FCT Polls: S'Court, A'Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities

Published

on

Supreme Court

FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities

The Supreme Court of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal Nigeria on Friday continued judicial activities despite a public holiday declared by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike ahead of the FCT Area Council elections in Abuja.

At the apex court, Justices heard cases earlier fixed for hearing, while panels of the Court of Appeal delivered rulings and judgments in several matters, including commercial and contract disputes. Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) and other lawyers were present in court, underscoring the independence of the judiciary despite the declared holiday.

In contrast, judicial activities at lower courts in the FCT were largely paralysed. The FCT High Court fully complied with the public holiday directive and shut down operations. Meanwhile, courtrooms at the Federal High Court near the Ministry of Justice headquarters were opened, but no judges sat, leaving matters unattended.

READ ALSO:

Wike had earlier declared Friday a work-free day in the Federal Capital Territory to allow residents participate in the Area Council elections scheduled for Saturday. The declaration was accompanied by a restriction of movement, which authorities said was aimed at ensuring security and orderly conduct of the polls.

However, the decision triggered strong criticism from civil society organisations, who described it as arbitrary, disruptive and lacking legal precedent. The Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre (PLAC) said no clear legal or administrative justification was provided for what it termed a sweeping shutdown of Abuja.

In a statement signed by PLAC Executive Director Clement Nwankwo, the organisation acknowledged that encouraging voter participation is legitimate but stressed that governance actions must remain lawful, proportionate and consultative.

PLAC added that the sudden public holiday disrupted businesses, schools and workplaces across the FCT, affecting students, workers and entrepreneurs, and creating what it described as avoidable anxiety rather than confidence in the electoral process.

The development has renewed debate over the limits of executive authority, the autonomy of the judiciary, and the need for transparent decision-making during elections in Nigeria.

FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities

metro

Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument

Published

on

Rivers State police spokesperson Grace Iringe-Koko
Rivers State police spokesperson Grace Iringe-Koko

Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument

A tragedy occurred in Amaji Village, Umuoyoro Community, Omuma Local Government Area, Rivers State, when a man allegedly slit his wife’s throat during an argument on Thursday, February 19, 2026. The victim, a mother of two, reportedly died from a deep cut inflicted by her husband while they were at their farm, sources said.

According to witnesses, a domestic dispute escalated into violence after the suspect, identified as Mr. Abuchi, reportedly grabbed a kitchen knife and attacked his wife. Her screams attracted nearby villagers, who rushed to the scene, overpowered the suspect, and handed him over to the Rivers State Police Command.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), CSP Grace Iringe‑Koko, confirmed the arrest of the suspect and said the Commissioner of Police has ordered a detailed investigation to ensure timely justice.

READ ALSO:

Yes, I can confirm the incident. The suspect has been arrested and a thorough investigation is ongoing to ensure justice is served,” she stated.

The incident has drawn condemnation from the Centre for Basic Rights and Accountability Campaign (CBRAC), which described the killing as the height of man’s inhumanity to man. The group called on the police to conduct a transparent investigation and ensure that justice is both served and seen to be served.

Prince Wiro, National Coordinator of CBRAC, said, “There is no justification for anyone to take another person’s life. This is a clear case of murder, and the Rivers State Police Command must ensure accountability.”

Residents of Amaji Village remain shocked and grieving, while community leaders urge peaceful resolution of disputes and enhanced measures to prevent domestic violence.

The case highlights the ongoing risks of domestic violence in Nigeria and the critical role of law enforcement and community awareness in protecting vulnerable family members.

Man Arrested for Slitting Wife’s Throat During Farm Argument

Continue Reading

metro

Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack

Published

on

Armed Bandits

Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack

At least 30 people have been killed and several others abducted following a late-night attack by armed bandits on Dutsin Dan Ajiya village in Anka Local Government Area, Zamfara State. The assault occurred on Thursday, February 19, 2026, when gunmen on motorcycles surrounded the community, blocked all exits, and opened fire on residents, witnesses said.

Eyewitnesses reported that the attackers stormed homes, shot indiscriminately, and kidnapped villagers, leaving many unaccounted for. Bodies were reportedly recovered early Friday morning, while several abducted residents were taken into nearby forests, according to local sources.

READ ALSO:

The attack comes just two days after the Zamfara State Government unveiled new security hardware, including drones and armoured vehicles, as part of ongoing efforts to combat banditry and rural violence. Despite these measures, the fresh raid highlights the persistent insecurity in Zamfara State, where bandit attacks, kidnappings, and property destruction have become recurring threats.

This incident follows a similar deadly raid in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi State, where at least 33 people were reportedly killed, underscoring the escalating insecurity across northwest Nigeria.

Attempts to obtain an official statement from the Zamfara State Police Command were unsuccessful as of press time. Security experts and residents are calling for urgent government and military intervention to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further bloodshed.

The latest attack is a grim reminder of the challenges facing rural communities in northwest Nigeria, where armed bandits continue to operate with impunity, threatening public safety, livelihoods, and social stability.

Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack

Continue Reading

metro

Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder

Published

on

Ondo State Governor, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa

Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder

President Bola Tinubu has summoned Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa to Abuja following deadly violence during the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congresses in Ondo State, which reportedly claimed four lives in Idanre and Akure North local government areas.

The President was said to be deeply disturbed by the killings, which occurred during what was expected to be a routine APC ward congress, especially in a state firmly controlled by the ruling party.

A senior government source in Akure disclosed that Governor Aiyedatiwa travelled to Abuja on Thursday after receiving the summons, following a series of security reports submitted to the Presidency detailing the violence that erupted during the APC congresses in Ondo State.

According to the source, the governor had earlier lined up activities to mark his one-year anniversary in office, but was forced to scale down the programme due to the presidential invitation.

The governor reportedly left Akure shortly after inaugurating the Igoba and Alagbaka Extension roads, without waiting for the commissioning of the 100,000-litre water supply project at the Federal University of Technology Akure Teaching Hospital (FUTATH) complex. His deputy, Dr. Olayide Adelami, represented him at other anniversary events.

READ ALSO:

The source revealed that the summons was issued late Wednesday night, following the President’s review of multiple intelligence briefings.

President Tinubu is said to be very angry over the Ondo killings and wants a clear explanation of what went wrong, particularly as the violence occurred within the APC, where there is no strong opposition,” the source said.

While it could not be independently confirmed if the governor met with the President, Aiyedatiwa was said to have returned to Akure later on Thursday, having been in Abuja ahead of a meeting expected on Friday.


Security Tension Deepens as Traditional Ruler Is Killed

Meanwhile, the security crisis in Ondo State worsened following the killing of the traditional ruler of Agamo Town, Oba Kehinde Jacob Faledun, who was murdered by suspected gunmen inside his palace on February 18, 2026, at about 7:10 p.m.

The killing triggered widespread fear and condemnation, prompting a swift response from security agencies.

The Ondo State Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Lawal, led a high-powered security delegation—including the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and the Department of State Services (DSS)—to the community.

Lawal assured residents that the police and military would track down the killers, stressing that justice would be served.

Preliminary investigations revealed that about six masked gunmen allegedly stormed the monarch’s residence, forcibly abducted him, and attacked him violently, leading to his death.

The Commissioner confirmed the deployment of additional security personnel, including tactical teams and operational assets, to Agamo and neighbouring communities, urging residents to provide credible intelligence to aid investigations.

He reassured the people of Ondo State that security agencies would continue to work together to restore peace, maintain stability, and protect lives and property.

Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending