Health
FG to quarantine passengers from China amid virus surge
FG to quarantine passengers from China amid virus surge
The Federal Government says it will implement surveillance measures including quarantining air passengers coming into Nigeria from China, following a surge in respiratory virus cases attributed to the Human Metapneumovirus (HMPV).
This, according to a PUNCH report, is in response to reports of overcrowded hospitals, emergency interventions, and growing public concern in China, where HMPV cases have spiked across northern provinces, particularly affecting children during the winter season.
The Nigerian authorities aim to monitor the situation closely to prevent potential spread within the country.
Neighbouring nations such as Cambodia, Taiwan, and Hong Kong are also taking precautionary measures, though they have reported only a few cases and no widespread outbreaks.
Health experts describe HMPV as a respiratory virus that can cause symptoms ranging from mild cold-like issues to severe complications, especially in children, the elderly, and those with low immune systems.
According to Chinese authorities, there has been a noticeable increase in HMPV cases, especially among children under 14 years old in northern parts of the country.
Social media posts, accompanied by videos of overcrowded hospitals, have raised fears of a larger-scale health crisis.
In response to the rising cases, the Chinese government announced measures, including constant monitoring of cases, the adoption of masks, social distancing and disinfection of public spaces to curb the increase of the virus.
READ ALSO:
- Delta resident stabs man to death for insulting his mother
- Ukraine launches new offensive in Russia’s Kursk
- El-Rufai speaks on report of defection to PDP
The new virus outbreak is coming five years after the emergence of coronavirus – COVID-19 – in Wuhan, China, which was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation on March 11, 2020.
So far, COVID-19 has infected 777 million people globally and killed over seven million, according to WHO.
However, while both HMPV and COVID-19 are respiratory illnesses, there are important differences.
HMPV typically causes milder symptoms such as a cold or flu, while COVID-19, caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, can lead to more severe health complications and long-term effects.
HMPV is also a seasonal virus, similar to other cold-causing pathogens like RSV, and infections usually peak during the winter months.
HMPV, like COVID-19, spreads through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes and it can also spread via contaminated surfaces.
However, officials from the National Health Commission stated that while respiratory diseases are expected to rise during the winter months, the overall situation this year is less severe than last year.
Beijing also downplayed the developments as an annual winter occurrence.
China’s foreign ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said on Friday, “Respiratory infections tend to peak during the winter season.
“The diseases appear to be less severe and spread with a smaller scale compared to the previous year,” she said.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said HMPV could cause upper and lower respiratory diseases in people of all ages, especially among young children, older adults and people with weakened immune systems.
READ ALSO:
- Delta Gov Oborevwori under fire for hobnobbing with APC
- Why Fubara can do business with three lawmakers – Court
- As Hamas, Israel quarrel over talks, Israeli intensifies strikes in Gaza
The US CDC noted that HMPV is most likely spread from an infected person to others through secretions from coughing and sneezing, close personal contact and touching objects or surfaces that have the viruses on them, then touching the mouth, nose or eyes.
“Symptoms commonly associated with HMPV include cough, fever, nasal congestion and shortness of breath. Clinical symptoms of HMPV infection may progress to bronchitis or pneumonia and are similar to other viruses that cause upper and lower respiratory infections.
“The estimated incubation period is three to six days, and the median duration of illness can vary, depending upon severity but is similar to other respiratory infections caused by viruses,” the US CDC stated.
Meanwhile, health authorities in Nigeria are already implementing emergency measures to monitor and manage the spread of the HMPV.
The Director, Special Duties, Office of the Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr John Oladejo, told The PUNCH on Sunday that the Federal Government would implement preventive measures by activating surveillance measures to curb the spread of the virus.
“The FG will activate surveillance measures, like quarantine, for passengers coming in from China,” Oladejo said.
Earlier in November 2024, global health body WHO noted that it was closely monitoring the situation and was in close contact with national authorities in China, adding that it would continue to provide updates as warranted.
READ ALSO:
- WAEC announces resit exams for candidates from Jan/Feb 2025
- Hamas lists 34 hostages it may free under ceasefire
- Bandits demand N10m ransom to release abducted Kogi varsity lecturer
“WHO advises against the application of any travel or trade restrictions based on the current information available on this event,” the body added.
First detected in Pakistan in 2001, the HMPV has caused several outbreaks over the years in the Asian nation, primarily affecting children, but the virus is new to Africa as there haven’t been reported cases on the continent.
“Human Metapneumovirus was first identified in Pakistan in 2001, and outbreaks have been reported since then,” an official at the National Institute of Health, Islamabad, said.
“In 2015, a study conducted at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences found 21 cases of HMPV in children hospitalised with severe lower respiratory tract infections.”
Meanwhile, medical experts have stated that implementing surveillance measures against the virus was a crucial and appropriate step in ensuring that it doesn’t spread to the country.
They emphasised that surveillance should be an ongoing process carried out continuously by the government.
A virologist at the Department of Virology, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Dr Moses Adewumi said, “On good day, surveillance should always be part of us. What happens most times is that despite the amount that was voted for COVID-19, we seem to have relaxed. Our people are more interested in spending the money, and after that, we probably decide to go to sleep. So, the surveillance should be a continuous thing.
“It is good that we increase our surveillance for people coming into the country, especially from China, Japan and other places, where we have the outbreaks. The government should be more involved in surveillance because most of the surveillance and all the research we do is funded by foreign bodies, so our own government should be more interested in research, in surveillance for all these viruses.
“The virus is not new but the surge may be because there is a different variant, and that is why we need to increase our surveillance and monitor it closely to curtail its introduction into the country. Experience has taught us that if we check now, we may have our people with antibodies already, and that’s a confirmation that it’s likely that this is circulating here, maybe not the exact variants that they have now.”
Also, an Associate Professor of Infectious Diseases and Genomics in the Department of Microbiology at the Adeleke University, Osun State, Oladipo Kolawole, noted that the decision by the government to implement surveillance measures was a good one, adding that it aimed to monitor and control the potential spread of the virus, ensuring public health safety as the situation developed.
Kolawole said, “The government is likely to enhance screening processes at points of entry and provide guidelines for travellers from China, this is to mitigate risks associated with HMPV.
“Activating surveillance allows for the early detection of cases, which is essential in managing outbreaks effectively.
“Monitoring travellers from regions experiencing outbreaks can help identify and isolate cases before they spread within the community.
“Also, quarantine for inbound passengers from the affected regions can significantly reduce the risk of transmission.
“It serves as a precautionary measure to ensure that individuals who may be infected do not unknowingly spread the virus to others. Finally, this situation underscores the importance of preparedness in public health systems.”
FG to quarantine passengers from China amid virus surge
(Punch)
Health
Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
Staying hydrated during Ramadan is essential for maintaining energy, focus, and overall well-being while observing long hours of fasting. Health experts warn that poor hydration can lead to fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and reduced concentration. Below are six essential, numbered tips to help you stay properly hydrated throughout the holy month:
1. Drink Enough Water Between Iftar and Suhoor
Ensure you consume 6–8 glasses of water between Iftar and Suhoor. Spread your intake gradually instead of drinking large amounts at once, allowing your body to absorb fluids effectively.
2. Break Your Fast With Water
Start Iftar with water to quickly replace fluids lost during the day and prepare your digestive system for food. Avoid sugary or carbonated drinks at this stage, as they can increase thirst later.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu Urges Senate to Confirm Yusuf for NAHCON, Marafa for INEC
- Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League
- Vinicius Jr’s Wonder Goal Gives Real Madrid Victory Over Benfica
3. Eat Water-Rich Foods
Include fruits and vegetables with high water content, such as watermelon, oranges, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and soups. These foods support hydration while providing essential nutrients.
4. Reduce Salty, Spicy, and Fried Foods
Limit foods high in salt, oil, and spices, especially at Suhoor, as they increase thirst and can cause dehydration during fasting hours.
5. Limit Caffeine Intake
Reduce consumption of coffee, tea, and energy drinks, as caffeine has a diuretic effect that causes the body to lose more fluids. If taken, balance it with extra water.
6. Never Skip Suhoor
Suhoor plays a crucial role in hydration and energy. Eat a balanced pre-dawn meal that includes water, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein to help sustain you throughout the day.
Maintaining proper hydration during Ramadan fasting helps support digestion, boosts energy levels, and keeps the body functioning optimally throughout the holy month.
Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
Health
NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban
NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban
Members of the National Union of Food, Beverage and Tobacco Employees (NUFBTE) on Thursday staged a protest at the NAFDAC office in Isolo, Lagos, demanding the reversal of the agency’s ban on sachet and PET-bottled alcoholic beverages. The union claims the ban contradicts a directive reportedly issued by the Federal Government, and they want production lines that were sealed to be immediately reopened.
The protesters, including manufacturers, distributors, and industry workers, argued that the enforcement of the ban threatens jobs, livelihoods, and the operations of small and medium-sized enterprises that rely on sachet alcohol sales. During the demonstration, union members handed a petition to NAFDAC officials, urging dialogue and a more balanced approach that safeguards both public health and the food and beverage sector.
NUFBTE cited alleged instructions from the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Office of the National Security Adviser, claiming that NAFDAC should suspend enforcement. The union said continued closure of production lines and restriction of alcohol sales would lead to economic hardship and widespread job losses.
READ ALSO:
- Naira Could Trade Below ₦1,000/$ With Dangote Refinery at Full Capacity — Otedola
- Adeyanju Urges EFCC, DSS to Probe El-Rufai Over Alleged Corruption, Insecurity in Kaduna
- Granite-Laden Truck Kills Motorist, Leaves Wife Critically Injured in Lekki–Ajah Crash
However, NAFDAC rejected the claims, with Director-General Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye stating that no federal directive has instructed the agency to halt the ban. In a statement, the regulator described circulating reports as “false” and “misleading,” emphasizing that its actions are within statutory authority and in line with official government policies.
“NAFDAC has not received any formal directive to suspend its regulatory or enforcement activities concerning sachet alcohol,” the statement read. The agency reiterated its commitment to public health protection, regulatory compliance, and consumer safety, warning the public and industry stakeholders to rely on verified information from official channels.
The ban, implemented earlier this month, targets alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and containers smaller than 200ml, a measure aimed at reducing unregulated alcohol consumption and protecting vulnerable groups. While the policy has faced backlash from workers and businesses, NAFDAC maintains that it is necessary for national health and safety.
The protest underscores the tension between regulatory enforcement and economic concerns, as workers continue to call for inclusive policymaking and engagement with industry stakeholders to mitigate the impact on jobs and local businesses.
NUFBTE Workers Occupy NAFDAC Lagos Office Over Sachet Alcohol Ban
Health
NAFDAC Clarifies: No Government Directive to Halt Sachet Alcohol Enforcement
NAFDAC Clarifies: No Government Directive to Halt Sachet Alcohol Enforcement
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has dismissed reports claiming that the Federal Government ordered a suspension of its enforcement activities against sachet alcohol and 200ml PET bottle alcoholic beverages, describing the reports as “false and misleading.”
In a statement signed by its Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, the agency clarified that it has not received any formal communication from the Federal Government instructing it to halt regulatory or enforcement operations. NAFDAC stressed that all its actions are carried out within its statutory mandate and guided by existing laws and official government directives.
“The said publication is false, misleading, and does not reflect any official communication received by the Agency from the Federal Government,” the statement read. Prof. Adeyeye reiterated that enforcement of regulations on sachet alcohol remains active and any changes to national regulatory policies would be officially communicated through authorised channels.
READ ALSO:
- Suspected IED Explosion Rocks Bayelsa Secretariat, Police Arrest Suspect
- Regina Daniels Shares Emotional Message on Children’s Welfare Amid Custody Battle
- Electricity Workers Serve 21-Day Nationwide Strike Notice to FG
NAFDAC warned that the spread of unverified information can cause public confusion, economic uncertainty, and misinterpretation of government policy. The agency urged the public, industry stakeholders, and the media to rely only on verified information released via its official platforms and government communication channels.
The clarification comes amid ongoing concerns over the public health risks of sachet alcohol, which has been associated with poisoning incidents and misuse, particularly among young people. NAFDAC reiterated its commitment to protecting public health, ensuring compliance in the food and beverage sector, and maintaining national interest while carrying out its regulatory duties.
The agency’s statement underscores that all enforcement operations targeting unsafe alcohol products will continue without interruption, aiming to safeguard consumers and uphold public safety.
NAFDAC Clarifies: No Government Directive to Halt Sachet Alcohol Enforcement
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International10 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


