Sports
Lionel Messi’s napkin contract sells for £762,400
Lionel Messi’s napkin contract sells for £762,400
The napkin on which Barcelona agreed to sign 13-year-old Lionel Messi was sold in an auction for £762,400.
The beginning price was £300,000 for the ‘standard Spanish waxy napkin’, which measures 16.5 x 16.5cm and is laminated and framed.
The serviette, written in blue ink in December 2000, contains a vow from ex-Barcelona director Carles Rexach to sign Messi.
It was also signed by Josep Minguella, the Spanish club’s transfer adviser, and agency Horacio Gaggioli, who recommended the Argentine teenager.
On Gaggioli’s behalf, London-based Bonhams held an online auction for the blue-ink serviette.
Messi joined Barcelona a month after the purchase was agreed upon and went on to become the club’s all-time leading goalscorer, with many considering him the greatest player in history.
He made his first-team debut at the age of 16 and went on to score a club record 672 goals in 778 games for Barcelona. Messi won ten La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues with Barcelona before moving to Paris St-Germain in 2021; the 36-year-old World Cup winner now plays for Inter Miami.
READ ALSO:
- Referee saved Fury from knock-out in Round 9, says Usyk’s promoter
- NDLEA declares couple wanted, houses sealed after cocaine seizure
- JUST IN: Helicopter carrying Iran’s president crash-lands
The serviette was signed during a meeting arranged by Rexach, who brought Messi’s father Jorge to lunch after the Messi family expressed worries about Barcelona’s lack of responsiveness following the teenager’s initial trial.
Translated into English, it reads: “In Barcelona, on December 14, 2000, and in the presence of Messrs.
“Minguella and Horacio, Carles Rexach, FC Barcelona’s sporting director, hereby agrees, under his responsibility and regardless of any dissenting opinions, to sign the player Lionel Messi, provided that we keep to the amounts agreed upon.”
Ian Ehling, head of fine books and manuscripts at Bonhams New York, said: “Since the sale was first announced, it has captured international attention, and fans all over the world have anticipated this day.
“What a wonderful result for one of the most thrilling items I have ever handled. Yes, it’s a paper napkin, but it’s the famous napkin that was at the inception of Lionel Messi’s career.
“It changed the life of Messi, the future of FC Barcelona, and was instrumental in giving some of the most glorious moments of football to billions of fans around the globe.”
Bonhams mentioned that “allegations concerning the ownership of the napkin were raised in March but have not been substantiated and appear from recent press comments to have been retracted.”.
The auction house adds, “The consignor of the napkin has received a legal opinion that confirms to them that they have clear title and the right to sell the napkin under Spanish law, and the seller gives a full warranty of title with the sale.”
Lionel Messi’s napkin contract sells for £762,400
Sports
X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide
X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide
The social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, has been fully restored after a global outage that left millions of users unable to access the service across several countries on Monday.
The disruption, which began earlier in the day, affected users in the United States, United Kingdom, Nigeria, India, and parts of Europe and Asia, with widespread complaints of blank timelines, login failures, error messages, and inability to post or refresh feeds. Both the mobile application and web version of the platform were impacted.
Online outage-tracking platforms recorded a sharp spike in user complaints, confirming that the issue was global rather than country-specific. Many users reported seeing messages such as “Something went wrong” while attempting to access their accounts.
After roughly two hours of downtime, services were gradually restored, with users regaining access to timelines, posts, messages, and other core features. By mid-afternoon GMT, functionality had largely returned to normal worldwide.
READ ALSO:
- Police Arrest 13 as Armed Robbers Engage Officers in Fierce Gun Battle in Abuja
- Bandits Kill Six, Burn Police Station in Fresh Niger Attacks
- US Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
While the platform confirmed restoration through improved service performance, X did not issue an official explanation for the outage. There was also no immediate public statement from the company’s owner, Elon Musk, regarding the cause of the disruption.
Industry observers described the incident as an international technical failure, stressing that it was not linked to government restrictions or localized internet shutdowns. The outage adds to a growing list of service disruptions experienced by the platform in recent months, raising renewed concerns about platform stability and infrastructure resilience.
X remains one of the world’s most influential social media platforms, widely used for breaking news, public discourse, business communication, and real-time updates, making the outage particularly disruptive for users and organizations that rely on it for timely information.
X Restored After Global Outage Disrupts Millions Worldwide
Sports
CAF Confirms 2027 AFCON Dates, Reveals Host Cities, Stadiums Across East Africa
CAF Confirms 2027 AFCON Dates, Reveals Host Cities, Stadiums Across East Africa
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has officially confirmed that the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will take place from 19 June to 18 July 2027, reaffirming plans for the tournament to be hosted in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda — a historic first for three nations to co‑organise Africa’s premier international football competition. The competition will feature 24 teams, with automatic qualification for the host nations and qualifiers beginning in March 2026. (Wikipedia)
CAF President Patrice Motsepe stressed confidence in the readiness of the three host countries to deliver a high‑quality event, dismissing earlier doubts over infrastructure and logistical challenges. (kenyanews.go.ke)
Planned Host Cities and Stadiums
The tournament will be played across 10 cities and up to 12 stadiums spread among the three hosts, combining existing venues with newly built or upgraded facilities to meet CAF specifications. (Wikipedia)
Kenya
- Talanta Sports Stadium — Nairobi: A new 60,000‑seat stadium expected to host the opening ceremony and several high‑profile matches, including potentially the tournament final. (kenyanews.go.ke)
- Moi International Sports Centre — Kasarani, Nairobi: Existing large venue (approx. 55,000 capacity) undergoing final upgrades ahead of AFCON. (kenyanews.go.ke)
- Nyayo National Stadium — Nairobi: 30,000 seats, set to host group matches and key fixtures. (kenyanews.go.ke)
- Bukhungu Stadium — Kakamega and Kipchoge Keino Stadium — Eldoret: Additional venues set to host group games, expanding Kenya’s footprint in the tournament. (kenyanews.go.ke)
READ ALSO:
- Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
- One Dead as Hausa, Benue Communities Clash at Port Harcourt Market
- Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
Tanzania
- Benjamin Mkapa Stadium — Dar es Salaam: A 60,000‑seat national stadium likely to host major matches. (Daily News)
- Samia Suluhu Hassan Stadium — Arusha: A new 30,000‑seat facility under construction. (Wikipedia)
- Dodoma Stadium — Dodoma: Another new stadium planned to host AFCON fixtures. (Daily News)
- Amaan Stadium — Zanzibar: A revitalised 15,000‑seat venue that will feature fixtures and fan experiences. (Daily News)
Uganda
- Mandela National Stadium — Kampala: A major multi‑purpose venue with a capacity of over 45,000 expected to host key games. (Daily News)
- Hoima City Stadium — Hoima: Newly completed 20,000‑seat stadium ready for AFCON matches. (Wikipedia)
- Akii Bua Stadium — Lira: Another new 20,000‑seat venue helping spread the tournament across regions. (Wikipedia)
These venues reflect a significant investment in football infrastructure across East Africa and support CAF’s aspiration to deliver a memorable continental showcase. (kenyanews.go.ke)
Preparations are being coordinated closely between CAF and the hosts, with infrastructure upgrades, access roads, security systems, accommodation and transport logistics high on the agenda as the region gears up for its biggest sporting event in decades. (kenyanews.go.ke)
The 2027 AFCON promises not just a festival of African football but also a legacy of improved stadiums and facilities, with East Africa firmly on the continental sporting map. (kenyanews.go.ke)
CAF Confirms 2027 AFCON Dates, Reveals Host Cities, Stadiums Across East Africa
Sports
Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
Cristiano Ronaldo marked a dramatic comeback for Al‑Nassr on Saturday, scoring early to help his side secure a 2‑0 win over Al‑Fateh in the Saudi Pro League — his first start since returning from a high‑profile absence. (Soccer News)
Ronaldo, 41, had been absent for three league matches amid reported disagreements with the club and dissatisfaction over how it was being run under the Public Investment Fund, which also owns other Saudi clubs. Media reports said the star was unhappy that rivals backed by the fund, particularly Al‑Hilal, were able to strengthen their squads — including signing Karim Benzema — while Al‑Nassr’s activity in the January transfer window was more limited. (Sky Sports)
On Saturday at the Prince Abdullah Bin Jalawi Stadium, Ronaldo wasted no time making an impact. In the 18th minute, he met a sharp cross and finished coolly to open the scoring — his 962nd career goal, edging him closer to the historic 1,000‑goal mark. (beIN SPORTS)
READ ALSO:
- One Dead as Hausa, Benue Communities Clash at Port Harcourt Market
- Salah Shines as Liverpool Beat Brighton 3-0
- UN Chief Calls Africa’s Security Council Exclusion Unfair, Outdated
Al‑Nassr controlled the match from there, and Ayman Yahya doubled the lead in the 78th minute to secure all three points and maintain pressure at the top of the league standings. With the win, Al‑Nassr strengthened their bid for the title, sitting one point behind Al‑Hilal. (Gulf News)
The goal was a timely reminder of Ronaldo’s enduring class, extending his remarkable scoring streak across 24 consecutive calendar years and underscoring his value even at an advanced age for an elite forward. (Gulf News)
Ronaldo’s absence in the past weeks sparked speculation about his future at Al‑Nassr, with some reports suggesting that unresolved issues over transfers and squad resources may have prompted his protest. The Saudi Pro League responded at the time by emphasising that “no individual, however significant, determines decisions beyond their own club,” amid discussion about the star’s dissatisfaction. (Reddit)
His return and goal, however, have eased tensions for now, with fans celebrating his leadership and contribution as Al‑Nassr chase silverware and league success. (The National)
Ronaldo Returns From Absence to Score in Al‑Nassr’s 2‑0 Win Over Al‑Fateh
-
Education2 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News2 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro3 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro1 day agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News2 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
metro1 day agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
metro2 days agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop


