News
Buhari to ASUU: Return to class, we’ll meet your needs within available resources
President Muhammadu Buhari has again called on striking lecturers under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Universities to return to the classroom while assuring them to deal with their contending issues within the limits of the scarce resources available.
The President gave the explainer on Saturday in a broadcast to the nation on Nigeria’s 62nd independence anniversary.
He said he was pained by the recurring disruption to the nation’s tertiary education system.
According to him, the Federal Government will continue to mobilise resources, both internationally and nationally, towards funding education to ensure that citizens are well educated and skilled in various vocations.
He said: “I must confess that I am very pained by the recurring disruption to our tertiary education system.
“I am using this Independence Day celebration to re-iterate my call for the striking Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to return to the classroom while assuring them to deal with their contending issues within the limits of the scarce resources available.
READ ALSO:
- Oyetola, deputy not candidates in gov election –Court
- Tinubu Went To London Because They Won’t Allow Him Rest In Lagos, Abuja – APC Chieftain
- Burkina Faso army captain announces overthrow of military government
“This administration has made appreciable progress in redressing these issues that have been lingering for over eleven years.”
According to President Buhari, this is in view of the fact that education is a leading determinant of economic growth and employment generation.
He said: “As we put in place all measures to ensure that Nigeria takes her place in the Comity of Nations, we recognise the importance of a well-educated populace as a panacea to most of the challenges we face.
“We have, therefore, pursued policies and implemented programmes designed to create a literate and proficient society that ensures that citizens are availed with opportunities for life-long achievements.”
On health sector, the Nigerian leader revealed that his administration had also improved the nation’s health facilities, especially during and after the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He said this had attracted commendation of the global community.
Buhari said: “As you are aware, Nigeria was one of the countries that defied global predictions of the socio-economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic because of our resilience, commitment and passion with which we individually and collectively managed the pandemic.”
He also disclosed that his administration embarked on addressing critical ecological challenges across the country, to mitigate the impact of Climate Change manifesting in the form of flood, soil erosion, desertification, air pollution amongst others.
According to the President, the Federal Government will continue to ensure that the nation’s infrastructure drive remains the key to Nigeria’s economic growth and for which every Nigerian will feel the impact.
He said the Federal Government had already embarked on expanding ports operations to provide opportunities for the growth of the Nigerian economy.
He said: “We have also continued to accelerate our infrastructure development through serviceable and transparent borrowing, improved capital inflow and increased revenue generation.”
This, Buhari said, was being carried out by expanding the tax bases and prudent management of investment proceeds in the Sovereign Wealth Fund.
On transportation, Buhari stated that his administration had continued to boost the railway infrastructure to further open up communities to economic activities.
He said already a good number of critical railway projects had been completed and at the same time, rehabilitating and upgrading obsolete equipment.
Eagle
![]()
News
Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention
Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the restriction placed on a state government account.
Adeleke disclosed this in an interview with Channels Television on Sunday, shortly after he was declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election, saying he was no longer interested in pursuing the case following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.
The governor said Tinubu personally intervened in the matter and contacted him, adding that he considered the President’s intervention sufficient reason to discontinue the legal action.
“What else do I want? I’ve instructed my Attorney-General to drop it. Mr President has done well; he called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.
The dispute followed the decision by the EFCC to place a Post-No-Debit restriction on an Osun State Government account as part of an investigation into the alleged handling of about ₦11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account.
The anti-graft agency said its investigation had been ongoing since March 2026. It said the restriction became necessary after it detected what it described as the “precipitate and unwarranted movement of funds” from the account into several corporate entities.
The EFCC maintained that the restriction was connected to its investigation and was aimed at preventing further movement of funds while the probe continued.
READ ALSO:
- Osun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
- BREAKING: Edo Assembly leadership shake-up: Agbebaku out, Idaiyi emerges new Speaker
- Kebbi Woman Arrested for Allegedly Stealing Newborn to Deceive Husband
Adeleke had strongly opposed the action, directing the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to challenge the restriction in court.
The governor had described the EFCC’s action as unlawful and politically motivated, particularly because it occurred shortly before the Osun governorship election.
The legal dispute subsequently became a major point of contention between the Osun State Government and the anti-graft agency, with the state seeking judicial intervention over the restriction on its account.
However, Adeleke has now opted to discontinue the case after Tinubu’s intervention.
The governor also addressed reports concerning some of his aides who had been invited or detained by the EFCC in connection with the investigation.
He said his lawyers were engaging with the commission and had been directed to visit the agency to address the matter.
“Well, we are… we’ve been talking. I’ve been calling all my lawyers to go there,” Adeleke said.
The governor also questioned the decision to invite some of his aides, particularly his spokesperson, for questioning by the anti-graft agency.
“Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson to EFCC. Is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant? So I told him, ‘Go,’” he said.
Adeleke, however, said his aides had complied with the invitations because they had nothing to hide.
The governor further clarified that his renewed support for Tinubu should not be interpreted as an indication that he intends to return to the All Progressives Congress (APC).
When asked whether he would return to the APC, Adeleke said, “I’m not even thinking about it right now.”
He nevertheless stressed that remaining outside the APC would not prevent him from supporting Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
“But that doesn’t mean I can’t express my support… Mr President,” Adeleke said.
The governor, who previously contested political positions under the APC before moving to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and later the Accord Party, said his support for Tinubu was independent of his party affiliation.
Adeleke also alleged that some individuals had been using Tinubu’s name in connection with the EFCC matter without the President’s knowledge.
His comments came after he defeated the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, in Saturday’s governorship election to secure a second term as Osun governor.
According to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Adeleke polled 511,067 votes, while Oyebamiji secured 444,815 votes.
The governor’s decision to withdraw the lawsuit is expected to ease the immediate legal confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC, although the anti-graft agency’s investigation into the alleged handling of public funds remains a separate matter.
The development also comes at a significant political moment for Adeleke, who is preparing to begin his second term after another closely contested election in the state.
Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention
![]()
News
Adeleke unveils second-term plans, vows to transform Osun into industrial hub
Adeleke unveils second-term plans, vows to transform Osun into industrial hub
Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has unveiled his plans for his second term, promising to transform the state from a predominantly civil service state into an industrial and investment hub.
Adeleke made the disclosure during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme on Sunday, days after securing re-election in the August 15, 2026 Osun governorship election.
The governor said industrialisation would be one of the central priorities of his second administration, as he seeks to attract investors, create jobs and expand economic opportunities across the state.
“I am tired of hearing Osun State as a civil service state. I want to make sure I move it to an industrial state where investors will come in,” Adeleke said.
He identified the development of a free trade zone and the state’s industrialisation programme as key components of his strategy to attract businesses and stimulate economic growth.
Adeleke also listed the completion of the Osun airport project and further infrastructure development among the major priorities for his second term.
The governor expressed confidence that the projects would be completed within the next four years, adding that increasing interest from people returning to Osun and prospective investors indicated growing confidence in the state.
He said his ultimate ambition was to leave behind a legacy that would make Osun a reference point for other Nigerian states.
READ ALSO:
- WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
- Police to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
- NDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
“I would like to be remembered that when Governor Ademola Adeleke came as a governor, he left a legacy of making Osun State a reference point that other states can look up to,” he said.
Beyond economic development, Adeleke said his second term would focus on political reconciliation and inclusive governance following a highly contested election.
The governor said he would establish a reconciliation committee to bring political actors and residents together and create an avenue for people across party lines to contribute ideas to the development of Osun.
He extended a “hand of fellowship” to his former opponent, Bola Oyebamiji, saying he was prepared to consider any useful proposals from the APC candidate.
“If you have any ideas, put them on the table. If the idea is good, I am going to utilise it,” Adeleke said.
The governor also expressed willingness to work with Oyebamiji and former governor Gboyega Oyetola, despite their membership of the All Progressives Congress (APC), where such cooperation would benefit Osun and support the administration of President Bola Tinubu.
Adeleke further declared his support for President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 re-election bid, saying he would “go all out” for the President.
He denied having any agreement with Tinubu linked to the Osun governorship election, insisting that his decision to support the President was based on his own political considerations.
Adeleke said he also wanted the Federal Government to sustain infrastructure development in the South-West, particularly the rehabilitation and construction of federal roads linking the region to other parts of Nigeria.
The governor ruled out returning to the APC, saying such a move was not part of his current political plans.
“As I’m talking to you, I’m not even thinking about that. It’s not on my agenda. But that doesn’t mean that I cannot support Mr President,” he said.
Adeleke also said he had directed the Osun State Attorney-General to withdraw a legal matter involving the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), describing the decision as part of efforts to reduce political tensions.
He said President Tinubu’s personal intervention had helped ease some of the tensions between the state government and the Federal Government.
On allegations that some of his associates were being detained or questioned by the EFCC, Adeleke said his lawyers had been instructed to intervene.
He maintained that his associates had nothing to hide but criticised what he described as continued questioning and intimidation.
The governor also defended his public image as a politician known for dancing, saying dancing was simply his hobby and did not interfere with his responsibilities as governor.
“My hobby is dancing. I have loved dancing right from when I was little, so that doesn’t stop me from doing my job. And my job speaks for itself,” he said.
Adeleke attributed his re-election victory to the confidence voters had developed in his administration, saying he had fulfilled many of the promises made during his first campaign.
“Of all the things that I promised them I would do, I kept my promises. I have been tested and trusted,” he said.
The governor also called for peace following the political tension and violence reported in parts of Osun ahead of the election.
He said he instructed his supporters not to retaliate when campaign materials were destroyed, arguing that political differences should not be allowed to damage the state’s social fabric.
“I’m a very peaceful person. I told my people that they should not retaliate. They destroyed my posters all over. I told my people not to touch their people. Just leave them alone,” Adeleke said.
He added that political power ultimately belonged to the people and should not be pursued through intimidation or violence.
Adeleke also embraced the “Bulldozer” nickname associated with his campaign, saying it reflected his political strength and ability to overcome obstacles.
Asked whom he would thank for his election victory, the governor credited God, recalling that he also emerged victorious in the 2022 election.
“I have a God that never fails. I praise Him all the time,” he said.
With his second term secured, Adeleke now faces the challenge of turning his promises into measurable results, particularly in industrialisation, infrastructure, investment, job creation and economic development.
His pledge to move Osun beyond its traditional civil service identity and establish it as an industrial and investment destination is expected to be a defining test of his second administration.
Adeleke unveils second-term plans, vows to transform Osun into industrial hub
![]()
News
2027 Hajj: NAHCON Announces N7.5m–N7.8m Fares, Sets September 26 Biometric Deadline
-
Sports1 day agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Humiliates Aregbesola, Wins His Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election
-
metro1 day agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics2 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Atiku’s suit seeking Tinubu’s disqualification meets deadline, faces procedural hurdle
