectacle of attacking brilliance, defensive lapses, and key disciplinary moments that turned the game in favor of the hosts.
Juventus initially took the lead after Gabriel Sara opened the scoring for Galatasaray in the 15th minute, only for Teun Koopmeiners to equalize immediately and then score again in the 32nd minute, giving the Italian side a 2–1 advantage at halftime. The Serie A giants appeared in control, but the second half saw Galatasaray shift momentum dramatically.
Just minutes into the second half, Noa Lang scored to level the game at 2–2, followed by Davinson Sánchez heading in a set-piece goal in the 60th minute to give Galatasaray the lead. Juventus’ hopes were further dented when Juan Cabal, a second-half substitute, was shown a second yellow card in the 67th minute, reducing the visitors to 10 men and giving Galatasaray a clear numerical advantage.
READ ALSO:
- Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica
- Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe
- Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
Exploiting their superiority, Noa Lang netted his second goal of the evening in the 74th minute, and Sacha Boey sealed the emphatic 5–2 victory with a late strike in the 86th minute, completing one of Galatasaray’s most memorable Champions League performances in recent years.
The win marks a historic European night for Galatasaray, boosting confidence and positioning the Turkish side strongly for progression to the round of 16. Juventus, meanwhile, faces a challenging second leg in Turin, needing a near-perfect performance to overturn the three-goal deficit.
The match showcased Galatasaray’s attacking prowess, tactical discipline, and resilience, highlighting their ability to exploit opportunities and capitalize on numerical advantage while keeping pressure on a historically dominant European side.
Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League
Sports
Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica
Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica
Vinicius Jr scored a stunning match-winning goal to secure Real Madrid’s 1–0 victory over SL Benfica in the UEFA Champions League play-off first leg at Estádio da Luz in Lisbon on Tuesday. The Brazilian winger’s brilliance, however, was overshadowed by a racism controversy that marred the game.
The decisive moment came five minutes into the second half when Vinicius Jr curled a magnificent strike into the top corner, breaking the deadlock against a resilient Benfica defence. The goal put Real Madrid in a strong position ahead of the return leg in Madrid next week.
The celebrations quickly sparked tension when Vinicius ran toward the Benfica supporters after scoring. According to reports, Gianluca Prestianni, an Argentinian winger for Benfica, allegedly directed a racial slur at Vinicius. The referee, François Letexier, paused the game for about 10 minutes under UEFA’s anti-racism protocol as players and coaches conferred on the field. (goal.com)
READ ALSO:
- Trump’s Executive Order Halts US Aid, 250,000 Lives Affected in Yobe
- Four Northern Traders Killed, Shops Looted in Rivers Anti‑Northerners Protest
- Falana, Jibrin, Bugaje Lead Opposition to US Military Presence in Nigeria
Television footage showed Prestianni covering his mouth while speaking to Vinicius, which many interpreted as an attempt to conceal a racist comment. Real Madrid players, including Kylian Mbappé, confronted the Benfica player, calling for disciplinary action. Mbappé later said Prestianni “doesn’t deserve to be in the Champions League.”
The crowd reacted with hostility toward Vinicius, frequently booing him and even throwing objects on the pitch. Defender Trent Alexander-Arnold described the alleged abuse as “a disgrace to football,” reflecting widespread frustration over persistent racism in European competitions.
Vinicius responded strongly on social media, calling the abusers “cowards” and emphasising that racism remains a serious issue in football. He urged stronger measures to protect players and ensure zero tolerance for racial discrimination.
Benfica manager José Mourinho defended his club, insisting Benfica is not racist and pointing to its history of diversity and iconic Black players. Mourinho acknowledged the tension around Vinicius’s goal celebration but urged players and fans to exercise restraint.
Despite the off-field drama, Real Madrid emerged victorious thanks to Vinicius Jr’s technical brilliance, taking a crucial advantage into the second leg. The match will be remembered both for the goal of the night and the alleged racial incident, which continues to spark debate across football communities.
Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro1 day agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
metro3 days agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News1 day agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
Entertainment3 days agoMystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
-
metro3 days agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Auto3 days agoAppeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
-
metro1 day agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate


