Israel insists on harsh response to Hezbollah - Newstrends
Connect with us

International

Israel insists on harsh response to Hezbollah

Published

on

Israel insists on harsh response to Hezbollah

BEIRUT: Political and diplomatic communications have intensified between Lebanon and other nations to mitigate the serious escalation between Hezbollah and Israel.

The communications aim to prevent Lebanon from entering into an open conflict, particularly in light of Israel’s decision on Sunday night to strike Hezbollah in response to what it deemed “Hezbollah’s responsibility for the shelling of Majdal Shams.”

Hezbollah has denied responsibility for the attack on Majdal Shams that killed 12 teenagers and children on Saturday.

A Lebanese government source said that “international communications” had so far succeeded in containing an all-out war.

Israeli army spokesperson Avichay Adraee stated: “Our response to Hezbollah will be clear and strong.”

A Lebanese security source confirmed that Hezbollah evacuated several key points in the south and Bekaa since Sunday, near the Lebanese-Syrian border and the vicinity of Sayyida Zainab in Syria, “in anticipation of an Israeli strike.”

Lebanon witnessed a state of anticipation and caution on Monday, especially in the southern regions, the Bekaa, and Beirut.

Movement remained relatively cautious on roads connecting the regions.

The announcement that some airlines were suspending their flights to Lebanon further increased caution.

Foreign ministries, instead of embassies, warned their citizens to leave Lebanon immediately or “prepare for long periods of shelter.”

Caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati received a call from British Foreign Secretary David Lammy, who renewed “the call on all parties to exercise restraint to prevent escalation.”

Lammy stressed the need to “resolve disputes peacefully and through the implementation of relevant international resolutions.”

READ ALSO:

Reuters reported that US Secretary of State Antony Blinken called Israeli President Isaac Herzog and emphasized “the importance of preventing the escalation of conflict after the missile attack in the Golan Heights.”

According to Reuters, Blinken and Herzog discussed “a diplomatic solution that allows residents on both sides of the Israeli-Lebanese border to return to their homes.”

Reuters quoted an Israeli official as saying: “We want to harm Hezbollah, but we are not seeking a full-scale regional war.”

The hostile operations between Hezbollah and the Israeli army did not stop on Monday.

An Israeli raid in the morning targeted two locations.

The first raid targeted a car near Shaqra, and when a motorcycle arrived at the scene, it was targeted by a second raid.

This resulted in the death of two people and the injury of three others, including a child.

Hezbollah mourned its two killed members, Abbas Salami, aged 34, from the town of Kharbat Salem, residing in the town of Shaqra, and Abbas Hijazi, aged 29, from the town of Majdal Salem.

Israeli airstrikes hit Houla, with Israeli artillery bombarding the outskirts of Aitaroun.

Residential areas to the south of Mays Al-Jabal were also hit by artillery and phosphorous shells, resulting in fires.

The outskirts of Markaba, Rab El-Thalathine, and Kafr Hamam were also attacked.

The Israeli army conducted a sweeping operation toward Kafr Kila from its outposts in the settlement of Metula using automatic weapons.

Hezbollah continued attacking Israeli positions.

The Al-Manar channel — affiliated with Hezbollah — reported that “large fires broke out in the forests surrounding the settlement of Kiryat Shmona after missiles fell in the area.”

Hezbollah said it targeted the Al-Baghdadi site with dozens of Katyusha rockets.

It also targeted the Israeli soldiers’ position at the Al-Raheb site with guided missiles.

Israeli media reported the fall of several rockets at the Hagoma junction in Upper Galilee.

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant reiterated the Israeli threat that Hezbollah “will pay a heavy price, and we will let actions speak, not words.”

On Monday afternoon, Middle East Airlines’ aircraft landed on the runways of Rafic Hariri International Airport in Beirut after their flights were suspended on Sunday night.

The airline attributed the irregularity in its flight schedules to “insurance risks.”

The airport witnessed a rush of passengers arriving in Lebanon, mostly Lebanese expatriates, while others were departing.

READ ALSO:

Hala, an employee at the reception area at the airport, told Arab News: “When we ask arriving passengers if they are afraid to come to Lebanon, they laugh and continue to walk.”

The US Embassy in Lebanon, in a video clip by Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Rena Bitter, advised American citizens to “develop a crisis plan of action and leave before the crisis begins.”

Bitter stressed: “Washington is laser-focused on Lebanon. The US Department of State has no higher priority than the safety and security of US citizens overseas.”

She reminded US citizens of key points on crisis preparedness so they could receive direct alerts from the embassy.

She said: “Regularly scheduled commercial transportation is always the best option, while local communications and transportation infrastructure are intact and operating normally.

“Please ensure your US passports are valid for at least six months. Should commercial airlines not be available, people should be prepared to shelter in a place for long periods.”

The Italian foreign minister also urged Italian nationals to leave Lebanon, while the German government spokesperson advised German citizens to “urgently leave Lebanon.”

The Lufthansa Group, which also includes Swiss International Air Line and Eurowings, said in a statement that it would “suspend flights to Beirut until Aug. 5 due to the current situation in the Middle East, and as a precautionary measure.”

Air France and Transavia suspended their flights to Beirut until Wednesday.

Saudi Arabia urged its citizens to “adhere to the decision of not traveling to Lebanon.”

Royal Jordanian Airlines suspended its flights to Beirut.

Turkish Airlines canceled two flights to Beirut.

Turkish low-cost carrier SunExpress, Turkish Airlines’ AJET, Greece’s Aegean Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines also canceled flights.

Israel insists on harsh response to Hezbollah

ARAB NEWS

Loading

International

Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide

Published

on

Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide

Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide

Three people were killed after two teenage gunmen stormed the Islamic Center of San Diego in California, United States, in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime targeting Muslims.

The deadly San Diego mosque shooting, which happened on Monday at the Clairemont-area mosque, also left the two suspects dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to police.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed that officers responding to reports of an active shooter found three adult male victims dead inside the mosque complex.

One of those killed was identified as a mosque security guard who officials said played a heroic role in preventing the attack from becoming even more devastating.

“One of the deceased is a security guard that works there and I think played a pivotal role in assisting from this being much worse,” Wahl said during a press briefing.

Authorities said the two suspects, aged 17 and 19, were later discovered dead inside a vehicle several blocks away from the mosque after allegedly taking their own lives.

Investigators revealed that one of the suspects had reportedly taken firearms from a parent’s home before carrying out the attack.

Police also disclosed that the teenager’s mother had earlier alerted authorities that her son was missing, suicidal and possibly armed, sparking concern before the shooting unfolded.

The investigation intensified after detectives reportedly recovered anti-Muslim writings and hate-related messages from weapons and materials linked to the suspects.

“We are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Police Chief Wahl stated.

READ ALSO:

The Islamic Center of San Diego, regarded as the largest mosque in the city, also houses Islamic schools attended by Muslim children.

Witnesses described terrifying scenes as gunfire erupted during activities around midday prayers, forcing worshippers and students to seek cover while heavily armed police officers flooded the area.

A nine-year-old student who survived the attack told reporters he hid inside a closet with classmates as the shooting continued outside.

Police said officers arrived at the scene within four minutes of receiving the first emergency call at about 11:43 a.m. local time.

More than 50 officers later conducted an extensive search of the mosque and surrounding buildings as part of the emergency response.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) confirmed that federal agents, evidence response teams and victim specialists had joined the investigation.

FBI Director Kash Patel said federal authorities would provide all necessary resources to support the probe into the deadly attack.

Imam and Director of the mosque, Taha Hassane, condemned the shooting and described the attack on a place of worship as heartbreaking.

“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” Hassane said while thanking emergency responders and community leaders for their support.

Authorities confirmed that all children, teachers and staff members linked to the mosque’s schools were safely evacuated.

Following the shooting, police departments in cities including New York, Los Angeles and Washington increased security patrols around mosques and other places of worship.

United States President Donald Trump and California Governor Gavin Newsom were also briefed on the incident.

Trump described the attack as “a terrible situation” and said federal authorities were closely monitoring developments.

Meanwhile, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) condemned the violence and warned about rising cases of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim discrimination across the United States.

Investigators said the motive behind the California mosque shooting remains under active investigation as authorities continue reviewing surveillance footage, weapons evidence and the suspects’ online activities.

 

Three Killed In California Mosque Shooting As Teen Suspects Die By Suicide

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Published

on

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Iran has formally submitted its response to the latest United States proposal aimed at ending the ongoing conflict, using Pakistan as a mediator, as tensions continue to rise over the future of the fragile ceasefire between both sides.

According to reports by Al Jazeera and Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed on Monday that Tehran’s latest position had been delivered to Washington through Pakistani intermediaries.

“The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” Baghaei said during a press briefing.

The diplomatic exchanges come amid growing uncertainty surrounding a ceasefire that largely halted six weeks of fighting involving Iran, the United States, and Israel.

Talks mediated by Pakistan have reportedly stalled in recent days, with US President Donald Trump warning that the truce was “on life support.”

Iran’s latest demands reportedly include the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad, the lifting of US sanctions, compensation for war-related damages, and the removal of what Tehran described as a blockade on Iranian ports.

Iran is also insisting on a complete halt to hostilities across all fronts, including Lebanon, where Israeli military operations and airstrikes have reportedly continued despite ceasefire arrangements.

READ ALSO:

According to Iranian media outlet Fars News Agency, the latest US proposal presented a five-point framework that conditioned a permanent cessation of hostilities on Tehran entering formal peace negotiations with Washington.

The proposal reportedly included demands for Iran to maintain only one operational nuclear facility and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

Washington has also reportedly pressed Iran to dismantle key elements of its nuclear programme and ease restrictions affecting navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategic oil shipping routes.

Before the conflict escalated, the Strait of Hormuz reportedly handled nearly one-fifth of global crude oil and liquefied natural gas exports.

Iran, however, has maintained that it would continue to oversee activities around the waterway, which has remained partially disrupted since the beginning of the war.

Fars also claimed that the United States had refused to release “even 25 percent” of Iran’s frozen assets or agree to reparations for damages caused during the conflict.

Over the weekend, Trump intensified pressure on Tehran in a post shared on Truth Social.

“The Clock is Ticking,” Trump wrote, warning that Iran “better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”

Meanwhile, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced plans to urge G7 finance ministers to align with US sanctions aimed at cutting off financing to what he described as Iran’s “war machine.”

US news outlet Axios also reported that Trump is expected to meet national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss possible options for renewed military action should negotiations collapse completely.

Analysts say concerns are growing that hostilities could resume within days if diplomacy fails.

Mohamad Elmasry, a professor of media studies at the Doha Institute of Graduate Studies, told Al Jazeera that competing influences within the Trump administration and pressure from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu could push Washington back toward military confrontation.

Despite the mounting pressure, Iranian officials insist the country is prepared for any escalation.

“As for their threats, rest assured that we are fully aware of how to respond appropriately to even the smallest mistake from the opposing side,” Baghaei said during the televised briefing.

The developments have continued to trigger concerns across global energy markets and diplomatic circles, with fears that a collapse of negotiations could further destabilise the Middle East and disrupt international oil supplies.

Iran Demands Sanctions Relief In Response To US Peace Offer

Loading

Continue Reading

International

Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent

Published

on

Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent

Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent

MORBI, India – In a shocking case of exploitation and betrayal, a labourer and his landlord have been arrested in Gujarat’s Morbi district after police uncovered a horrific arrangement where the husband allegedly allowed the landlord to repeatedly rape his wife and 13-year-old daughter in exchange for waiving off pending house rent of just ₹2,000 per month.

The case has sparked outrage across the country, highlighting how extreme financial distress can lead to unimaginable human rights violations. Police have registered charges under the Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita (BNS) and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

How the Exploitation Began

According to the First Information Report (FIR) and police statements, the family—originally from Surendranagar—had moved to Morbi six months ago in search of work. They rented a house for ₹2,000 per month. However, as the husband’s financial condition worsened and his small business failed, they fell behind on rent for three to four months.

Police Inspector Y.B. Jadeja of Morbi ‘A’ Division stated that the landlord, aged 55, took advantage of the family’s desperation. Instead of pursuing legal recourse for the unpaid rent, he allegedly proposed a criminal “oral agreement” : sexual favours from the labourer’s wife in exchange for clearing the rent debt.

READ ALSO:

Father’s Alleged Consent Led to Repeated Assaults

Shockingly, police investigations revealed that the husband consented to the arrangement. Following this, the landlord allegedly raped the woman multiple times—at their rented home, at the landlord’s residence, and at another property in Tankara.

The situation escalated when the landlord’s demands turned to the couple’s minor daughter, aged 13. According to police, the father again gave his consent, leading to the serial sexual abuse of the child by the landlord and another individual.

How the Case Came to Light

The cycle of abuse might have continued indefinitely had it not been for police intelligence. Officers received confidential information about the exploitation and began discreet inquiries. When they confronted the family, the husband allegedly tried to send his daughter away to relatives to evade investigation.

Police traced the maternal grandmother of the minor victim (the wife’s mother), who was unaware of the atrocities. Disturbed by the revelations, she filed a formal complaint on April 24 (or May 1 per some sources), triggering the formal legal process.

Arrests and Legal Action

Following the complaint, Morbi Police swiftly arrested:

  • The landlord (55) – Charged with rape under BNS and POCSO Act.

  • The labourer (husband/father) – Charged with abetment of rape for consenting to the crimes against his own wife and child.

third accused—a relative or aide of the landlord—is currently absconding and is accused of raping the wife. Police have formed special teams to track him down.

The landlord was initially remanded to one day of police custody before being sent to judicial custody. The father has been sent to jail. The case has been registered under stringent sections of the BNS and the POCSO Act.

Official Statements

Deputy Superintendent of Police J.M. Lal confirmed the arrests and stated that investigations are ongoing. “We have recorded the statements of the victims and collected forensic evidence. The third accused will be arrested soon,” he said.

No comment has yet been issued by the landlord or the labourer’s legal representatives.

A Grim Reminder of Vulnerability

This case has reignited debates about tenant rightseconomic coercion as a tool for sexual exploitation, and the failure of social safety nets. Child rights activists have demanded the strictest punishment under the POCSO Act, including the possibility of the death penalty for the landlord and the father as an abettor.

 

Man ‘Allowed’ Landlord to Rape His Wife, Daughter to Settle Unpaid Rent

 

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending