Insecurity: Buhari scheduled to appear before Reps next Thursday – Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

Insecurity: Buhari scheduled to appear before Reps next Thursday

Published

on

 The House of Representatives has scheduled next Thursday December 10  for President Muhammadu Buhari to appear before the lawmakers to brief them on what his administration is doing on the worsening insecurity situation in the country.

The lower chamber also gave an indication that the President could choose to come on December 15 if December is not convenient for him.

Spokesperson for the House, Ben Kalu, gave the dates on Thursday when he spoke to newsmen on the issue in Abuja.

He said although the date was not definite yet, the President might appear next Thursday (December 10) or the upcoming Tuesday (December 15).

According to him, the President is coming to meet minds with the lawmakers and proffer solutions to the insecurity challenges in the country.

The House had on Tuesday invited the president to come and discuss with the lawmakers, steps being taken by his administration to arrest the worsening insecurity.

It reached the decision after debating a motion moved on behalf of 10 other Borno State lawmakers by Hon. Satomi Ahmed.

The motion came on the heels of Saturday’s killing of over 43 rice farmers in Zabarmari village of Borno State by Boko Haram insurgents.

The lawmakers, among other things, had prayed that the president should declare a state of emergency on security matters and for the House to cause Buhari to appear before it to brief lawmakers on what his administration is doing to combat insecurity.

House Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, on Wednesday, led a delegation to the State House to meet the President, after which he told reporters that Buhari had agreed to honour the invitation.

He, however, declined to say when the president would appear before the lawmakers.

But Kalu, while addressing journalists, clarified that the president was never summoned by the House, but was only invited so that they could meet minds and seek better ways of tackling the insecurity in the country.

He said, “As the speaker said yesterday (Wednesday), it will be out of place since we were not summoning, when you summon, you give date and time, but this is back channel diplomacy, legislative diplomacy. We are not compelling, we are inviting, and when you invite, you rub (sic) minds to find out the availability of the person you’re inviting. That was what the leadership did yesterday (Wednesday). They engaged with Mr. President and instead of mandating him to appear on a particular day, they rubbed (sic) minds on when it will be convenient for him to appear and he accepted.

“We have an estimate of when we think it’s going to be. In every matter of urgent public importance, time is of the essence and based on that, and in the wisdom of the president, he’s not delaying but prioritising it. So, security is topmost on his agenda at the moment and that’s why in the course of next week since we just finished today, I’m sure he will be able to adjust his programmes. I know Tuesday may not be feasible because we have NEC meeting. So, we are looking at Thursday or upper Tuesday, the date is not yet definite.”

Asked why the House was still demanding the sacking of service chiefs since the president has refused to sack them, Kalu explained that the call for the sacking of the service chiefs would be one of the issues that the House would discuss with the President.

He said, “The (sacking of the) service chiefs will be one of the issues the House will discuss with the president. We are looking for solutions. It’s not about the visit of the president; it’s about solution-seeking mechanism. We are looking for strategies that will help us find solutions. The visit of the president happens to be one of them.

“What we want from him is to do a SWOT analysis of the security sector. Mr. President, what are your strengths so far, your weaknesses? We think these are your weaknesses.

“If we believe that not changing the service chiefs is a weakness, we will mention it as well. Mr. President, what are your threats? How can we help with this your threats, to covert them to opportunities? For example, declaring a state of emergency on security. We will lay everything on the table for him to see so that he will know what we think based on what they informed us at our constituents. It’s going to be a discussion.”

He explained that the House is still engaging the service chiefs because they are still serving the nation and the legislative arm can’t boycott them.

According to him, if the House refuses to engage them, it means it is doing a disservice to the nation and to the citizens.

He said the right thing was to keep engaging them and keep asking the president to explain why keeping them is the best strategy to curb the security problems in the country.

Politics

Court stops Rivers PDP From holding state congress

Published

on

Court stops Rivers PDP From holding state congress

A Rivers State High Court in Port Harcourt has issued an injunction preventing the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) from conducting its state congress in Rivers State.

The court’s decision effectively bars the PDP from holding the congress, pending further proceedings.

The court issued the order in response to a lawsuit filed by a group of plaintiffs, including Hon. David Chiinedu Omereji, Hon. Prince Solomon Eke, Isodoye Tobin, Goddy Manfred Pepple, Okiah Precious Chigozirim, Hon. Orolosama Peter Amachree, Goodfriday Nweke, Alfred Letam, Hon. Wechie Ndubisi Raymond, Mrs. Erebie Michael, and Hon. Ogenma Idalunimulu, against the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its national officials, namely; National Chairman; National Financial Secretary, and National Organising Secretary.

The lawsuit, with the suit number PHC/2282/CS/2024, was filed at the Rivers State High Court.

Justice Sobere Biambo, the trial judge, heard the application for an interim injunction filed by the aggrieved members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on July 15, 2024.

The applicants, represented by Eberechi Adiele (SAN) and S.O. Orlu, Esq., sought to restrain the defendants, including the PDP national officials, from conducting the party’s congress in Rivers State, scheduled for today.

READ ALSO:

After considering the submissions of the learned counsel for the claimants/applicants, Justice Biambo is set to determine the application.

The hearing took place at High Court 13, Port Harcourt, with the judge carefully reviewing the arguments presented.

“IT IS ORDERED: That an order of interim injunction is hereby issued restraining the defendants and each of them, either by themselves servant, agents, assigns or otherwise however from holding or carrying out the People Democratic Party (PDP) Congress in Rivers or be rescheduled to be held on any other date or any other location.

“That an order interim is hereby issued stopping or suspending the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Congress in Rivers State scheduled to be held in Rivers State on the 27th of July, 2024 or to be held on any other date or any other location pending the determination of the motion on notice already filed.

“That an order interim is hereby issued restraining the defendants by themselves, servants, agents or otherwise howsoever, from taking any decision or giving any directive to further extend howsoever the already expired tenure of the last State, Local Government and Ward Executive Officers of the People Democratic Party(PDP) in Rivers State.

The Court adjourned till the 19th of July, for the motion on notice already filed.

Court stops Rivers PDP From holding state congress

Continue Reading

Politics

Intervene in APC chairmanship tussle, group tells Tinubu

Published

on

Intervene in APC chairmanship tussle, group tells Tinubu

A pressure group within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene in the party’s ongoing chairmanship dispute. This comes amid renewed pressure from North Central stakeholders seeking to reclaim the party’s chairmanship position.

The North Central Reality Movement (NCRM), led by its national chairman, Ibrahim Muhammad Rabiu, expressed these concerns during a press briefing. Rabiu highlighted that the insistence on Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje as chairman erodes grassroots support in the North Central Zone.

READ ALSO:

Rabiu warned that this issue could negatively impact the party’s performance in the 2027 general election. He pointed out that internal party crises, particularly in Zamfara, result from the current national leadership’s inability to resolve disputes effectively.

He cited the example of the South-South zone, which replaced Dr Betta Edu as a Women’s Leader, and questioned why the North Central zone was not given a similar opportunity when the former chairman, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, resigned.

“We are appealing to the president to stabilise the party by ensuring the North Central reclaims its leadership position. This will help resolve the ongoing crises before the 2027 elections. As we speak, if not for FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, who was even appointed from a different party, none of our appointed APC leaders have given us infrastructural campaign tools for 2027,” Rabiu added.

Continue Reading

Politics

LP warns NLC to stop demarketing Peter Obi

Published

on

Peter Obi

LP warns NLC to stop demarketing Peter Obi

The Labour Party (LP) Directorate on Mobilization and Integration has cautioned the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) National Transition Committee (NTC) to cease undermining the party and its 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi.

The Directorate reaffirmed Julius Abure as the legitimate National Chairman of the LP, as confirmed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the party’s highest decision-making body. They urged the NLC NTC to respect the reconciliation efforts initiated by Obi or to seek legal redress if they have any grievances.

This response comes after an unsigned statement allegedly released by the NLC NTC, which described Abure as the former National Chairman of the Labour Party and instructed party stakeholders to boycott planned congresses in Anambra, Imo, Delta, and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

READ ALSO:

In a statement on Monday, Marcel Ngogbehei, the Director General of the LP Directorate on Mobilization and Integration, criticized the NTC’s statement as “childish, malicious, and misleading.” Ngogbehei emphasized that the NLC has no authority to establish a transition committee for any political party in the country, calling their actions alien to the law and suggesting they test their constitutionality in court.

The Directorate highlighted the NTC’s divisive nature and urged Labour Party supporters to ignore their tactics. Ngogbehei encouraged LP stakeholders to remain focused and attend the upcoming party congresses as announced by the Abure-led National Working Committee (NWC).

The Labour Party also accused the NLC NTC of collaborating with the government to weaken opposition parties like the Labour Party and prevent them from holding the government accountable. The statement said, “NTC has become a destructive agent seemingly working for the government to eliminate any perceived opposition structures in the country; the citizens are groaning under government policies that have left Nigerian workers poorer. Rather than the current NLC learning from the Oshiomole years of courageous leadership and engaging the government to protect the interests of Nigerian workers and citizens, they are busy meddling in political party affairs, attempting to demarket the only true opposition party in the country.”

LP warns NLC to stop demarketing Peter Obi

Continue Reading

Trending