Connect with us

metro

Boko Haram massacre dozens of farmers in Borno, as hunters kill two terrorists, injured scores

Published

on

Armed members of Boko Haram terrorists suspected to be ISWAP group last Sunday invaded farmlands on the outskirts of Kala Balge Local Government Area of Borno state and massacred over 50 farmers.

This is even as local hunters ambushed hideouts of terrorists in Wanori village of Konduga Local Government Area of the state and killed two terrorists, while several others sustained various degrees of injuries, after recovering 11 wheelbarrows used in looting foodstuff by the terrorists.

Kala Balge is a border town with the Cameroun Republic with a poor telecommunications network which delayed the Information on the latest massacre of farmers.

Sources said, the insurgents armed with sophisticated weapons sneaked into the farms and started killing farmers one after the other, but confirming the incident, member house of representative, Kala Balge, Bama and Ngala federal constituency, Hon Dr Zainab Gimba told Vanguard that the victims were mostly not farmers, but scavengers who went outside the community to fend for themselves before they were ambushed by the terrorists.

“Over 50 people were buried in Rann on Monday. As of this morning, more dead bodies have been found; the death toll is over 60 now.” Said a farmer, Ali Isa who escaped unhurt.

Recall that Boko Haram has increasingly targeted farmers, herders and loggers, accusing them of spying and passing information to the Nigerian military.

READ ALSO:

They have also been raiding herding communities and stealing cattle, a valuable commodity in the region to fund their operations.

In 2020, the insurgents invaded a rice plantation in Zabarmari, a community in the Jere Local Government Area, killing at least 43 farmers.

When contacted for confirmation, the Police Commissioner, Abdu Umar told Vanguard that, he is yet to get details on the incident, even as he promised to furnish the press when he gets in touch with the Divisional Police Officer, DPO of Kala Balge.

But the member House of representative (Kala Balge, Bama and Ngala) federal Constituency, Hon Zainab Gimba had earlier confirmed the incident to our Correspondent in Maiduguri said, “My people who are mostly Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, went outside their camps to scavenge for what they will eat.

“There were about 40 of them, and in the process, some armed Boko Haram terrorists ambushed them, the terrorists selected 35 of their victims, tight their hands and legs and shot all of them dead, while the other five who were freed are old women and children”. Gimba lamented.

In a related development, resilient hunters led by their Chairman, Mai Kyari stormed Boko Haram hideouts in Wanori village of Konduga Council area and killed two terrorists, with injuring about 20 others, after recovering their wheelbarrows used for looting foodstuff and livestock.

It was gathered that the insurgents have been terrorizing the community for a long time by looting their fruits such as mangoes, cashew and cassava tubers.

READ ALSO:

But acting on intelligence, the leader of the hunters in Wanori, Mallam Kyari notified the overall Chairman of Hunters in Borno, Mai Gana Mai Durma, who gave them the matching order to confront the terrorists.

According to Kyari, he mobilized his men to the hideouts of the terrorists and engaged them in a fierce battle which led to the successes recorded against the terrorists.

“We received credible information on the hideouts of Boko Haram sect who have been terrorizing our community in recent times, they usually invade and loot foodstuff and livestock.

“I quickly mobilized my team to their hideouts and we overwhelmed them by killing two of them and recovered 11 wheel Barrows they normally use in looting our properties and farm produce”. Kyari stated.

Meanwhile, the immediate past Commissioner for Intergovernmental Affairs and Special Duties to Governor Babagana Zulum, Engineer Kabir Mohammed Wanori who hail from the village (Wanori) have since visited the community for solidarity to the hunters, where he gave out some token as support to boost their morale in the fight against Boko Haram.

VANGUARD

metro

DSS storms ECWA Church, takes out 21 Muslim boys allegedly being forcefully converted to Christianity

Published

on

JOS – The Department of State Security (DSS) has raided a house located at JMDB quarters, in the Tudun Wada community of Jos North LGA of Plateau State, North-central Nigeria where the operatives rescued 21 young people, including almajirai, Daily Trust has reported.

The Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), while confirming the incident, said the rescued victims told the group during interrogation that they were forcefully brought to the house and converted to Christianity.

The General Secretary of the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), Rev. Yunusa Nmadu, said the house which was raided by the DSS was under the custody of the church but denied that it was used to convert people to Christianity, adding the claim should be discarded.

Daily Trust reports that the DSS raided the house on June 14, and recovered the victims, who were said to have been brought to Jos from another state.

The raid of the house, according to the JNI’s Director Aid Group Plateau State chapter, and Chief Security Officer, Jos Central Mosque, Danjuma Khalid, came after one of the victims, Abdulrahman Usaini, who escaped from the house, reported that they had been camped in the house for eight months.

Khalid said the DSS operatives raided the house following JNI’s report.

READ ALSO:

“On June 13, a group of people including Abdulrahman who ran away from the house met me here in the Central Mosque saying that they had come to report an issue regarding forceful adoption and conversion of their pupils to Christianity by ECWA Church in Jos.

“While narrating the incident, the escapee told me that he and one other, Nura Usama, were forcefully taken by some individuals in a Camry Toyota Car from Gombe, to ECWA headquarters, Jos, and after being documented, they were later taken to a house at Tudun Wada, where they were camped, and that he had ran away, leaving his brother, Nura at the house.

“On June 14, we reported the case to the DSS, Plateau State command, and the escapee narrated to the DSS how they were taken from Gombe to Jos and how he escaped from the house in Tudun Wada area. Immediately after we reported the matter, the DSS swung into action. The operatives of the command went to the house in Tudun Wada alongside the escapee, stormed the premises and rescued 21 children.”

He said when the victims were brought to the DSS State Command, two of the victims  – Abdulrahman Usaini and Nura Usama – were handed over to JNI, the uncle to Abdulrahman, and their teacher, while the remaining victims were left under the custody of the DSS until their parents or relatives were found.

Continue Reading

metro

NDLEA arrested some politicians in possession of illicit drugs

Published

on

NDLEA boss, Buba Marwa

Buba Marwa, chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), says officers of the agency arrested some politicians in possession of illicit drugs.

Marwa said this on Sunday when he featured on Channels Television’s ‘Hard Copy’.

The chairman said he was “somewhat disappointed” that the drive to have public officers undergo drug-tests before they assume office did not go through.

“But the idea is not original. We are promoting what is going on already in Kano state. In kano state, all politicians under the governor’s party, aspiring for an office, must first demonstrate in the screening process that they are drug negative and I’m in full support of that,” he said.

READ ALSO:

“We have arrested politicians who either are holding political office or have retired. Recently one of them was jailed in Lagos, he was trying to smuggle 1kg, maybe to use it to run for office.

“As you know, the cartels also participate in political institutions, they actually fund candidates into the various levels so that the correct laws (that favour them) are enacted.”

Speaking on the rehabilitation of drug users, the NDLEA chief said there is a dearth of rehab centres “and there are thousands if not millions of drug users who need help but there’s no where to go. And so they snuck back into their bedrooms and continue to take drugs”.

“Right now we have just 11 model rehab centres in the country which is very low. The Presidential Advisory Committee on Elimination of Drug Abuse (PACEDA) recommended that there should be about three centres per state looking at the prevalence and the federal government already through the ministry of health, has agreed to build one more rehab centre in every state,” he said.

THE CABLE

Continue Reading

metro

Surety docked for failing to produce brother in court

Published

on

A 28-year-old man, Innocent Okoloneli, who allegedly stood as surety for his brother and failed to produce him in court, was on Monday docked in a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Yaba, Lagos.

The police charged Okoloneli, who resides in Bariga area of Lagos, with attempt to pervert justice.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Prosecution Counsel, ASP Rita Momah, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on April 30, at the office of  the Deputy Commissioner of Police, State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti in Yaba, Lagos.

Momah said the defendant stood as a surety for his brother, Victor, who was facing a charge of obtaining by false pretences and theft.

She that while the matter was still being investigated by the police, the defendant willingly stood as a surety for his brother at the station.

READ ALSO:

She added that the defendant also signed an undertaking to produce his brother in court until the end of the case against him but failed to do so.

The offence, she said, contravenes the provisions of Section 97 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 97 provides seven years imprisonment for attempt to pervert justice.

Chief Magistrate Adeola Adedayo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N5million with two responsible sureties in like sum.

She held that the sureties must submit copies of their National Identification Number (NIN), and their Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA) card.

She further directed that both of them must be residing within the court’s jurisdiction and be gainfully employed with evidence of three years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

Adedayo adjourned the case until July 19 for mention.

EAGLE

Continue Reading

Trending