Israel bombs UNRWA school in Gaza, kills 32 displaced Palestinians - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Israel bombs UNRWA school in Gaza, kills 32 displaced Palestinians

Published

on

A man embraces an injured child as a medic speaks to a woman following Israeli bombardment on Bureij, at a trauma ward at the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir el-Balah, in the central Gaza Strip. on June 4, 2024 [ Bashar Taleb/AFP]

Israel bombs UNRWA school in Gaza, kills 32 displaced Palestinians

Israeli forces have bombed a United Nations-linked school in central Gaza, killing at least 32 displaced Palestinians and injuring dozens more, according to officials and local media.

Hamas, which governs the Gaza Strip, condemned the predawn attack on Thursday as a “horrible massacre” and said many women and children were among those killed and wounded.

The Palestinian Wafa news agency put the death toll at 32.

The agency said that thousands of displaced Palestinians were sheltering at the Nuseirat camp’s al-Sardi school, which is linked to the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA), when it came under attack.

Ismail al-Thawabta, a spokesman for Gaza’s Government Media Office, said “huge numbers of dead and wounded” were arriving at the Al-Aqsa Hospital in central Gaza.

“This horrible massacre committed by the Israeli occupation is clear evidence of genocide, ethnic cleansing against civilians, including women and children and displaced people in the Gaza Strip,” he told reporters.

The dead and wounded were overwhelming the hospital, “which is filled with wounded patients three times beyond its clinical capacity”, he added. “This portends a real disaster that will lead to an even greater increase in the number of martyrs.”

‘Apocalyptic’ violence

Israel’s military confirmed the bombing, saying its fighter jets struck a “Hamas compound embedded inside an UNRWA school in the area of Nuseirat”. It claimed the bombing “eliminated terrorists who were planning to carry out attacks” against its forces.

READ ALSO:

Hamas rejected the Israeli statement.

“The occupation uses lying to the public opinion through false, fabricated stories to justify the brutal crime it conducted against dozens of displaced people,” al-Thawabta told the Reuters news agency.

The attack on al-Sardi came as Israeli forces stepped up their bombardment of Gaza even as the United States and mediators continued to press ahead with an effort to secure a ceasefire deal.

Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud, reporting from Deir el-Balah in central Gaza, said prior to the latest attack on Nuseirat, Israeli forces had killed at least 102 people in 24 hours. These included attacks on the Bureij and Maghazi refugee camps, also located in central Gaza.

Doctors Without Borders, in a statement earlier on Wednesday, described the situation in Gaza as “apocalyptic”. The group, which is known by its French acronym MSF, said the Al-Aqsa Hospital had received 70 dead people and more than 300 injured since Tuesday, and that the majority of the casualties were women and children.

“The odour of blood in the hospital’s emergency room this morning was unbearable. There are people lying everywhere, on the floor, outside … bodies were being brought in plastic bags. The situation is overwhelming,” said Karin Huster, an MSF official.

The “insane escalation of violence” across the Gaza Strip and the closure of the Rafah border crossing – which has halted most humanitarian deliveries into the Palestinian enclave – has stretched the health system to the “point of collapse”, she said.

“This man-made catastrophe needs to stop now,” she added.

READ ALSO:

At least 36,586 Palestinians have been killed and 83,074 have been wounded in Israel’s eight-month war on Gaza. The brutal assault, which some countries and UN experts say amounts to genocide, began after Hamas fighters launched attacks inside Israel on October 7 of last year, killing at least 1,139 people and taking dozens of others captive.

Ceasefire talks

Efforts to end the war have so far made little headway, however.

William Burns, the director of the CIA, was in Qatar’s capital, Doha, on Wednesday to discuss a three-phase truce proposal touted last week by US President Joe Biden. The first phase calls for a six-week ceasefire, during which Hamas would free some of the captives and Israeli forces would withdraw from Gaza’s population centres and negotiations would continue for a permanent truce.

Regional and international powers have backed the proposal, but sticking points remain. Hamas has insisted on a permanent ceasefire and full withdrawal of Israeli troops.

Israel, however, has rejected those demands, saying it is prepared to discuss only temporary pauses until Hamas is defeated.

Ismail Haniyeh, the leader of Hamas, on Wednesday reiterated the group’s stance.

“The movement and factions of the resistance will deal seriously and positively with any agreement that is based on a comprehensive ending of the aggression and the complete withdrawal and prisoners swap,” he said.

Meanwhile, Israel’s Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said there would be no halt to the fighting.

“Any negotiations with Hamas would be conducted only under fire,” Gallant was quoted as saying as he flew on board a plane to inspect the Israeli offensive in Gaza.

Israel bombs UNRWA school in Gaza, kills 32 displaced Palestinians

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA

International

Epstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis

Published

on

Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak
Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak

Epstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis

A new investigative report by Drop Site News has alleged that the late American financier Jeffrey Epstein and former Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak leveraged Nigeria’s long-running Boko Haram insurgency to pursue commercial, security, and strategic interests in the country.

According to the investigation, emails released by the United States Department of Justice in 2018 show Epstein acting as a behind-the-scenes facilitator in discussions involving Jide Zeitlin, then chairman of Nigeria’s Sovereign Investment Authority, and Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, former chairman of DP World. The exchanges allegedly focused on attempts to secure control of key shipping terminals in Lagos and Badagry, following unsuccessful negotiations with successive Nigerian administrations dating back to 2005.

The report claims DP World was unwilling to invest in a proposed industrial zone in Nigeria without full or majority control of the adjoining port infrastructure, a demand that reportedly stalled the deal for years. Epstein, who died in a New York jail in 2019 while awaiting trial, is alleged to have helped revive talks by brokering introductions and strategic conversations.

READ ALSO:

Drop Site News further reported that bin Sulayem resigned on February 13 after renewed scrutiny of his past links to Epstein resurfaced publicly, intensifying attention on the historical port negotiations and the role of foreign intermediaries in Nigeria’s maritime sector.

Beyond logistics and port infrastructure, investigators highlighted what they described as near-daily correspondence between Epstein and Barak after the former Israeli leader left public office. Barak, who served as Israel’s defence minister until 2013, allegedly sought to deepen Israeli-Nigerian security cooperation, using Nigeria’s counter-insurgency battle as an entry point for Israeli-linked security, energy, and technology investments.

The report said Barak later relied on security networks in Nigeria to promote Israeli defence and surveillance firms. In 2015, Barak and a partner invested $15 million in FST Biometrics, founded by former Israeli intelligence chief Aharon Ze’evi Farkash. The firm’s Basel biometric system, originally deployed at Israel-Gaza crossings, was subsequently marketed in Nigeria as a counter-terrorism solution.

According to the investigation, the biometric technology was introduced at Babcock University as protection against Boko Haram threats, while also being pitched to African governments for broader identity management and population-control applications.

The report further cited a 2020 World Bank-supported initiative involving Israel’s National Cyber Directorate and Toka Group, a cyber-intelligence company co-founded by Barak. The partnership was presented as contributing to Nigeria’s national cybersecurity framework, but Drop Site News argued it also deepened Israeli corporate access to sensitive security architecture.

In its conclusion, the investigation alleged that a network of security interventions, port negotiations, and technology investments enabled Epstein and Barak to profit from instability associated with the Boko Haram conflict, while simultaneously advancing Israeli commercial and strategic interests in Nigeria. The outlet stressed that these claims are based on document reviews and correspondence, framing them as allegations rather than established legal findings.

Epstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis

Continue Reading

International

Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others

Published

on

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others

The Government of Canada has announced a new Express Entry draw, offering fresh opportunities for skilled workers from Nigeria and other eligible countries to obtain Canadian permanent residency. The latest draw underscores Canada’s ongoing efforts to attract global talent to meet labour market demands and support economic growth.

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the new round of invitations targets candidates under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class, all managed through the Express Entry system. Eligible applicants are ranked through the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), with higher scores increasing the likelihood of receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.

READ ALSO:

This development is particularly significant for Nigerian workers, who have increasingly sought opportunities in Canada due to strong employment prospects, favourable immigration policies, and the country’s high standard of living. Applicants are advised to update profiles, review eligibility criteria, and submit supporting documents promptly, as IRCC draws often target candidates with competitive CRS scores.

The Express Entry system remains a primary pathway for skilled migration, with Canada aiming to meet ambitious immigration targets in 2026. The federal government has emphasized that these draws are part of a broader strategy to boost the Canadian workforce while supporting diversity and inclusion within the country’s labour market.

Canada has historically welcomed Nigerians in sectors including information technology, healthcare, engineering, and skilled trades, and this draw continues to open doors for qualified professionals seeking permanent residence.

Launched in 2015, Express Entry is a points-based immigration system designed to attract highly skilled foreign workers. Applicants are evaluated on education, work experience, language proficiency, and other factors. Candidates with the highest CRS scores are invited to apply for permanent residency, allowing them to live and work anywhere in Canada.

Express Entry draws occur regularly, and eligibility requirements may vary by program and draw. Skilled workers from Nigeria and other countries are encouraged to maintain updated profiles to maximize chances of selection.

Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others

Continue Reading

International

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

Published

on

Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye
Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

Former South Korean President Park Geun-hye has been sentenced to life imprisonment for her role in attempting to impose martial law during a political crisis, marking one of the most significant rulings in the country’s modern democratic history.

The Seoul Central District Court found Park guilty of abusing presidential powers, attempting to suppress dissent, and manipulating state security forces for political purposes. Prosecutors argued that her actions threatened the constitutional order and undermined democratic governance.

Park, South Korea’s first female president, was impeached in 2017 following mass protests triggered by corruption scandals and abuse-of-office allegations. The former leader has faced multiple prosecutions over the years, including charges of bribery, influence-peddling, and illegal control of state institutions.

The court emphasized that her attempt to enforce martial law was a severe violation of South Korea’s democratic principles. Legal experts have described the ruling as a clear message that executive overreach will not be tolerated, even at the highest levels of government.

READ ALSO:

The sentence comes amid growing international attention on South Korea’s judicial independence. Analysts say the life term reinforces accountability in the country’s political system while serving as a deterrent to future leaders who might consider circumventing democratic institutions. Park may appeal the verdict to the South Korean Supreme Court, prolonging legal proceedings.

Human rights groups have praised the transparent judicial process, noting that fairness and due process remain critical, especially in politically sensitive cases. Meanwhile, the decision has reignited public debate over the balance of power between the presidency and democratic institutions in South Korea.


Background: Park Geun-hye and Martial Law Controversy

Park Geun-hye, daughter of former military ruler Park Chung-hee, governed South Korea from 2013 until her impeachment in 2017. Allegations during her tenure included attempts to deploy martial law powers to suppress opposition and consolidate control over government agencies. These efforts, combined with corruption and bribery scandals, culminated in her removal from office and subsequent criminal trials.

The case has been widely cited as a landmark test of South Korea’s democratic accountability and judicial independence, illustrating the nation’s commitment to prosecuting high-level abuses of power.

 

South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending