metro
Inspector kills Sergeant after arresting cultist in Edo, flees
Inspector kills Sergeant after arresting cultist in Edo, flees
A police Inspector, Jonathan Okouromi, was said to have shot dead one Sergeant Abosele Akhere, both of the Edo State Police Command.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the incident occurred at about 9pm on Sunday, in Ikponwosa/Egban community, Egor Local Government Area of Edo.
Operatives of the Edo State Police Anti-Kidnapping Squad and those of the Control Intelligence Rapid Response Squad had embarked on an operation to apprehend some suspected cultists.
Our correspondent gathered that suspected cultists had been terrorising the said Ikponwosa/Egban community in recent times.
In the course of the operation, a notorious cultist and prime suspect in cult-related activities, who was simply identified as ‘Raggae’ was arrested by Sergeant Abosele Akhere.
“All of a sudden, Inspector Jonathan Okouromi just lifted his gun, pulled the trigger and shot Akhere from the back. Nobody knew what happened or why he did that. He just fired him from behind. The man fell immediately and started bleeding,” a reliable source told PUNCH Metro in a telephone conversation.
READ ALSO:
- Discos install 504,729 meters, unmetered customers now 7.1million
- PDP unhappy with Fubara over plan to implement peace pact initiated by Tinubu
- Probe into $500m Union Bank acquisition widens as Special Investigator invites ex-CBN dep gov, others
According to the source, who preferred not to be mentioned, the shot officer was rushed to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, where he was confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
The said Inspector Okouromi was reported to have “escaped with his gun the moment he realised he had shot his junior colleague to death.”
Also, the arrested suspected cultist, Reggae also escaped, while one Mr Agbontaen Monday, a member Of the Eiye confraternity was arrested.
The fleeing Inspector Okouromi is still being searched for by the police in Ugbowo division, while the body of the slain police sergeant was deposited at the mortuary as the further investigation continues, it was learnt.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in Edo State, Chidi Nwabuzor, said he was on holiday.
“I am on holiday. When I get to the office tomorrow, I’ll get the details,” he said in a telephone interview with our correspondent.
PUNCH Metro recalls that a similar incident occurred in Rivers last week when one Inspector Nelson Abuante committed suicide after he mistakenly shot dead a colleague, one Inspector Monday Gbaramana, during an attempt to arrest a suspect in Rivers State.
Inspector kills Sergeant after arresting cultist in Edo, flees
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
metro2 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
