Hoodlums raze ex-senator’s residence, varsity study centre in Imo - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Hoodlums raze ex-senator’s residence, varsity study centre in Imo

Published

on

Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command, CP Aboki Danjuma

Hoodlums raze ex-senator’s residence, varsity study centre in Imo

In a shocking incident, the residence of former Senator Frank Ibezim in Imo State was set on fire by hoodlums on Monday night.

The attack occurred in Nsu, a community in the Ehime Mbano Local Government Area, at approximately 9 p.m.

Ibezim, who represented Imo North District under the All Progressives Congress (APC) from 2021 to 2023, was not at home during the attack.

A video circulating on social media shows the senator’s house engulfed in flames, with local residents expressing dismay at the destruction.

In addition to burning Ibezim’s residence, the hoodlums also targeted the National Open University study centre in Nsu, setting the building on fire.

Residents believe the same assailants were responsible for both incidents. Another video clip shows the university complex in flames, further intensifying concerns over the growing violence in the area.

The Imo State Police have confirmed the attacks, with Police Commissioner Aboki Danjuma condemning the acts of arson. The police spokesperson,

Henry Okoye, issued a statement on Tuesday, promising that investigations are underway to identify and apprehend the culprits responsible for the coordinated assaults.

READ ALSO:

Mr Danjuma described the attacks as “senseless and unwarranted.”

“This unfortunate incident reflects a disturbing trend of violence that undermines the safety and security of our communities.
“The police Command stands firmly against such acts and will take all necessary measures in synergy with other security agencies to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice,” he said.

The commissioner said he had ordered the deployment of a tactical unit of the police to track down the hoodlums.

He ordered the deputy commissioner of police in charge of the State Criminal Investigation Department to investigate the attacks.

The latest attacks occurred days after Mr Ibezim was accused of facilitating the establishment of an Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camp within the National Open University campus in the Nsu Community for people from northern Nigeria.

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and other pro-Biafra groups criticised the alleged plan and vowed to resist it.

IPOB, in a statement earlier on Monday by its spokesperson, Emma Powerful, claimed the Nigerian government was trying to “infiltrate” the South-east.

IPOB, a group leading the agitation for secession of South-east and some parts of south-south from Nigeria, has been linked to some deadly attacks in the two regions.

But the separatist group has repeatedly denied any involvement in the attacks.

Meanwhile, Mr Ibezim has since denied the allegation.

In a statement issued later on Monday, the former senator said the claim that he brought the federal government into the community to settle IDPs and refugees from Northern Nigeria was “entirely false.”

He explained that the university had existed since October 2023 and that he only led a delegation of the federal government to assess whether the facilities could be used for skills acquisition.

“For emphasis, I must restate that there are no plans to settle IDPs, Refugees or Migrant persons at the National Open University Centre, Nsu, Ehime Mbano LGA. Any such claim is categorically false,” he stated.

“I will never be part of such a plan. The plan is for skills training for our vulnerable young people from the South-east.”

Hoodlums raze ex-senator’s residence, varsity study centre in Imo

metro

Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom

Published

on

hanging

Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom

Prince Emmanuel Umoh, the resident pastor of Living Faith Church Chapel, Ifa Ikot Ubo–Ifa Ikot Okpon Branch in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, has been sentenced to death by hanging for the murder of his landlord, Gabriel Bassey, a 500‑level civil engineering student at the University of Uyo.

Umoh was found guilty by Justice Gabriel Ette of the Akwa Ibom State High Court after evidence showed he fatally stabbed Bassey on December 21, 2020, inside the estate in Ifa Ikot Ubo, a community in Uyo Local Government Area. The judgment was delivered following a trial that lasted more than five years.

The prosecution established that Bassey had moved into his late mother’s property in Ifa Ikot Ubo to secure the family estate and be closer to school. The property previously housed a nursery school his mother built before her death in December 2019.

Court records show that part of the estate — a hall connected to a two‑bedroom apartment occupied by Bassey and his younger brother, Emmanuel Bassey — was leased to Living Faith Church for worship and community use at an annual rent of ₦150,000, with permission from Bassey’s father, Emana Bassey, a retired principal. The church began using the hall before the full rent was paid.

Umoh, who was later appointed the chapel’s first resident pastor, was given a spare key to the deceased’s apartment to allow access to church property stored inside. Evidence presented in court revealed that after this arrangement, personal items belonging to the deceased’s late mother — including clothing, dishes and valuables — began to go missing.

READ ALSO:

The father, Mr. Emana Bassey, testified that he initially approved the spare key arrangement. However, when items started disappearing, he instructed his son to return the key. The defendant claimed he had lost the key, prompting concerns over security. The church’s senior pastor, Owoidoho Akpan, who testified for the defence, gave the Bassey family ₦5,000 to replace the locks. After the locks were changed, no further items were reported missing, the court heard.

Additional tensions arose between Umoh and Bassey over the use of rent funds supposedly meant for hall renovations, with disagreements escalating in the weeks leading up to the murder.

On the day of the incident, neighbours observed Umoh entering the premises shortly before cries of “Jesus” were heard. Minutes later, he was seen wearing a blood‑stained white garment, claiming he had fallen while fixing a banner. Bassey was not seen alive again.

Five days later, on December 26, 2020, Bassey’s decomposing body was found in his room, wrapped in a mat with multiple stab wounds and a butcher’s knife beside him. Forensic evidence and witness testimony linked Umoh to the crime, with bloodstains on his clothing and the fact that he was the last person seen with the deceased.

Umoh was arraigned on December 6, 2021, on a single count of murder. He pleaded not guilty, and the prosecution called six witnesses, including members of the Bassey family and church officials, to support its case.

In his lengthy judgment, Justice Ette described the crime as deeply troubling and a betrayal of trust, particularly because it was committed by a religious leader on church grounds.

Life is sacred, and those who represent God on earth should teach that. It is an irony and quite appalling when a man who claims to be the representative of the divine on earth stoops so low as to denigrate the very essence of his calling and take someone’s life on the premises of the church,” the judge said.

He added that individuals who violate public trust in this way threaten society and must be punished in accordance with the law.

Having found the defendant guilty beyond reasonable doubt, the court pronounced sentence:

“I hereby sentence you to death by hanging.”

The conviction brings to an end nearly six years of legal proceedings and underscores the rule of law in Akwa Ibom State, even when the accused holds a position of religious leadership.

Pastor Sentenced to Death by Hanging for Murdering Landlord in Akwa Ibom

Continue Reading

metro

Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’

Published

on

Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo
Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo

Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’

Festus Keyamo, the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, has defended the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), admitting the party is “not made up of saints” but insisting it remains a better political alternative than the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). His statement has sparked public debate and widespread reactions on social media as Nigerians discuss the credibility of political parties ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Keyamo shared a video clip and message on his verified X account on Saturday, clarifying that a 2017 interview had been edited to omit key parts of his statement. He said the APC may not be perfect, but it offers better direction and governance for the country. He stated, “I will be a fool to say APC is a party of saints. Anyone who declares their party as a party of saints will also be a fool. But on the balance, the APC still holds the best hope for Nigeria, and we cannot return to the era of the PDP, which had leaders who are now contesting for the presidency.”

The minister highlighted President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the only political figure from that era who never defected to the PDP, emphasizing continuity and loyalty within the APC.

READ ALSO:

The statement drew diverse reactions on social media. Supporters of the APC praised Keyamo’s honesty, describing his comments as a realistic assessment of political parties. One user wrote: “Acknowledging flaws shows integrity. APC is still the party that can drive progress.” Critics and PDP supporters argued that Keyamo’s admission reinforces perceptions of corruption and mismanagement within the APC. Some commented: “If APC is flawed, why should Nigerians trust it? Accountability is missing.” Political analysts and civil society advocates called for transparency and actionable reforms, noting that admissions of imperfection alone cannot guarantee better governance.

Keyamo’s defense of the APC comes amid increasing political activity ahead of the 2027 elections. The party faces scrutiny from defections, public criticism, and debates about its leadership. Meanwhile, the PDP continues to position itself as a viable opposition, aiming to regain political ground in the coming polls. Analysts view Keyamo’s statement as part of a strategy to portray the APC as a pragmatic and forward-looking party, contrasting with the PDP’s past political record. However, many argue that credible reform and accountability measures are necessary to win public trust.

Keyamo Defends APC Amid Public Debate, Says Party ‘Not Made Up of Saints’

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry

Published

on

Some Nigerian Policemen

Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested officers involved in a fatal shooting incident in Alagbado, Lagos, which reportedly killed at least two civilians during a police operation. The Commissioner of Police, CP Olohundare Jimoh, has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident, according to SP Abimbola Adebisi, the command’s spokesperson.

In a post shared on X (formerly Twitter), Adebisi said:

“The officers involved in the unfortunate shooting incident that occurred today in Alagbado have been arrested and taken into custody. The Commissioner of Police has ordered a thorough and intensive investigation into the incident, as well as the adequate deployment of personnel to forestall any breakdown of law and order. Normalcy has been restored to the area.

Preliminary reports indicate the shooting occurred during a police operation targeting suspected internet fraudsters, locally known as Yahoo boys, along the AIT area of Alagbado. Witnesses said two civilians were struck by gunfire and later died from their injuries, raising concerns about the use of force by security operatives in populated areas.

READ ALSO:

Residents shared their reactions on social media, with many expressing shock and anger:

  • “Finally, the officers are arrested, but we need full transparency in this investigation,” one user wrote.
  • Another tweeted: “This is not the first time innocent civilians have been injured or killed by police in Lagos. Measures must be taken to protect lives during operations.”
  • Advocacy groups urged the authorities to ensure justice and accountability, emphasizing that arrests alone are not enough.

Historical Context of Police Shootings in Lagos

The Alagbado shooting is the latest in a series of controversial police incidents in Lagos, including:

  • 2020 Lekki Toll Gate Shooting during #EndSARS protests, where security forces killed and injured demonstrators.
  • 2021 Ajah Shooting involving the death of a pregnant lawyer during a police checkpoint operation.
  • Other incidents in Ojota, Murtala Mohammed Airport, and Onikan, where civilians were injured or killed during police enforcement operations.

These events have fueled public scrutiny of police conduct, with frequent calls for independent oversight, clear rules of engagement, and accountability for law enforcement officers in Lagos State.

The Lagos State Police Command has assured residents that the investigation will be thorough, justice will be served, and measures have been implemented to prevent further civilian casualties.

Lagos Police Arrest Officers After Fatal Alagbado Shooting Amid Public Outcry

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending