Akwa Ibom govt confirms death of state gov's wife - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Akwa Ibom govt confirms death of state gov’s wife

Published

on

Akwa Ibom govt confirms death of state gov’s wife

Mrs Patience Martha Umo Eno, wife of Akwa Ibom governor, Pastor Umo Eno, is dead.

Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for

Information, Ini Ememobong, confirmed this in a statement on Friday.

The commissioner said the first lady died on Thursday in a hospital in the presence of her family.

The statement said, “It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of the Wife of the Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Her Excellency, Pastor Mrs Patience Umo Eno, following an illness.

“She passed away peacefully at the hospital, on 26th September, 2024, in the presence of her family.

“The family submits to the will of the Almighty and asks for the prayers and support of kind-hearted individuals during this difficult time.

“Further details will be provided by the family as necessary. In the meantime, the family kindly requests privacy as they mourn their beloved wife, mother and grandmother.

“His Excellency, the Governor, Pastor Umo Eno, appreciates all who have stood by the first family in this period and assures all the citizens that despite this huge personal loss, his commitment to the service of the state is unwavering.”

Her pet project

Patience Eno was affectionately referred to as Eka Iberedem Akwa Ibom, which means “Mother and Strong Pillar of Akwa Ibom.”

She founded the Golden Initiative For All (GIFA), a foundation focused on providing shelter, food, and education to the poor and vulnerable in Akwa Ibom.

News

Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday

Published

on

MOON CRESCENT

Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday

Riyadh, February 17, 2026 — Authorities in Saudi Arabia have officially confirmed the sighting of the crescent moon marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, signaling that fasting will commence on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.

The announcement was made Tuesday evening following reports from moon-sighting committees across the Kingdom. In a statement carried by state media, the Supreme Court confirmed that verified testimonies of the crescent’s sighting had been received after sunset on the 29th day of Sha’ban.

With the confirmation, Muslims throughout the Kingdom will begin the first fast of Ramadan at dawn on Wednesday.

READ ALSO:

Religious authorities had earlier called on citizens and residents to look for the crescent on Tuesday evening and report any confirmed sightings to the nearest court. Observations were conducted in various regions, including areas around Riyadh and Mecca, as part of the Kingdom’s longstanding tradition of physical moon sighting.

Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed by Muslims worldwide as a period of fasting, prayer, charity, and spiritual reflection. The start of the month is determined by the sighting of the new crescent moon, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

Several other countries in the Gulf region are also expected to begin fasting on Wednesday following similar confirmations, while some nations may rely on local moon sightings to determine their own start date.

Further announcements regarding the duration of nightly Taraweeh prayers and official Ramadan working hours are expected from relevant authorities in the coming days.

Saudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday

Continue Reading

News

Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results

Published

on

Former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini
Former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini

Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results

A former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini, has raised concerns that Nigeria’s ongoing debate over electronic transmission of election results exposes unresolved legal, institutional, and technological challenges, despite years of electoral reforms. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Monday, Igini warned that recent Senate amendments to the Electoral Act could create confusion and vulnerabilities in future elections, particularly the 2027 general polls. He stressed that failing to clarify rules on electronic results transmission risks undermining democracy, transparency, and public confidence.

The controversy stems from the Senate’s recent amendment to the Electoral Act, which now allows electronic transmission of results but removed the “real-time” requirement that had previously been proposed to enable direct uploading from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IREV). Under the amendment, Form EC8A, the physical result sheet, remains the primary document in cases of internet outages or connectivity failure. Igini cautioned that this creates a grey area that could trigger disputes in 2027 if presiding officers are allowed discretion over network availability, highlighting that legal and technological clarity is essential to avoid chaos.

READ ALSO:

Referencing a 2021 technical report by INEC and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Igini said Nigeria possesses adequate telecommunications coverage, with 2G and 3G networks covering about 93% of the country, making electronic transmission feasible nationwide. INEC had also mapped polling units to mobile network operators and prepared SIM cards and data arrangements to ensure smooth uploads to IREV. He explained that Nigeria had previously relied on interim innovations, including biometric voter registers, card readers, and digital result-viewing platforms, to enhance transparency where legal provisions prohibited full electronic transmission.

Igini further warned that introducing discretionary fallbacks for “network issues” could reintroduce vulnerabilities, as presiding officers might abuse their authority to manipulate results. He emphasised that modern election devices, such as BIVAS machines, can operate both online and offline, uploading results at the nearest connectivity point to ensure integrity in IREV. “The whole purpose of IREV is to make results verifiable and immutable once entered. Allowing manual override defeats the reforms we have painstakingly implemented over the years,” he said.

He also noted that judicial interpretations and evolving legislative amendments have contributed to uncertainty over the legality of technological innovations in elections. Igini urged lawmakers to consider the long-term implications of changes to the Electoral Act, stressing that Nigeria’s democratic stability relies on cooperation between INEC, the judiciary, and key stakeholders. “Our democracy’s future depends on the rule of law. Without it, society risks being dominated by those who act for personal interest rather than public good,” he added.

With the 2027 elections approaching, Igini’s warnings underscore the need for clear legal frameworks, technological preparedness, and robust institutional coordination. He urged all stakeholders to work collaboratively to ensure that electronic transmission of results enhances transparency, accountability, and credibility in Nigeria’s electoral process.

Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results

Continue Reading

News

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Published

on

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Tension gripped Abuja on Monday as security operatives fired teargas to disperse protesters and supporters of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, during a confrontation at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The standoff reportedly occurred when hundreds of El-Rufai’s supporters accompanied him to the anti-graft agency’s headquarters, escalating an already charged political atmosphere in the Federal Capital Territory.

Eyewitness accounts and video footage circulating online showed security personnel deploying teargas canisters as crowds surged toward the EFCC complex.

In one of the videos, agitated voices were heard declaring, “We will come back; when it clears, we will come back,” suggesting the group’s resolve to sustain their protest despite the crackdown.

READ ALSO:

The development follows reports last Thursday that El-Rufai was allegedly stopped by security operatives at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, in what his supporters described as an attempted arrest.

While official details surrounding the airport incident remain unclear, the situation appeared to have heightened tensions among his loyalists.

El-Rufai, who served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, remains a prominent political figure and a key voice within Nigeria’s political landscape.

His tenure was marked by sweeping reforms as well as controversy over security challenges and policy decisions in the state.

As of press time, the EFCC had yet to issue an official statement clarifying the circumstances surrounding Monday’s confrontation or addressing reports of any investigation involving the former governor.

Security presence around the commission’s headquarters was significantly reinforced following the clash, with access to parts of the area temporarily restricted.

The incident adds to growing political tensions in the country, particularly as anti-corruption investigations continue to intersect with high-profile political actors.

 

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending