Group tackles Natasha over call for drug test on senators - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Group tackles Natasha over call for drug test on senators

Published

on

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

Group tackles Natasha over call for drug test on senators

Some indigenes of Kogi West Senatorial District on Sunday, rose in defence of their senator, Sunday Karimi over the verbal tirade between him and Mrs Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, the embattled Senator of Kogi Central who is currently on suspension from the national assembly, noting that her call for periodic drug tests was apt and self-indicting.

The indigenes said the embattled senator’s advice was in order, considering the fact that her conduct since she refused to obey a simple sitting arrangement rule at the Senate, had truly called for a drug test to ascertain if she was free from the influence of substance.

The constituents were responding to a statement by the embattled Senator, where she called for periodic drug tests for senators, in response to a statement by Karimi.

Their reaction came through a statement signed by the Chairman, Kogi West Patriotic Assembly, Ayodele Joshua, PhD; and Secretary, Kareem Adigun.

Senator Karimi had said former Governor Yahaya Bello had been vindicated by the embarassment Akpoti-Uduaghan had brought on the Senate and Nigeria as a whole.

The Kogi West Indigenes, who swiftly rose in his defence after Akpoti-Uduaghan’s response, told him not to engage in a war of words with her, stating that they were well positioned to give the embattled Senator the right response.

“Our attention has been drawn to a rejoinder by the suspended Senator representing Kogi Central in the National Assembly, Mrs. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, to Senator Sunday Karimi’s comments on her conduct at the National Assembly, which recommended drug tests for serving senators.

READ ALSO:

“The embattled senator’s advice is in order, considering the fact that her conduct since she refused to obey a simple sitting arrangement rule at the Senate, has truly called for a drug test to ascertain if she is free from the influence of substance.

“Or how else can one explain the ridiculous things she has been saying from one media house to the other, both in Nigeria and abroad, to authenticate her spurious allegations against the Senate President? We need to be sure that she is the one saying those things and not someone under the influence of some substance.

“We identify with our brothers and sisters, fathers, and mothers from Kogi Central at this trying period. The disgrace a so-called daughter of the land has brought is not to them alone but to the entire state.

“If a woman of her age can be going from one international platform to the other, shouting sexual harassment against the Number 3 citizen of a country as populous and influential as Nigeria, with no iota of proof, then Nigerians need to really accept the fact that drug tests must be carried out on every aspiring Senator so that we would always avoid swearing in the wrong characters.

“Even Nigerian women are unanimous in their position that they must be wary of those they elect into sensitive positions and by virtue of this, become role models for their children. Forget about those who would never see anything good in their country.

“Previous actions and false accusations by this same suspended Senator against other personalities have shown that she is not fit to hold such position. The recall process should be followed through so she can at least learn and also represent her people better next time.”

“Senator Karimi should not join words with the suspended Senator. We will respond appropriately on his behalf. With her unfounded allegations, resort to cheap propaganda in the media against dissenting voices, and ridiculous kindergaten statements that shouldn’t even be uttered by people in their right frame of mind, it is clear that she should be the first person to take her proposed drug test,” the Kogi West indigenes declared.

 

Group tackles Natasha over call for drug test on senators

metro

₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke

₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government

An audit firm, Salivot Consulting Limited, has alleged a massive ₦13.7 billion annual payroll fraud involving thousands of ghost workers and pensioners in Osun State, triggering widespread public outrage and calls for transparency.

The allegation was disclosed by the firm’s Chief Executive Officer, Sadat Bakrin-Ottun, during an appearance on Politics Tonight on Channels Television. According to her, a 12-month forensic audit allegedly revealed that Osun State is losing about ₦13.7bn yearly to non-existent employees, unverifiable pensioners, and manipulated payroll records under the administration of Ademola Adeleke.

The audit reportedly identified 8,452 workers and 5,831 pensioners who allegedly failed to appear for physical and biometric verification. Bakrin-Ottun claimed the exercise exposed systemic payroll abuse across ministries, departments, and agencies, warning that the irregularities could not be dismissed as clerical errors. Among the most controversial findings, she alleged that one bank account linked to a single Bank Verification Number (BVN) received 962 salaries monthly, while another account was credited with 5,615 monthly salaries, pointing to deliberate payroll manipulation. She insisted the audit relied on biometric data, BVN analytics, and bank reconciliation records to validate these claims.

READ ALSO:

The Osun State Government has strongly rejected the ₦13.7bn payroll fraud allegation, accusing Salivot Consulting Limited of professional misconduct, data exaggeration, and misrepresentation. State officials claimed that only 1,316 workers remain unverified, adding that several individuals flagged by the firm are legitimate employees, whom the government declined to remove from the payroll “in good conscience.” Officials also insisted that payroll reforms have reduced the state’s monthly wage bill by about ₦1 billion, dismissing the fraud claim as misleading and politically motivated.

Bakrin-Ottun, however, dismissed the government’s rebuttal, maintaining that the audit was thorough, transparent, and evidence-driven. She alleged that while Governor Adeleke initially supported the exercise, implementation stalled after the audit report was submitted in July 2024. She claimed relations broke down after she demanded accountability for the allegedly siphoned funds, leading to tensions with senior officials, including the Chief of Staff.

The firm’s legal counsel, J.T.O. Uwazuruike, said the dispute has now escalated beyond unpaid consultancy fees. Salivot Consulting plans to petition the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate those allegedly responsible for diverting billions of naira from the state treasury. While the government has yet to specifically address claims of multiple salary payments into single accounts, labour unions, civil society groups, and residents continue to demand a forensic, independent probe to verify the state payroll system.

₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government

Continue Reading

metro

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Published

on

Nigerian TikTok sensation and streamer, Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Nigerian TikTok sensation and streamer, Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, has narrowly escaped injury following a generator fire incident at his residence.

The social media influencer disclosed the incident on Saturday via his verified Instagram page, where he shared a video capturing the early-morning blaze. In the footage, flames could be seen engulfing his generator as Peller, visibly shaken, cried out for help while neighbors and occupants rushed to contain the fire.

After sustained efforts using buckets of water, the fire was eventually brought under control. The generator was completely destroyed, but the building itself and everyone inside the house were spared, preventing what could have escalated into a major tragedy.

Shortly after the incident, fans and followers flooded his comment section with messages of relief and gratitude, praising the swift response that prevented loss of life or further property damage. The video also circulated widely across other social media platforms, where viewers raised concerns about generator safety, ventilation, and fire preparedness in residential areas.

READ ALSO:

As of the time of filing this report, the exact cause of the fire had not been independently confirmed, though preliminary reactions online speculated about possible fuel-related or electrical issues.

Earlier Lekki–Epe Expressway Incident

The generator fire comes months after Peller survived a separate and highly publicized scare along the Lekki–Epe Expressway.

During that earlier episode, which unfolded during a widely shared livestream, the influencer was seen driving while emotionally distressed. The broadcast, titled “RIP Peller,” sparked widespread concern after he made a series of alarming remarks that unsettled viewers.

At the time, Peller appeared agitated during a phone conversation believed to involve his girlfriend, amid online speculation about personal relationship challenges. The livestream ended abruptly after the vehicle was involved in a crash, though Peller later confirmed he survived the incident.

The back-to-back scares have renewed conversations among fans and industry observers about mental health awareness, content moderation during livestreams, and personal safety, particularly for young influencers who share real-time experiences with large audiences.

Despite the incidents, Peller has continued to engage his followers and has expressed appreciation for the overwhelming support he has received.

Peller Escapes Generator Fire at Lagos Home, Recalls Earlier Lekki–Epe Scare

Continue Reading

metro

Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage

Published

on

church premises

Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage

An Abuja-based church has expelled a newly married woman, Oyiza, after she allegedly refused to consummate her marriage with her husband, Isaac—an action that has sparked widespread debate over marital consent, religious authority, and women’s rights in Nigeria.

The couple, who were living in Ibadan, got married on September 6, 2025, following the completion of their traditional marriage rites in Okene and a court wedding in Ibadan. Oyiza is originally from Kogi State.

According to accounts presented by the husband and church officials, marital tensions began shortly after the wedding, with Oyiza reportedly declining all attempts at intimacy. She allegedly told her husband she did not love him and later accused her mother of pressuring her into the marriage.

Family members and church leaders reportedly intervened multiple times over several months in an attempt to resolve the matter. Despite repeated marriage counselling sessions, the woman was said to have maintained her position, insisting she was emotionally unprepared for the union.

Isaac claimed that prior to the wedding, Oyiza had expressed doubts about proceeding with the marriage but later reassured him and the church’s marriage committee that she was ready, leading to approval of the wedding plans.

Photos from the ceremony, later circulated on social media, showed Oyiza appearing cheerful among friends and church members. However, Isaac said the marriage quickly deteriorated after the wedding, describing the relationship as emotionally exhausting and restrictive.

READ ALSO:

In February 2026, the controversy escalated after the church released a video on its YouTube channel announcing Oyiza’s expulsion and excommunication. The church’s International Director stated that five months of mediation had failed.

During the announcement, the cleric used strong and controversial language, accusing Oyiza of spiritual misconduct and urging members to pray against her, claiming she had disgraced the church. He also referenced traditional cultural practices, suggesting that emotional readiness should not prevent marital obligations—remarks that triggered intense backlash online.

The cleric further claimed that his wife received a spiritual revelation alleging that Oyiza was under a supernatural covenant preventing marital relations. These claims were made publicly but remain unverified.

Oyiza was not present during the announcement, and efforts to obtain her response have been unsuccessful.

The incident has since generated nationwide reactions, with many Nigerians, legal commentators, and rights advocates arguing that consent within marriage is non-negotiable and that religious institutions should not compel intimacy or publicly shame individuals over private marital disputes.

The case has reignited conversations around:

  • Forced marriage and family pressure
  • Consent and bodily autonomy
  • Limits of church authority in private relationships
  • Mental health and dignity of women

As of the time of reporting, the church has not released any further statement addressing the public criticism.

Abuja Church Expels Newly Married Woman Over Refusal to Consummate Marriage

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending