News
EFCC grills more celebrities over naira abuse, recovers huge funds from ministry
EFCC grills more celebrities over naira abuse, recovers huge funds from ministry
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Sunday said it has so far recovered N32.7 billion and $445,000 from the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development.
The anti-graft agency, in a statement titled: ‘Setting the Records Straight on Investigations of Humanitarian Ministry’, said the monies were recovered from past and suspended officials of the ministry and others.
While saying it has not cleared any individual of fraud allegations, the EFCC said it has also expanded investigations into fraudulent dealings involving COVID-19 funds, the World Bank loan, and Abacha recovered loot released to the Ministry by the Federal Government to execute its poverty alleviation mandate.
On Naira abuse, the EFCC said it is investigating several celebrities involved in the act, adding that many of them have made useful statements to the Commission.
Newstrends reports that cross-dresser, Idris Okuneye, also known as Bobrisky, was jailed a few days ago by Lagos Court for Naira abuse.
The EFCC statement reads in full : “The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has noticed the rising tide of commentaries, opinions, assumptions and insinuations concerning its progressive investigations into the alleged financial misappropriation in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.
READ ALSO:
- Zaria prominent district head dies after participating in Sallah durbar
- Bayer Leverkusen win Bundesliga with five games to spare
- Yoruba Nation: Heavy security presence at Osun secretariat, Assembly over fear of invasion
At the outset of investigations, past and suspended officials of the Humanitarian Ministry were invited by the Commission and investigations into the alleged fraud involving them have yielded the recovery of N32.7billion and $445,000 so far.
Discreet investigations by the EFCC have opened other fraudulent dealings involving Covid -19 funds, the World Bank loan, Abacha recovered loot released to the Ministry by the Federal Government to execute its poverty alleviation mandate. Investigations have also linked several interdicted and suspended officials of the Ministry to the alleged financial malfeasance.
It is instructive to stress that the Commission’s investigations are not about individuals. The EFCC is investigating a system and intricate web of fraudulent practices. Banks involved in the alleged fraud are being investigated. Managing Directors of the indicted banks have made useful statements to investigators digging into the infractions. Those found wanting will be prosecuted accordingly. Additionally, the EFCC has not cleared anyone allegedly involved in the fraud. Investigations are ongoing and advancing steadily. The public is enjoined to ignore any claim to the contrary.
On the issue of the works of the Commission against Naira abuse, dollarization of the economy and the enforcement of all extant laws relating to them, the EFCC appreciates the avalanche of public awakening, support and involvement demonstrated so far.
Increasingly, members of the public are drawing the attention of the Commission to video recording of abuse of the Naira by Nigerians from all walks of life. These gestures amply demonstrate rising consciousness of the public to the sanctity of our national currency and the need for collaborative engagement to sustain the tempo.
To this end, the Commission will always investigate and prosecute anyone involved in the abuse of the Naira. Old videos being exhumed and flying around for the attention of the Commission are noted as the Commission is sensitive to the fact that its Special Task Force against Naira Abuse and Dollarization of the economy commenced operations on February 7, 2024. However, going forward, new videos of such infractions will be investigated and prosecuted.
At the moment, the Commission is investigating several celebrities involved in Naira abuse. Many of them have made useful statements to the Commission and many more have been invited by investigators working on the matter. The EFCC will not relent in its no-sacred-cow mode of operations and the public should be wary of running afoul of laws against the crime.”
EFCC grills more celebrities over naira abuse, recovers huge funds from ministry
News
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing
The University of Abuja (UniAbuja) has confirmed that 100-level student Sadiya Usman has been found safe after being reported missing earlier this week. The university expressed relief and gratitude to the public and security agencies for their assistance in locating the student.
Sadiya Usman, who is enrolled in the Department of Accounting, was last seen leaving her residence at Kontagora Estate, Gwagwalada, Abuja, on Tuesday, 18 February 2026, at around 8:00 a.m. She was on her way to the university’s Main Campus to sit for her Computer-Based Test (GST 111) but did not arrive for the exam.
READ ALSO:
- Lassa Fever Deaths in Nigeria Rise to 51 After 15 Killed in Early February – NCDC
- Mob Kills Injured Motorcycle Rider After AK‑47 Rifles, Ammunition Found in Crash Scene
- Tacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication
After her disappearance, her guardian reported her missing when all attempts to reach her by phone were unsuccessful. The university promptly activated internal safety protocols and collaborated with security agencies, campus authorities, and the public to ensure her safe recovery.
The student was eventually located late on Thursday, 20 February 2026, around 11:49 p.m., and is reported to be safe, unhurt, and in stable condition. Authorities confirmed that coordinated efforts between the university, law enforcement, and concerned members of the public were instrumental in her recovery.
The university reaffirmed its commitment to student safety and welfare, promising continuous updates as necessary. It also thanked those who responded to the public appeal for information and urged students and parents to remain vigilant about safety.
This incident highlights the importance of campus security measures, timely reporting of missing persons, and the role of community involvement in safeguarding students.
UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing
News
Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed plans to arrest and prosecute TikTok user Mirabel after she admitted that her viral rape allegation was false, authorities and investigative reports indicate.
Mirabel, a social media influencer, first sparked national attention after posting videos alleging she had been sexually assaulted in her home in Ogijo, Ogun State. The posts quickly went viral, drawing widespread outrage, calls for justice, and prompting the police to launch an immediate investigation.
An audio recording of a phone conversation, shared online by social media personality VeryDarkMan (VDM), reportedly captures Mirabel acknowledging that parts of her story were fabricated. In the recording, she apologises and admits creating a threatening TikTok account to support her narrative, claiming she had been taking drugs at the time and “was not thinking clearly” when posting the videos.
READ ALSO:
- Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
- Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
A police source said senior officers, including the Divisional Police Officer, were at the hospital where Mirabel was receiving medical care. Once she is discharged, she will be taken into custody and formally charged under provisions of Nigeria’s Criminal Code relating to false reporting of sexual offenses. “The essence is to serve as a deterrent to others,” the source added.
The Ogun State Police had earlier ensured that Mirabel received medical treatment and support, following procedures to protect her health while the investigation continued. The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed that the incident fell outside its jurisdiction and forwarded all relevant information to the Ogun authorities.
This development has sparked public debate about the responsible use of social media, the impact of false allegations, and the importance of evidence-based reporting. Legal experts warn that fabricating sexual assault claims can carry serious criminal penalties and may undermine the credibility of genuine victims.
Authorities continue to urge the public to avoid spreading unverified claims and to cooperate with law enforcement in ongoing investigations. Updates on the case will be issued by the Ogun State Police Command as formal legal proceedings begin.
News
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
President Bola Tinubu has commenced a strategic expansion of Nigeria’s defence diplomacy, engaging the European Union (EU) and Turkey to strengthen the nation’s security architecture while reducing overreliance on the United States. The initiative comes as Nigeria faces multiple security threats, including Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east, farmer-herder clashes in the north-central region, separatist violence in the south-east, and escalating banditry in the north-west.
The move coincided with a visit to Brussels by National Security Adviser Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, who led discussions at the first EU-Nigeria Peace, Security, and Defence Dialogue. Both sides agreed to deepen collaboration on regional stability, counter-terrorism, and violent extremism, while enhancing intelligence sharing, maritime security, and cybersecurity cooperation. An EU diplomat in Abuja emphasized that the bloc would provide non-lethal military support, while respecting Nigeria’s sovereignty, describing the EU as “more consistent, more reliable, and more coherent than the United States” in delivering security assistance.
READ ALSO:
- Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
- Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
During his state visit to Turkey in January 2026, President Tinubu also held defence discussions with Turkish officials. Turkish companies pledged to supply military equipment, advanced systems, and tactical hardware, while exploring joint local production arrangements with Nigeria. Türkiye is currently regarded as a global leader in armed drones, which could bolster Nigeria’s counter-terrorism operations and reconnaissance capabilities.
Despite these new partnerships, Nigeria continues security cooperation with the United States, including deployments by United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) to support training, intelligence sharing, and operational planning. Recent U.S. personnel arrivals in Bauchi State aim to enhance counter-terrorism capacity without taking direct combat roles, operating under Nigerian command structures.
Analysts say Nigeria’s diversified defence diplomacy seeks to reduce dependency on a single partner, while providing access to a wider range of technology transfer, training opportunities, procurement options, and operational expertise. The strategy also reflects a broader trend of African nations balancing traditional defence alliances with emerging strategic partners to better address evolving security threats.
With regional instability and domestic insurgency on the rise, Nigeria’s engagement with Turkey, the EU, and other partners is expected to strengthen the Nigerian Armed Forces, enhance counter-terrorism operations, and secure national and regional stability.
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
-
International1 day agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
News14 hours agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Politics7 hours agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Entertainment2 days agoActress Destiny Etiko Breaks Silence on Alleged Nollywood Betrayal
-
metro1 day agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
International16 hours agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis


