metro
Air Peace’ll meet with Emir of Kano soon over missed flight – Onyema
The management of Air Peace has said that it will meet with Aminu Ado Bayero, the Emir of Kano and the emirate very soon in a bid to resolve the misunderstanding arising from last week’s missed flight by the emir and his entourage.
The airline said that it would not like the issue to heat up the polity, maintaining that it would continue to preach peace and unity of Nigeria.
Allen Onyema, the Chairman, Air Peace, made the statement on Monday when Independent Newspapers’ team led by Mr. Don Okere, the editor, Daily Independent, paid him a courtesy visit in his office at the Government Reserved Area (G.R.A) Ikeja, Lagos.
Independent Newspapers selected Mr. Onyema as the Businessman of the Year 2021 in its annual award slated for Saturday at Eko Hotels and Suites, Lagos.
Fielding questions from the editorial team, Onyema regretted the altercations that arose from the missed flight, but described the emir as a quiet and a peace loving man who would not encourage violence of any sort.
He also cautioned the public, especially the media, against escalating the issue, assuring that the airline would resolve the issue amicably. He said: “I don’t want to be used to heat up the polity.
“I don’t want Air Peace to be a source of rancour in the country. Air Peace has always been known as an airline that was borne out of peace.
‘I have been a very peaceful person and I have been pursuing tenets of peace all my life and I have been pursuing peace and unity of this country selflessly right from my teenage years.
“So, I cannot allow myself to be used or to be involved in anything that will tear the country apart.
‘And the Emir of Kano I know is a peace loving man. I have always known him as a prince when the late father was still alive.
“I have paid homage to the father several times. He may not remember me, but when I bring pictures of me and his father and him also, he will realise that I have been paying homage to his father.
“I have always known him as a very quiet and unassuming person and nothing has changed.
“I don’t think the emir of Kano will want to be involved in what is happening and I can tell you he is a very respectable man.
“We are going to meet any day. He’s not a troublesome person and I am sure he will like to meet with me and I will also like to meet with him, too.
“There is nothing at stake, we are all one Nigeria. We don’t want people to capitalise on this to start fanning embers of disunity in the country. People should play it down; the media should play it down.
“The fragile peace we have in this country should not be toyed with in any way. Air Peace will not allow itself to be a source of rancour in the country.”
Recall that Isa Bayero, the cousin of the emir, had on Saturday issued a three-day ultimatum to Air Peace to apologise for allegedly “disrespecting” the monarch.
He had earlier written a letter of complaint to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), asking the regulatory body to take action against the airline for allegedly disrespecting the emir and the people of Kano.
He purported that the airline turned down his request to delay the Lagos-Kano scheduled flight after they were delayed in Banjul, Gambia, to Lagos.
Also, Onyema lauded President Muhammadu Buhari, Sen. Hadi Sirika, the Minister of Aviation, and Capt. Musa Nuhu, the Director-General of NCAA, for putting national interest forward during the faceoff with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) over his airline’s slots issue with the Middle East country.
He said the airline on Tuesday recommenced flight services to Dubai through the Dubai International Airport.
“Yes, we are returning to Dubai tomorrow (Tuesday). I cannot be a prouder Nigerian with what the Federal Government did as it concerns our flight operations into Dubai; Nigerians of all works of life and ethnicities were proud of the way the government stood behind Air Peace.
“The government was even ready to sacrifice the diplomatic relationship with the UAE if they didn’t do the right thing.
“I thank President Muhammadu Buhari for providing that kind of leadership where every Nigerian is protected no matter where you come from and no matter who you are,” he said.
![]()
metro
Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded
metro
2027: Over 500 Northern Muslim Clerics Endorse Tinubu for Second Term
metro
Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested five suspected telecommunication vandals and recovered a truckload of suspected stolen iron rods in the Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos State.
The suspects were allegedly caught stealing iron poles intended for the construction of telecommunication masts before they were apprehended while conveying the materials in a truck.
The suspects were identified as Mohammed Shaibu, 26; Musa Zakari, 29; Abdullahi Bala, 22; Salisu Musa, 18; and Yahuza Bala, 20.
The Command said the arrests were made as part of its intensified efforts to tackle vandalism and theft of critical infrastructure across Lagos State.
According to the police, the suspects are currently in custody, while the matter is being investigated at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Yaba.
The Command said discreet investigations were ongoing to track down other suspects who allegedly fled and establish the full extent of the alleged operation.
READ ALSO:
- Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau
- Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu, By Farooq Kperogi
- Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The police also acknowledged the support of the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, saying the cooperation between the two security agencies contributed significantly to the successful operation and arrest of the suspects.
The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Tijani Fatai, reaffirmed the Command’s determination to protect critical infrastructure and ensure that anyone found responsible for vandalism is brought to justice.
Fatai also urged Lagos residents to remain vigilant and promptly provide credible information about suspicious activities in their communities to security agencies.
The Command said members of the public can report emergencies and suspicious activities through its designated emergency lines, including 07061019374, 08065154338, 08063299264, 08039344870, 08080193432 (Marine), and 09168630929.
The latest arrests highlight continuing security concerns over the vandalism of telecommunications infrastructure, which can undermine network expansion, disrupt services and impose additional costs on infrastructure operators.
The police said investigations would continue to determine whether the five suspects allegedly acted alone or were connected to a wider network involved in the theft and movement of telecommunications infrastructure materials.
The suspects remain presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty by a court of law.
Lagos Police arrest five suspected telecom vandals, recover truckload of iron rods
![]()
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
metro3 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
Politics3 days agoPBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
-
Auto2 days agoDangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety
-
Africa3 days agoM23 Rebels Impose Ebola Movement Restrictions as DRC Conflict Complicates Outbreak Response
-
News2 days agoAtiku’s Fuel Subsidy Plan Unrealistic, Destructive, Says Presidency
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected in 2027
