Betta Edu: Forget about her reappointment – Tinubu tells party leaders - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Betta Edu: Forget about her reappointment – Tinubu tells party leaders

Published

on

Betta Edu, Suspended Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation

Betta Edu: Forget about her reappointment – Tinubu tells party leaders

President Bola Tinubu has ruled out the possibility of reinstating Dr Betta Edu as Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation.

The President suspended Edu from office on January 8 for her alleged involvement in financial scandal running into billions of Naira belonging to the ministry.

Edu was found to have illegally approved payment of hundreds of millions of Naira to some private companies and civil servants in contravention of extant rules.

One of the payments was the N585 million paid into the United Bank for Africa (UBA) account of a project accountant in the Humanitarian Affairs Ministry. A company belonging to the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo was also reported to have received N438 million payment for unverifiable contract.

The suspended Minister is currently being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) while Tunji-Ojo is being investigated by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC).

However, some prominent chieftains of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) are reported to be mounting pressure on the President to give Edu a soft landing.

It was gathered on Sunday that the party leaders hinged their pleas on the fact that Edu, in her previous position as National Woman Leader of the APC, played a key role in mobilising support for Tinubu’s election during the last electioneering.

They reminded the President that it was in recognition of her contribution to the victory of the APC in the last presidential election that earned her the ministerial appointment in the first place.

A top party source privy to the rapprochement moves, told our correspondent on Sunday, that party leaders were however not unmindful of the effects of the Edu scandal on the image of the APC at the national level.

The source, who did not want his name in print, said, “It was a difficult task trying to convince President Tinubu to give Edu a soft landing despite the fact that she payed a prominent role during the residential campaign.

READ ALSO:

“Edu wept profusely when some of our leaders managed to prevail on the President to grant her audience a few days ago. But the president was not moved one bit.

“President Tinubu did not mince words in telling her and the party leaders pleading on her behalf that she should forget about reinstatement. However, the President left everyone guessing regarding her ongoing investigation by the EFCC”.

Another source confirmed to our correspondent that Edu named one of the President’s top aides as her enabler. The said aide is known to be one of the President’s long standing political associates.

Tinubu was said to have been taken aback by the revelation of the aide’s deep involvement in Edu’s reckless looting of public treasury and the effects on the administration’s anti corruption campaign.

A source in the Presidency said the President has tactically stripped the top aide of his official functions and has delegated the responsibilities of his office to two other officials in the Presidency.

Other multiple sources said the President had placed the influential aide on security watch shortly before he travelled to France last week on a private visit.

It was reliably gathered that Tinubu’s initial plan was to send the errant aide packing, but that on a second thought, he felt it was rather too early to kick out such a prominent aide barely seven months into his administration.

“President Tinubu was scandalised by the involvement of his close associate in the huge financial scandal perpetrated by Betta Edu. He felt disappointed that one of those he trusted to drive his administration’s anti corruption campaign has turned out to join the corruption bandwagon so early in the life of the administration.

“I am not in a position to answer your question as to whether or not the President is going to fire him anytime soon because I cannot read his mind. That is strictly left to him since he alone has the prerogative to hire and fire”, one of the sources said.

There have been a deluge of corruption allegations involving other top officials of the administration. The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi is presently in the eye of the storm over alleged payment of some N9 billion to a Microfinance bank for unspecified project.

Also, the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Emmanuel Ogalla, is contending with allegations of receiving $170 million in bribes and releasing several vessels seized for illegal oil bunkering and oil thieves.

Although both the Works Minister and the Naval Chief have come out to defend their positions through their establishments the allegations have continued to gain traction in the public space.

Betta Edu: Forget about her reappointment – Tinubu tells party leaders

News

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Published

on

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Tension gripped Abuja on Monday as security operatives fired teargas to disperse protesters and supporters of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, during a confrontation at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The standoff reportedly occurred when hundreds of El-Rufai’s supporters accompanied him to the anti-graft agency’s headquarters, escalating an already charged political atmosphere in the Federal Capital Territory.

Eyewitness accounts and video footage circulating online showed security personnel deploying teargas canisters as crowds surged toward the EFCC complex.

In one of the videos, agitated voices were heard declaring, “We will come back; when it clears, we will come back,” suggesting the group’s resolve to sustain their protest despite the crackdown.

READ ALSO:

The development follows reports last Thursday that El-Rufai was allegedly stopped by security operatives at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, in what his supporters described as an attempted arrest.

While official details surrounding the airport incident remain unclear, the situation appeared to have heightened tensions among his loyalists.

El-Rufai, who served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, remains a prominent political figure and a key voice within Nigeria’s political landscape.

His tenure was marked by sweeping reforms as well as controversy over security challenges and policy decisions in the state.

As of press time, the EFCC had yet to issue an official statement clarifying the circumstances surrounding Monday’s confrontation or addressing reports of any investigation involving the former governor.

Security presence around the commission’s headquarters was significantly reinforced following the clash, with access to parts of the area temporarily restricted.

The incident adds to growing political tensions in the country, particularly as anti-corruption investigations continue to intersect with high-profile political actors.

 

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Continue Reading

News

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Published

on

Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede
Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, has clarified that the council has never received financial support from any government, either within or outside Nigeria. Speaking in Lagos at the 31st Annual Pre-Ramadan Lecture of the University of Lagos Muslim Alumni (UMA), Oloyede stressed that the NSCIA operates independently and relies largely on modest private donations to sustain its activities.

Oloyede, who also serves as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), explained that in his 15-year tenure as NSCIA Secretary-General, the council had not received “a kobo” from any government. He added that fewer than 20 individuals have donated amounts up to ₦500,000 since 2013, highlighting that the council functions without significant external funding. He decried misinformation and divisive narratives suggesting government involvement under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Saad Abubakar, noting that such speculation undermines unity within Nigeria’s Muslim community.

READ ALSO:

Speaking on the theme “Muslims: The Challenge of National Security,” Oloyede warned against viewing insecurity, terrorism, and banditry through a religious lens. He said extremists often cloak their violent acts in religious language, but such actions do not reflect Islam. “Islam cannot be determined by what extremists say or do. We have a duty to correct that narrative,” he said, urging Muslims to reject all forms of extremism while understanding that insurgency thrives on enabling political, social, and economic conditions.

Oloyede stressed that security is central to Sharia, emphasizing that a true Muslim is someone “from whose actions neighbours — regardless of their faith — are safe and secure.” He cautioned against reducing insecurity to regional or religious differences, noting that all parts of Nigeria face security challenges. He called on Muslims to embrace moral responsibility, civic accountability, and practical partnerships to improve national security.

Other speakers at the lecture also highlighted the societal dimensions of insecurity. Dr. Ridwan Jamiu, Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, described insurgents as agents of evil and stressed the need for religious leaders to promote peace and guide followers toward positive community engagement. Lagos State Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa identified poverty and economic inequality as key drivers of insecurity and urged the government and policymakers to focus on job creation, education, and inclusive development as long-term solutions.

The lecture, part of the annual pre-Ramadan engagements, comes at a time when Nigeria continues to grapple with complex security challenges, including insurgency in the Northeast, banditry in the Northwest and North-Central, and rising violent crime in the South. Experts emphasize that national cohesion, interfaith cooperation, and community-led security initiatives are vital to tackling these threats effectively.

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Continue Reading

News

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Published

on

MOON CRESCENT

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

The Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia has urged Muslims across the Kingdom to look for the Ramadan crescent moon on the evening of Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to determine the official start of Ramadan 1447 AH. The court emphasized that community participation in moon sighting is vital for confirming the beginning of the holy month.

In an official statement relayed by the Saudi Press Agency, the Supreme Court instructed anyone who spots the new moon crescent — either with the naked eye or using binoculars — to report their observation to the nearest court and ensure their testimony is recorded. Local centres have also been set up to assist observers in reaching judicial offices.

The Kingdom has established moon sighting committees across regions to coordinate observations and support public involvement. Authorities encouraged citizens to actively participate, noting that their contributions are essential to help Muslims across Saudi Arabia begin Ramadan in unity.

READ ALSO:

Tuesday corresponds to 29 Sha’ban 1447 AH in the Islamic lunar calendar. If the crescent moon is sighted, Ramadan 1447 AH will commence on Wednesday, February 18, 2026. If the moon is not visible, Sha’ban will be completed as 30 days, and Ramadan will begin on Thursday, February 19, 2026. This aligns with centuries-old Islamic tradition of lunar observation.

Muslims worldwide, including in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, are preparing for Ramadan, a sacred month of fasting, prayer, reflection, and charity. Astronomical forecasts suggest visibility may vary across regions, making local observations and testimonies crucial. Similar calls for crescent moon sightings have also been issued by authorities in countries such as Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

The Supreme Court’s announcement underscores the importance of lunar observation in Islamic practice and encourages public engagement to ensure a synchronized start of Ramadan across the Kingdom.

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending