metro
EFCC arraigns two for alleged N35 million fraud in Enugu
EFCC arraigns two for alleged N35 million fraud in Enugu
The Enugu Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has arraigned the duo of Mokawo Ahmed Yakubu and Chibuzor Okpara before Justice Mohammed Garba Umar of the Federal High Court sitting in Independence Layout, Enugu State on a six-count charge bordering on conspiracy and obtaining by false pretence to the tune of N35,000,000.00 (Thirty-Five Million Naira).
One of the counts reads; “That you, Mokawo Ahmed Yakubu, Chibuzor Okpara and Obinna Magnus Amadi (At large) on 3rd November, 2022 in Owerri, Imo State within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court of Nigeria with intent to defraud, induced one Alhaji Tukur Yuguda to deliver to you the sum of N20,000,000.00 (Twenty Million Naira) under the pretence that you will supply to him (Alhaji Tulur Yuguda) five pieces of Howo Truck, Two Howo single head and other accessories which pretence you knew to be false and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 1 (1) (a) of Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 and punishable under Section 1 (3) of the same Act”.
READ ALSO:
- Police arrest eight suspected robbers on wanted list
- Tinubu’s removal of subsidy spurred by ‘sheer arrogance’ – Babachir Lawal
- Trump wins South Carolina primary, defeating Haley in her home state
They pleaded “not guilty” when the charges were read to them. In view of their pleas, Nuradeen Shehu Ingawa, Counsel to the EFCC prayed the court for a trial date to enable the prosecution to prove its case and for the defendants to be remanded at the Correctional facility.
The defence counsel, Arinze Anyigo, however prayed the court to remand the defendants at the EFCC’s facility.
Justice Umar thereafter adjourned the matter to March 6, 2024 for hearing of bail application. The defendants were remanded at the EFCC’s facility.
The defendants allegedly lured one Alhaji Tukur Yuguda, to deliver to them the sum of N35million under the pretence that they will supply to him five pieces of Howo Truck, Two Howo single head and other accessories.
The petitioner found out he was defrauded after making payments and all efforts made to recover the money from the defendants proved abortive.
EFCC arraigns two for alleged N35 million fraud in Enugu
metro
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
Festus Keyamo, the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, has defended the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), admitting the party is “not made up of saints” but insisting it remains a better political alternative than the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). His statement has sparked public debate and widespread reactions on social media as Nigerians discuss the credibility of political parties ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Keyamo shared a video clip and message on his verified X account on Saturday, clarifying that a 2017 interview had been edited to omit key parts of his statement. He said the APC may not be perfect, but it offers better direction and governance for the country. He stated, “I will be a fool to say APC is a party of saints. Anyone who declares their party as a party of saints will also be a fool. But on the balance, the APC still holds the best hope for Nigeria, and we cannot return to the era of the PDP, which had leaders who are now contesting for the presidency.”
The minister highlighted President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the only political figure from that era who never defected to the PDP, emphasizing continuity and loyalty within the APC.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
- Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack
- Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
The statement drew diverse reactions on social media. Supporters of the APC praised Keyamo’s honesty, describing his comments as a realistic assessment of political parties. One user wrote: “Acknowledging flaws shows integrity. APC is still the party that can drive progress.” Critics and PDP supporters argued that Keyamo’s admission reinforces perceptions of corruption and mismanagement within the APC. Some commented: “If APC is flawed, why should Nigerians trust it? Accountability is missing.” Political analysts and civil society advocates called for transparency and actionable reforms, noting that admissions of imperfection alone cannot guarantee better governance.
Keyamo’s defense of the APC comes amid increasing political activity ahead of the 2027 elections. The party faces scrutiny from defections, public criticism, and debates about its leadership. Meanwhile, the PDP continues to position itself as a viable opposition, aiming to regain political ground in the coming polls. Analysts view Keyamo’s statement as part of a strategy to portray the APC as a pragmatic and forward-looking party, contrasting with the PDP’s past political record. However, many argue that credible reform and accountability measures are necessary to win public trust.
Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’
metro
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested officers involved in a fatal shooting incident in Alagbado, Lagos, which reportedly killed at least two civilians during a police operation. The Commissioner of Police, CP Olohundare Jimoh, has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident, according to SP Abimbola Adebisi, the command’s spokesperson.
In a post shared on X (formerly Twitter), Adebisi said:
“The officers involved in the unfortunate shooting incident that occurred today in Alagbado have been arrested and taken into custody. The Commissioner of Police has ordered a thorough and intensive investigation into the incident, as well as the adequate deployment of personnel to forestall any breakdown of law and order. Normalcy has been restored to the area.”
Preliminary reports indicate the shooting occurred during a police operation targeting suspected internet fraudsters, locally known as Yahoo boys, along the AIT area of Alagbado. Witnesses said two civilians were struck by gunfire and later died from their injuries, raising concerns about the use of force by security operatives in populated areas.
READ ALSO:
- Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack
- Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
- Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
Residents shared their reactions on social media, with many expressing shock and anger:
- “Finally, the officers are arrested, but we need full transparency in this investigation,” one user wrote.
- Another tweeted: “This is not the first time innocent civilians have been injured or killed by police in Lagos. Measures must be taken to protect lives during operations.”
- Advocacy groups urged the authorities to ensure justice and accountability, emphasizing that arrests alone are not enough.
Historical Context of Police Shootings in Lagos
The Alagbado shooting is the latest in a series of controversial police incidents in Lagos, including:
- 2020 Lekki Toll Gate Shooting during #EndSARS protests, where security forces killed and injured demonstrators.
- 2021 Ajah Shooting involving the death of a pregnant lawyer during a police checkpoint operation.
- Other incidents in Ojota, Murtala Mohammed Airport, and Onikan, where civilians were injured or killed during police enforcement operations.
These events have fueled public scrutiny of police conduct, with frequent calls for independent oversight, clear rules of engagement, and accountability for law enforcement officers in Lagos State.
The Lagos State Police Command has assured residents that the investigation will be thorough, justice will be served, and measures have been implemented to prevent further civilian casualties.
Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry
metro
Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument
Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument
A tragedy occurred in Amaji Village, Umuoyoro Community, Omuma Local Government Area, Rivers State, when a man allegedly slit his wife’s throat during an argument on Thursday, February 19, 2026. The victim, a mother of two, reportedly died from a deep cut inflicted by her husband while they were at their farm, sources said.
According to witnesses, a domestic dispute escalated into violence after the suspect, identified as Mr. Abuchi, reportedly grabbed a kitchen knife and attacked his wife. Her screams attracted nearby villagers, who rushed to the scene, overpowered the suspect, and handed him over to the Rivers State Police Command.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), CSP Grace Iringe‑Koko, confirmed the arrest of the suspect and said the Commissioner of Police has ordered a detailed investigation to ensure timely justice.
READ ALSO:
- Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack
- Agege Council Announces Free 3kg Cooking Gas Refill for 4,000 Residents
- Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder
“Yes, I can confirm the incident. The suspect has been arrested and a thorough investigation is ongoing to ensure justice is served,” she stated.
The incident has drawn condemnation from the Centre for Basic Rights and Accountability Campaign (CBRAC), which described the killing as the height of man’s inhumanity to man. The group called on the police to conduct a transparent investigation and ensure that justice is both served and seen to be served.
Prince Wiro, National Coordinator of CBRAC, said, “There is no justification for anyone to take another person’s life. This is a clear case of murder, and the Rivers State Police Command must ensure accountability.”
Residents of Amaji Village remain shocked and grieving, while community leaders urge peaceful resolution of disputes and enhanced measures to prevent domestic violence.
The case highlights the ongoing risks of domestic violence in Nigeria and the critical role of law enforcement and community awareness in protecting vulnerable family members.
Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
Politics18 hours agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
News3 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
News1 day agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Health3 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
Entertainment3 days agoActress Destiny Etiko Breaks Silence on Alleged Nollywood Betrayal
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
International1 day agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis


