Connect with us

Sports

I need a new coach, Joshua cries out

Published

on

Anthony Joshua has said he is “done with losing” as he considers a coaching shake-up following his defeat by Oleksandr Usyk.

Joshua, who lost the WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight titles to Ukrainian Usyk, told iFL TV he was ready for “war” as he prepares for a potential rematch.

“I’m done with losing. I’m done with trying to learn the sweet science,” Briton Joshua, 32, said.”[Usyk] might get thrown on the floor in the next fight because this is war.”

He added: “I’m heading into my 12th  world title fight now and the learning is done. It’s done. It’s just war. I’m annoyed. I’m boiling up just speaking about it.”

Joshua has spent time in the United States since the loss and worked with leading trainers including Ronnie Shields, who was instrumental in Mike Tyson’s in-ring career.

READ ALSO:

He insisted he was not splitting from long-time coach Rob McCracken but instead needed to develop further by seeking other inputs.

“I need a new coach to learn from as well,” he added. “I will not be basing myself in the States, I am a UK resident so I am not going out to the States to find a new coach.

“Rob’s in Lithuania so I need to find a new coach for certain points as I train 10 or 11 months a year. I need to step away and get some new teachings from trainers who have trained the likes of 13 or 14 world champions.

“I wish I had done these things sooner, but now I can go out there and add things to my game.”

Defeat by Usyk has put any immediate hopes of a clash with fellow Briton Tyson Fury, the WBC belt holder, on hold.

However, Joshua said he would use the setback as a catalyst to further success.

“Because you don’t hear from me, I may not be effing and blinding on Instagram stories and stuff like that, it doesn’t mean that I stomach losses,” he said.

“We’ve had some awkward conversations in the camp. It hurts, especially when you’ve got a winner’s mentality.

“I know from experience and track record, my mind-set and my evaluation of losses and how I use them, it can catapult me to the next level.”

The Nation

Sports

Oshoala nominated for 2022 Ballon d’Or

Published

on

Asisat Oshoala

Super Falcons forward player, Asisat Oshoala has been nominated for the 2022 Women’s Ballon d’Or player of the year award on Friday, Saturday PUNCH reports.

Her exploits with FC Barcelona femeni earned her a place on the 20-woman shortlist.

In July, Oshoala was awarded the African Women’s Player of the Year for the fifth time, breaking her own achievement and becoming the first person to win the CAF award five times.

READ ALSO:

Her remarkable form which saw her produce 20 goals in 19 appearances saw her become the first African player to win the Pichichi ward in Spain despite being injured for a large part of the season (three months).

She sustained an injury during Nigeria’s opening game against South Africa at the 2022 WAFCON and Super Falcons ended the competition in fourth place.

Oshoala was nominated alongside 19 other players including.

The other nominees for the 2022 Women’s Ballon d’Or are Selma Bacha, Fridolina Rolfo, Vivianne Miedema, Lucy Bronze, Sam Kerr, Christiane Endler, Lena Oberdorf, Kadidiatou Diani, Catarina Macario, Alexia Putellas, Alexandra Popp, Aitana Bonmatí, Wendie Renard, Alex Morgan,  Beth Mead, Marie-Antoinette Katoto, Millie Bright, Trinity Rodman and Ada Hegerberg.

Continue Reading

Sports

Messi’s Name Absent As Ballon d’Or 2022 Releases 30-Man Nominees

Published

on

Lionel Messi

A 30-man shortlist for this year’s Ballon d’Or award has been announced today, Friday, 12 August 2022.

This was confirmed by the organizers of the award, via their website today.

It would be recalled that Lionel Messi, who currently plays for Paris Saint-Germain, won the Ballon d’Or last year after beating the likes of Robert Lewandowski, Jorginho and Karim Benzema.

READ ALSO:

Below are the nominees for this year’s Ballon d’Or:

Thibaut Courtois (BEL, Real Madrid), Rafael Leao (POR, AC Milan), Mohamed Salah (EGY, Liverpool), Joshua Kimmich (GER, Bayern Munich), Christopher Nkunku (FRA, RB Leipzig), Trent Alexander-Arnold (ANG, Liverpool), Robert Lewandowski (POL, Bayern Munich then FC Barcelona), Bernardo Silva (POR, Manchester City),Vinicius Junior (BRE, Real Madrid), Luis Diaz (COL, FC Porto then Liverpool), Karim Benzema (FRA, Real Madrid), Fabinho (BRE, Liverpool), Riyad Mahrez (ALG, Manchester City), Heung-min Son (CDS, Tottenham), Casemiro (BRE, Real Madrid), Phil Foden (ENG, Manchester City), Harry Kane (ENG, Tottenham), Sadio Mané (SEN, Liverpool then Bayern Munich), Darwin Nunez (URU, Benfica then Liverpool), Mike Maignan (FRA, AC Milan), Kevin De Bruyne (BEL, Manchester City), Sébastien Haller (CIV, Ajax then Borussia Dortmund), Luka Modric (CRO, Real Madrid), Cristiano Ronaldo (POR, Manchester United), Antonio Rüdiger (GER, Chelsea then Real Madrid), Joao Cancelo (POR, Manchester City), Erling Haaland (NOR, Borussia Dortmund then Manchester City), Kylian Mbappé (FRA, PSG), Virgil Van Dijk (HOL, Liverpool) and Dusan Vlahovic (SER, Fiorentina then Juventus).

NPO

Continue Reading

Sports

Joshua dangerous in training ahead Usyk rematch

Published

on

Two-time heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua arrived early in Jeddah to put the finishing touches on his training for the title rematch with Oleksandr Usyk in eight days, and the results are clear to see in a video posted on Thursday.

Eleven months after their first clash in London, Joshua and Usyk are now just eight days away from their highly anticipated rematch in Saudi Arabia.

They went head-to-head in the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last September, with the Ukrainian producing an upset to claim the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight belts.

READ ALSO:

Joshua will look to reclaim the belts and become a three-time unified heavyweight champion of the world, and he looks in fine shape in the latest released footage of his training.

After cutting weight and looking to outbox Usyk in their first fight, Joshua looks to have gained more and improved his power ahead of the rematch.

Since the loss last September, Joshua parted with long-term coach Rob McCracken and instead sided with new coach Robert Garcia.

Garcia criticised AJ’s game plan in the first fight, and is keen for his new fighter to use his superior physique to beat Usyk the second time around.

“When you have somebody that’s a lot smaller than you and you have the weight, height, reach and power advantages then take advantage of that,” said Garcia.

“It seemed like they had a different game plan.

“I wouldn’t even want to say it was a ‘game plan’, maybe it was just the wrong instructions. Anthony is the type of fighter who listens to his corner so he did what he was told and it was totally wrong.”

By the looks of Joshua’s build in his training footage, it seems the Watford-born fighter has taken on board the advice from his new coach.

Continue Reading

Trending