Abducted pastor mistaken for kidnapper, killed in Ogun forest by ‘security agents’ - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Abducted pastor mistaken for kidnapper, killed in Ogun forest by ‘security agents’

Published

on

Pastor Adeniyi Adisa

Abducted pastor mistaken for kidnapper, killed in Ogun forest by ‘security agents’

The family of Pastor Adeniyi Adisa, a chartered accountant, has demanded for justice over the alleged murder of their son, whom they alleged died in the hands of some youths and the police in Ogun State.

It was gathered that the father of five was kidnapped on June 24 as he returned from a visit to a friend in the Yotomi area, Owode Egba area of the state.

The deceased, who was the General Manager of VGC Water in Lekki, Lagos, was held hostage by his abductors for several days until his body was eventually found deposited outside a morgue in Ogun State. He was buried in Ibadan on July 8, 2023.

However, the deceased’s younger brother, Musiliu Adisa, told Saturday PUNCH that Adeniyi was murdered by some irate youths in Abule-Ori community and some security operatives who falsely labelled him a kidnapper.

It was learnt that due to the delay in the ransom payment after he was kidnapped, his abductors took him to a bush close to a church they were going to attack. They were said to have abandoned him and went to attack the church, where they killed the pastor during a mid-year night vigil before policemen and the state’s So-Safe Corps called upon by church members arrived at the scene.

However, Musiliu said the police and the corps pursuing the kidnappers found a frail Adisa in the same bush and mistook him as one of the kidnappers, following which he was killed.

Musiliu added, “My brother married two wives and had five children. His first wife, Temilade Adisa, who had three children, was married to him till death. He had two children with his second wife, Bukola, but they later divorced.

“My brother was killed by the police and others on July 1, 2023, at the Abule Ori bush close to a branch of the Redeemed Christian Church of God in the Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of the state. We are all traumatised and still in pain.”

READ ALSO:

“I received a phone call from him on Sunday morning and he informed me that he had been kidnapped, and we commenced a rescue mission and were prepared to pay a ransom to his abductors.

“We were on this until that Friday when his friend negotiated with the kidnappers and they agreed to collect the ransom at the Abule Ori bush. The lady took the money there around 9 pm but returned with the money that day because there was no commercial motorcycle to transport her into the bush.”

A key to the puzzle

The Adisa family noted that a press release issued by the So-Safe Corps gave out the police and the Corps as Adeniyi’s possible killers.

In a Facebook post dated July 2 by an online publisher, Felix Mordi, he wrote that the “day of reckoning came for a member of a suspected kidnapping syndicate when he fell to the superior firepower of the operatives of the Ogun State Community, Social Orientation and Safety Corps (So-Safe Corps).”

A press release issued from the office of the State Commander of So-Safe Corps, Soji Ganzallo, through the office of the Director of Information and Public Relations, Moruf Yusuf, said the Corps swung into action after they received a distress call at about 12 am on Saturday, July 1, 2023.

It read, “The special operation team of the Corps, Owode-Egba Zonal Command, under ACC Jimoh Rasaki Omoniyi, received a distress call that some of the members of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Desires of Nations Parish, under Ogun Province 22, Abule-Ori in Obafemi Owode Local Government Area, were attacked during a vigil, while seven members of the church were kidnapped and the pastor killed.

“The seven victims were rescued unhurt, while one of the kidnappers was killed and many of the suspects sustained serious injury during a fire exchange.”

Following the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Ogun State Command, Omolola Odutola, confirmed the situation , adding that one of the pastors of the church, Adesina Oyesegun, had reported the incident at the police station in the area.

Odutola stated, “At about 3:30 pm on Saturday, Oyesegun said he was in church with other pastors and church members when some hoodlums numbering about seven invaded their church, attacked them with guns, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons with the intent to kidnap members.

READ ALSO:

“The hoodlums were shooting aimlessly, and as a result, one Pastor Kayode Oluwakemi, 56, sustained bullet wounds on his chest and unfortunately died on the spot.

“The villagers and security men in the area attracted the neighbouring villagers and security men, who confronted the suspected kidnappers in a gun duel. The kidnapped victims have regained their freedom.

“Some of the suspected kidnappers escaped with bullet wounds, but one yet-to-be-identified suspected kidnapper was neutralised while combing the bush, and the corpse was deposited at Owode Egba General Hospital Morgue. An effort is in progress to arrest the other fleeing suspects that are still at large.”

Meanwhile, the Adisa family was distraught when they found out that the “yet-to-be-identified suspected kidnapper” who was killed during this operation was their brother Adeniyi, who was earlier kidnapped by the hoodlums who attacked the church.

Musiliu said , “The next day after the failed ransom attempt, the kidnappers attacked the RCCG church close to the forest and one of them was supposedly killed by the police. What we didn’t know was that the kidnappers who abducted our brother also took him along in the bush during their raid on the church.

“We later saw the photograph of the suspect in the police news bulletin, and on Tuesday, we discovered it was my brother that was killed by the police and they thought to be a kidnapper. When we went to identify the corpse, it was discovered that it was my brother that the police killed, not a kidnapper.

“From our own findings, it was confirmed that when the kidnappers wanted to collect the ransom money, they brought my brother along with them to the Abule Ori bush thinking they would collect the money, release him to us, and tarry for a while before they operated again.”

He noted that when the ransom payment failed, the family believed their brother became a burden to the kidnappers and they probably demobilised him.

“They didn’t kill him,” he continued. “The following morning when my brother was wading through the bush, the police, the So-Safe Corps, and the villagers took him to be one of the kidnappers who came to attack the area earlier that morning and they killed him with guns, machetes and sticks.”

Disturbing footage

The Adisa family believed that the late Adeniyi, who had become weak following his seven-day torture by his abductors, was found in the bush early in the morning by residents of the community along with the police team, all of whom he alleged pounced on him and accused him of being one of the kidnappers.

READ ALSO:

Musiliu added, “We know they murdered him because they took a video while they were killing him. We got the video and went to the Eleweran Police Command, Ogun State.

“We wrote a petition and the Commissioner of Police held a meeting with us, the family, as well as the Divisional Police Officer, the Area Commander and other big shots. They ordered the arrest of all the people who were in the video and charged them with murder.

“They have commenced the investigation and it has been ongoing for about one and a half months now. Our contact who has been helping us to follow up with the police case said we should be patient and that the investigation will continue.”

Another video footage forwarded by the family showed the deceased’s body surrounded by a group of six young men some of whom were holding machetes.

Four policemen could also be seen, with one of them holding a gun on the one hand and a machete on the other.

“He has become dead meat,” one of the youths sneered in Yoruba language. “Don’t carry him, drag him,” ordered one of the four policemen at the site as two youths held each of Adeniyi’s legs and cruelly dragged his lifeless body through the grass.

As his corpse was shoved and squeezed into the back of the pickup van, one of the men said, “Look at them, they hide their own children at home while kidnapping other people’s children.”

One of the policemen hit the already dead Adeniyi in his legs to remove his shoes from his legs. The shoes fell off and were placed on his body.

“This was where we first found him, he was crawling through the bush. He could no longer walk on that leg,” one of the men said in the video.

With sadness in his voice, Musiliu said that even in death, his brother’s body was still not accorded any measure of dignity by the authorities.

“My brother’s corpse was kept outside Owode Egba General Hospital mortuary, exposed harshly to both rainfall and sunlight. Both in life and in death, he was treated like a common criminal,” he lamented.

“By Wednesday, July 5, the corpse had become over bloated. It was a horrible sight. We paid the mortuary attendant over N160,000 to deflate the bloated corpse.”

When the state PPRO, Odutola, was contacted for an update on the police investigation into the murder, she told the correspondent to send her a message on WhatsApp.

“I will get the relevant information from Obafemi Owode and let you know the update on WhatsApp. Please send me a message there,” she said.

A subsequent inquiry on the case sent to Odutola on Tuesday has not been responded to as of the time of filing this report on Friday evening.

Abducted pastor mistaken for kidnapper, killed in Ogun forest by ‘security agents’

(PUNCH)

metro

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed-Tinubu with SERAP

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has formally called on President Bola Tinubu to withdraw the Lawful Interception of Communications Regulations, 2019, describing them as unconstitutional, unlawful, and inconsistent with Nigeria’s international human rights obligations. The demand follows allegations that the phone of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu was intercepted, raising national concerns about phone tapping, mass surveillance, and privacy rights in Nigeria.

In a letter dated 21 February 2026 and signed by SERAP Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare, the civil rights organisation urged Tinubu to direct Bosun Tijani, Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, to repeal the regulations immediately. SERAP also called for a transparent legislative process to develop lawful interception laws that comply with constitutional safeguards, judicial oversight, and international human rights standards.

READ ALSO:

The organisation criticised the regulations for granting broad and vague powers to intercept communications on grounds such as “national security,” “economic wellbeing,” or “public emergency” without sufficient judicial safeguards, transparency, or independent oversight. SERAP warned that these powers risk being weaponised against journalists, civil society, political opponents, and election observers, especially as Nigeria approaches the 2027 general elections.

According to SERAP, the current framework allows interception without a warrant in situations involving consent, threats to life, or the ordinary course of business. It also expands the category of “authorised agencies” arbitrarily and fails to provide adequate safeguards for the protection of private communications, encryption, and data storage. The organisation emphasised that such practices violate Section 37 of the Nigerian Constitution and international human rights obligations.

SERAP highlighted that secret surveillance and bulk data collection create significant risks of misuse, profiling, and political manipulation. The organisation noted that mass surveillance measures must comply with legality, necessity, proportionality, and prior judicial authorisation, with clear oversight mechanisms and remedies for affected individuals.

The civil society group warned that if the government fails to act within seven days of the letter’s publication, it would pursue legal action to compel compliance, reiterating that privacy and freedom of expression are essential for free and fair elections and democratic governance.

The call by SERAP adds to growing public debates about data privacy, lawful interception, and accountability in Nigeria. Observers argue that without reform, the regulations could undermine journalistic independence, political participation, and citizens’ trust in digital communication.

SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations

Continue Reading

metro

₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke

₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government

An audit firm, Salivot Consulting Limited, has alleged a massive ₦13.7 billion annual payroll fraud involving thousands of ghost workers and pensioners in Osun State, triggering widespread public outrage and calls for transparency.

The allegation was disclosed by the firm’s Chief Executive Officer, Sadat Bakrin-Ottun, during an appearance on Politics Tonight on Channels Television. According to her, a 12-month forensic audit allegedly revealed that Osun State is losing about ₦13.7bn yearly to non-existent employees, unverifiable pensioners, and manipulated payroll records under the administration of Ademola Adeleke.

The audit reportedly identified 8,452 workers and 5,831 pensioners who allegedly failed to appear for physical and biometric verification. Bakrin-Ottun claimed the exercise exposed systemic payroll abuse across ministries, departments, and agencies, warning that the irregularities could not be dismissed as clerical errors. Among the most controversial findings, she alleged that one bank account linked to a single Bank Verification Number (BVN) received 962 salaries monthly, while another account was credited with 5,615 monthly salaries, pointing to deliberate payroll manipulation. She insisted the audit relied on biometric data, BVN analytics, and bank reconciliation records to validate these claims.

READ ALSO:

The Osun State Government has strongly rejected the ₦13.7bn payroll fraud allegation, accusing Salivot Consulting Limited of professional misconduct, data exaggeration, and misrepresentation. State officials claimed that only 1,316 workers remain unverified, adding that several individuals flagged by the firm are legitimate employees, whom the government declined to remove from the payroll “in good conscience.” Officials also insisted that payroll reforms have reduced the state’s monthly wage bill by about ₦1 billion, dismissing the fraud claim as misleading and politically motivated.

Bakrin-Ottun, however, dismissed the government’s rebuttal, maintaining that the audit was thorough, transparent, and evidence-driven. She alleged that while Governor Adeleke initially supported the exercise, implementation stalled after the audit report was submitted in July 2024. She claimed relations broke down after she demanded accountability for the allegedly siphoned funds, leading to tensions with senior officials, including the Chief of Staff.

The firm’s legal counsel, J.T.O. Uwazuruike, said the dispute has now escalated beyond unpaid consultancy fees. Salivot Consulting plans to petition the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate those allegedly responsible for diverting billions of naira from the state treasury. While the government has yet to specifically address claims of multiple salary payments into single accounts, labour unions, civil society groups, and residents continue to demand a forensic, independent probe to verify the state payroll system.

₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government

Continue Reading

metro

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Published

on

Nigerian TikTok sensation and streamer, Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Nigerian TikTok sensation and streamer, Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, has narrowly escaped injury following a generator fire incident at his residence.

The social media influencer disclosed the incident on Saturday via his verified Instagram page, where he shared a video capturing the early-morning blaze. In the footage, flames could be seen engulfing his generator as Peller, visibly shaken, cried out for help while neighbors and occupants rushed to contain the fire.

After sustained efforts using buckets of water, the fire was eventually brought under control. The generator was completely destroyed, but the building itself and everyone inside the house were spared, preventing what could have escalated into a major tragedy.

Shortly after the incident, fans and followers flooded his comment section with messages of relief and gratitude, praising the swift response that prevented loss of life or further property damage. The video also circulated widely across other social media platforms, where viewers raised concerns about generator safety, ventilation, and fire preparedness in residential areas.

READ ALSO:

As of the time of filing this report, the exact cause of the fire had not been independently confirmed, though preliminary reactions online speculated about possible fuel-related or electrical issues.

Earlier Lekki–Epe Expressway Incident

The generator fire comes months after Peller survived a separate and highly publicized scare along the Lekki–Epe Expressway.

During that earlier episode, which unfolded during a widely shared livestream, the influencer was seen driving while emotionally distressed. The broadcast, titled “RIP Peller,” sparked widespread concern after he made a series of alarming remarks that unsettled viewers.

At the time, Peller appeared agitated during a phone conversation believed to involve his girlfriend, amid online speculation about personal relationship challenges. The livestream ended abruptly after the vehicle was involved in a crash, though Peller later confirmed he survived the incident.

The back-to-back scares have renewed conversations among fans and industry observers about mental health awareness, content moderation during livestreams, and personal safety, particularly for young influencers who share real-time experiences with large audiences.

Despite the incidents, Peller has continued to engage his followers and has expressed appreciation for the overwhelming support he has received.

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending