metro
Court orders final forfeiture of $7m abandoned in commercial bank
Court orders final forfeiture of $7m abandoned in commercial bank
A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued an order of final forfeiture over $7,000,000.00 in cash abandoned in a branch of a commercial bank at No. 114 Adeola Odeku Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, by individuals said to be unknown.
Justice Emeka Nwite issued the order yesterday while ruling on an application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and moved by Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN).
Oyedepo recalled that the court had issued an interim forfeiture order on August 27 in the case and directed the applicant to publish the order in any widely circulated newspaper.
He said the EFCC complied with the order on September 1, adding that since then, no one had come forward to claim the money, which informed the filing of the application for the final forfeiture.
Oyedepo prayed the court to grant the prayer as contained in the application for final forfeiture.
A lawyer, who announced his appearance for an interested party, Darlington Ozurumba, told the court that he was not objecting to the court granting the application.
When the case last came up on September 12, a lawyer, Gbenga Femi Akande, who said he was appearing for an unnamed interested party, promised to file a count-affidavit yesterday to oppose the application for the final forfeiture.
But he was absent from yesterday’s proceedings and failed to file the document he promised to file.
Ruling, Justice Nwite said since the application was not opposed by anyone, there was no reason for the court to reject it.
The judge granted it and ordered that the funds be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.
READ ALSO:
- Man City sack bar worker for wearing Man United shirt during derby
- Atiku desperate for power, now irrelevant, says APC spokesman
- $4.5bn fraud: Court grants Emefiele approval for phone’s forensic examination
In a supporting affidavit attached to the application, the EFCC gave details of how its investigators, acting on credible intelligence, discovered the money and recovered it in full.
The deponent, an operative of the commission, said the investigation stated that funds were conveyed to the bank under suspicious circumstances between March 25 and 26.
The operative, who said he was part of the team that covered the case, explained that the funds were handed over to the Cash Officer of the bank, Agba Emmanuel Fortune, in tranches.
The EFCC operative added: “The said sum was not credited to any known customer’s account of the bank, but rather surreptitiously kept in the bank’s vault.
“Agba Emmanuel Fortune was interviewed by my team, wherein he confessed that Sulieman Sani and Idris Ahmed Olatunji walked into the bank with the funds totalling $7,000,000.00 in raw cash and handed the same to him.
“Suleiman Sani was found and discovered through the platform of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to be Fagge Sani Sanusi.
“Fagge Sani Sanusi was interviewed by my team, and his extrajudicial statement was voluntarily obtained.
“Agba Emmanuel Fortune informed my team that it was Ifeoma Delphine Nwogbo, the Relationship Officer of the bank, who had the information as to the ownership of the funds.
“My team interviewed and voluntarily obtained the extrajudicial statement of Agba Emmanuel Fortune.
“My team equally interviewed and obtained a voluntary extrajudicial statement of Ifeoma Delphine Nwogbo, the Relationship Officer of the bank.
READ ALSO:
- FG allocates portfolios to 5 directors of North Central Development Commission
- Why Gbajabiamila lied to Tinubu that I was dead – APC chieftain
- Breaking: Dangote celebrates one year of starting petrol refining in Nigeria, begins CNG trucks roll-out
“According to Ifeoma Delphine Nwogbo, the funds were brought to the bank for and on behalf of the managing director of a company.
“My team interviewed the managing director of the company in respect of the sum of $7,000,000.00, who insisted that she did not take any $7,000,000.00 to the bank.
“My team was equally informed by the management director of the company that she took a loan of $7,000,000.00 from the bank, which she is yet to pay back to the bank.
“The bank did not file a Suspicious Transaction Report (STR) to the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) in respect of this transaction.
“The funds sought to be forfeited are reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activity, as they did not represent known, provable, and legitimate income of either the company, the couriers, or three officials of the bank.
“The entire $7,000,000.00 sought to be forfeited has been recovered by my team from the bank in raw cash and taken to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for safekeeping.
“The funds sought to be forfeited are also reasonably suspected to have been abandoned, as nobody came forward to claim the funds from the bank or the commission that recovered the same.”
Court orders final forfeiture of $7m abandoned in commercial bank
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Politics1 day agoDavido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
-
metro3 days agoFrom Pulpit to Ifá Shrine: Ex-Pastor Exposes ‘Deceit’ in Christianity, Embraces Yoruba Tradition
